Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
Can someone post the decklist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

Haven't had a problem here. Usually the high APM builds are trouble but they usually only get out of hand if you're late game and in the top 4 anyway.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

AnacondaHL posted:

this diagram slays me for some reason :laffo:

The esports intern is subcontracting things out to their preteen sibling.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All of the Book of Heroes and Mercs continue to remind me how completely bizarrely wasted their efforts are.

They paid voice actors for this! They paid artists for this! They even change cards to make more lore sense! But they seem to have dumped the deck and fight design on their lowest paid interns.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

BG above 5000 rank is extremely unfun. Everyone is going hard all of the time. It needs an unranked mode or something!

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

Shwqa posted:

Kalecgos gives stats if you play a battlecry minions but there is only two dragons with battlecries as far as I could tell. And the only neutral battlecries that seems to help is if you get Argus or a tea if you have amalgamations.

Even battlecries that don't do anything still give you +1 stats. And because you can sell them (because they also don't do anything), they effectively cost 2 gold. So you can get like 4 of any kind of battle cry for +20/+20 to your board each turn.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

For the past year everyone was complaining Paladin didn't have an identity and was too much of a mash of random ideas. Finally librams stuck and it took off from there.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

Not sure how else they could have been nerfed gibbering though.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

Except priest matches are exponentially longer than even other control matches.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

Mayveena posted:

This would have started development long before the lawsuit was announced. I'm sure they hope it's a distraction but it's couldn't have been created for that purpose.

why does it look like it's been in development for a weekend?

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

DS reborn Meaxxna sound especially awful

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

If I say well played at the end of every game no matter what, would it matter if I say it first?

It can also signal to my opponent that I have lethal in hand and they can try to plan accordingly. It's like saying check.

Maybe I just want to tell them I had fun playing the video game with them, and even if it may have been frustrating for them to lose, I'd like to acknowledge that they put up a good fight.

Disargeria fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Oct 12, 2021

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

I think there's too much emphasis on synergies without having enough width of options.

So this skill does piddly damage but DOUBLE against dragons. Well, there's only two dragons in the game that it would even work on.

This hero synergizes well with beasts. Okay, but you only have collected one other beast!

This hero has a combo skill, and your only other hero that could activate it has a slower skill speed.

This skill is only better than the other one if all three members are the same tribe.

The end result is I've got about 3 entirely synergistic team comps. The rest have dead weigh mercs or abilities that are only included because their contribution is higher than the low bar of not having any at all.

It really just pushes the idea that you need to find a powerful synergy comp (like Cariel/Xyrella/Samuro) and bulldoze over the 90% of comps it beats with those three and nothing else really matters. This leads to three outcomes:

1. You've got an incredible combo and pull it off. You win.
2. Your opponent has an incredible combo and pulls it off. They win.
3. Neither happens and you just mash weak abilities against each other until the least terrible comp wins.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

I believe that's stated in the tutorial. Ties between you and an opponent are random, but on your side you can set order.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

Lister posted:

Dear Somethingawful forums, I never thought it would happen to me....

So match making is broken. It is absolutely ripe for exploitation. I got to the top 100 of pvp by only playing bots with a 100% winrate. You can too. Here's the deal:

The bot system works to look for other players in queue using some algorithm that takes raw level, equipment (if equipped or not), equipment rank, and skill rank into consideration when matching. As you could imagine, balancing everything between those, coming up with a score, and then finding another person with a similar score is going to be tough. So blizzard matches you with a bot. This bot's team will mimic the exact same rank, lvl, equipment, etc of your team. The big thing here is that there is zero synergy of that AI team. As far as I can tell, it just picks random heroes. So if you can get two level 30 heroes, only rank up the abilities that synergize, and then fill out the rest of your team with level 1s, you're golden.

The team I used was Millhouse and Tyrande. Arcane explosion and arcane bolt are the ones to level along with arcane dust. For Tyrande, arcane salvo and elune's grace. I eventually coupled Cariel Roame with zero upgraded abilities, since even then, the taunt helps counter melee guys. Use arcane bolt turn one and salvo turn one. From there, use turn two to activate elune's grace and arcane bolt. It's random which will go first, but the hope is that elune's grace goes first and millhouse will use arcane bolt and pump the team's arcane damage up with two uses. If not, look at the board and decide if a double explosion is better or double single target damage. Even if one bolt will kill someone, the second bolt will attack the same target so you'll want to spread it out. It gets to the point where the extra damage is so compounded, and the aoe is so strong, that you roll everyone. A few times one of the main pair died but the filler heroes are still there to sub in and help out.

After your level one filler heroes get too high level for your taste, swap them out with fresh level ones. Remember that a key part of this is never spending coins to upgrade abilities for your filler team.

Enjoy your wins everyone.

Yep do this, and do it now.

1. You're never going to have access to more low level mercs than now.
2. They will presumably fix this at some point.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

Samuro

Scenario 1:
deals 10 damage, doesn't attack twice unless someone can put speed his attack
= 10 total damage (takes damage too! Hitting a 10 attack hero means he takes 10))

Scenario 2:
Deals 10 damage, hits again for 15
= 25 total damage (takes twice as much, 20 damage)

Scenario 3:
Has burning blade
Deals 12, plus 18.
=30 total (takes 20).

Scenario 4:
Also Xyrella debuffs (11 damage, -9 attack and always hits before him)
Deals 12, plus 18.
=30+11 total (takes 2 damage, but gained 4 HP for a net+2)

That's a 71 crit against a blue, and a 52 crit against a red and every follow up turn is going to be even more damage as Sam's next hit starts at 20 damage base.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

Yeah some of them are easy to cheese (damage => buffs/crits) and some of them complete themselves because they don't require that hero to do anything (do a bounty) and then others are like yeah use this Cooldown (3) ability 10 times. Or activate this deathblow condition a bunch.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

I think that they just have no concept of player time as a resource.

Look at the long animations, the fact that no one wants to wait around to lose for no reward, and the fact that you get more coins for failing more bounties in the time that it takes to do a more challenging one.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

Sir Lemming posted:

Yeah as someone who generally, I think, is enjoying Mercs, I am wishing PvP felt better. It feels like much more of a time investment with much less of a payoff. In theory you'd think it wouldn't be that way, but somehow it is.

Something about it seems not "predictable" enough, if that makes sense. Like if you pick the wrong comp to start with, vs. what your opponent picks, you're doomed, except you're supposed to sit there and let the whole thing play out. It's like Rock Paper Scissors except you both have to sit there for 5 minutes after showing your hands. I'm not sure how to fix that, obviously you should be able to pick any comp you want, but it just isn't working.

It's too shallow, there's no room to counterplay anything. You've got single digit numbers, almost binary ability choices, a 2x mod bonus across 3 entire colors and synergy like "great if you meet condition, bad if not". Maybe you've got 2 good pieces of equipment, but also lol if you haven't shelled out massive amounts of grind time to make any of your experiments even remotely useable.

They can't even add anything to it because it's just so shallow to start with.

And because it's so shallow, and because the grind is so insane, your best bet is to stick to a meta comp that works.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

8 mana: cute little plinks at the board for 10 damage!
3 mana: get a lil lifesteal to keep you going!
4 mana: maybe if you build your deck right you could get a big minion early! Tempo power!!

6 mana: just loving delete your opponent

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

I always thought the minisets were a chance to reexamine the meta at a later point and help flesh out poorly supported deck types with a few additional cards.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

The extra minion grows every 4 rounds. 3/6/12 etc

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

Just jumped into a round and yeah, it started as a 5 then a 10.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

I love when they wait so long between revisiting or enhancing underperforming archetypes that whatever poor support it had before is rotated by the time it comes around again.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

Jolly Jumbuck posted:

Maybe they'll have several isolated, poorly supported archetypes in Standard that eventually, when they pile up in Wild, will make something worthwhile.

This does kind of happen sometimes. Dragon pally was never really a thing but now it has a critical mass of dragons available to it in wild. The other problem is that newer cards tend to have more power creep, so really old archetypes suffer from their older cards being way too fair to play nowadays.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

I could see a "discover a Freeze spell/card" effect for Shaman that would get a lot of mileage

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

RatHat posted:

Pretty much an auto include in any Paladin deck right now

Lmao is this a The Wheel of Time reference? The show drops today.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

GTO posted:

### Dreck
# Class: Priest
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Gryphon
#
# 2x (0) Raise Dead
# 2x (1) Holy Smite
# 2x (1) Renew
# 2x (2) Insight
# 2x (2) Power Word: Feast
# 2x (2) Sethekk Veilweaver
# 2x (2) Thrive in the Shadows
# 1x (3) Apotheosis
# 2x (3) Gift of Luminance
# 2x (3) Nazmani Bloodweaver
# 2x (3) Palm Reading
# 1x (4) Drek'Thar
# 2x (4) Rally!
# 2x (5) Psyche Split
# 2x (7) Elekk Mount
# 2x (8) Power Word: Fortitude
#
AAECAZ/HAgKvugO7igQOk7oDlroDm7oDp8sD184DtNED4t4D+98DyuED++MDmOsDoPcDrYoEhZ8EAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

I don't think this is top tier but it is fun to play, has lots of decision making and leads to some funny games.

Had my most satisfying win in a long time today, vs a druid who roped every single turn for some reason (hatred of priest maybe).

They quit in the end after I copied, apotheosis'ed and duplicated their Greybough, then silenced it. I made sure to emote 'thanks' when they started trying to clear it and I got a full health reload.

This deck right here made my morning with it's crazy clowncar minigame

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

### Custom Druid
# Class: Druid
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Gryphon
#
# 2x (1) Adorable Infestation
# 2x (1) Druid of the Reef
# 2x (1) Peasant
# 2x (1) Vibrant Squirrel
# 2x (2) Clawfury Adept
# 2x (2) Composting
# 2x (2) Ram Commander
# 2x (2) Thorngrowth Sentries
# 2x (3) Frostwolf Kennels
# 2x (3) Heart of the Wild
# 2x (3) Oracle of Elune
# 2x (4) Dire Frostwolf
# 2x (4) Park Panther
# 2x (5) Arbor Up
# 2x (7) Frostsaber Matriarch
#
AAECAeSiBAAPudIDjOQDrewDyfUD0fYD9PYDgfcDhPcDrIAEiY0EoY0E56QE6aQEl6UEuL4EAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

This has been an enjoyable ladder deck with nice quick games.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

Okay but Smite also does a lot more and can be randomly summoned.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

ferroque posted:

The random summoning is a problem with the quest, then, not Mister Smite.

Believe it or not he also does more than just being summoned randomly!!

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

Starsfan posted:

It seems that much like Duels they released an unfinished game mode that no one put nearly enough time or thought into prior to shoveling it out the door.

I am still choked that I blew like 400 gold on those stupid buildings for a game mode I played for all of 2 hours (maybe).

They worked on it for TWO YEARS

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

Jedit posted:

I tried Brukan and I didn't notice anything special before I went out in 4th. I'm guessing you got some of the incredibly lucky stuff that would have won no matter who your hero was.

He's got a strong early game that can keep him going until you get some deathrattle synergy. He can force taunt and health onto things like a right side health imp without needing to fish for the taunt guy, or double the attack of a left cleave beast/mech. Most importantly the buddy will double the attack of the leftmost minion before summoning the 1/1s, so you can safely place him left of them too. Teregosa, parrot, and KT makes it silly.

He also nullifies most divine shields.

And he can change strats depending on who he's going against.

He's pretty good.

Disargeria fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 26, 2022

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

Why try putting it in a deck when we could instead speculate about a visual bug

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

Don't we already know how it works though? It's based on damage, hits, wins, divine shield pops, etc. It has a cap per turn. It's not a mystery.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

I guess I don't see how knowing the exact percentages is going to change any strategy. You're completely at the mercy of RNG to not get buddy-screwed by players with overly strong or weak boards, much in the way you also get screwed by the minions offered, other player picks, and fight orders. It's a chaotic mode by design.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

You're not wrong, but I think some context is important because we see it within standard Hearthstone itself.

As power levels crept higher, we saw more and more solitaire style decks present. These decks did not care what your opponent did or played. They did not care if you countered their cards or not. They had one game plan and it would either go off and win, or would fizzle and lose. Mirror matches between solitaire involved very little strategy, you simple played the game out to see who drew their combo first. You could argue that maybe picking certain decks to play against the field mattered, but the important distinction is that the turn to turn gameplay was quite dire with so many of these decks present.

In competitive hearthstone, these were non-existent and instead featured many tactical decks, where turn based decision making really mattered.

I'm just saying that BGs are leaning more and more into the explosive powercreep solitaire model where there is no point in tactical buddy placements, you are either going to get screwed by the RNG or blessed by it, so your best optimization is to double down on your own gameplan.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

RatHat posted:

Patch is out by the way. Of the new BG heroes I've only played Onyxia so far but she seems real bad

EDIT: I think Onyxia is one of the worst heroes in the game

Wow you weren't kidding

I think it might be bugged because I'm pretty sure the pirate dude will keep summoning dudes while locked for spaces. As it is right now, she'll only summon additional whelps if there is space.

Disargeria fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Feb 16, 2022

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

Warlocks are evil by nature, so no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

Another mage skin :argh: