Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

Doesn't Kim help you out if you fail to get the money from anywhere else?

That's day 1. Day 2 is just 20 real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Game won't launch. Donwloaded, verified (had to re-acquire 100 or so files), restarted steam, verified again... nothing.

Possibly a steam issue rather than anything specific to the game.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 30, 2021

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Going through the moralist political vision quest. I've already met Sunday Friend, so the smoker told me to find him on the coast. He's not at the execution site.

Any other pre-requisites needed for him to appear?

Also, the Mysterious Pair of Eyes with full voice acting. Pretty bad, but I guess most people haven't encountered it, so worth showing off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE_Mf5syq0I

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Mr. Evrart is helping me find my gun - final cut version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlNUAo5YCbA

Playing through the game without cheating, aiming to maximize xp and $$$ - 70 levels and 694 real (having purchased everything in the book store) upon meeting Ruby.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Samovar posted:

Ok, partially through a new playthrough, but doing it slowly. When does one get the chance to accept the political vision quest? I'm on day three now, but not seeing anything new... How does one trigger it?
Go to bed on day 3.

You will get the option to engage with a particular philosophy as long as you've made at least 4 dialog choices supporting this philosophy (easily checked in your ledger) and haven't discarded the resulting thought. Internalizing the related thought is not necessary.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

I honestly didn't know this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zaum

Was it brought up in the thread at some point?

NikkolasKing posted:

Hello, I know zilch about this game but I got it because it sounds interesting.

It's just that, all these skills are confusing. I tried looking at a guide but all the descriptions just made me more confused and nervous about loving myself over.
Are there any poo poo skills I should avoid?

Drama sounds cool. Basically anything Intellect and Psyche sound like my preferred playstyle in WRPGs.
https://www.beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Disco_Elysium

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Does anyone know how to drink the molotov cocktail during the tribunal? Or is that a hoax, and you outright can't?

UP AND ADAM posted:

I've turned Egghead into an ultra liberal and a communist, but I really do want to know what Hardcore centrism is like. I bet it's amazing.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

No Mods No Masters posted:

I don't know how or whether you can get it in actuality, but entry 8 in this (spoilers) does at least suggest there is text for it in the files.
I mean, the game does tell you that "substances" (i.e, tools like drugs and alcohol) can be administered during dialog. Does anyone know how?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

Yeah I'm guessing this is a case of having it be the only booze in hand when you click the drink button during conversation. Let me load an old save and find out.

Edit: Oooh, it's not even equippable. Huh.
The spirit bomb (complete with tie) is equippable, the bottle on its own is not. But clicking on the spirit bomb while its equipped doesn't seem to do anything.

Also - failing to dodge the first shot during the Tribunal hits you for 2 damage. But you don't have a limited time to use a healing item - the game just waits and waits. Wonder what happens if you don't have any healing - a softlock or a unique death?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 6, 2021

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Are you kidding me?

Opening the ledger on the island teleports you to Kim's motor-carriage. How is that something no one else tried thus far?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I need to figure out how you get the finger-guns thought, I got it on my first playthrough but not sure how.
Pass a Composure check to play along with Siileng when first talking to him

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Oh man, Cuno actually accompanies you this time around.

Has anyone found any spots where he has new dialog?

Anyone get to the endgame evaluation and feel the need to bail? Thankfully, there's a way:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_JCgwJU6Eg

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 7, 2021

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

World War Mammories posted:

"accompanies"? does he actually walk with you instead of just meeting you at the island?
Yes.

Edit - pretty bad way to start a page.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz1DyvefCt8

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 7, 2021

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

MizuZero posted:

I didn’t let Kim get shot before Final Cut, but in my latest playthrough where he did, Cuno only walks around with the detective within the Whirling-In-Rags, leaving the party at the door to meet up with the detective on the island later. He does chime in on conversations with Garte and the Hardies, but I wish I could take him to meet the ravers/Soona/Idiot Doom Spiral :smith:
I did manage to do that, but he didn't have any dialog.

Screenshots \ videos will follow tomorrow - apparently there are some extra conditions involved, since it's not the default for Final Cut either.

Also - look forward to a legit way to have both Kim and Cuno accompany you at once (if you've been following along, you already know how it works).

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

christmas boots posted:

If that’s how then “legit” is doing some work imo lol
Let's say - done entirely in-game with no file editing involved. Which is as legit a necessary, if not "intended".

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

Yeah I'm guessing this is a case of having it be the only booze in hand when you click the drink button during conversation. Let me load an old save and find out.

Edit: Oooh, it's not even equippable. Huh. And its not drinkable once the tie is in it... but I can.. I WILL... figure this out...
Could be post-tribunal, if you don't use it? Or maybe with the suicide thought equipped?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Here's how to get Cuno to explore Martinaise by your side. Not very exciting, sadly.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2481223534

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2481223986

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Warmachine posted:

I did a quick save and quick load.
But see, that's not at all what you're advised to do in the post you're quoting.

Xander77 posted:

Also - look forward to a legit way to have both Kim and Cuno accompany you at once (if you've been following along, you already know how it works).
Ah. That doesn't work. Examining the note is turned off during the pre-tribunal and when Kim is shot, though at no other time.

So now there are only two things to figure out - whether you can drink the spirit bomb and whether you can electrocute yourself by trying to fix the waterlock.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Oh yeah, also - in the middle of the thread, someone mentioned talking to Lilliene's twins about Ruby and sending a Speedfreaks message to Kim? I can't seem to figure out how to do so - even without Kim, the twins just say they're not supposed to talk to strangers.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Nessus posted:

I went through all of this. You have to go around and talk to other people, including looking at stuff around the building northwest of the fishing village. You should have some kind of a quest show up. You may need to also talk to the old women. I did all this poo poo with Kim because Kim is my bro so you can do it with Kim in the party.
Yeah, I've got the "ask about Ruby around the village" quest. Asking the twins while Kim is there just has him interfere and say it's not going to be useful.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Nessus posted:

Go stare at the side of an old building.
Ok, maybe we don't understand each other. I've completed the game several times and my problem doesn't involve finding Ruby. Someone said that the twins will mention radio messages, which will prompt you to contact Speedfreaks FM.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Nessus posted:

Yeah that quest unlocked for me after failing a check (probably the clearest example I encountered of the game making you fail-forward.) From my memory: You fail the really hard Shivers check to figure out poo poo while staring at the side of the building, and then there's a much more achievable either Shivers or Inland Empire check to contemplate what's going on, which makes you think of what's up with the kids, and starts an arc where you, among other things, end up talking to Speedfreaks FM.
Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grPIXQX_iOU

Wonder how many hidden interactions are yet to be discovered.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Last two videos.

The life and times of the Horrific Tie (success \ failure):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72v8jMlCNT4

(Shame you can't drink it, that would have been the best ending)

Asking the Scab Leader about the tattoos (trigger warning and all that):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo_b29Tu-S8

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

NOW there's one last thing. A cheat save for anyone who can't figure out how to edit their own save file:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1589pcsT7v5c9PE0REQfZle6kcB0eub17?usp=sharing

Just drop both files into the save folder.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Freddles posted:

Yeah. The lovely fast travel system plus no fast travel to Evrart basically meant that I rarely made the effort to see him, because otherwise it's at least 6 loading screens to get there and back each of which is at least a minute long.
Fast travel to Evrart was on everyone's wishlist, and I have no idea why the whole thing was so poorly implemented.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Perfect Potato posted:

It's remarkable that a boring, straight-laced vanilla elemental like CohhCarnage was able to take the game at face value and engage with the silly options the way the developers likely intended and then you have Pat who's all nooooo I can't pick the funny options or learn about cryptids because I've utterly convinced myself that Kim is the loser square the game falsely sets him up as and he'll hate it and I already internalized all the muh precious Kim memes before playing!!! Start at the top and choose at the bottom!? What does that even mean aiiiieeee I'm going insaneeeeeeee (he legit could not understand what the game was saying when that line came up during the rooftop interview, such a baffling and hilarious reaction)
Huh. That's weird. I just watched his Resident Evil Village content (realized he exists due to DE, yeah) and found is immensely competent compared to generic streamer fair. Like... there's a giant fish, and he doesn't pretend to be afraid of it, and just briskly skirts around it during the bits where it's obviously meant to threaten you but not actually attack unless you fall in the water. Which seemed to show more medium awareness than 99% of people who play videogames for a living.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

christmas boots posted:

As a heads-up to anyone gunning for that achievement you also have to pick a specific set of dialog options at the end of the game to trigger it. I don't remember the exact sequence but googling should bring it up pretty easily.
"I didn't drink all week - no idea what the corpse smell is, I never even touched the corpse", give or take.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Major Isoor posted:

Speaking of which, are you allowed to shoot the corpse from the tree, while still gaining that achievement? Or would you need to either leave it up there or get Measurehead to bring it down?
AFAIK, you're not supposed to interact with it period, not even having a look. You can investigate the crime scene \ look at the footprints nearby, and talk to Cuno.

Warmachine posted:

And the outfit is in fact the best outfit. I accidentally gave Acele my Dick Mullen hat though.
You can actually feed her an infinite number of hats. Which I'd accept as a feature, if only she wore them.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

In a game with lots of "jesus christ this was insanely personal to me" moments, Finger on the Eject Button remains one of the most supreme ones that almost nobody will actually run into in a normal playthrough. It's also pretty much perfectly written for what it is trying to convey
How do you actually trigger it's effects once you gain it? I've last tried before the final cut, but spending whole days and even going to sleep with gun in hand had no effect.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

If you tell Evrart you don't need his help to get your gun, does that just deadend every way to get it or can you go back and beg for his help to continue down the pig quest.
You can. I don't think there are any points at which "I won't do this" genuinely closes off an avenue. Even "I won't steal the boots" is something you can go back on instantly.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

As long as we're linking LP's, SuperGreatFriend (who used to post here, but doesn't anymore?) is also playing through DE:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmXQAvz8c-0

And since he doesn't take the time to voice every single dialog option (for some odd reason, as voicing every dialog option is definitely a worthwhile and productive use of everyone's time), he's going through the game at a decent pace.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Progressor and progressed, probably. I don't even remeber whether ZAUM listed the Strugatsky brothers as an influence.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Roobanguy posted:

the phasmid still shows up, but you can't succeed the interaction check with it. i also remember reading that you can't use your tub after getting the pheremones becauase it washes them off, but i don't know how true that is
You can keep your head above the water.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

gallilee posted:

I am pretty new to the game and it is fantastic. I’m not sure I understand the concept of internalization though. If I spend time thinking about a concept that I really don’t agree with and then internalizes it, does that mean my character will accept that way of thinking as ”ok” and might, say, turn into a racist rear end in a top hat?

So should you be careful of what you internalize?
Other way around. Accepting a thought as viable will already make it something your character basically agrees with. Internalizing it means (more or less) making it part of the core of your personality. It's why you always have the option of refusing a thought when it's first introduced.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sAxhu04SlM

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

World War Mammories posted:

*struggling in my straitjacket* MY INSANE PET THEORY IS CORRECT, DOLORES DEI WAS AN AGENT OF THE UNIVERSE SENT TO EUTHANIZE HUMANITY BEFORE THE PALE EATS ALL OF REALITY AND THE PEOPLE NEED TO KNOW
Given that DE writers explicitly referenced the Strugatsky brothers, she's def a progressor.

https://noon-universe.fandom.com/wiki/Progressors

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

What does Kim say when you're all "we speak Revacholian around these parts"?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Oct 19, 2021

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Oh poo poo, just had an idea. Can someone try reading the ledger note right after the confrontation with Ruby? I assume it was accounted for, but who knows.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

dead gay comedy forums posted:

no, it was there in the release. it is one of the most suggestive yet also one of the most subtle references in the game, I wrote about it in the other thread
?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Don't know if I ever reposted the first comment here here, but... worst case scenario, it's a repeat:

quote:

You blink, and the world is different than it was a second ago. The man sitting on the log before you suddenly more familiar to you than the bespectacled man at your side, quietly thumbing through the pages of his notebook, pen at the ready.

It takes you a few seconds to realise why, but the revelation hits you like the bullet you're almost certain THIS man fired hit Lely's biological off-switch.

You know him because he's you.

The you awaiting you if you refuse to let go. If you continue to chase the apricot shadow. If you continue to avoid responsibility for your ultimately self-inflicted woes through the medium of copious amounts of Commodore Red and speed.

This man is nobody. All that defines him is external now: his hatred for capitalism, for the killer (the OTHER killer, that is), the union, the world. His existence a mere caricature of living, given meaning by how the inner void attempts to deny its own existence by drowning itself in the world beyond those tired black eyes, never once looking inward and acknowledging the fault lines formed within.

No. Wait. You're not entirely right, here. There IS a difference between the two of you. A small one, but maybe the most important one there is.

You still have a choice.