Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
bring the allstar game to camden yards so i can go to a fanfest again for the first time since 1996

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

chamois posted:

i live in east atlanta and it would take me maybe 1.5 hours longer to get to camden yards than it would to get to trurist park lets do this

I like the cut of your jib, sailor!

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Barves fan and Nats fan agree baseball dumb, news at 11.

(oh man i hope you are for this joke to work!)

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

mcmagic posted:

I don't know that moving it will help but I know it won't hurt and it might help. That is enough for me.

I can't believe I'm agreeing with mcmagic. drat you, the future!

Take one for the team or don't, but don't pretend nobody is gonna get hurt when harm is intended on every side. If it was my sacrifice to make, for the greater good, I would in a heartbeat. Disenfranchisement is a denial of basic humanity, so whatever it takes to put a stop to that immediately and permanently is probably worth doing. I'm not exactly sure what this dumbass small business owner in Baltimore can realistically do in this situation, but I'm open to ideas because treating humans like they are humans is the whole reason I started this shop.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

So is this guy a Hotlanta parachute or what

In my head I just always assumed HOTLANTA was that guy who drunkenly fell off the upper deck at Turner Field screaming obscenities at A-Rod. I know that guy died and HOTLANTA still probably posts or something but, like, honestly I'm betting we could write a HOTLANTA soundboard post generator and not notice.

[edit:]dammit BOTLANTA MAN would be an awesome name

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Tweezer Reprise posted:

that’s not what anybody remotely said, the sentiment was more “don’t be a prick about it, as if your vitriol towards fellow posters that mostly agree with you actually accomplishes anything material”

Hey, lashing out at your friends and then criticizing them for being hurt when you're an rear end is a time-honored tactic. Works great for the problem of having friends.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

I like baseball, and the Nats are dumb and their dumbyheadedness is preventing me from watching the Nats this weekend. I am stuck watching the Orioles. Truly the worst of all possible worlds.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I saw a game at the Trop in 1998. It felt like a slightly bigger basketball arena, but I can't recall much on specifics, other than parking was horrible.

The Devil Rays did have a sweet deal that for $20 (or $25) you could buy an inaugural game program, T-shirt and poster. Still have all of them somewhere.

I went to a Rays game a couple of years ago at the Trop, and club level tickets had a face value of a hundred and twenty five bucks. I was amazed, because the four tickets we had still cost less than my wife and I to sit in the sun at Nats Park. So my well whiskey was paid for already, and I had a good time. And the Orioles won.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

doooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

euphronius posted:

Not accepting cash is completely illegal . Maybe there is a Covid exemption idk

Not only is this completely wrong and kinda shortsighted, there are and have been cashless businesses for at minimum decades. Usually if someone balks to me about it, I give them a number of easy alternatives and then point out the literal actual plot of the hit video game Tom Clancy's The Division, in which a weaponized form of the flu causes societal collapse because its main vector was twenty dollar bills released on black friday. Weird how that one hits home, huh?

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Please insist the Red Sox wear those in games.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

This is why facial hair needs to be banned again from MLB.

Facial hair is a bad idea anywhere, especially across baseball.

Jayson Werth's Beard

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

If one of those outcomes is pfc being less bitter and more fun I'm all for it.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

I might agree but drat if being able to roll up to a table and pluck infinite pork bun isn't my vision of heaven.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Golden Corral doesn't share pork bun. I think their target audience wouldn't get it anyway. Honestly I've only ever been to one buffet ever that had them, some random chinese buffet in Philly, they also had a Mongolian grill and surprisingly good pastry, but the only reason I went there was to eat my own body weight in pork bun. Mmmmmmmmm...

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Intruder posted:

I've never had pork bun but now I absolutely have to try it

Here in Baltimore there's a place that's occasionally open called Wow Bao and it's dangerous for my wallet when they are.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Wow Bao was open when I checked. Delicious bao incoming. What could possibly be greater in this world than knowing I shall soon have a pork bun in my hand.

(The nats are off today)

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Casnorf posted:

Wow Bao was open when I checked. Delicious bao incoming. What could possibly be greater in this world than knowing I shall soon have a pork bun in my hand.

(The nats are off today)

Bao consumed. Wish I'd ordered more.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

I think even an Astros main deserves some non-70's food once in a while. Let us know what you think! Let ME know cause I'm always excited to see people tryin' stuff.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

mcmagic posted:

I feel like Bao is a dim sum thing that you want to eat like DIRECTLY out of the steamer.

While it is better that way, it's not like pho where it can't handle even short travel.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Hand Knit posted:

If people would like to talk about food I would kindly encourage them to try tie it to baseball at least a little bit better.

Bao is shaped like a baseball, so it's like eating a fluffy baseball full of delicious pork. Just pitch them things right down my gullet.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Baseball is dumb long live baseball

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Bird in a Blender posted:

Now I’m wondering why MLB teams aren’t getting some sprinters and just teaching them to lay down bunts, or bringing them in as pinch runners in the playoffs.

Mostly because they, uh, can't, by and large. The pinch-runner-sprinter thing has been tried a couple of times but it's not worth the roster slot, and even bunting an MLB pitch is a mighty feat beyond the ken of mortal men.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Sydin posted:

Joe West won a defamation lawsuit against Paul Lo Duca and was awarded $500,000 in damages. :stare:

Imagine if news comes out that Cowboy Joe was actually fixing games, hahaha.

I have to imagine his defense was "I can't possibly have done that because a person doing that crime wouldn't be so loving inept at it or my regular job and also singing."

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

plausible deniability!

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Nine innings or nothing. Hahahaha

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Traxis posted:

He was never home plate ump in a game where Lo Duca caught Wagner, so it was obvious the story was bullshit from the beginning.

Ah so it was just being lazy he's being punished for, not actually defaming a dude whose reputation presumably can't really get any worse and faced literally no monetary losses because of a spurious accusation?

I mean don't get me wrong I'm all for true things I just wish I didn't so strongly dislike everyone involved.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

There's a component to reactionary rules changes that just feels...arbitrary. Like decreeing thus illegal but the only real justification you can muster is that you don't really have any idea what to actually do about it.

The seven inning doubleheader seems particularly egregious to me; basically every baseball stat is predicated on nine innings or some aspect thereof but regularly shortened games becoming an accepted variance rather than a wild outlier makes this clearly a new era of stats. Hooray the guys who figure out how to compare deadball-era guys to 70's players, I guess. Same for the runner on second: one of the inviolable rules of this dumb game was that getting on base was directly attributable. Even the dropped third strike is a K and an E2, though the inconsistency in number of outs (vs Ks) always bugged me.

I dunno. I'm all for a more moment-to-moment appealing game and if strikeouts are the prime culprit there maybe The Baseball Gods oughta take a glance at what's letting pitchers throw harder and with more variance longer and more regularly than shuffling the other eight guys on the field who've got little to do with it.

Basically ban the DH and the relief pitcher and you'll get the baseball you want, nerds.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Ban pitchers, then.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

It does seem odd that anyone would think baseball might have chain of custody issues.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

bawfuls posted:

he's a huge chud and harasses women on twitter how are you posting on the internet about baseball and unaware of this?

Also he's a smug rear end in a top hat who has smartest-guy-in-the-room syndrome but since he mostly only associates with ballplayers and idiot fans...

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Because they don't remember the 80s.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Ask me about being a Don Mattingly fan in 1989.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

RCarr posted:

McMagic posts on Twitter?

How would you tell his posts from the rest of Twitter?

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

MrMojok posted:

It's okay to hate on Bauer for being a chud and a malicious user of social media, but he is absolutely going to come close to his metrics from last season, and there is nothing that is going to prevent it.

I know a lot of you hang your hopes on MLB coming down on Bauer for "foreign substances," just like some of you hung your hopes on the Astros really being penalized for 2017, but SPOILER, just like 2017, it is not going to happen. Not one single MLB pitcher is going to be penalized for using foreign substances for spin rate, or for carrying around soup for his family.

Trevor Bauer might win the Cy Young again this season. Mark it down, motherfuckers.

Didn't know any MLB players posted here.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

From a homer to a bunt squeeze
And fans from the seas to the seas
We'll bicker and fight
Until long in the night
But we all agree: gently caress the Yankees

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Can you imagine a world where the Yankees are only usually contenders instead of perennially? Haha what if

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Twin Cinema posted:

I think being unhappy is just a symptom of being a sports fan in general. I am not totally convinced anyone actually enjoys watching sports.

No one hates sports like people who love sports. I wore one of my Nationals shirts today to a doctor's appointment and I may let the game watch me.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

According to ESPN an 8 man committee determined in 1991 that a game must go at least 9 innings to officially be recorded as a no hitter.

This is a big reason why two sevens doesn't make any sense to me. You're literally taking opportunities to be great away from players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

mcmagic posted:

Bauer is annoying but he's right lol Tatis did peek.

And? If it was such an issue you could pretty easily juke a hitter by setting up out of place and moving after or just changing your signs. Bauer is just the kind of guy who insists he couldn't possibly have done poorly.