Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Question.
This poll is closed.
Yes. 76 50.67%
No. 74 49.33%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Duzzy Funlop posted:

What was the scandal where some creeplord politician/celebrity (?) pretty much exposed themselves by breaking the scandal on Twitter, and some investigative journalist crack-pinged because they had been developing the story on that person for years and then went "AND YOU'RE GONNA JUST ADMIT TO IT ON TWITTER?!?"

It was Don Jr. A reporter had spent a year tracking down all of the info relating to the trump tower meeting with russians, and right before he dropped his story, Jr. went on twitter and spilled all the beans.

https://twitter.com/jysexton/status/884798748152483840

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Al Franken wasn't joking when he said that he was Ted's only friend in congress.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Virginia Supreme Court ruled that confederate statues can come down.

https://twitter.com/RichSchragger/status/1377609995949326337

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The source is the Daily Mail, so I'm not counting this chicken until it has hatched.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Sacrist65 posted:

Endless capital in the hands of like 500 people isn't a problem, just think of the all off the efficiencies the economies of scale could provide.

Edit- This is the kid that would toss his lunch on the floor and say the janitor should thank him for providing job security

In fact, a former coworker of his said he’d leave his dirty dishes in the breakroom sink instead of washing them because his salary was higher than the administrative assistant’s it was more efficient for them to wash the dishes instead.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

SCOTUS has ruled in favor of Google versus Oracle. They assume the copyrightability of the API, and then held that google's theft of said API was fair use. I agree with the ultimate result but it leaves a very bad taste in my mouth that Google could be a deliberate bad actor and walk away with all their ill-gotten gains.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

wins32767 posted:

APIs are for integration, that's what they exist to do. It'd be like saying that if Toyota came up with a new type of screw head they could sue anyone else who made a screwdriver that worked with it. I worked at Oracle when the lawsuit kicked off and I thought even then it was a terrible idea. Assuming Oracle's position held it would have effectively destroyed software interoperability.

I think the screw head analogy is a bit simplistic. If we're using a car analogy, google lifted the tooling for the assembly line so that people that worked in a Toyota factory could immediately start building google cars identical to the toyotas but with google's branding instead.

I don't think that Oracle was right in the restrictions that they wanted in place. Something akin to compulsory licensing ala the music industry is probably more appropriate than fair use. However, the SCOTUS is constrained by outdated law, and I think they got the best answer possible out of the case even if I think google got away with something majorly lovely.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

wins32767 posted:

Tooling for the assembly line is even more incorrect as an analogy. I'd wager that there are millions of lines of code in the Android implementation, the APIs are ~21k lines. There is an art to building a good API, but there is a lot more art and effort in getting them to actually work. Another analogy is the API is a defined contract offered by a software system. Just because you use the same legal contract as another one of my suppliers doesn't mean you're lifting their whole assembly line tooling. It means that if I give you 500 lbs of steel and another 500 lbs of plastic you're going to give me a car that can fit a family of 4 with their stuff and drive at 75 mph at at least 21 mpg. That could be a Tesla or a Camry or an Elantra or a Taurus.

I don't think we'll find a good car analogy, and I don't think a legal contract is a good analogy either. That's just a form, and the API is more than just a form. And yes, I understand the API is only a small part of the enabling code, but that's the part that is necessary for java programs to be able to interact with android without having to learn new functions and their associated syntax.

Should Oracle be the only entity that gets to decide what devices run java or java like programs using the java api? No, I don't think that's right. Should google get to use the java API without some compensation to Oracle? I don't think they should, either.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

wins32767 posted:

Absolutely Google should be able to use the API without compensation. The whole of the internet is built upon free use of other people's interfaces. From Ethernet to IP to TCP to HTTP to HTML to CSS. A lot of people put in a tremendous amount of effort to make those interfaces work, but from the dawn of shared computing back in the 70s using public interfaces has been a fundamental assumption of building software. My Mac is running on an API for Unix that AT&T put together back in the 70s. Windows is written in C which also came out of that same group at AT&T. Oracle made its money building a database also written in C, running on largely on Unix systems and they used that money to buy Sun, the folks that actually created Java. Larry Ellison has been trying to pull up the ladder behind him. I don't know of a single programmer who thinks public APIs shouldn't be covered under fair use.

Most of the things you mention are situations where the owners of the API have freely given access to it. Java's API wasn't given away freely unless you comply with certain licensing rules. Google was unable to negotiate something and instead said "we're just gonna take it and see you in court." That set of circumstances rubs me the wrong way. I know all about Larry as a patent/copyright troll, and I don't think that Oracle's argument is right either to the full extent they were asking for protection. I think the issue we have is trying to stretch copyright law to protect something that it was not meant to protect.

We really need something new to regulate this field.

M_Gargantua posted:

An API is like a list of names and addresses. You still have to do all the heavy lifting to make use of that info, but its very very important info that needs to be free and open for software interoperability. This is like if Oracle said you needed to pay licensing for their bespoke yellowbook for the Oracle town, its not an insane proposition legally, just a very dumb one as far as cooperate responsibility. I'm glad the supreme court told them that they can't try to squeeze profit out of it.

I think it's an oversimplification. It isn't a list of names and addresses. It's something for coders to use to access the underlying system. In this case, java programmers were able to access android by writing java code because the API was copied. I agree that there should be some necessary freedom of use if you're talking about accessing a public system or something of that nature. This is a little different, as we're not talking about a API for a service or something like that. We're talking about the basic functions of coding applications for the software platform.

I think that oracle should have some right to control their programming language.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 5, 2021

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I do want to say, I'm not in support of Oracle's IP trolling generally. Oracle v Google is a horrible company vs a horrible company. I think the outcome is right considering the circumstances and the lovely state of current IP laws.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

CainFortea posted:

Did they copy oracles api for their own software or did they just use the api oracle published for accessing oracles software?

They took the publicly available java API for use with their own bespoke java implementation. Google did not want to re-write the API because then android would no longer be compatible with java code.

A response that made me chuckle:

https://twitter.com/mattblaze/status/1379136317423022080

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

shame on an IGA posted:

"gently caress Oracle" is always the right decision, the question is irrelevant.

Agreed. gently caress google is always the right decision, too, though.

wins32767 posted:

Epic to charge 100k to anyone who wants to integrate with their EMR.

That's a different situation. This is like if a competitor completely rewrote epic's EMR (or at least the functionality they wanted) and then used Epic's established API so that people could port to the non-Epic AMR without having to change any code or applications that use the API.

There's more here than just using an API, and I think it trivializes google's bad conduct to boil it down to that.

wins32767 posted:

On that we both agree!

Yeah. I will admit that I am a little irritated by google's brazen actions and that is clouding my view of things.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

wins32767 posted:

I think the distinction is that OpenJDK has a blessed by Oracle license.

Yup.

wins32767 posted:

But isn't it the same legally? As soon as you say no fair use on APIs, then the copyright owner can charge whatever they want for use on whatever terms they want, right? Even if you go with mandatory licensing, the costs can still be excessive.

Not necessarily. Compulsory licensing in music is not so prohibitively expensive that it makes it so music cannot be used. Instead music gets used in quite a lot of ways the creator never wanted or intended, but they have no choice so long as the end-user pays ASCAP (or whichever rights company) the correct fee. Saying 'no fair use' on APIs doesn't immediately mean that no API is useable without express consent from the owner if it's coupled with some sort of statutory/regulatory framework for the use. Such framework does not exist at the moment, which is why the outcome the court reached today is the right one based upon the extant legal even if I think it's not completely correct.

wins32767 posted:

(I'm also 100% onboard with someone doing that to Epic, or even my own company's software. If you can use our API definition and build better software than us then we deserve to get beat.)

Looking at things from a pure capitalist perspective, I agree entirely. I don't think anyone prior to this ruling would ever try, though. This ruling makes such a thing very possible.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Hi, this is oracle licensing calling. We've noticed that your processor has 64 cores and you're only licensed for 4.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I have clients that genuinely believe the vaccine has killed people in their community when those people just died from covid. Florida has been so massively under-testing/under-reporting deaths that people in red areas simply do not believe that covid is real. The vaccines are dangerous, and I'm not sure that it's possible to convince them otherwise without major cult deprogramming.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

TheWeedNumber posted:

Net positive for the gene pool. But holy poo poo is this insane and disturbing. I have empathy for them in the end, life’s precious. Theirs, not so much but it’s still sad.

People as a whole are not smart. Individuals can be quite intelligent, but the mob is dumb. We have a concentrated effort to keep people dumb by people with a vested interest in the same.

The only news or information these people hear about covid is what they consume from facebook, fox, newsmax, and oan. These are people just deep inside a loving propaganda bubble that is nigh impossible to penetrate.

A massive chunk of our nation has been fed a steady diet of horseshit via a firehose while being gaslit that the garbage they read is the only truth out there.

This is a very complicated issue that really goes beyond "lol idiots glad they're gone." I don't know about you, but I work with people who believe these things (clients of mine), I live around people that believe these things, and I have family that believe these things. Are they all idiots? Individually, no. Are they all being shovelfed horrible propaganda served via deliberately gamed psychological channels to maximize impact? Absolutely.

How to fix this is a massive problem without a ready solution. How do you deprogram someone with years of mental conditioning? Think how easy it is for any of us to fall back into military habits. I still don't walk on grass if there's a sidewalk available.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Milo and POTUS posted:

What's the reason for this? Vietnam?

Shitloads of anti-government and anti-union propaganda began ramping up. By the time Reagan got to office, the populous had been generally whipped up that anything from the government was terrible and the free market would provide everything.

This propaganda was in response a backlash to the civil rights movement and has very much always been from the aggrieved white.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

That evil government is forcing colored kids into your schools! Bussing is gonna destroy this nation! This is tyranny that we must fight against!!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ASAPI posted:

Thanks for that. "People" say that the VA is better, I should use them, etc. Your experience is very much inline with what I have seen/experienced. I had to hope they were getting better.

This depends entirely on region. My VA experience is generally positive and is superior to most people I know with private insurance.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Dr. Tobin was an incredible expert witness and explained pretty clearly how Floyd died from lack of oxygen and exactly why what the cops did caused him to die.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

You want a straight man comic not a goof. Put Leslie Nielsen in there.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ASAPI posted:

Now I want a Roger Rabbit reboot with Leslie Nielsen...

I just want you to know, good luck, we're all counting on you.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Hekk posted:

LOL Sorry I probated the wrong person because I AM an Idiot King.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

This is good poo poo.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

It's because tucker carlson decided 8:30 pm eastern time was a good time to put up some pictures of hunter biden in a threesome with some women and a kid's squirtle doll is bedside.

The chyron is asking why this chapter wasn't included in his book.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Fallom posted:

Why are they trying to make a scandal out of a non-politician doing cool poo poo?

Because otherwise they have to talk about Matt.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

DMX died. :rip:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Sacrist65 posted:

I don't really know what to think of this clip because alot of the context is lost in the editing.

What the clip maybe doesn't show is the LT had been stopped long enough for backup to arrive, so maybe he was refusing lawful orders for a while at that point? Declining to provide license and registration, that sort of thing?

Before i get dogpiled, all im saying is clickbait like this is edited for maximum outrage / algorithmic distribution. Right Wing Media does this poo poo all the time. Maybe I'm wrong but I would reserve judgement until seeing the entire footage.

Edit- since this is part of a lawsuit, this particular clip may have been released by the LT's lawyers to put pressure on the city to settle out of court, or poison potential jurors.

If you read the article, the officer began the stop on the freeway. It was a few miles to pull over to the gas station. He radioed that the car was eluding him and backup arrived before the stop.

There is no justification whatsoever for the officers’ actions.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Thelonious posted:

I worked EMS for years and dealt closely with cops and the violence they perpetrate. Ride the lightning is a widely used euphemism for being tazered. You're giving cops too much credit, they aren't threatening the electric chair. Not when they can summarily execute people on the side of the road.

The cops said that while pointing his gun at the guy not his taser.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Every other nation not assuming that the Trump led USA would hoard any domestically produced vaccines was a huge fuckup.

Biden continuing the policy is not surprising, but I also think is pretty loving monstrous considering the state of the availability of vaccines elsewhere. He could easily just open the patents now, but the people that pay everyone don't want to turn off their loving gravy train.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

facialimpediment posted:

This article's a few months old, but opening the patents wouldn't just lead to more vaccine production right now: https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2021/02/02/myths-of-vaccine-manufacturing

drat near everything is fully supply bottlenecked and/or needs custom machinery on the mRNA side. On the J&J side, the US trusted Emergent to have cleaning/manufacturing standards that didn't suck (welp), so additional production is hosed until Merck comes online in a few months. The J&J doses that America has are foreign-manufactured, Donnie's people just signed the contracts first so got the deliveries first.

Right now, the US is getting most of the doses because we signed our contracts first. The rest of the world didn't front as much of the gazillions because none of it was guaranteed to produce actual vaccines. On top of that, they had quasi-competent governments pushing mitigation measures, while the Americans were pushing that masks were communism.

So the patent stuff is an issue that will constrain things in 6-12 months with the fight for generics and money. Right now, it's not hurting availability for any other country - that's contracting instead of patents.

It's not just contracting - those contracts the US has weren't negotiated first. Pfizer, for example, had sold all of their first run of supply to other nations because Trump didn't want to buy them at the time. He still purchased 100% of the first run of production forcing all of the extant export contracts to be sidelined.

We have the number of vaccines that we have because trump and biden both prevented pfizer or moderna from selling them to anyone else. the uk did something similar.

e: in other vaccine news, the sinovac vaccine has an efficacy of 56.5% four weeks after your second dose.
https://twitter.com/itosettiMD_MBA/status/1381182695695339520

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 11, 2021

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Arven posted:

You just know the current administration response is gonna be "officers need more training", as if sensitivity training has ever done anything for anyone ever in the history of mankind.

The problem is, all the money they're spending on training is training designed to make them behave more violently and aggressively.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

brains posted:

it really is astonishing how every single goddamn time these dudes just feel compelled to come to the defense of the poor sexual predator

They look and say "there but for the grace of God, go I."

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

not caring here posted:

That's what I took away from that.

He's libertarian.

Here's each political quadrant's thoughts on AOC:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Brute Squad posted:

i love every bit of this. lmao at jealous doj snoops.

I can't believe how spot on he nailed matt's head to torso ratio.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

orange juche posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyU6NtwspLM

WRT Egypt Egypting, the MV Ever Given crew could get hosed over like this guy. He's been stranded off the coast of Egypt since May 2017 because the shipping company abandoned him and the Egyptian government basically tricked him into signing as the guardian of the ship, and are holding him and his passport hostage until the ship is sold.

His situation is completely hosed, but it isn’t exactly the same as the Ever Given. He’s on an old oil tanker that is empty. The Ever Given is a newer ship with a massive amount of cargo onboard. There will be no problem finding a buyer for it.

E: he is not on a tanker but it does appear to be empty.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Apr 14, 2021

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Platystemon posted:

Oil tanker?

Whoops! I misremembered from the video yesterday. I blame moderna fever dreams.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Blind Rasputin posted:

How can the rich be still rich if all they have is a bunch of money that no longer exists? Makes you think that maybe we should abolish the USD.

Most of wealthy people's riches are not in cash instruments. That's just how they're valued. Jeff Bezos, for example, probably only has a few million in cash and a line of credit with no limit backed by his shares.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

https://twitter.com/NickAtNews/status/1382313924943609860

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Duzzy Funlop posted:

There's a really important shipment for me on the Ever Given, and her getting delayed (like all other stuck traffic) was already causing massive headaches for me and people that earn several times my salary, so the news of her getting seized made a bunch of folks bleed from the eyeballs today when I casually broke the news from WaPo before they had heard of it.

But it's all good, I don't have to worry about it for the near future because I got put on sick leave this afternoon for a potentially slipped disc.

:smith:

Y'all need to file an insurance claim and re-order whatever was on the shipment. Cause I think Evergreen said gently caress it, you deal with it when presented with the nearly billion dollar bill.

The $900m bill is pretty small compared to the actual cost of the stuck canal, imo, but that's the cost. Either Evergreen ponies up the cash, or that poo poo is going on the auction block. I don't have a source handy and this may have came from a fever dream, but I recall reading something yesterday that Evergreen was not going to pay Egypt. That ship isn't going anywhere for a while.