Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dolphin posted:

if the us wanted to go to war with China we would have actually just invented poo poo about covid, that was the best opportunity not mistreatment of muslims

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1246170496669847553?s=19

https://twitter.com/IlvesToomas/status/1368912499232358410?s=19

https://twitter.com/DrAdeleDiamond/status/1251952133580054529?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baykin
Feb 11, 2008

Dolphin posted:

aren't you accusing the us of trying to start a war?

Again, this is you not understanding the concept of burden of proof.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

another thing is that there is actually a lot of internal uyghur support for the anti-radicalization efforts. not absolute of course and there is definitely resentment brewing but you gotta remember that "radical islamic terrorism" wasnt some dogwhistle or abstraction in xinjiang like we think of it in the US, this was at their doorstep, they actually were being regularly attacked, terrorized, and these programs have produced favorable results.

i mean take whatever you want away from that but just something to keep in mind if you start getting white savior brain

:siren:

hey i can tell everybody right now that regardless of C-SPAM mods' opinions this is the kind of post that will have people baying for permas

don't justify whatever you want to call what is going on in xinjiang like this or it's going to cause problems for all of us

i don't care if you're right or wrong about this. be careful how you talk about it

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

THS posted:

some people don’t see the US media as an extension for american interests, for the US state. of course it is, doubly so for reporting on overseas issues. but it’s separate to them, as if one can discuss these narratives in a vacuum without critically engaging with where they are coming from or why

But, would you agree that this is not unique to America? It just matters the most in regards to America because of their overwhelming reach, and since most of us are Americans.

I just see people who, rightly, recognize this in American media, but then lose their skepticism entirely when it comes to anything and everything in Chinese media. As if China isn't manufacturing its own consent. And, I honestly don't get it.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

BrainDance posted:

But, would you agree that this is not unique to America? It just matters the most in regards to America because of their overwhelming reach, and since most of us are Americans.

I just see people who, rightly, recognize this in American media, but then lose their skepticism entirely when it comes to anything and everything in Chinese media. As if China isn't manufacturing its own consent. And, I honestly don't get it.

im not on the receiving end of a lot of chinese media, got to be honest with you. cant even read most of it

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Flavius Aetass posted:

hey i can tell everybody right now that regardless of C-SPAM mods' opinions this is the kind of post that will have people baying for permas

don't justify whatever you want to call what is going on in xinjiang like this or it's going to cause problems for all of us

i don't care if you're right or wrong about this. be careful how you talk about it

im not justifying it, i even touched on the hosed up poo poo the cops will do to this end.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Flavius Aetass posted:

Could have just said this was always about thought police.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Dolphin posted:

I'm having trouble finding it, does anyone know what china considers "extremism?"

from the research i did into the topic several years ago from academic anthropology sources, it can be essentially what is considered orthodox Islam in many other Muslim-majority countries

it's a very crude analogy but imagine that Uyghurs traditionally practiced acoustic guitar praise song christianity and most people weren't really all that religious but they still identified as christians and believed in god

then some missionaries and access to education turned a lot of them into strict catholics

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

im not justifying it, i even touched on the hosed up poo poo the cops will do to this end.

Lostconfused posted:

Could have just said this was always about thought police.

it is what it is, i'm just saying :shrug:

Baykin
Feb 11, 2008

Flavius Aetass posted:

Could you explain further what you mean about being careful about it? I have no idea if what was said is even remotely true, but if it is, how could the feelings of the actual population being affected not matter?

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

another thing is that there is actually a lot of internal uyghur support for the anti-radicalization efforts.

But how do you even know this though? Genuinely, because I don't know (I have more tact than to go around asking people in Xinjiang about it) but I would be skeptical of anyone saying either this or the opposite.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Baykin posted:

Could you explain further what you mean about being careful about it? I have no idea if what was said is even remotely true, but if it is, how could the feelings of the actual population being affected not matter?

I mean the admins took a look at this thread today because they were very concerned and the thing that satisfied them was that people were mostly saying "we know really bad things are happening there but we doubt the veracity of the claims that there are literal death camps, etc."

If they had instead seen a bunch of people justifying it and saying maybe it works that qcs thread would have turned out very differently

and regardless of whether that's what F Stop Fitzgerald meant, that's what it would appear like

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Baykin posted:

Again, this is you not understanding the concept of burden of proof.
Nah, they're two different issues with two different burdens of proof

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

cause really thats whats happening, its loving goddamn cops being lovely. i dont mean to minimize it, its just that being from america its hard to act like theres some kind of unique oppression happening.

BrainDance posted:

But how do you even know this though? Genuinely, because I don't know (I have more tact than to go around asking people in Xinjiang about it) but I would be skeptical of anyone saying either this or the opposite.

probably worded it crudely since afaik theres no polling or anything, the support was from religious leaders and uyghers within the party. you could probably shut me up by bringing up black community leaders support for the crime bill lol but i honestly dont think china and the US can be compared like that.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
This has been a good thread I will definitely agree with the whole 'human rights violations are happening' and the real question is to what degree. Also free Zeno-25 his probes/bans were mostly just counter-trolling against people who were saying that if you questioned if people were being flayed alive you were a genocide denier.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Flavius Aetass posted:

If they had instead seen a bunch of people justifying it and saying maybe it works that qcs thread would have turned out very differently

and regardless of whether that's what F Stop Fitzgerald meant, that's what it would appear like

i think the problem here is no one agrees what "it" is

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

The Oldest Man posted:

I'm not asking about an ideal world. I am asking do you, right now, support intervention by the US government against China to include economic sanctions and/or military action and do you support intervention by other world governments including China against the US to include economic sanctions and/or military action?

this is an important question to keep in mind, because imperialist propaganda loves painting war as some grim inevitability rather than a conscious choice

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
To rephrase my last post less wall-of-texty and less dangerously, this is such a flashpoint because some of the things China is doing are real fuckin' bad, more of the things China is allegedly doing are even worse, and we've spent some notable chunks of our lives being mocked as bleeding hearts and occasionally punished for pointing them out when they occur elsewhere only to have those same concerns thrown back in our face as vitally and uniquely important, often with weaker evidence, by the entire moderation apparatus here and the broader mass media.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

like yeah if you truly believe the zenz line, then my post was extremely hosed up. saying concentration camps work is pretty bad!

Baykin
Feb 11, 2008

Flavius Aetass posted:

I mean the admins took a look at this thread today because they were very concerned and the thing that satisfied them was that people were mostly saying "we know really bad things are happening there but we doubt the veracity of the claims that there are literal death camps, etc."

I know that this might ultimately be a really terrible idea overall, but could you maybe request in the mod forum for everybody to read and/or participate in this thread or maybe their own thread? I feel like this is important enough of an issue that management as a whole should probably have some discussion about. If that ultimately leads to mass purges of CSPAM then better sooner than later lol.

like yeah if you truly believe the zenz line, then my post was extremely hosed up. saying concentration camps work is pretty bad!

Would you be able to find any sources for your claims about the feelings in Xinjiang, if only to satisfy my own curiosity?

THS
Sep 15, 2017

i think we should copy the “post my favorites” subforum and everyone gets their own thread about xinjiang that only they can post in

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Baykin posted:

Would you be able to find any sources for your claims about the feelings in Xinjiang, if only to satisfy my own curiosity?

https://www.qiaocollective.com/en/education/xinjiang#responds

e: like i said i didnt mean to imply i had some polling numbers, but theres a lot there

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

THS posted:

i think we should copy the “post my favorites” subforum and everyone gets their own thread about xinjiang that only they can post in

it's only slightly more masturbatory than posting in a regular thread

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Baykin posted:

Specifically what I think this thread is about is that posts like this:

lead to user's being incredibly frustrated and responding with posts like this:

keeps happening repeatedly and the ban reason flat out implies that there is in fact genocide commencing.

I'm aware this isn't in CSPAM or how the exact order of posts played out but it's an example of the types of punishment that's been repeatedly handed out in CSPAM lately and this thread thankfully looks likes its going to curb it.

quote:

Congratulations, your genocide denial has earned you another ban! You're well on your way to a perma. I advise you to never discuss genocide here again.
:toughguy::911::toughguy:

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

gently caress im gonna get banned arent i

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Yinlock posted:

this is an important question to keep in mind, because imperialist propaganda loves painting war as some grim inevitability rather than a conscious choice

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

:twisted:

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

The Oldest Man posted:

These two points specifically are where I'm at. I don't post a lot about China but the degree to which the moderation team in general is willing to police the discussion about the US's ongoing genocidal projects according to the US government's propaganda line and police the discussion about China's ongoing genocidal projects also according to the US government's propaganda line makes it pretty hard to take the idea of an honest discussion on these topics seriously.

Crusty Nutsack posted:

when you talk about the mod team policing discussion about the US's genocide projects, are you talking about cspam mods?

The Oldest Man posted:

No but the China rule is not solely the province of the CSPAM mods so this conversation not addressing the wider site is part of what makes me skeptical that it's really all that honest to begin with.

Sorry about the quote spam but I wanted to resurrect this exchange from the very start of the thread because what I was talking about became immediately relevant to the thread.

Flavius Aetass posted:

We are - in my opinion - grappling with the problem of how to discuss ongoing human rights abuses in a foreign country under the constant fog cloud of disinformation and propaganda being emitted by our own government apparatus to justify the use of economic and military warfare against a state enemy, while simultaneously being inspected by the invisible Eye of Sauron for their definition of wrongthink. They see. They evaluate. They listen at least in part to a shitbird bad faith poster who runs to QCS and starts a brigade thread to call Flavius a genocide denier which, ok, lol, but anyway:

Baykin posted:

I know that this might ultimately be a really terrible idea overall, but could you maybe request in the mod forum for everybody to read and/or participate in this thread or maybe their own thread? I feel like this is important enough of an issue that management as a whole should probably have some discussion about. If that ultimately leads to mass purges of CSPAM then better sooner than later lol.

It's pretty hard to suspend disbelief that this is an honest conversation when the only person from the mod team who is actually engaging with the issue is forced into looking over his shoulder constantly to avoid being vaporized while meanwhile it is straight up against ModLaw to call a concentration camp a concentration camp next door because too many nationalist zealots have a loving meltdown when you use accurate terminology?

That seems unbelievably loving lovely and the worst part is that it's making it hard for me to call Flavius a piece of poo poo now, what the gently caress

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I am wildly unaware of any concentration of islamic extremists in xinjiang that would, even if scaled up by a couple orders of magnitude, justify anything close to the scale of imprisonment they've faced. While I've seen uighur names turn up in various records from jihadi groups in the middle east, that concerns maybe dozens of names and the names are disproportionately more common there because they keep floating around because China has resisted ever taking them back going back at least two decades now

the idea that the population in xinjiang has so many extremists in it that this is some kind of a popular policy locally just seems categorically loving ridiculous without some absolutely massive evidence of such. Cracking down on specific extremists is probably popular, because no one ever likes extremists regardless of whether it's religion or politics involved. The suggestion that cracking down and arresting and sending to re-education camps a significant fraction of the entire muslim population in xinjiang is popular among the muslim population in xinjiang is frankly comical

Serf
May 5, 2011

the end result of this thread was always gonna be skeptics getting banned

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Serf posted:

the end result of this thread was always gonna be skeptics getting banned

genie...you're free

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

don't worry about next door, just understand that i was able to open the topic up a bit on C-SPAM but it's still going to be a sensitive issue to post about so mind that when you do

i promise nobody here is going to get banned for anything they've said itt so long as it doesn't take a sudden turn into idk, like straight up nazi poo poo (not comparing what's been said to nazi poo poo)

i'll be closing it tomorrow sometime since I think we've sorted it out and I want the other mods to have a chance to give their 2 cents

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Herstory Begins Now posted:

the idea that the population in xinjiang has so many extremists in it that this is some kind of a popular policy locally just seems categorically loving ridiculous without some absolutely massive evidence of such. Cracking down on specific extremists is probably popular, because no one ever likes extremists regardless of whether it's religion or politics involved. The suggestion that cracking down and arresting and sending to re-education camps a significant fraction of the entire muslim population in xinjiang is popular among the muslim population in xinjiang is frankly comical

yeah that would be weird if they supported that particular thing. seems like theres been a lot of doubt about that happening though, itt

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Flavius Aetass posted:

don't worry about next door, just understand that i was able to open the topic up a bit on C-SPAM but it's still going to be a sensitive issue to post about so mind that when you do

i promise nobody here is going to get banned for anything they've said itt so long as it doesn't take a sudden turn into idk, like straight up nazi poo poo (not comparing what's been said to nazi poo poo)

i'll be closing it tomorrow sometime since I think we've sorted it out and I want the other mods to have a chance to give their 2 cents
well gently caress i guess I'll cancel my megapost

Serf
May 5, 2011

Flavius Aetass posted:

what is the conclusion we've arrived at? it feels like nothing has been actually agreed upon and things are even worse than when we started

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Serf posted:

what is the conclusion we've arrived at? it feels like nothing has been actually agreed upon and things are even worse than when we started

My guess is that this thread has proven that so long as you post "there's something happening and it's bad" at some point then the admins won't swoop in to ban for genocide denial.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

yeah that would be weird if they supported that particular thing. seems like theres been a lot of doubt about that happening though, itt

haven't seen a single person in here actually suggesting that tons of uighurs aren't being imprisoned, so idk about that

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

The suggestion that cracking down and arresting and sending to re-education camps a significant fraction of the entire muslim population in xinjiang is popular among the muslim population in xinjiang is frankly comical

It's not that wild a claim. American policing is objectively monstrous, and yet despite recent protests and general shifts of the discourse I can still safely say that, among Americans, police enjoy widespread support. Obviously, race plays the decisive role here, but when the police DO brutalize or kill white people the victims are largely assumed to have deserved it or at least acted stupidly such that cop overreaction is at least a little their own fault.

Uyghurs are like 45% of Xinjiang's population (with the runner up clocking in at 40 or so) and longstanding policies of, basically, statewide affirmative action means that they are highly placed in the local government, judiciary, etc. The people getting invited or ordered into reeducation camps are probably the poorest and most rural slice of the region's population, because on one hand they're the most "at risk" of radicalization and on the other hand are the farthest from, and therefore most of need of integration into, the urban labor pool. Between those poor bastards and the actual elite (who you might accuse of being compradors, traitors to their countrymen, whatever) are surely a broad swathe of people who just go to work every day and might feel any which way about how the government treats the poorest and least educated among them.

That is to say, people often approve of policing even if the policing itself causes massive harm to those actually subject to it.

Baykin
Feb 11, 2008

I am wildly unaware of any concentration of islamic extremists in xinjiang that would, even if scaled up by a couple orders of magnitude, justify anything close to the scale of imprisonment they've faced. While I've seen uighur names turn up in various records from jihadi groups in the middle east, that concerns maybe dozens of names and the names are disproportionately more common there because they keep floating around because China has resisted ever taking them back going back at least two decades now

I'm still in the process of reading through a number of the interviews that F Stop Fitzgerald linked just up this page, and I don't deny the absolute possibility that they could all be coerced or just flat out made up entirely, but taking them at face value, there are a LOT of accounts directly refuting the claims. I won't lie that this is certainly planting me pretty firmly in the "sucks that there's not a better way to handle it, but who am I to argue with the actual people living there?" camp.

I'd really prefer some forms of actual polling as well as full on interviews of people that have been detained and then released (assuming hopefully that they exist).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

haven't seen a single person in here actually suggesting that tons of uighurs aren't being imprisoned, so idk about that

the only evidence of that has been repeatedly posted and dunked on for using zenzs methodology just today. it was pretty funny lol