Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

That was a hell of a race, but I feel like it was a throwback PI race the kind we just get sometimes - pack of 10 swapping spots throughout, this could be 2022 or 2001 for all I know.

Good poo poo though, and who would have thought the by-god Suzuki would win that. Rins on Repsol next year could be interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

italian quid posted:

I honestly think the Nakagami thing happened purely because Ogura very wisely realised that the more time Honda has to sort out their poo poo show before he gets on the bike the better he will look so he isn't in a rush to grab that seat.

Yeah this is how it feels to me too, Honda want a Japanese rider and Ogura isn’t ready/wanting to step up yet.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

KodiakRS posted:

Michael Masi was at the track this weekend. Just make him the race director/chief steward/whatever. What could go wrong?

I thought he’d gone back to the Supercars in Australia, where he was before Formula 1 and (in fairness) getting promoted too early because Charlie Whiting died.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Q2 never disappoints.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

SocksAndSandals posted:

All in on those first two points. Marc is somehow using cheatcodes in real life

Marc is using his elbows to save things again, he juuuust miiiiight be back. Just need Honda to finally pull it out and build a better bike for the mere mortals.

Miller could also be in that title fight next year if the KTM gets better too.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Of course Suzuki show up once it no longer matters for them.

Tense final race, and man, they just keep going further over the top with the championship celebrations every year on the cool-down lap eh?

Fabio looks completely spent, hell of a champion's ride. hopefully the Honda and Yamaha both improve for next year.

[edit] lmao in the crowd of cheering Pecco fans they showed a guy with a 46 shirt and 93 hat with his arms crossed, full appreciation for the hateration on display.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

echomadman posted:

:laffo:
MotoGP has had its share of dramatics over the years.
Rossi-Biaggi,
Rossi-Gibernau,
Lorenzo-Pedrosa(king of spain involved to mediate),
Rossi-Stoner,
Rossi-Lorenzo,
Rossi-Marquez,
Rossi-Marquez & Lorenzo

this is forgetting the even older ones, like Rainey and Schwantz absolutely loving hating each other

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Deeters posted:

:suzuki:

I think getting told the team was dissolving really took the wind out of everyone's sails. Earlier in the year it looked like the Suzuki could almost match Ducati's power on the straights.

Yeah, they always seem to struggle with development but winding the team up didn’t help. Mir and Rins had weird years, let’s hope their move to Hondas doesn’t wind up in bad injuries for either.

Arson Daily posted:

*checks app*

MOTHERFUCKER!

Lmao

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

SocksAndSandals posted:

what actually went wrong/changed with Aprilia?

They went to circuits they haven’t been to since they had a completely different (bad) engine concept, so didn’t have setups and such. And MotoGP practice is so high pressure because it’s basically qualifying from the jump.

Maybe Valencia just didn’t suit the bike, but the fly-away races definitely screwed them up.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

italian quid posted:

That was a new team running Aleix and Binales. I think a serious championship challenge was always going to be incredibly aspirational and they should be over the moon that they did as well as they did

Aleix finishing ahead of all the Hondas, all the KTMs, and every Yamaha bar Fabio is unreal. Hell of a season and it’s definitely mystifying that the expectations could be justifiably set that high.

Testing is going on at Valencia, time to see people in new teams ahead of next year.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

algebra testes posted:

20 years ago it was mentioned Repsol basically doesn't even pay them much sponsorship money Honda just do this poo poo regardless.

Oh yeah it’s absolutely Honda Japan pushing the marketing angle with a dash of getting engineers some experience as well. Not shocked if Respol’s rates are pretty small, that’s not been the point since tobacco money ruled the sport.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Russian Bear posted:

I'm just saying that regular people buying red bull at a convenience store or grocery isn't the main market. It's the bars, hotels etc etc that buy many cases at a time.

Right but the point is Red Bull is taking $.50 of ingredients and can, maybe $.50 of logistics per can, and even selling it wholesale still has a ridiculous profit margin. Ignore what the retail price is, the margin is what matters. Tobacco worked the same way, the margins had to be enormous.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Toe Rag posted:

How are they monitoring the pressures? Or is it already being monitored by the teams and the FIM now has visibility? idk, they're all running basically the same tires, right? Or at least choosing from the same options? If you have a bike that works at 15psi then I guess that's all part of the game? :omar:

Until this year, the TPMS systems weren’t A. Unified across the grid and B. Sending the data securely to Dorna. Both those are corrected for this year.

The problem is as mentioned, especially the aero is working the front harder than it was really designed for, so we’re back to 880cc races but caused by a different factor.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

If they’re going to have sprints every week, they can’t have the Q1/Q2 sessions set by all practice times, because that’s putting too much pressure on the Friday. Maybe going to IndyCar style groups for Q1 and then a Q2 of the top X riders would be the only way, maybe choose the two groups by odds and evens on the time sheet.

I’m also against the sprints because A. That’s some WSBK stuff and B. It’ll lead to these crashes throughout the weekend.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Russian Bear posted:

What I’m hearing is it’s all Michelins fault.

Nah, it’s letting Ducati push the limits with aero.

If you stripped all the aero off, the front wouldn’t be as stressed, and you would see the 2017-18 level racing again. Coincidentally they wouldn’t have the worries about people getting pinged for TPMS infractions. Huh.

But because the aero helps with wheelies it’s been allowed to stay and help ruin the racing. It’s a shame.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Oh man, if we’ve got proper Marquez back…

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Russian Bear posted:

Sprint race should be on a slightly different layout on the track (shorter). But I guess not every track has alternate layouts that are certified.

You’d also need to move all of the marshall’s posts between the last session and that, so it’s really not an option.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

tony quidtana posted:

What the ever-loving gently caress is with the new theme music on the dorna feed? I'm not opposed to changing it but I'm turning on to watch motorcycle racing not some lord of the rings fantasy rip off.

First the sprints, now the fake Avengers-rear end theme music. MotoGP is really just aping the form of F1 without understanding the why behind it.

Embrace tradition, is what I’m saying.

https://youtu.be/wOI0XgII0z0

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Slavvy posted:

:same:

Someone asked what the minimum tyre pressure rules would do and this race is a good demonstration

:sickos:

Can’t wait until it becomes a smart idea to take a couple pieces of aero off to manage tire pressures better.

Nice work by Rins to manage it. The Mooney boys are also pretty impressive.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

tony quidtana posted:

If Bagnaia is under pressure that's down to him. Ducati can be a rider woodchopper but that's a known quantity at this point and going to be a part of the package that is having the best bike on the grid.

And with Ducati, even when it wasn’t! :dadjoke:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Eg quartararo is probably the best guy there with Marquez injured but it's entirely possible he won't win a race this year because his bike is so far back.

And that’s because the bike is maybe 1% slower and worse than the others. Maybe.

Also am I the only one seeing that Aleix quote and thinking Aprillia made a Yamaha? :v:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Slavvy posted:

People like to blame the aero but all that does is make the setup window broader for everyone

From what I gather (wearing a dunce hat and reading Mat Oxley) is that the aero really pushes the front tire and increases the internal tire temps, which is why so many breakaway packs are riding in formation like it’s 2009 and we’re back with the 880cc bikes again. Try to pass, overheat, sit and wait a few tenths back, repeat.

I think they banned some of the shapeshifters this year and that’s helped a little bit, but Honda having a lampshade on and Suzuki deciding to commit seppuku were both really harmful for the pre-COVID balance of “five or six bikes can battle at the front” thing that was awesome to watch.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

That race was wild in the best way possible.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Boco_T posted:

If only there were someone, anyone else to blame to explain why last year's bike is beating this year's bike on the track.

From memory, the factory team and Pramac have the 2023 bikes, VR46 and Gresini have last years’ one.

Bastianini has been out injured, Zarco just got a podium and so did his teammate Martin, and Pecco’s won races. Bez looks like he might be of that alien breed, Alex Marquez is certainly talented and quick, Marini is handy, and that leaves really Giannantonio as the only guy a real step down out of the Ducati riders.

The bikes are closer than ever, the improvements aren’t a second a lap year to year like in the old days, so this isn’t really a shock.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Slavvy posted:

I'll bet that's his manager with dollar signs in his eyes, rip toprak

BMW still has RoKIT sponsorship? Have the checks continued to clear?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Russian Bear posted:

There’s motogp this weekend.

it's Mugello, which should be brilliant, but the 24 and the sense that we might be down a number of riders again (Mir already pulled out, Aleix should, Oliveira might) just makes it feel grim.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Pecco, bloody hell he just broke the track record in Q2 by 0.3 second

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Marc might be happy after next weekend since it’s at Sachsenring, but through to the end of the season I think he’s gonna get more and more frustrated. The Honda isn’t working for the alien nor the mere mortals.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

tony quidtana posted:

If he gives Aprilia an excuse they'll push him out for Marquez first chance they get.

I might be wrong but I don’t see Piaggio spending the squillions needed to get Marquez. Ducati or KTM (Red Bull money), maybe, but less so Aprilia.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/denkmit/status/1672907344420765697

That’s uh…some statement 😬

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

tony quidtana posted:

I thought the race was this weekend and press conference was today, what the ever loving gently caress did they do to the MotoGP app on Apple TV. I literally can not pull up any of the racing sessions or anything now. it's worse than useless.

They absolutely killed it, don’t think it has No Spoiler mode anymore even.

Next weekend is Silverstone, where apparently they’re bringing in tire pressure monitoring fully, so we’ll know after the race who has been Actually Cheating.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I got an iOS app update yesterday that had the description “complete revamp of app,” lol. Think that was a carryover from before.

Poking at it quickly, it feels like the first version came out really half-baked. Now you can click that filter seen here on the right

Chris Knight posted:

It's not very obvious from that answer, but check on the Watch tab, if you see All Videos and Videopass, there's a slider to set the default.

That's iOS so hopefully they didn't gently caress up the Android one too.

And that’s the way to go browse the back catalog by year, by video type (Full Race), etc.

So they’re playing with how they present the information to you, but it should all still be there. Somehow. Let’s hope it’s fine this weekend.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

tony quidtana posted:

I get a lot of panicking/the wheels are coming off vibes from Dorna lately.

Family business has grown too big vibes for sure.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Chaos :sickos:

[Edit] That last lap :vince:

harperdc fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Aug 6, 2023

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Slavvy posted:

I'd argue that the one and only development rider you have is worth more than that, but maybe they see something in one of the younger guys on that front. Martin isn't developing poo poo, he's too much of a meathead, the 46 boys are on old bikes so that leaves bagnaia, a known particular rider who's bike doesn't work perfectly for the others, and bastianini, an unknown quantity.

during practice and the sprint/race it sounds like Bastianini is struggling coming back from injury (cue surprised face) and getting to grips with the factory bike with all these new parts and not the established bike with a solid setup sheet (extra surprised face).

it might have been a lot to ask Bastianini to do anyways, but doing so missing about half the season and trying to come back from injury? feels like a quick way to get demoted, especially as big a knife fight the Ducati ranks seem to be. (Bezecchi is the one that looks the most like having alien potential to me, Bagnaia might be close but a Lorenzo type. Martin is a bit of a meathead, look at this past weekend).

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

KTM not planning for Acosta's ascension is like the biggest own-goal I've seen for years.

What do you mean, setting up a new team or taking over a satellite squad are plans A and B!

They just haven’t worked.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Slavvy posted:

The rationale is that a mature package with a strong, tight team is better than being a test mule with an ever-shifting bike. My bet is he's angling to get straight on the factory bike at the next contract cycle after doing some championship damage over the next couple of years, his career will be fine.

I think the only rationale is that - use the bike with the year of knowledge and setup sheets - plus his relationship with the team. I'm guessing he either had crew members who didn't want to go, or weren't allowed to.

it seems really strange, but it might also be a way to give Bez some more experience and seasoning before going into the factory pressure cooker. More contracts are up after next year, too, after all. Or to keep his options away from just Ducati alone.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

algebra testes posted:

Oh no! This looks super bad.

Five riders skittled at the first corner because Bastianini sent it up the inside.

Going out of that first chicane and up the hill, :nws: Pecco high-sides from the lead and looks like his leg got run over by Binder :gonk:

Let’s hope he’s not hurt too badly

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

tony quidtana posted:

Enea didn't get a fair shake for sure. I'd hope that he does but I could equally see if Martin goes on a run the pressure with in that team basically ends up with him being written off and booted from the factory team.

Or switched with Martin. Enea didn’t even make it through the first full GP weekend of the season, it’s a shame. Now he’s looked completely lost both from recovering physically and understanding developing a bike instead of taking the year old one with setup sheets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

tony quidtana posted:

Every time people bring up the Marc to KTM thing their supporting evidence has been his links with Red Bull. Which is a bit eye rolling to me.

They’re literally his agents now, and produced that documentary on his injury/recovery that came out last year. And on the other side they’re elbows-deep connected to KTM as well.

It’s more than a spurious link IMO.