Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

But getting to it. That's not the hard part.

It's letting go.
Titus has been recast, he's going for what I'm guessing is a Southern accent.

I don't think Garte has been recast, he just sounds way more nasally than before. Evrart has the same problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

It's letting go.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Perhaps it is because the police are simply another group of "thugs".

Doubly so for the RCM, which is an extortion-based street gang formed out of the remnants of the fallen communist army that tricked the Coalition, Revachol West and themselves into thinking that they were real police.

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

It's letting go.

Orange Devil posted:

It is interesting that players like Kim because he supports them no matter what hosed up poo poo they pull, while a lot of people also criticize real life police officers for supporting each other no matter what hosed up poo poo they pull.

Kim's absolute loyalty to the RCM is expressed through his absolute loyalty to Harry, who is influenced by whatever the player wants him to do. People like him because he's loyal to the player more than the player-character. It also helps that Kim is a pillar of strength and professionalism, which people generally agree is an admirable trait, and so feel reassured when they have to rely on that pillar.

Also, as I've pointed out before, the RCM aren't really police in the conventional sense. They're a highly disciplined protection racket/street gang living off 'charitable donations' who tricked everyone - Revachol, the Coalition, themselves - into believing they're real police. You and Kim, but Kim especially, are cosplaying detectives, but both of you take the cosplay pretty seriously.

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

It's letting go.

Vagabong posted:

Yeah, its clear that he lasts for power, just that he thinks the best way of acquiring it is by making the lives of Martinase's residents better.

This is how I interpret it. He's a dragon, but the hoard of treasure he sleeps on isn't Martinaise's wealth, but Martinaise itself. As it grows, he grows, and he's unscrupulous enough to do whatever he can to ensure Martinaise and its people prosper.

That being said, it's not as if Evrart is only driven by power. Your skills will chime in to comment that he's seen things in Martinaise's poverty that genuinely upsets him. Inland Empire (one of your most reliable skills) even explicitly says he's genuine in his stated motives, but you wouldn't know it by looking at him.

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

It's letting go.

Cheston posted:

So there's a highlighted guy in the Whirling-In-Rags that you can't actually interact with. It looks like he's keeping an eye on the Hardies- that's got to be the fully masked / very racist merc at the Tribunal, right?

Ruud? I believe the mercs say he only arrived in Martinaise just before the tribunal as backup. Joyce doesn't know about him at all.

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

It's letting go.

Oxxidation posted:

best interpretation I’ve read of the Pale is that it’s a manifestation of stagnant history slowly eating up the world through its accumulated pasts, which means the chief culprit of its spread (other than simple entropy) is moralism and its fixation on controlled changelessness. the world is dissolving in the vitriol of memory and only the new can neutralize it

Moralism (when it still had its prophetess around) was also the guiding ideology of the ships that crossed the Pale and connected the isolas. At one point, moralism was politically novel, though it now exists to strangle potential.

That also raises an interesting question: was Kras Mazov himself an innocence, who was denied the same kind of ascension that other innocences like Dolores Dei received? And if so, then what power does an innocence actually have as a world-defining figure, thought to be bearers of inexorable change, if the world can reject them?

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

It's letting go.

King Carnivore posted:

Did the world truly reject Kraz Mazov or was his ascension to being an innocence deliberately strangled in the cradle by the forces of capital?

I think the distinction is irrelevant when talking about them as a metaphysical/supranatural thing. An innocence is, according to the doctrines of Innocentic worship, an inexorable change in Elysium embodied in and promoted by a single person. They exist separate and, in some cases, in opposition to the world. They emerge only to bring about a significant and sometimes destructive change - the Perikarnassian for the establishment of the gold standard, Franconegro for enshrining hereditary rule and the abolition of serfdom, Dolores Dei for the creation of a modern liberal system of governance, and potentially Kras Mazov for the liberation of the working class. If they were defeated before they can bring about that change, then in this abstract sense you can say the world has rejected them.

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

It's letting go.

christmas boots posted:

I don't think Shivers is lying, in that it's the course the world is on but the city itself reaches out to you with Shivers asking you not to let it happen so I think there's a chance it can be averted.

I might be misremembering this but some of the pre-release PR, back when it was still called No Truce With The Furies and even when the company was called Fortress Occident, did emphasise the Cop Of The Apocalypse aspect and even explicitly say in one of its blog posts that the world was going to end in twenty-two years. Based on this I suspect that the eventual end of Elysium would have been featured more prominently but was rewritten to leave them an opening. The book, if that ever gets translated, is set in Elysium's 1970s so it might be featured there.

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

It's letting go.

Blankspace posted:

https://twitter.com/BenSledge/status/1576973631648833537

guys, please stop complaining that people were fired. most people were not fired! quit complaining! it is rude to the people who were not fired when you make them feel bad that you aren't giving them credit when you talk about the firings of their former colleagues! please ignore it!!

some real weirdly timed takes coming out

feels like some organized PR maneuvering or something. I can't imagine why else we're suddenly having all these people (and now at least one article) pop up to argue against "auteur theory" as a reaction for why it's ok that people lost their jobs, it's so loving bizarre.

While this is unfortunately anecdotal, I definitely recall people discussing and dismissing the concept of auteur theory before this, both inside and outside the context of video games, and using the exact same arguments: that it's a collaborative effort, that focusing on a few developers does an injustice to the work of everyone else, etc.. You mostly heard it employed against more controversial people like Hideo Kojima.

I don't think I would call this an issue with auteur theory, because it's not just Kurvitz or Hindpere or Rostov getting pushed out - it's all three of them, at once, along with half of the original writing team that was around back when the game was in development and the only site interested in it was RPG Codex. Claiming that people concerned about the direction of ZA/UM are falling prey to the false auteur theory is a weak attempt to justify carving out and replacing half of the development team.

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

It's letting go.
Not a perfect comparison but Revachol's more fantasy New York, being a colonial city that surpassed the metropole in splendour and influence.

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

It's letting go.

Valentin posted:

regarding Harry's hunches and feelings, I think there's at least one pair of dialogue changes near the very end that strongly suggests he has some kind of extranormal way of knowing things, though I'm having trouble pulling the exact exchange:

when you approach the generator on the island, Kim says something about how it's cool to the touch, but clearly still well-maintained and used recently. if you go with Cuno, though, he just says it's cool to the touch, and then a voice cuts in and says the first part of Kim's line but trails off confusedly, talking about Cuno's line was not what was supposed to be said.

e: found it, it suggests inland empire has some sense of the alternate outcomes that can arise from your choices, and unlike a lot of the esprit de corps scenes Harry explicitly responds to the voice, and unlike shivers it's verifiably accurate information

CUNO – Cuno puts his hand on the generator. "This poo poo's cold."

INLAND EMPIRE – N-n-n-no. This isn't right...

YOU – What's the matter?

INLAND EMPIRE – 'It's cold now,' he was supposed to say. 'But someone has been maintaining it. The wiring has been repaired'...

INLAND EMPIRE – But he's not here to say it. Something *else* got in the way. Events *intervened*...

I believe this is prompted by the Moralism quest, where you can hear Kim say that exact line through the radio as you're trying to reach the warship. You shouldn't get that dialogue unless you've completed that quest.

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

It's letting go.
I feel like the argument whether Kim is a moralist or not is sort of a dead end when the devs have openly referred to him as a representative of Moralism:

quote:

MORALISM
Thought Cabinet project: Kingdom of Conscience
Supporting projects: Opioid Receptor Antagonist
Representatives: Kim Kitsuragi, The Sunday Friend, Trant Heidelstam
Organizations: The Moralintern, Revacholian Citizen’s Militia, EPIS, ICP
Colour: signal blue
Symbol: a forget-me-not

In my view, he's a moralist in a loose sense: he wants to preserve order in Martinaise, dislikes extremism and thinks of himself as an apolitical person. That doesn't necessarily translate to personal support of the Moralintern, but he thinks of their dominance as a fact that he or anyone else can't do anything about to change. Then again, he thought the Insulindian Phasmid was a myth.

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

It's letting go.

Sardonik posted:

It makes perfect sense he thought the Phasmid is a myth. The Phasmid symbolically represents the potential for revolution, an impossible miracle that could herald meaningful change. That is antithetical to his moralist leanings.

Though I still maintain Kim is a moralist in the sense of the default, 'negative' moralism imposed systemically. Rather than the 'positive' moralists like Sunday Friend who genuinely believe in the project.

I would refine that symbol further: the Phasmid is the successful revolution, the victory over the Coalition. Revachol already experienced one revolution and it was a cataclysmic failure - in this world, revolution is a fact, and it is their success that's seen as the impossibility that I think the Phasmid represents.

What's interesting is that this interpretation is not flattering for Kim. He only believes in the Phasmid when he's looking directly at it, and refuses to entertain the possibility that it exists, because his understanding of the world does not include tall stick insects unfolding from the reeds. We may extend that also to a successful revolution in Revachol.

In my view, Kim would be a counter-revolutionary out of fear and cynicism. He's seen the after-effects of actually existing revolutions, and as far as he's convinced all it amounts to are bombed-out ruins and dead parents. As long as any doubts still linger in his mind, he will default to what he thinks is the logical conclusion, backed by history and reality, and that will lead him towards siding with the Coalition.

The Phasmid shows he could be a revolutionary, and he certainly has an interest in the aesthetics of revolution, but you would need to show him that all this struggle and bloodshed would be successful in the end - and that's going to be a tough sell for Kim Kitsuragi, who seems to dislike dangerous speculation and only believes in things that he knows (or believes) to be real.

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

It's letting go.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Kim fights at the tribunal. He will say the communist thing when the time comes because he won’t say the fascist thing and he’s already decided to not gently caress off.

:colbert:

Kim fights at the tribunal because it's necessary to maintain order in Martinaise; that's his job, and he does his job well and in accordance with Moralist precepts. A revolution against the people that "legitimise" his job is an entirely different matter.

This also reminds me that Harry's assumed to be on the side of Revachol by the hidden revolutionaries regardless of whether he's been saying the communist or fascist thing, so maybe that won't matter. I wonder if the second revolutionary wave would look like the early Kuomintang - a big tent nationalist movement against the Coalition, albeit one that's guided by leftists descending from the ICM rather than the poo poo-show that was the historical KMT.

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

It's letting go.
Does the magpie stuff ever get mentioned in the game? I don't recall it ever being brought up or hinted at.

christmas boots posted:

What if the full realization of her project would have been even worse?

What's interesting is this is the same fear that motivated the Moralintern to launch Operation Death Blow. What if success is more dangerous than failure?

dead gay comedy forums posted:

Sola is the best Innocence and it’s a pity the game talks so little about her. Just realizing her condition and going “you know what I am going to be sitting here and not do a thing” to not force history is pretty interesting, especially since in a rough equivalence of timeframes and historical contexts, that would make her the Innocence of Postmodernism.

Honestly, Sola reads more like a moralist to me. When confronted with the ability and opportunity to radically reshape society, shrugging and not wanting to rock the boat is precisely what the Moralintern would recommend.

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

It's letting go.

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

It's kind of funny that Trent doesn't get even a fraction of the hate leveled at the Sunday Friend.

He's an ally of the player and isn't as obnoxious about his moralism as Sunday Friend. Although, it is interesting to note that he has similar sympathies to Kim, in that both are moralists who like certain aesthetics of the revolution, though Trant being more of an intellectual means he's drawn to their writing rather than their look.

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

It's letting go.

je1 healthcare posted:

He's a 1st-worlder doing poverty tourism, which at worst tasteless. He's more emotionally invested in obscure tech projects than the sheer volume of death surrounding them, which is how I imagine a lot of dorks touring the soviet bloc came accross as

IIRC Trant lives in Revachol and regularly works with the RCM to the point where he was considered part of a task force in one of the worst districts in the city. I don't think 'poverty tourist' is an accurate description.

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

It's letting go.

Youremother posted:

The end-game espirit check changes depending on your political orientation. If you're a communist Pryce says Harry will side with "the people", Moralist Harry will side with the RCM, Fascist Harry will side with Revachol, and ultraliberal Harry is, I kid you not, described as having always been "money over bitches".

This is why I think the coming revolution might not be communist so much as it would be nationalist: a big tent coalition to kick the Coalition out of Revachol. It would probably look something like the Kuomintang.

Does anyone know if the book deals with Revachol? IIRC it takes place in the 70s so that might clear up some confusion here.

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

It's letting go.

Youremother posted:

I have not read the book but I have heard that it has the second revolution succeeding and the Coalition nuking Revachol for it.

Yeah, that sounds about right. Getting so mad that your five thousand year plan towards Actually Existing Social Democracy is dashed by people who think it's loving stupid that you condemn them all to nuclear fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

It's letting go.

MariusLecter posted:

Well, what would you do if the price of bread became unstable?

Wouldn't happen under moralist governance following Dolorian principles that keep ze price stabilité under control. Communards will never understand this, that's why we have to do the needful to them. :colbert: