Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

I only post in the Doomsday econ thread so I hope it's okay if I share my two cents here.

We don't know what is really happening in Xinjiang because the Chinese government is refusing to allow independent international journalists and NGOs to go in to investigate and document the practices. That is literally the only reason, and it makes no sense to use it as the basis for hesitating to call it genocide because absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, particularly when the only entity preventing the gathering of said evidence is the Chinese government.

Why are they adopting such a stance of aggressive stonewalling? After all, there has to be nobody in the world who wants to permanently refute these allegations of genocide more than China. Such allegations are terrible for a country's reputation and can hang like a black cloud over any other endeavor they might wish to pursue in the international arena.

People here constantly (and correctly) bash the Biden administration for refusing to allow lawyers into the camps at the US border and generally failing to be much more transparent when it comes to how refugees are treated. But it seems those same people are willing to resort to all sorts of mental gymnastics to avoid holding China to the same standards. Sure, there might be some reluctant admissions that China may be "too heavy handed" or they might be committing a few human rights abuses here and there, but there's a substantial and very noticeable amount of sympathizing with China. Why? What makes China deserve this type of benefit of the doubt? I mean yes, this is the leftist subforum, but when did leftists become fascist sympathizers?

I don't know why there needs to be a consensus on the definition of genocide among posters for there to be moderation, because these forums don't exist in a vacuum. The term has a well-recognized and widely accepted meaning in international circles:

And you know what? We know for a fact that the bolded one is happening. We know because Chinese officials have themselves confirmed half of it — that birth rates amongst Uyghur women in Xinjiang have plummeted. They of course denied that this was due to forced sterilizations, but one must ask if there's a meaningful difference between forced sterilizations, and imposing conditions on these women such that they must avoid getting pregnant at all costs, to the point where many are willing to undergo "voluntary" sterilization if they want to have any hope of meeting the conditions of their release (if they are even given a chance to try getting pregnant in the first place — we don't know if they are allowed to fraternize with men). Now, intent is a requisite of the "genocide" label, so you might ask, is the prevention of births the intent of the Chinese government? Who knows — the Chinese government won't let us independently interview the women ourselves. I'm sure the CPP is loving the fact that these women are learning Chinese and producing widgets instead of pumping out little Uyghur babies, though.

Putting all that aside, those refusing to call the treatment of Uyghurs "genocide" on the basis that "they are just re-education camps" should ask themselves what their reaction would be if the United States repurposed its camps at the border into indoctrination facilities where every incoming refugee must forget their Guatamalan-ness/Costa Rican-ness/Nicaraguan-ness/etc. and instead learn English and the American Way of Life and a set of skills determined by the US government so that they can be a "productive" member of society, before they are allowed into the country. I suspect that people here would be falling over themselves to label it genocide, then, and all these distinctions between real genocide and cultural genocide would be thrown out the window in a heart beat.

At the end of the day what China does is much more than a series of human rights abuses. It is a crime against humanity. Considering this, whether it fits the definition of genocide perfectly or only partially is almost besides the point.

Journalists are given access, as least in a pre covid world, even those highly critical of China like https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-asia-china-48667221
As has been posted before you can also literally visit Xinjiang, it is not an open air prison.
China is also open about its U2C population control measures and has removed the exemption from ethnic minorities in 2017. Uighur population in Xinjiang is still growing and has not declined.
What annoys me is that you can't just pick one of the aspects of cultural genocide and call it a day. Population control is enforced across Han Chinese as well, do you want to make the claim that the Han are genociding themselves? That's ridiculous.
As your hypothetical american reeducation camps the US does not need to do this in camps as the whole system inside the country is built around assimilation into the american way of life lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THS
Sep 15, 2017

i regret to inform everyone that i did give cspam too much credit. a lot of people here have not internalized a pure hatred for amerikkka and that’s why they continue to do a both sides thing. please continue with the whataboutism, it’s good and necessary

also trying to bring up ancient history or whatever is not just dumb but actually abhorrent. there is currently one state in the world which enforces its imperial hegemony at the point of a gun, and has recently murdered many millions, while displacing tens of millions more - all while upholding itself as a bastion of democracy, freedom, and liberty. it is truly sick and above and beyond worse than all second power competitors. there is no comparison, no one else is playing the same game, no one else is in the same ballpark

death to america

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsOMEUamYkc

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

oxsnard posted:

but again this is all based on "what about the US?" There are zero cspam regulars who think america is good, or there shouldn't be and they would deserve mockery and/or bans for posting "actually america is good" memes. You can think that the US is worse than China without turning it into "china is good"

There are people in this very thread who run cover for the US's concentration camps next door, fyi.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

The Oldest Man posted:

There are people in this very thread who run cover for the US's concentration camps next door, fyi.

who? Because gently caress them and they should be mocked and or banned

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

oxsnard posted:

I know we're not a name and shame others sub but any cspam regulars who do that should be ostracized in the classical sense

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I know we're not a name and shame others sub but any cspam regulars who do that should be ostracized in the classical sense

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

THS posted:

i regret to inform everyone that i did give cspam too much credit. a lot of people here have not internalized a pure hatred for amerikkka and that’s why they continue to do a both sides thing. please continue with the whataboutism, it’s good and necessary

also trying to bring up ancient history or whatever is not just dumb but actually abhorrent. there is currently one state in the world which enforces its imperial hegemony at the point of a gun, and has recently murdered many millions, while displacing tens of millions more - all while upholding itself as a bastion of democracy, freedom, and liberty. it is truly sick and above and beyond worse than all second power competitors. there is no comparison, no one else is playing the same game, no one else is in the same ballpark

death to america

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Ferrinus posted:

IS China adopting a stance of aggressive stonewalling? I know that UN inspectors are formally allowed in, though they complain of being followed by police. It's not really true that the region is a black box.

Separately, does China has a long history of genocide against the Han people, who have long been subject to childbirth restrictions?

literally the first hit on google https://www.statista.com/statistics/1063631/iud-contraception-use-in-europe/ posted:

In Norway in 2018, 23.3 percent of women aged 15 to 49 years were using intrauterine devices (IUD), the highest prevalence of this form of contraception in Europe. Estonia and France both had a prevalence of 21.5 percent of women in the country with an IUD. While in Albania and Poland, less than one percent of women had an IUD implanted.

Other contraception prevalence
Norway also has the highest prevalence in Europe of women using any form of contraception, with over 88 percent using any method. Czechia and Finland both had high levels of use among women with around 86 percent of women in each country generally using contraception. Furthermore, Finland had the highest prevalence in Europe of women using the male condom as their main form of contraception with almost 31 percent doing so. Condoms are currently the only form of contraception that prevents both pregnancy and the spread of sexually transmitted infections. 

High IUD rates being suspicious by themselves also seems like a strange assertion. Some people want to have sex without having children or going through a pregnancy or an abortion. I don't think that almost one-in-four Norwegian women of child bearing age having IUD's is itself an indication of anything other than women wanting control over their own bodies.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

THS posted:

death to america

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

THS posted:

death to america

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

comedyblissoption posted:

i mean wouldnt this principle mean you should credulously believe iraq has wmds or iran is about to nuke israel or qadaffi is about to butcher civilians or that morales stole the election

No, not really. If someone said that Saddam was about to gas the Kurds again, well, he's did that before. When the US claimed that Iraq had mobile enrichment centers for plutonium, lol, that's insane. Iraq had chemical weapons, but to claim they somehow developed nuclear ones like that was just stupid. Iran is belligerent with Israel, but they aren't stupid. They may want to eliminate Israel, but they'd like to exist afterwards too. States do things in their interest, even if we think that interest doesn't make sense or it offends us.

I didn't flesh it out in my previous comment, but if a country has a clear history of human rights abuses, well, why couldn't they commit another? And believe is too strong a term, entertain is probably more accurate. I'm willing to believe these kinds of things about nations just like I'm willing to believe a lot of the accusations thrown at cops, even if I don't have hard evidence for every single one, but that doesn't mean I'm willing to believe literally any accusation.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Admiral Ray posted:

No, not really. If someone said that Saddam was about to gas the Kurds again, well, he's did that before. When the US claimed that Iraq had mobile enrichment centers for plutonium, lol, that's insane. Iraq had chemical weapons, but to claim they somehow developed nuclear ones like that was just stupid. Iran is belligerent with Israel, but they aren't stupid. They may want to eliminate Israel, but they'd like to exist afterwards too. States do things in their interest, even if we think that interest doesn't make sense or it offends us.

I didn't flesh it out in my previous comment, but if a country has a clear history of human rights abuses, well, why couldn't they commit another? And believe is too strong a term, entertain is probably more accurate. I'm willing to believe these kinds of things about nations just like I'm willing to believe a lot of the accusations thrown at cops, even if I don't have hard evidence for every single one, but that doesn't mean I'm willing to believe literally any accusation.

i mostly agree with this but any mention of saddam using chemical weapons should also include the fact that the us were the ones that gave them to him

so yeah, we always knew he had chemical weapons because we had the loving receipts

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Gringostar posted:

like, has anyone actually said that china was wrong about sanctioning people in the trump administration here?

China sanctioning all those blowhards is less about punishing them and more about helping them not be hypocritical. Nice guy China helping them keep honest, so they don’t make a fortune in Chinese investments while advocating for them to Balkanize.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

oxsnard posted:

but again this is all based on "what about the US?" There are zero cspam regulars who think america is good, or there shouldn't be and they would deserve mockery and/or bans for posting "actually america is good" memes. You can think that the US is worse than China without turning it into "china is good"

never posited china is good just that if were looking at who is worst bad guy on the world stage with a proven track record of exporting violence and misery it is america and that this whole campaign of china bad feels a lot like the slow roll of what went on before the invasion of iraq hence im super loving skeptical about it all

like yeah china is doing some bad poo poo yet america literally turns a blind eye to a poo poo load of atrocities from so called "allies". so why this massive campaign of china doing genocide all of a sudden thats permeating everything when weve stood by and not given a poo poo when others do the same exact same poo poo and hell you can even get blackballed from academia for even positing that said allies are committing genocide

Agrajag has issued a correction as of 23:55 on Mar 26, 2021

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

THS posted:

death to america

literally this america is thousands of miles ahead in the crimes against humanity race than any other country in the world

people arguing from some moral high ground about china bad rings hollow as gently caress

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Admiral Ray posted:

https://foreignpolicy.com/2013/08/26/exclusive-cia-files-prove-america-helped-saddam-as-he-gassed-iran/

quote:

The U.S. government may be considering military action in response to chemical strikes near Damascus. But a generation ago, America’s military and intelligence communities knew about and did nothing to stop a series of nerve gas attacks far more devastating than anything Syria has seen, Foreign Policy has learned.

In 1988, during the waning days of Iraq’s war with Iran, the United States learned through satellite imagery that Iran was about to gain a major strategic advantage by exploiting a hole in Iraqi defenses. U.S. intelligence officials conveyed the location of the Iranian troops to Iraq, fully aware that Hussein’s military would attack with chemical weapons, including sarin, a lethal nerve agent.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Agrajag posted:

literally this america is thousands of miles ahead in the crimes against humanity race than any other country in the world

people arguing from some moral high ground about china bad rings hollow as gently caress

name and shame the people doing this in cspam tia i have no doubt that d&d is doing this even though i have not checked nor will i ever because d&d loving sucks

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

THS posted:

death to america

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Agrajag posted:

like theres some serious double standards going on here and makes me wonder what exactly the motivations are for this campaign going on in regards to china bad

Agrajag posted:

also having watched the slow roll of the Iraq war WMD campaign play out makes me extremely skeptical of whats being pushed out in regards to China bad

Agrajag posted:

our entire foreign policy history is literally manufacturing various excuses for invading other countries, violent regime change, proxy wars, funding death squads, and supporting/creating dictators that commit crimes against humanity/genocide

so why this campaign of china bad and committing genocide if it isnt literally to do one of these things?

Agrajag posted:

never posited china is good just that if were looking at who is worst bad guy on the world stage with a proven track record of exporting violence and misery it is america and that this whole campaign of china bad feels a lot like the slow roll of what went on before the invasion of iraq hence im super loving skeptical about it all

are you capable of forming a second thought on the issue

Eugene V. Dubstep has issued a correction as of 00:16 on Mar 27, 2021

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

are you capable of forming a second thought on the issue

Has anyone refuted the first?

THS
Sep 15, 2017

the truth is repetitive

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
all I'm saying is that "US/western imperialism is bad" is a base viewpoint among leftists. So while it's fine to point out the hypocrisy when joe biden or mike bolton try to wring their hands about chinese genocide, I don't think it's a particularly helpful point of reference on an ostensibly leftist internet forum

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

oxsnard posted:

all I'm saying is that "US/western imperialism is bad" is a base viewpoint among leftists. So while it's fine to point out the hypocrisy when joe biden or mike bolton try to wring their hands about chinese genocide, I don't think it's a particularly helpful point of reference on an ostensibly leftist internet forum

But what is the point then of continuing to belabor that China bad too? Who does it benefit except to own posting enemies? There is, at least , a benefit to westerners and Americans talking about American crimes because we can at least do something about it more than just have our country rattle a saber at a foreign power. If you just want people to admit China is doing a very bad thing, then congrats you seem to have already gotten it from everyone here. What else, then, is the goal?

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

really queer Christmas posted:

But what is the point then of continuing to belabor that China bad too? Who does it benefit except to own posting enemies? There is, at least , a benefit to westerners and Americans talking about American crimes because we can at least do something about it more than just have our country rattle a saber at a foreign power. If you just want people to admit China is doing a very bad thing, then congrats you seem to have already gotten it from everyone here. What else, then, is the goal?

I posted earlier that saying "china genocide!!!" as a posting own is bad too, I just don't find the back and forth rhetoric productive for the community. But yeah, china should be critiqued for the individual things they do bad. So you should be able to talk about the chinese shadow banking system or HK riots or them executing billionaires (yippee) without it coming back to GENOCIDE! chat. I'm with ya there for the most part :shrug:

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
the explicit question that started this thread is where the line on discussion around Xinjiang should be drawn, i.e. how do we define what exactly consitutes genocide denial in c-spam. palestine, yemen, the war crimes of the united states, etc. etc. have literally nothing to do with the factual question of whether a genocide is taking place in Xinjiang. but the people who keep saying that NO ONE would dispute that something bad is happening there seem weirdly reticent about actually discussing what that something is. instead they want to talk about anything else in the world except what China is doing to the Uighurs, in the thread about what China is doing to the Uighurs

contextualising the propaganda around the question is one thing. Explaining why the vicious American empire is lying about its enemy China is totally legitimate itt, imo. But the insistence that Westerners should not be talking about a particular genocide while other atrocities exist, in the thread about that particular genocide, is stupid

this is just not true. I keep reading variations on 'everyone has already admitted that China is doing a very bad thing!' but then two posts later someone refers that very bad thing as 'occupational training' or 'patriotism classes'. Am I allowed to call that gaslighting? It seems appropriate

Eugene V. Dubstep has issued a correction as of 00:53 on Mar 27, 2021

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
as a frame of reference, a better way to attack US and western anti-chinese propaganda is the ghost cities or covid responses. Those were examples where the west got it 100% wrong and China was mostly correct in their actions

THS
Sep 15, 2017

the thread was a release valve so this Hot Topic discussion doesn’t spill over into other threads earlier in the week. it could probably be closed at this point because i think most everyone has said their piece. there is an east asia thread, after all

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

an injustice somewhere is an injustice everywhere

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah

THS posted:

death to america

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

instead they want to talk about anything else in the world except what China is doing

this kind of thing appears to be pure projection. this is a 38 page thread with extensive discussion

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Brain Candy posted:

this kind of thing appears to be pure projection. this is a 38 page thread with extensive discussion

read the post quoted one above yours

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
I guess to the point of why isn't China just openly releasing everything to let people see for themselves is that it still wouldn't deter the USA. Iran followed everything the nuclear demanded from then and still the US just decided they are megahitler after all. Though liberals soothe their conscience by claiming it was just Trump doing that on his own.

Agreeing though with the notion that the thread has run its course.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
let's not let a consensus of five tankies backseat modding on friday night dictate whether the thread stays open

THS
Sep 15, 2017

i dont think ive been called a tankie before in cspam lol hell yea

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

oxsnard posted:

Dunno if I'm still under threat of orbital strike for Starting Cross Forums Drama but what the gently caress ever.

China concentration camps:

quote:

What will we accept as adequate clarity? At what point are we willing to actually call it genocide? Does this ruling also apply to WWII, the Armenian genocide, the genocide of Native Americans, the genocide of aboriginal people in Australia, or literally any other context or situation? The fact that there's inadequate documentation isn't incidental, but intentional, and any statement about how many people died in any of these other situations is also the result of a lot of guesswork and estimation, but no one denies that they happened in the modern day (with the exception of the Armenian genocide, natch). If you don't establish at what point you are willing to accept that "this is actually bad enough that I don't think we can get away with saying it isn't genocide", then you have created a situation where some number of people will continue to deny that it is happening well past the point where everyone except China is acknowledging it.

US concentration camps:

quote:

Okay, so are you going to address the argument about how you can tell how close or far apart people are based on the photos, cuz so far no one has made even a cursory attempt to explain how that is somehow more good or useful as evidence than actual numbers of people in detention in a particular place in comparison to the rated capacity under pandemic conditions. Eyeballing crowding based on where people are standing in a single snapshot is not useful or broadly indicative. The whole reason I linked to the article about news stories running wide-angle lens photos is because we have spent the whole past year seeing people do this exact thing, and when you add in the fact that "my inauguration was the biggest ever" was the first Trump admin lie I have no idea why people would ever trust a photo to be an accurate reflection of the distance between people. Don't settle for low-value evidence just because you don't have high-value evidence at hand, research and agitate for better reporting standards, more transparency from the admin, and then make a judgment once you have the facts rather than using incomplete evidence to draw low-certainty conclusions.

Same poster.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

Flavius Aetass posted:

don't worry about next door, just understand that i was able to open the topic up a bit on C-SPAM but it's still going to be a sensitive issue to post about so mind that when you do

i promise nobody here is going to get banned for anything they've said itt so long as it doesn't take a sudden turn into idk, like straight up nazi poo poo (not comparing what's been said to nazi poo poo)

i'll be closing it tomorrow sometime since I think we've sorted it out and I want the other mods to have a chance to give their 2 cents

But why start actually reading the thread now when you can just call people tankies instead

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

THS posted:

i dont think ive been called a tankie before in cspam lol hell yea

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

The Oldest Man posted:

Dunno if I'm still under threat of orbital strike for Starting Cross Forums Drama but what the gently caress ever.

China concentration camps:

US concentration camps:

Same poster.

I mean if that's d&d not much we can do besides laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Junkozeyne posted:

But why start actually reading the thread now when you can just call people tankies instead

grow a thicker skin