Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Gosh. In our non-superflex dynasty league every team has at least 2 QBs and most have 3 or more. That's some real bad drafting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I agree JT is a stud. But... Kittle at 5 is amazing. There's an injury risk, sure, but you're getting a young top 2 tight end, and there's a big falloff in TE scoring in the top 12 TEs each year.

Depending on what else you have at RB I'd take that trade.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I, too, run a dynasty league on MFL, and I agree that there's no good way to assign dynasty salaries to all the players objectively. Part of the reason is that there's no "standard" dynasty scoring rules, every league seems to have wildly different rules and stuff like taxi squads, contracts, whether you use FAAB or free agency etc., roster sizes, all have an effect on relative player value too.

If you want to add salaries I think you need to redraft. Also agree do it auction-style, it's the best.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

kiimo posted:

I meant this

Yeah we have owners with permanent supercheap players and others with players hideously overpaid and we have regular arguments about whether cap space should double as your faab budget (it currently does not) etc. and we started with a proper auction draft. If you have people who picked up a great player for a buck they are gonna have a significant advantage that you can't fairly deal with.

I mean go for it if the whole league wants to do it, and if you're playing with a bunch of very reasonable-minded folks maybe you'll be able to navigate it. But please do let us know how it goes!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

wait are people still drafting deshaun watson? I assumed he'd likely be suspended all year, even if he settles his legal cases, which is not at all certain right now?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

In dynasty, team need can easily trump best-available-at-that-pick, yeah. Additional concerns can include salary cap, roster space, and homerism. Ideally you'd trade back rather than overdraft your guy, but like in my league half the owners have never made a single trade, so that's not a certain option either.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Spermy Smurf posted:

https://www64.myfantasyleague.com/2021/options?L=79286&O=07&F=0002

We've got another opening in our IDP dynasty league. The team is linked above. Dues are $30.83 and we're looking to draft by the end of the month.

The team finished 7-6 last year which is a wildcard contender. Finished one game out of first in the division, so almost a playoff team.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3740832&pagenumber=142#lastpost
Here is the forums thread.

Just FYI, this team has pick 5 in the rookie draft. The roster has a decent amount of free cap space (our salary cap is $250), and the owner never traded picks so these are the full rookie picks:
Year 2021 Draft Pick 1.05
Year 2021 Draft Pick 2.05
Year 2021 Draft Pick 3.05
Year 2021 Draft Pick 4.08
Year 2021 Draft Pick 5.05
Year 2021 Draft Pick 6.08
Year 2021 Draft Pick 7.05
Year 2021 Draft Pick 8.08
We don't snake in round 2, basically. After our (slow) rookie draft we'll have a veteran/free agent auction just before the regular season starts. This is a good league! I know the rules document is long but don't worry about it most of the rules make sense and we'll talk you through anything weird. Basically, we have taxi squads and IR slots, do IDP, all free agents during the season are acquired via FAAB auction so you never have to camp the wire and try to grab suddenly-relevant free agents, and we're a reasonably fun bunch of goons that you'll get along with.

join us

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

A few notes:

• five IR slots is quite generous, but maybe smart in these covid times
  • if you can, instead of 25 yards per point, do 0.04 points per yard. It's really stupid to have your score drop by a whole point because a guy gets stat corrected from 75.1 yards to 74.9. Same thing with rushing 10y/pt, do 0.1pt/yard instead.
  • think about -2 INTs carefully. -1 and -2 are both very common, but at -2, a lot of marginal QBs become un-startable due to interception risk. -2 is OK of course, but don't just do it blindly is what I'm saying.
  • Check for combination IDP scoring that can be silly. For example, a strip sack counts as both a sack and forced fumble (at least it does in MFL)
  • I can't fathom why anyone would have D/STs in the same league as IDPs. The whole point of IDP is to not need to do D/ST any more, because D/ST is dumb. Also don't do kickers. Kickers are also dumb.
  • By your scoring, a player who fumbles (-1) and then recovers their own fumble (+2) earns you a net point. You may also be doing -2 actually for the fumble though, since you have -1 fumbles and -1 fumble lost. Make sure you wanted that overlap, if it exists.
  • In our league we bumped up tackle scoring and lowered some other IDP scoring, in order to keep them from being quite so swingy. There's a lot of IDP guys who will get 50 or 60 tackles on the year, and then three random weeks they'll get sacks. Do you want those guys to be startable?

For reference, here's our dynasty league's IDP scoring. We've adjusted several of these values over the year. They currently result in IDP guys being as important as offense skill players - in some weeks a DB has the highest score. We also start 6 IDP players (and 7 offensive players).

0.5 PPR. Each reception by an offensive player is worth half of one fantasy point.
Offensive scoring:
Passing yards: 0.04 points/yd
TD pass thrown: 4 points
Interceptions thrown: -2 points
Rushing yards: 0.1 points/yd
Rushing TD: 6 points
2pt rushing conversion: 2 points
Receiving yards: 0.1 points/yd
Each reception: 0.5 points
TD reception: 6 points
2pt receiving conversion: 2 points
Kickoff/punt return yards: 0.04 points/yd
Kickoff/punt return TD: 6 points
Fumble recovered for TD: 6 points
Interception return TD: 6 points
Blocked punt or FG return for TD: 6 points
1 point Safety: 1 point
Fumbles lost: -2 points
Defensive scoring:
Solo Tackles: 1.5 points
Assisted Tackles: .75 points
Sacks: 4 points
QB Hits: .75 points
Tackles for a Loss: 2 or 3 points (2 if includes sacks, 3 if not)
Interceptions: 9 points, inclusive of Pass Defensed
Passes Defensed: 3 points
Forced Fumbles: 4 points
Fumble Recoveries: 2 points
Safeties: 6 points
Blocked Kicks: 6 points
Touchdowns: 6 points
Rushing yards: 0.1 points/yd
Receiving yards: 0.1 points/yd

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Levin posted:

Thanks for your input! Unfortunately I don't have little control over these things and think they are locked in for this year at least. On the plus side I believe the yardage is calculated based on fractions per yard.

Seems like there's debate every year about whether or not to include IDPs, there's a vocal minority that absolutely hates them, in part because of their swingy nature which you've noted. I remember when JJ Watt was gold because he'd rake in receiving TDs alongside his incredible defensive numbers.

Any thoughts on how to factor the scoring/roster into ranking lists? I figure it ups the rankings of QBs somewhat, but hard to say how much. A cute trick sometimes has been to find a WR or IDP that does a lot of returning which bolsters their points total.

Also just catching up, I assume expert rankings are taking into the consideration the possibility of players contracting Covid-19 given what I learned about Lamar Jackson having contracted it twice and still debating whether or not to get vaccinated.

Dynasty rankings always take a ton of salt because there basically is no "standard dynasty scoring" the way there is with redraft. Add in IDP and you make it even less reliable.

In my own league I refer to past seasons to see how scoring pans out, it's nice to be able to look and see for example the top scoring players of all time list and see the mix of positions there. Of course a player being on that list doesn't even mean they were owned or relevant since flukes happen (there's two entries on that list where the player was a free agent in the league at the time, lol) but it's illustrative that we've balanced scoring so that no one position dominates.

The more roster spots, the less important having a dominant player at one position gets; that applies to QBs as well. You can win this league without having a top QB, or without having a top RB, etc. especially if you put together a monster 6 IDP guys. That said, the winners of our league tend to have good choices across their whole roster without too many weak positions.

So to answer your question, how to factor scoring/roster into rankings lists? I look at rankings lists in terms of tiers, at best, and would never have a problem taking a player early or late within their own tier. Taking a player a tier above or below I need to justify in some way - could be based on our scoring, or could be based on my read. But you know what? Even the best fantasy football evaluators out there are wrong probably 60%+ of the time! There's so much random chance in this endeavor. At some point, whether you're scoring tackles at 1pt or 1.5pts each, whether you've got return yards, whether you're putting a premium on interceptions, etc. just doesn't matter as much with evaluating picks because who the hell can say which of the third-tier DBs are gonna get the most interceptions this year? Nobody, that's who, and anyone who ranks them by projected INT numbers might as well be picking numbers at random.

Lastly: I very much doubt that most fantasy player rankers are taking into account which players have hinted on twitter that they haven't vaxxed.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Spermy Smurf posted:

I am going to assume the week 16 Kamara absolutely destroying my championship chance is #1 on that list. That link can stay blue.

lol yup

but look at number three!

he was an FA when he did this!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

In our dynasty rookie draft, I took Etienne third overall yesterday afternoon and then he died 2 hours later.

And I had a trade offer for my 1.03 that would have gotten me two later 1st round picks (plus a later round pick swap). I feel completely numb about this now. Just... gently caress me. What a godawful way to start the fantasy season.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If CeeDee Lamb is now CDL, I vote we should be calling him Commercial Drivers License from now on.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

RCarr posted:

I have Perriman in dynasty. Any chance he gets picked up by anyone or should I cut him? Full ppr

I mean, he could be picked up by someone, but it'd be for like their 6th WR or maybe even taxi squad poo poo. Do you want to own this guy in dynasty any more? Seems like he's a consensus bust.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Darwin Thompson has been picked up by the Bucs and signed to their practice squad. There's still hope.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Fate Accomplice posted:

see I thought best ball was just not managing start/sit decisions, but you still managed the roster.

that is...real dumb!

Strictly speaking, you're right, "best ball" means you have a roster, no sit/start, and the app picks your top scorers for the positions each week.

But, on top of that, you can do a draft-and-done league, which really only works with best ball. You need deeper benches than you'd typically have for a regular redraft non-best-ball league, and the whole affair has more luck involved because if you have 2 QBs and they both get injured mid-season, you've definitely lost. For that reason your draft choices change a lot; if you have the roster space, for example, you should draft a third QB, possibly the backup for one of your starters if he doesn't suck too bad.

The fun part of this is you can do like six of these leagues just by drafting pre-season and then it doesn't add a big load to your weekly fantasy football management schedule.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

dy. posted:

Bell I think actually might play some football for the Ravens.

Bell is on a practice squad. There has to be an actually-rostered RB on your league's waiver wire that is a better long-shot handcuff than Bell. I dunno, maybe he's about to stage an epic comeback story and reclaim his rightful place as the bellcow of a playoff-contending team, but the odds are not good. I like to roster longshot gambles like that too, but never at the expense of a player (or in this case, d/st) that you can actually start this week and thereby probably get more points this week.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If your league has open free agency where whoever camps twitter gets to act on this sort of news within minutes, then it's the other people's fault for not being obsessed with football news 24/7, go ham.

In other news, gently caress that setup for those of us with real jobs and lives, lol. FAAB-only is the Way.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

RCarr posted:

Does FAAB just affect waivers? After waivers clear players still become free agents, no?

Yeah I kinda mixed messages there: I like FAAB better than just a waiver priority based on w/l record (or rotating or whatever); and, I also prefer no free agency. In our dynasty league we have a waiver auction handled by MFL every wednesday, saturday, and sunday morning. Dropped players can't be added for 24 hours, and added players can't be dropped for 24 hours, so no shenanigans are possible really. Everyone in the league has a reasonable shot at any suddenly-valuable player, provided they have cap space and have FAAB dollars left.

Not everyone in the league, historically, has loved this; some folks really like being able to act within seconds of their twitter feeds telling them to pick up Gus Edward's replacement or whatever. But this is one point I'm never gonna budge on. I've played that way and I tended to be one of the ones camping the news and I hated it. It's no way to live. I need to have breaks from fantasy football.

sourdough posted:

The alternative of being unable to make roster moves on game day is worse

That's why we have a waiver run at 11AM EST on Sunday.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Cool, I drafted Gus as my RB1 last night. That rocks.

I drafted Travis Etienne at 3rd overall in our annual dynasty rookie draft and he got hurt like 2 hours later; but it was OK, see, because I had Gus Edwards rostered already, so I still had a starter. Now, I have one starting RB (CEH) on my roster. And it's Dynasty so you can guess how many RBs are on waivers.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

sourdough posted:

That's... not the only game day lol

So everyone needs to roster multiple QBs and TEs, in case their guy gets ruled out during pregame warm ups? Like, Dak pulls a hammy tonight and whoever has him is just hosed this week? You can't really think that's better

Your guy isn't getting ruled out during pregame warmups unless he's already Questionable and you had opportunities to roster a replacement. If you choose to have no backup at a position, that's a team manager decision to prioritize your roster spots otherwise, and that decision could backfire, yes.

And yeah this is dynasty. But I think it can work even in redraft. It has implications for how you manager your roster, but having implications doesn't automatically make it worse, just different. And the benefit is that you're not hovering over your twitter feed all fall and winter when you're at the grocery store, on a date, spending time with your kids, etc.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

sourdough posted:

Just don't do this part and then the waiver settings can be normal

Someone in your league will do this, and they will have an edge.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ten bench slots and five IR slots and 12 taxi squad slots and go ahead and start 16 guys too, gently caress it. There's a ton of dudes in football, let's roster them all. 32-team league, auction draft, let chaos reign

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

CEH's been getting the chiefs to near the goal line and then having the TD vultured by a backup or a pass. It's concerning if they're always gonna put in a different back on short yardage situations through the season.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah especially before the full preseason played out, there was plenty of speculation that Jimmy G was going to be benched by game 1. It was a reasonable late-draft flyer to take.

But as things have played out, right now he's nothing more than a handcuff. Jimmy's taken this team to a superbowl, they're not going to bail on him this season unless he implodes. I expect Lance to be used on an occasional play, and of course he's the #2 if G gets injured, but he's a safe drop in redraft.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

kiimo posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with CEH

I think this has been an aberration of the Chief's first two games; their play calling, mostly, plus two defenses (browns & ravens) who are very good vs. the rush. Last week he only got 13 carries, and the TD rushing opportunity was vultured by Williams, and he had a rare fumble. He was also kept out of the passing game entirely, and I'm not sure why or whether that was again just an aberration.

This is my league view, but it's got useful information from MFL for his matchups:

I'll start being worried if he runs poorly against the Chargers, who are ranked 28th in rushing D. Next week its the eagles, which should be another good one. If he isn't looking great by then, I'll likely be sitting him week 5 vs. the bills, but after that he has another few softer run Ds to face.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

So to revisit the CEH discussion: 100 yards rushing, 2 receptions for 9 yards, a TD, and a fumble. In my league, that's 15.9 points.

Still worried?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bellmaker posted:

Eh, I wasn’t too worried, the first two games were against rough defenses.

It was nice to see him involved in the passing game.

Oh yeah, it was a passing TD, too. Which, he's still not getting rushes at the goal line and I think that's worth a concern or two. Williams was in on red zone plays a lot. CEH had 17 carries so that's a YPC of 5.9, much healthier than we saw the first two weeks. All that said, I think in redraft he's a matchup-dependent flex option for now, and not the every-week stud that people were hoping for, at least until we see this production become consistent.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

MFL had no stat corrections to Myles Garrett in this week's stat corrections report. This is our scoring for him for week 3:

4.50 6 QB Hits
9.00 6 Tackles
0.75 1 Assists
18.00 4.5 Sacked a QB
8.00 4 Tackles for a Loss
40.25 Subtotal

I think he was previously showing 5 or six solo sacks in some leagues so that may be the adjustment. Depends on how you score sacks, and whether you also score them as tackles, TFLs, and QB Hits. If you're not careful with your scoring setup you can accidentally make sacks be worth like ten points.

40.25 isn't on the all-time high records for our league but it's currently going to land at about #26 or so all-time (MFL shows top 25, and #25 scored 40.84).

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 30, 2021

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

RCarr posted:

That’s not what the system is there for. It’s to vote to stop people from cheating. Not vote whenever someone’s team gets better and you get salty.

Asking owners, all of whom have a direct conflict of interest, to judge whether someone is cheating via voting, is fundamentally broken. It only ever works when people charitably vote to allow trades despite trading tending to make one or two teams they are in competition with better. E.g., it's a system with perverse incentives built in.

I think it's refreshing to have an owner openly state that they're going to vote in their own interests as long as they have a vote, and that's a helpful wakeup call for that league to get rid of stupid loving owner voting on trades.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Pain of Mind posted:

The only trade that I vetoed (that later turned into a giant argument about women's rights and ability to make decisions for themselves) was when someone who was out of playoff contention traded a top 10 RB for a backup TE because they liked his name better.

Yeah that sort of thing is best resolved with league rules prohibiting trades either after a certain deadline, or between teams eliminated from playoffs and those not-eliminated, or both. But if you didn't have the foresight to implement rules like that, then it's the sort of thing a commissioner should be ready to veto.

It also usually comes down to a big disparity in experience or expectations w/r/t the league; someone thinks it's super-casual for laughs and a trade like the one you described is hilarious, someone else takes it seriously and that trade fucks up the whole playoffs. Setting expectations before week 1 is another good practice.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

CEH is just a sprained ACL. Will miss "a few weeks." Wheeew. Thought for sure watching the game that he'd blown it and would be done for the year.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm up by about 1.5 points going into tonight, where my opponent's Buffalo safety Micah Hyde and my Buffalo safety Taron Johnson will decide our match. Who will be the safest safety? Feels like a total coinflip to me.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Quiet Feet posted:

The number of stat corrections involving defensive players makes me never want to play in an IDP league.

Fantasy sites try to grab IDP stats realtime during games, but the fact is the NFL just doesn't actually provide official stats until later. So what you see until those corrections come out are a first-past guesstimate. Then the stats nerds pore over the tape and make updates. Things like tackles/assists are especially difficult to get right realtime.

e. (This is actually done by Elias Sports Bureau, so the NFL doesn't even handle it directly.)

I know this is annoying, because it feels bad when a stat correction takes points off your score: but it's better to look at it as, you never had those points to begin with. It's just a fact of playing with IDP. And about half the time, stat corrections go your way anyway, since they're basically random.

In conclusion, IDP is cool and good.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I sat nyheim hines, dangit (starting darrel williams over him, which is very unlikely to work out)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Beckham's 2019 scores made him "startable" but also lots of bad weeks mixed in with a few good ones. These are his scores in our league, which for WRs is basically .5 PPR standard:

The really standout statistic there is the lack of touchdowns.

If you consider the quality of QBs he's had in Cleveland, I think that means he's not totally worthless: but in non-dynasty, he's absolutely not worth trading for. In dynasty, well, maybe a stash, which is where I'm at with him on my roster.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Chernabog posted:

Coachspeak and all that but Shanahan also said Mitchell will probably practice tomorrow so it doesn't seem very serious.

Although Jeff Wilson is back, Hasty's out with an ankle, so if Mitchell doesn't play, Sermon is likely RB2. Trenton Cannon is on the roster, but I think Sermon is still ahead of him.

I would sure not like to be actually starting Sermon though.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

given most formats start only one TE, I'd rather have one with a consistent floor and upside, than one that swings wildly between 15 pts and 0 points all season.

In 2017, Jimmy Graham's regular season stats are 520 yards and 10 TDs, averaging 7.1 points per game in standard (8.9 in 1/2 PPR). The position as #4TE is heavily TD dependent (the most TDs of any TE that year) and that means a very swingy scoring set. Compare to that year's leader, Gronk, with 1084 yards and 8 TDs, or even with that year's #10, Jason Witten with 560 yards but just 5 TDs.
(All stats from this fantasydata.com query).

His actually fantasy-useful good year with the seahawks was 2016, when he got 923 yards and 6 TDs, placing him 4th overall at 7.8 points per game (9.8 in 1/2 PPR).

Notably, Kelce was only good for 8.6 points per game that year (11.3 in 1/3 PPR). Jordan Reed had 8.6 (11.3) per game that year too, but he finished ninth because he only played 12 games.

Tight Ends had a lower ceiling in 2016-17 than more recently. In 2021, the leading tight end Mark Andrews averaged 11.4ppg in standard (14.6 in 1/2 PPR) and Kelce was right behind him. In 2020, Kelce led with 13.9 (17.4) and Waller was well behind but still beating 2016/17's best, at 10.7 (14.1).

So in conclusion Graham was very good one year in seattle in comparison to other TEs that year, and good-but-volatile TD dependent in the next, but again only in comparison to a relatively lower ceiling of TEs both years. Kelce, Waller, Kittle in '18-19, Ertz in '17-18, all dominated over the best of '16-'17.

If 2022 follows the recent trend, you need one of the top 2-3 TEs, or you can take any of the next six or seven and settle for something under 10 points per game from them (or like 7 in standard).

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

James Starks has three 2023 1st round picks and three 2nds as well. He's gonna have a hell of a draft. Are you doing salaries?

Taking Pitts 11th overall seems absurd to me. You said it's a TE premium scoring league though... how much of a premium?

e. Zeke is RB27? Dang.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

fennesz posted:

Oh my bad, it's full PPR (1.0) and TEP (1.5). Everything else is fairly standard though. 4 points for passing TD and 6 for everything else, etc.

If you think that's wild, check out some Main Event draft boards from last year. Waller was going at pick 2-12 overall.
e: Googled a bit and found one of Evan Silva's from 2021 (he picked 1.03). Dude looks like he smashed that draft to me https://myffpc.com/FFPCDraftBoard.aspx?refid=A09-680778DDC165&refid=A09-680778DDC165

Not entirely sure what you mean by salaries. Each draft, including startup, is just a straight up snake draft. Rookie drafts included. Otherwise, waivers are FAAB, yeah.

And, yeah, I'm still shocked by Zeke's ADP in best ball too. I literally drafted him in a best ball 5 minutes ago at pick 48. Like...he was playing hurt all last year and was RB5. In dynasty I get fading him slightly because he's "old" for a RB but in best ball? Yeah I'm taking him any time I don't need have another pressing need in that spot.

Salaries is how you keep owners from keeping the same good players forever in dynasty: their salaries rise, and everyone has to keep their roster under a salary cap. If you don't do salaries or maximum contracts or something along those lines, someone who picked up Mahomes 143rd in his rookie year gets to keep him for his entire career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

We do our rookie draft right before the regular season starts because it sucks mega hard to waste top draft picks on some dude who blows his ACL in the preseason. We had to do a slow draft last year and so it started a little bit earlier than I would have preferred and I spent 1.3 on Travis Etienne hours before he died.

IMO the earlier your rookie draft, the more random the outcomes e.g. it discounts skill in favor of luck. I prefer to reduce the variance in fantasy football as much as I can because it's already like 70% luck in the best of times.