Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Question.
This poll is closed.
Yes. 76 50.67%
No. 74 49.33%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
I was expecting the chicken electrical chair thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Yeah they should suppress the votes of that author and everyone involved in publishing that schlock

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
lol imagine never serving overseas :gary: :gary:

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Sacrist is making some good points, and I want to pivot from what they said to the unfair maligning of Deshaun Watson that's taking place in the media! He hasn't even been convicted of a crime!!!

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
It's crazy that the monarchists all over Europe have substantially more progressive attitudes than americans

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

McNally posted:

:stare:

This goes well beyond giving the benefit of the doubt into full-on bootlicking.

lol it's bootlicking to think that cops are suggesting they'll use a taser vs. some very weird death threat?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktiozJt7WJQ

You can see from this video that he literally says it as he switches from his pistol to his taser. 3:13 minute mark or so.

These cops are loving idiots, as are most cops, and they definitely deserve to be fired.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 10, 2021

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

I dont think I understand what that smiley means in this context - do you want those jurors sequestered?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

shame on an IGA posted:

A judge saying "Well, we just can't sequester every cop-murder jury every time a cop-murder happens during the trial, we'll never get through one because they can't stop cop-murdering" is certainly something

Oh yeah 100% cops should be issued a ticket book and a whistle and nothing else

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

shame on an IGA posted:

look at this guy who thinks cops are gonna blow whistles

Hope springs eternal

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
The silent majority affirm police behavior lolol

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
No I was laughing that Meshka would suggest that after a half decade of constant demonstrations and marches against police brutality. Not to mention the heaps of studies and analysis that show that our criminal justice system loving sucks in just about every conceivable way

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Apr 14, 2021

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

BIG HEADLINE posted:

And I'm sure the next Republican president will find a reason to send an "exploratory force" there to keep the cash register ringing. If there were Burger Kings and Subways on bases in Vietnam in the 60s we'd probably still be there.

There's too much money to be made ensuring are truups have the "comforts of home" in the purest :capitalism: way possible.

"We won't pay *you* any more money for risking your life, but we'll subsidize fast food companies out the rear end to serve you $1000 burgers for MSRP in a warzone."

My understanding is also that Afghanistan is an immensely useful strategic location for containment against China / Pakistan and as such carries a lot of upside for, at the very minimum, a continued airbase presence or 6

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Is there some kind of moral objection to bribes?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Things in this world are sold to the highest bidder. I don't see how bribes really deviate from that reality in any substantial way.

Like withholding services that would otherwise be performed pending the delivery of a bribe is bad, but so is simply taking down a complaint and not doing anything about it. I think the context surrounding a bribe have a much more significant moral dimension than the exchange of cash for a service.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 15, 2021

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Eej posted:

There's a huge difference between saying bribes are acceptable and paying bribes to get poo poo done in corrupt countries.

SchnorkIes posted:

Paying bribes to get poo poo done in corrupt countries is acceptable

I think we are all almost on the same page here. Paying a bribe where bribery is part of the process is fine.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

PookBear posted:

you are such an utter piece of poo poo of a lawyer.

Esquire is the honorific you're looking for

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

M_Gargantua posted:

They've got those "nonlethal" microwave pain beams that cause permanent damage mounted to their SUVs.

Jesus seriously?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

FrozenVent posted:

Oh it’s a completely BS claim and everyone knows it.

Gotta go up there and say something that sounds plausible and hasn't been directly refuted at length by the experts. It only takes one full buy-in. Based on what I've seen this guy is extremely and obviously guilty though.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 15, 2021

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Lobbying is a pretty direct byproduct of our economic system imo. At least in the form it has taken on in D.C.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

BIG HEADLINE posted:

We can't have a mass uprising, that might jeopardize our pensions/retirement accounts! :ohdear:

Well the window for any kind of uprising is definitely closing with all the unmanned killer drones that are being produced / designed / deployed. That's if people in this country broadly wanted radical change, which it doesn't appear they really do

Hyrax Attack! posted:

The future is here. Kinda like I can't pay my trash bill online because of an ongoing ransomware attack.

This + the pandemic + regular riots really suggests we are in one of the horrible alternate futures portrayed in 90s movies

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 16, 2021

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

I love that we're pulling out of Afghanistan and talking about upholding our commitment to those who worked with us while simultaneously not allowing more refugees.

That buddy sitcom with the Interpreter and the marine was one of the most nauseating pieces of media I've seen in recent years

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Lazy small business owners admitting they don't want to put in the extra work to recruit labor at market prices under a pandemic. Disgusting, but honest.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
If you can't find someone to do the work you want done, you're not offering enough to do it. That's some econ 101 poo poo that republicans like to ignore because they're actually the party of inherited wealth, not free market economics

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

boop the snoot posted:

Actually if you commodify everything and make everything cost money and then keep increasing the prices on life necessities then you can pay people whatever you want because otherwise they will die and that’s capitalism.

I'm pretty sure the reason small town america is dying is a result of this process you are describing.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

GoGoGadget posted:

Lincoln packed the Supreme Court, didn't he? Didn't cause an unending downward spiral then, why would it now?

Yeah let's suspend habeas corpus too!

Edit: bail for my deserving friends, cham-bail for the rest!

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 18, 2021

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Crab Dad posted:

Why is Maxine being taken seriously as an excuse after 4 years of Trump lying constantly and saying the most illegal things on conduct?

I'm pretty sure Trump's choice quotes have made their way into a number of legal briefs and motions as well

ASAPI posted:

I would like to meet the person that sees "reasonable doubt" on this one.

If, big if, he walks, how long will it be until his supporters in the jury are named and shamed?

Hopefully they got everyone that was cop-adjacent off of the jury. That's about the only group of people I would imagine would even consider acquitting

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Apr 20, 2021

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
When was the last time a cop was looking at this mind of sentencing?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

McNally posted:

Bored As gently caress, if you ever in the future want to justify a police shooting do it someplace else.

It is not welcome here, nor are you.

We are bouncing people for discussing their opinions on a discussion board?

I don't agree with Bored As Duck's opinions but is the standard here really that if you disagree with the consensus you're told to leave?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
I agree 100% that taking away lethal force from patrol officers is absolutely what needs to happen. They should have to call in trained killers who are held to a professional standard if they want to shoot their guns. No more of this reasonable officer bullshit.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Cythereal posted:

Passing along more information about that "missing" Indonesian submarine from the OSHA thread of all places:

Safe working depth for that class of submarine is apparently 250m.

Estimated ocean depth where it went down ranges from 600 to 700m.

Yeah, they're almost certainly all dead and we just haven't found the debris yet. Best hope at this point is that someone's sonar picked up the implosion noises.

Is it confirmed that 600m+ will implode a submarine of this class? I thought that kind of information was all pretty tightly controlled

Also with Russia - their economy has to be hurting pretty bad with the kinds of hits Covid has had on oil prices, right? Edit: yeah, according to RT this is the first month in a while they have shown any growth.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 22, 2021

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

ded posted:

Math. Math says it would not survive.

Unless that boat was made out of materials that are normally used in certain russian sub construction and it went that deep its gone.

edit :
I didn't realize the test depth was so deep for that class. 500M is pretty deep.

It would be possible to be alive then yes. But I do not remember how deep our rescue craft can operate.

Test depth is the the deepest a sub can go and be able to emergency blow and get to the surface without propulsion. Crush depth is always deeper than that but not by a huge amount.

The biggest problem they will have is freezing to death if the pressure hull is intact.

They may also be running low on oxygen depending on how many crew members survived the impact, severity of damage control operations, what means of secondary oxygen production they have, etc etc. That's assuming they survived whatever casualty caused them to go deep and not blow to begin with.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Reading the casualty response cards for situations like these was always pretty terrifying.

ded posted:

o2 is very easy to produce. they should have lots of o2 candles on hand. lack of power however means no way to heat so they will freeze. this is all of course assuming that the people tank is not full of water.

I don't disagree, but when I read "Indonesian Navy" I don't have any references to draw any conclusions from. I don't think my boat ever did any kind of exercises or anything with Indonesia when I was there. It looks like their Navy made an announcement that the ship would only have sufficient O2 to last until Saturday, and I don't see anything at all about what they would or could be doing to prevent CO2 buildup.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 22, 2021

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Why is that poo poo legal again?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
I remember getting near beer in Diego Garcia as.we were.handong the boat over on New Years. poo poo sucked.

It was nice being able to get drunk at the various base clubs just a few days later though.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

https://www.espn.com/espn/page2/story?id=1250751

Holy poo poo

Hunter S Thompson predicted the forever war hours after 9/11

There were dozens of articles and stories about the new american century, the neo-conservative agenda, etc etc in the aftermath of 9/11. Particularly after the drums of war with Iraq got going.

Sadly Americans being stupid, violent, and intellectually lazy is not a recent phenomenon. Bin Laden essentially knocked the USA off of it's course as perpetual world hegemon.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Why would someone sell coins at volume like that? Wouldn't it make more sense to spread out 25+ transactions to keep from tanking the value?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Dang I got those kicks too. Me and ?uestlove

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Choose your rate, choose your fate

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
She's also massively popular so I don't think the DNC is going to rush to gently caress her over until they find a real reason to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Godholio posted:

efb refresh those tabs, kids

Oh they'll definitely try to hamstring her when she eventually runs for President