Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

more falafel please

forums poster

there's a fire on my new project and it turns out the guy i'm replacing and another guy who i used to manage both kinda hosed up the implementation of a thing and now it's My Problem

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please

forums poster

so I added an endpoint to our REST backend. that was actually pretty easy. then I have to generate the cpprest wrapper for that endpoint, then write the UE4 wrapper for that wrapper, then write the UE4 OnlineSubsystem wrapper for that wrapper, and then I realized that I'm missing a wrapper between the generated cpprest wrapper and the UE4 wrapper. 90% of this task is just writing goddamn glue code

more falafel please

forums poster

i have a friend who works at NS in like customer support? she's an accountant so she just walks accountants through setting up and maintaining their integration

more falafel please

forums poster

Mormon Nailer posted:

How long has she been there? I worked there in The Great Before so I haven't been there in like aaaaa 8 years

I pulled 2 years between Big Search Engine Company What Does Everything stints

i can't remember if it was right before or right after covid blew up, but regardless pretty recently so you wouldn't have overlapped. i think she generally likes the job though

more falafel please

forums poster

no they've admitted now that open plan offices are worse in every way except one, it's just that the one way is the only thing your boss cares about (it's cheaper)

more falafel please

forums poster

everything i've heard about microsoft is that everything is set up in a super-competitive and siloed manner so you'll have multiple feature teams on a project who absolutely despise each other, and personal advancement is often tied directly to your team's performance vs. another team's which a) seems like a terrible way to work and b) seems like a terrible way to actually make functional products

more falafel please

forums poster

I've had a few beers that use tea, I think it works best as a dry hop in something not too overpoweringly flavored

more falafel please

forums poster

jesus christ I hate microsoft so much. sony is obnoxious but their documentation is at least there, and if error codes aren't in the docs they're at least in the headers with human readable names. nintendo just always makes The Most Bizarre Choice Imaginable but again, it's documented. microsoft makes everything six layers more complicated than it needs to be, doesn't document it, or maybe they do, but their documentation doesn't have search, so it doesn't matter because you can't find it, and basically just relies on you contacting your DAM and having them tell you "oh no, that's a super common error, it just means you didn't configure any of your stuff right. we never told you you had to configure your stuff, but there's a doc on how to do it" (finding this doc is left as an exercise to the reader)

more falafel please

forums poster

Escape From Noise posted:

I figured out how to sparge on this system without it taking too much time. So many valves! My feet!

I'm going to start a fund to make your boss disappear.

hopefully "My feet!" refers to running around all day and not opening a valve of hot liquor on your feet

more falafel please

forums poster

I just use the brun' water spreadsheet.

more falafel please

forums poster

someone was vtubing as an anime girl in my work standup today. welp

more falafel please

forums poster

Cardi BYOB posted:

Might acquire a soap manufactory this week, dunno.

is this the big moves? that's exciting

more falafel please

forums poster

last time I was at work it was December 16, I don't wanna go back gently caress a job

more falafel please

forums poster

Areola Grande posted:

i took ur advice but this album is p terrible so far. what's the payoff

the drone is the payoff

more falafel please

forums poster

i saw boris at a festival one time and they blew out multiple orange stacks. i don't know how much they got paid for that set but it was probably a net negative

more falafel please

forums poster

my mom's name is spelled like one common name but pronounced like a different common name, and she gets mad at strangers when they spell or pronounce it wrong. how are they supposed to know!

more falafel please

forums poster

cruft posted:

My mom's name is Margaret but it's pronounced Cassandra.

it's sorta like that but they're similar names. think more along the lines of Kathleen (pronounced Catherine)

more falafel please

forums poster

a recruiter email hit me with the ol "I hope this email finds you well"

well, Euan, it doesn't

more falafel please

forums poster

Maibock? I know you said you don't have much experience with lagers, but that's about the right timeframe, and the style is great for spring.

Kölsch would also do good with some lagering, also great for spring

more falafel please

forums poster

Farecoal posted:

Does anybody know how 2 get rich quik, perhaps thru some sort of scheme? This working thing sucks

there's a thread that lets you become a billionaire, but i pretty sure i'm gonna get it so that probably isn't much help

more falafel please

forums poster

more falafel please

forums poster

is that kevin mitnick lol

more falafel please

forums poster

Sarah Cenia posted:

he was teaching us to not give out passwords over the phone, even if the person disguises their voice to sound like your boss if maybe your boss was a sick 94 year old man

my IT department also made us do kevin mitnick's anti-phishing training

funny that they never mention his backstory in those videos

more falafel please

forums poster

actually gently caress that security training because a few weeks later I got an email from them with the subject like "<company> security alert" with a from address of Kevin mitnick's security training company and a link which I verified was to Kevin mitnick's security training company, so after I verified all that I clicked the link, which took me to a page that said "haha rekt you got phished, now you have to do remedial security training" and like, no I fuckin didn't

more falafel please

forums poster

Escape From Noise posted:

Kegged the biere de Mars, which is one I'm very proud of.

what's the shipping cost on a crowler? wanna try that biere

more falafel please

forums poster

I'm on a project for a company that's known for its terrible work/life balance and while my company does a good job insulating us from that, I did just get email notifications that an engineer manager is doing code reviews right now. they're on pacific time so its 10:45 but still it's so loving late

if I was 23 and new to the industry but working from home I would definitely take that as a sign that I should also be working right now

more falafel please

forums poster

yeah tbh i wouldn't say anything. in a work setting i'm basically never going to comment on someone's appearance except for things that are clearly a deliberate choice ("new haircut, looks great!" or "oh those are cool boots!")

more falafel please

forums poster

Cardi BYOB posted:

How else will I get gayer and topple god

Work Krew 2: get gayer and topple god

more falafel please

forums poster

there's like two "french" beer styles and honestly they're just slightly different belgians

more falafel please

forums poster

what about tea? maybe white tea and pink peppercorn?

more falafel please

forums poster

oh poo poo I just brewed a saison today. maybe I'll dry hop it with white tea and pink peppercorn that sounds good

more falafel please

forums poster

this is coming from a position of pretty significant privilege: i have a job that pays well enough that i can pay my bills, spend a decent amount of fuckaround money, save some and my wife can work part time (she does a whole bunch of non-work stuff like volunteering and whatnot and she's just always hated the 9-5), i have a good work/life balance, and i like my job well enough.

hobbies are great because you don't have to be good at them, you don't have to do them all the time, and it doesn't matter if you keep them up or not. i make beer cause it's fun and i get beer. i make poo poo out of wood cause it's fun and challenging and i'm not great at it, but it doesn't matter that i'm kinda poo poo at it. as a wise dog once said, sucking at something is the first step to being sorta good at something

more falafel please

forums poster

there's somethign really nice about the roku 24/7 streams of one show. like you can just watch this old house forever

more falafel please

forums poster

xcheopis posted:

There used to be (still is?) a Real Foods near where I lived. I once asked if they carried mineral oil and the clerk very smugly told me that they didn't carry products made from hydrocarbons.
I'm sure my expression was very expressive.

lol

don't want any chemicals in your products!

more falafel please

forums poster

carbon based life implies the existence of silicon cringe life

more falafel please

forums poster

Finger Prince posted:

Can you even use the same equipment? I know some wineries also make cider, but I've never heard of a place that makes both beer and wine. I imagine you'd need a whole separate fermentation setup.

if I was working on the commercial level I'd be worried about contamination between yeast strains, especially as some wine strains have a gene that causes them to kill other strains.

also, i would want a bunch of secondary fermentation tanks that were dedicated to wine, because it needs significantly more time than beer.

more falafel please

forums poster

Dr. Honked posted:

"curdentials"

this just means you're trained in poutinery

more falafel please

forums poster

i'm required to do my Actual, You Know, For The Client work on a separate computer than the one I run teams on, so if my indicator goes yellow that's actually a sign i'm doing work

more falafel please

forums poster

my work's phishing training is brought to us by my middle school hacker hero, "free" kevin mitnick

they did a bullshit thing though where they phish you a couple weeks after the training with an email from the company you just did phishing training with, address checks out, here's a link to something about your phishing training, outlook doesn't notice a problem with it, ok, copy the link, paste to notepad and inspect it, no weird Unicode sequences or something like that, domain is the same as the website of the phishing training thing, cool. this should be safe to copy/paste. bam you got phished motherfucker except I didn't! i did everything right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please

forums poster

no it was a big gotcha and it meant I had to take the drat phishing training again where they explain how you shouldn't click links if you haven't inspected the actual url and made sure it was a domain that you actually have an account with, etc. and I did all that and then Kevin loving Mitnick comes out and shames me for this