Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Hairy Marionette posted:

I mostly stick to the Teunp thread and haven’t noticed any significant discord caused by the situation, but I’m going to throw in my two cents cause posting is more fun than working.

So what qualifies you to speak out about the other threads in the forum if you don't participate in any of them? This isn't a troll or attack, it just seems to me that a lot of people post solely in that thread, pop out to start a fight in another thread, and then go back to the trump thread to rally people for them.

Hairy Marionette posted:

The Chinese are probably doing a genocide. It seems like a bit worse of a genocide than the one America is doing at our southern border. Both empires are evil.

It's been constantly been proven that many of the articles stating Ugiyur genocide have been sourced from Adrian Zenz or the state department.

Zenz is a born again evangelical who believes god has given him/the US the goal of destroying the CPC. Additionally he's a scholar for the victims of communism foundation. The victims of communism foundation is most known for blaming the death of corona virus on the CPC, and also trying to mark down every nazi killed in WW2 as a victim of communism. Ontop of this Zenz doesn't speak a lick of Chinese which seems very odd for someone who is so invested in China.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Has there been active moderation of people getting slapped for "genocide denial" and if so can I see some examples?

There have been several people slapped in the covid/climate change threads I believe.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Posters can be pretty aggro if you're fairly ignorant to certain issues, I don't know about China much and I've wanted to ask questions about the region cause I know next to nothing but I also don't want to deal with some of the more toxic posters so I just lurked it most of the time. Pulling up people's post histories just to shut down discussions is pretty dumb imo and that should stop if people actually want to try and discuss things and not just yell at each other.

I don't think this is true at all. I definitely was a dick to someone I didn't think was operating in good faith when asking questions about China in the communism thread, but other people engaged earnestly and there was good discussion. The same happens in the China thread.

I know that greenwald is charged topic but when someone stumbles into the greenwald appreciation thread and goes "greenwald dumb" you can kind of assume that they're not operating in the best of faith. I don't think that all trump thread posters are bad, the ones that are more active in threads that I post/lurk in a lot seem to be the ones that start a lot of fights.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

THS posted:

I don’t think there is any way to setup a poll of active CSPAM posters that wouldn’t be abused, but anecdotally the active participants of the threads do not have an issue with the topic as it was being discussed, or at least do not consider banning it as being appropriate even if they disagree. If someone from the Trump thread or D&D or GBS can’t handle a discussion of China that doesn’t obsessively manufacture consent for the new cold war with China, they should probably not read the LF or China threads in CSPAM.

I really think the mods, including Flavius, have been so flippant and arbitrary on this issue to a degree that I do not really see value in having an “honest discussion” about this topic. I argued my points in the LF thread already. This is a private forum, though, and so all I can do is grovel - so I plead that you use your buttons less on this topic and generally.

Moderation in a forum like this should be reserved for distinctly toxic actors who manage to make the entire forum about them and have no interest in contributing to discussion. It isn’t for enforcing a line.

Lastly, you say you aren’t enforcing the “CIA line” - but anyone with an understanding of how ideology functions should know you don’t have to consciously do this when the mainstream coverage of China is as warped and pro-western as it is.

FREE ALL CSPAM POLITICAL PRISONERS

This is a good post, i'd add that Brutalist McDonalds was a mod for quite a while and no one was complaining about him.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Hairy Marionette posted:

AnimeIsTrash, why do I have to justify my qualifications regarding my views on China, but you do not? This isn’t a troll or attack.

Regarding my qualifications, I was a bit of a Chinaphile when I was younger. Studied Chinese language and history in college and even went on a study trip to Beijing, Chengdu, Shanghai, and Tibet back in 04.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Hairy Marionette posted:

What is your point?

I was just responding to your qualifications with my qualifications. Just so we're on the same footing. This isn't a thread for silly slapfights, it's for talking about CSPAM moderation. Thank you.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Kindest Forums User posted:

A good thought experiment is to think about the alternative, if China completely severed from the region. Xinjiang would become its own country and closed off from China with border controls. What would become of the Uyghur population? Would they be able to thrive as the rest of the world develops? Maybe? Would they even be able to retain their original identity and culture, considering the rising influence of radical Islamists in that area? I wonder what Xinjiang would like if the west didn't destabilize the middle east and radicalize a huge portion of muslims.....
In this scenario, where Xinjiag is its own country. what would happen to young people that would want to integrate into the world economy? Wouldn't they have to move to China or the West where no one speaks Uyghur? How would they maintain their culture if they wanted to escape rural poverty (especially as climate change puts immense pressures on the region).

Something the moderate rebels guys pointed out on this week's episode is that the sanctions on the Xinjiang province would eventually cause the Uighur population to move in order to find things like jobs. People also cite declining birthrates as evidence of there being genocide, it wouldn't be much of a stretch to also point to fleeing populations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Algund Eenboom posted:

Amerikkka is the most evil country in the world, and if you disagree dont post in this forum

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

swimsuit posted:

maybe if you arrange all of this information in a misspelling of the word "trump" they will understand, op

Lmao and people wonder why people don't like trump thread regulars.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

THS posted:

sorry, i assume some historical knowledge that i shouldnt probably. it would be an incredible reach to blame china for korea, and the civilian death count was attributable to US bombing over everything else. and regardless, the more recent iraq invasion, collapse, refugee crisis, interventions in yemen, libya, syria, etc- are far more relevant to who is way loving worse as far as killing, maiming, starving, and upending lives

The US wiped out 20% of the loving population of North Korea at the time along with destroying any infrastructure that existed in the county. NK quite literally had to start from the ground up with a 1/5th of it's population killed after the war.

I don't understand how China could ever be blamed for that.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

cagliostr0 posted:

Is there a good reason to have a safe space for posting genocide denial after R.guyovich got deadmined for denying this particular genocide?

Can you provide a source for this? I have seen that he was going around and stalking users and saying the ugihurs deserved what they got, and I have yet to see anyone provide proof of that either.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

lol the Rguy "genocide denialism" is basically just poo poo that gradenko, brutalisst, ths, myself, etc have posted itt

This is my recollection as well. People got angry at him because he would probe the morons who said racist poo poo in the GBS thread. I think he was done with this place for a while and the qcs thread was when he just left.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

if you go back to the beginning of the Eurasia thread its p much just homex and pener kropoopkin arguing with gbs racists and baloogan, it owns

I went back and read some last night and :laffo: people were linking radio free asia as sources in C-SPAM.

AnimeIsTrash has issued a correction as of 16:31 on Mar 25, 2021

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Nix Panicus posted:

Homex was also weird about the DPRK

I think part of it was that Homex was engaging with some of the biggest shitheads on the forums who were constantly screaming about the billions murdered by communism, which put them on the defensive. CSPAM was certainly shittier in the past

He's not wrong about the DPRK, it's the same situation that is about Xinxiang, we hear almost nothing about it outside of the state department apparatuses. We killed 20% of their population and wiped out all of their infrastructure, they have ever right to hate the US.

In the previous page of that linked thread people are screaming about him "purging" members of the forum on mass. Totally good faith posters like this one

Fallen Hamprince posted:

While reading R. Guyovich’s posts about Xinjiang, keep in mind that he also regularly holds ‘purges’ of D&D where he summarily bans dozens of D&D posters for “making bad posts” about politics, society, and current events.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Dolphin posted:

Again, as I stated, I'm not reading these articles. This is an exercise where I test a hypothesis that the response to any article or source will be met with the same strategy of attack the source, dismiss the data, allege conflict of interest.

It's the same thing chuds and blue checkmarks do when you say like "no, actually most undocumented immigrants pay taxes and are less violent than the general populace" and they go "heh, look at that source :smug:"

As someone who consumes media, especially if you are a leftist you have to be mindful of the biases that are coming from media. We've seen time and time again, western media manufacture consent for American imperialism. You should be dubious of it by now.

People keep on pointing out the sources because it's very telling that all roads lead to the same end source. A born again evangelical who believes that god has chosen him and the US to destroy the CPC, doesn't speak a lick of Chinese, and is part of a "scholar" of the Victims of Communism foundation. The same foundation that wanted to mark all nazi deaths in ww2 and coronavirus deaths as victims of communism. How on earth can you trust someone like that?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

THS posted:

hopefully this is a honeypot and tomorrow we all get perma-banned. finally free

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

lmao now flavius is the genocide denial mod

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I don't know if this is a thread for greater moderation issues but can we talk about megathreads?

I don't think that megathreads are bad, for example we have the Eurasia one since all the threads about individual countries didn't see much posting and got killed off. The same is true with Latin America, Africa, etc. Some seem to produce very toxic personalities and environments for example I can't remember if it's the covid thread, or the climate change thread but one of them has resulted in 6 divorces.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Serf posted:

gotta be the covid thread. the spouse facts revealed there have been wild

that was the covid thread, which incidentally, last winter, was the most racist ive ever seen cspam since back when we had actual trump voters here

Lmao

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The Oldest Man posted:

I looked away from this thread for a day and came back to 500 posts and Zenz apologism what the gently caress

You forgot the part where someone accused Ben/Max of taking Putin money.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Imagine coming to CSPAM and accusing known journalists who have been on RT, and other foreign networks to talk about American imperialism of being foreign agents. :laffo:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

THS posted:

yeah i think Zenz is becoming less useful, the insane book he wrote is legitimately embarrassing. if they are smart they will find some “Eliot Higgins”, the type of guy you can do a nice NYT or Guardian profile of who isn’t of the belief that the End Times are upon us.

Some D&D goon is probably rubbing their hands eagerly at the opportunity.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Much like robert evans and brown moses they will be constantly haunted by being called "CIA" in every thread they are in.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

THS posted:

read posts on reddit (dont read reddit) and the uhh “discourse” on china is quite something

Anywhere that isn't CSPAM, rhizzone, and marxist twitter are the only places where discussions about China don't evolve into racist poo poo about Chinese people. It's legitimately very frustrating.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

really queer Christmas posted:

This does not surprise me, based on the posters that left and stayed gone lol

It is wild that Pener left for BNR, he was a good poster imo.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Flavius Aetass posted:

I can't say I blame anyone for leaving at the time. There are a lot of posters I wish would come back.

Yeah absolutely but lol @ what happened in BNR.

The goon that was a taintrunner apologist even after the rape stuff came out also mentioned there was a fight between admins and smarxist got pushed out.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Throatwarbler posted:

Hey guys as a former resident of the XUAR and one with close family ties to the region, I just want to point out that there are no restrictions on travel or tourism to any area in Xinjiang. All the arguments here about whether this or that mosque was demolished or whether this or that building is this or that seem very dumb to me because someone could just...walk over there and check it out? It's like people in China who have never read a thing about America having some drawn out debate over the American genocide in Baltimore, MD based on images from Google Earth, because Baltimore, MD is a black hole of information?

Also please visit Xinjiang, the economy especially in Uyghur areas is heavily dependent on tourism and there's a lot of food and culture to be enjoyed. Just off the top of my head, There are several museums in Turpan that have great exhibits documenting an ancient system of underground irrigation used by the Uyghurs that used to be common in central Asia but were deliberately destroyed by Genghis Khan in his crushing of the Kwarizm empire that it basically never recovered in most areas. For Europeans, Emirates and Qatar have daily flights to Urumuqi and Yinchuan from their hubs in Dubai and Doha.

Finding an English link to it is a bit hard but this description seems broadly in line with what I saw.

https://www.farwestchina.com/travel/turpan/uyghur-karez-wells/

Thanks for bringing this up again, I remember someone earlier on mentioned that journalists weren't allowed in the region and I completely forgot to respond.

There have been journalists that have gone to the region and reported back. Carl zha was one of these people and was interviewed by Mark Ames and John Dolan about it. They also had another guest on another episode talking about the same thing but their name escapes me at this time.

https://podcastaddict.com/episode/77636485

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Prince Myshkin posted:

The famous Soviet death camps of Auschwitz, which the Soviets also deviously liberated, perhaps as some elaborate form of Asiatic trickery.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

And people wonder the trump thread posters are so hated. Lol

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

This conversation feels like what happens constantly in the chapo/podcast thread where people who don't listen to the show live in a completely different reality than those who do.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

This thread rules.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Me a genius D&D poster: Hey you know all these things that were debunked earlier in the thread, what if they're all true.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

THS posted:

i regret to inform everyone that i did give cspam too much credit. a lot of people here have not internalized a pure hatred for amerikkka and that’s why they continue to do a both sides thing. please continue with the whataboutism, it’s good and necessary

also trying to bring up ancient history or whatever is not just dumb but actually abhorrent. there is currently one state in the world which enforces its imperial hegemony at the point of a gun, and has recently murdered many millions, while displacing tens of millions more - all while upholding itself as a bastion of democracy, freedom, and liberty. it is truly sick and above and beyond worse than all second power competitors. there is no comparison, no one else is playing the same game, no one else is in the same ballpark

death to america

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

THS posted:

i dont think ive been called a tankie before in cspam lol hell yea

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Getting called a tankie in a leftist forum ftw!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018