Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

victrix posted:

Is this just odd phrasing of 'there's a game over state here early' or is it actually some sort of endless loop of failure with no possible progression?

The former. Make sure you can pay rent for the first two days of the game.

IIRC they added an actual early game over scene now, before the game just wouldn't progress and you'd have to start over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Decided to go high motorics this time and I was able to pass the check to run away from Garte. Feels bad.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I remember being able to hover over a skill check and seeing what your roll would be for it. Did they remove that?

e: Maybe it's not available in Hardcore mode.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The line read of Rooty Tooty Pointy Shooty made me loving lose it.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

BurningBeard posted:

Well I can't help feeling like there's some buggy poo poo going on with the voicing at the moment. Seems every now and again whole sections of narration even independent of dialog are not being spoken.

Yeah I've run into this a few times now.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The smoker on the balcony sounds different. I haven't run into the others yet.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Yeah Evrart will hand you a comically oversized check which you can cash in IIRC but I don't remember how to argue the price down with Garte, is there a skill requirement for it?

e: I think I missed it this time because I passed the check to run away from him.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

With a high enough Motorics you can imagine what it feels like to hold your gun and bluff your way through that part of the radio call this game is loving amazing.

E: the line read for SPEED FREAKS FM loving killed me.

UnknownMercenary fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 1, 2021

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Otoh internalizing the racist thought and then going back and pointing out how dumb all of Measurehead's racism is to his face is hilarious.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Randarkman posted:

The ultraliberalism vision quest is pretty great.

So is doing that how you get to talk to Sileng about net worth?

e: vv I'm just curious because I haven't picked any ultra options at all and one of my motorics skills keeps chiming in about it lol.

UnknownMercenary fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 4, 2021

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The new Scab Leader VA really sells it when you ask him about the photo :stare:

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Megazver posted:

I can't even start the game after the update. Sigh.

They might have just smidge overestimated themselves when they announced a March release.

Yeah I've run into quite a few bugs. Lots of voice lines bugging out, playing in the wrong spots or just not playing at all. Also as I mentioned earlier, I appear to have triggered some part of the ultra vision quest because I keep getting prompts to ask Sileng about networth even though I don't have the related thought and haven't really picked any of those options.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I'm trying to get the Honor Cop achievement and I'm following this guide but some of the honor options aren't actually giving me points.

Wondering if they broke this with Final Cut, since I also didn't get the Honor Cop thought after passing the minimum threshold.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Looks like I needed a minimum of 4 in Authority to actually get some of these Honour points to register.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

So, hardcore mode, yay or nay?

Starting out is a little rough because there's less medicine and money lying around. Eventually you will pick up enough to make it through. Wompty Dompty Dom Centre is really powerful and basically alleviates any money issues you'd have but you can't get it until day 3. You get extra XP, but the checks are all harder, so I've been using more drugs than I ever did in my core runs. I've had savescumming at a bare minimum and it's not too hard to just roll with the failures most of the time. On day 4 now and healing and money aren't really an issue now.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

No Mods No Masters posted:

It isn't removed, it just requires a passive check from a yellow skill to be interactable. It confused me as well since I'm doing a 1 motorics playthrough for final cut. Similarly you also can't do the footprint analysis at the crime scene. It's actually a little goofy that so much visual calculus stuff is apparently gated behind yellow skills

I get a perception check telling me I can't concentrate because I can feel the broken window below me. I guess it's to avoid the pre-Final Cut scenario where you could do it early but then it doesn't go anywhere until the end of the game.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Are the new achievements not working? I just finished the Communist vision quest and got nothing.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

:laffo: You can get stuck in a loop of always making whiskey and ginger with the Pale Medicine book.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

ShakeZula posted:

I've savescummed twice so far in my first playthrough, and I have no regrets: first was to make the jump to get my coat and get into the harbor, because I wanted that coat and I thought I didn't have enough time left to wait and steal an ID, and second was when listening to the headphones in the church, because it wouldn't let me progress the quest dialogue any further without it.

Stealing the ID doesn't help you get in anyway.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I think you also get a bonus if you immediately try to punch him again after failing the first time.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

sean10mm posted:

I think I found the problem, at least for me: I had turned off steam overlay. I turned it on, loaded an old save and completed the commie vision quest and got the achievement. Unfortunately this doesn't retroactively give you achievements for your save's stats. Like all the times I said commie stuff and I AM THE LAW.

I already have overlay on and can't get this one to pop. I wonder if there's a hidden stat check or something involved, or this save is just broken.

e: nvm looks like I have to pass all the dialogue checks and exhaust all the dialogue with Steban.

UnknownMercenary fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 12, 2021

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Proletarian Mango posted:

If I have a meeting with the young Communards at 22:00 but Evart also set up a meeting with the Pigs at the same time, and I hosed or can I still get to both?

I would go for the Pigs first then the other. When I had both at the same time but did the Communards meeting it ran until almost 2:00 and I couldn't get the Pigs to spawn. That said I don't believe there is a time limit for either so you could do one, wait until 22:00 the next day and do the other.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Half-Light telling me to give Measurehead a right hook. :laffo:

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

World War Mammories posted:

the most difficult achievement I've ever gotten in any game is the one to bottom out kim's opinion of you

It's actually really easy to get. You only need 5 negative interactions with him.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

that's not why it's difficult :smith:

Do a high FYS build and embrace your detective's inner rear end in a top hat-ishness.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Somfin posted:

Also it is mandatory that new players be advised to fail the early Klaasje red check.

I've played this game like 5 times now and I've never passed that check regardless of how I build my character.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Half-Light will never lead you astray.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

ShakeZula posted:

So, has anyone managed to get the trophy/achievement for the fascism vision quest? It seems like it's locked behind an extremely steep Endurance red check (one whose odds don't change even when I add 3 to my total Endurance score). Am I missing something on how to get it to pop?

If it's like the Communism one then yeah you'll have to pass all associated checks with the quest.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

there's a MOT passive check when you first interact with Kim's car that's probably related that enables toying with the radio presets. think it's interfacing, not sure

I had no idea this was possible and I *just* wrapped up a high motorics playthrough. Granted these days I usually have high enough Shivers regardless of build to immediately pass the FELD building checks so I would never even think of going back and talking to the twins again.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Gonna agree with the others here that Perception is actually really good. It's also really easy to raise with thoughts; my current run only has a 1 in Motorics but I have Perception at 5 thanks to the thought cabinet.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

That achievement is judged entirely by your good/bad cop meter. Being nice to Kim or just acting professional/not a dick to other people will get you +1, along with figuring out parts of the case like finding the bullet early gives you +2 while picking crazy/rear end in a top hat options like punching Measurehead or talking down to Leo, accepting bribes etc gets you -1 points.

You need +10 to be Kim's best friend.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

If you want to have your tie talk to you you need to start with at least Inland Empire 4 IIRC. If it's not talking to you immediately it will never do that, so if that's your goal then you should restart immediately.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Is that entire thing new to final cut? I don't remember it being in the game before.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I knew about the gun loop but I didn't know about this one :laffo:

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The ID card just helps you leave the harbour. If you don't manage to steal it, Evrart gives you one after you first meet him so you don't get stuck.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Warmachine posted:

I accidentally gave Acele my Dick Mullen hat though.

You can get another hat. Just talk to Annette again.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Yeah IIRC most skill passives require a minimum initial investment of 4 to really start being chatty and that 1 point difference won't change much. Heck just inverting your first choice and going 2/2/4/4 would produce a pretty different experience.

The biggest differences IMO are x/4/4/x. The psy and fys skills are very chatty passives especially shivers and espirit de corps.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Professor Wayne posted:

I just finished this game last night, and here are my thoughts today after digesting for a bit. I'm sure all of this has been discussed already, because I wait for Steam sales and am always late to the game.

1. I avoided spoilers the entire playthrough and have no idea how much of the story was actually based on my decisions. I spent a lot of time hunted cryptids and swearing they were real (to Kim's frustration). I honestly don't know if those choices manifested the stick bug at the end.
2. I kind of wish the game would let you solve the murder before the last 15 minutes. I thought I had missed some important info leading up to it and just resigned myself to blame it on the most supra-natural explanation possible. Then the game just told me who did it and why. I also don't know why the game made is seem like not arresting Klaasje was such a failure. It was pretty clear she would be killed if I took her in, and I solved the murder without her in custody.
3. I like that you don't know exactly why Harry lost his memory. I played leaning into everything supra-natural. So that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
4. My favorite part of the game was the church storyline (making Kim dance was incredible). I think the only connection in the game to our pop culture was when I sang Whitney Houston's "I Wanna Dance with Somebody." Side note: I heard the illumani hotties' cover of it randomly today and almost lost my mind.
5. Kim and Cuno are now both prime examples of characters I didn't like at first, but now I absolutely love. I feel like I may not have solved what was going on with Cunoesse, though.
6. I mostly took failed rolls as they came, but I ended up savescumming about 5 times in the game to knock out some sidequests. I mostly liked the system, but I felt like I hit a brick wall a few times without either savescumming or putting points in stats I was ignoring so I could try again.
7. While I don't think the game needed world-ending stakes, I wish I knew more about the Pale. It's a super cool concept.
8. I have mixed feelings for Harry's downward spiral being cause by a woman he dated for a while. It's kind of cool that it's an extremely ordinary event in this extra-ordinary world. But by the end of the game, I knew next to nothing about her to appreciate what kind of impact her loss would have.

Aside from the relevant stats for the checks, whether or not you believed in the phasmid/got the pheremone spray affects the success on those checks. Otherwise it just scurries away immediately, but it always shows up.
I think if you pass the Empathy check with Cuno and talk to him enough you can get him to tell you the deal with Cunoesse.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

:laffo: If you internalize the feminist thought and talk to Rene you can goad him into revealing his dumb biotruths beliefs.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Doccykins posted:

as far as I can remember the absolute required pass or fail-3-times after boosting checks are Authority against Titus to get to Klassje, Shivers to get into the Feld building and either Suave Faire to jump across to get your coat or Physical Instrument to spin kick Measurehead to get into the harbour. You also need enough Authority to warn Kim at the tribunal so he doesn't get shot if you want that bit

That last one is a red check; it's cannot be tried again without savescumming. They added an alternate route past the shivers check which uses encyclopedia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The ID doesn't work for getting you into the harbour. I don't know why this persists. Unless they changed it for final cut.