Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

JustJeff88 posted:

I just wanted to thank you warmly for the update and for the spacing.

I know a lot more about SC1 than SC2, but the Queen gets an ability in 2 (I won't spoil) that she does not in 1 that I quite miss.

The Queen in SC2 is honestly a completely different unit from the SC1 one with a different purpose. If they didn't have the same name and vaguely similar appearance there'd be no reason to relate them to each other.

The classic Queen does appear in SC2's campaign though, and does have one new ability, but I suspect that's not the one you're talking about since it's just what SC2 zerg does instead of having creep colonies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

ninjahedgehog posted:

I get why people would have qualms with this change, but I personally think it's great. Kerrigan's original infested portrait is just goofy IMO, and her attack noise sounds like a literal wet fart. (can't find a video of it, but if you know you know)

I think the goofiness of original Kerrigan works - she looks like a zombie and that does help push that she's been turned into a monster. Both of the HD versions have obviously been geared toward making her sexier and I don't think that is in itself an improvement. It's pretty cringey for human Kerrigan to look more like a pinup model than a soldier, but for zerg one it's not too bad - she's got a dangerous look in her eyes and it presents her as kind of willful, which she certainly is. At least with Zerg colours it doesn't look like make up was part of her routine in gearing up for combat.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

I like this idea in theory but I am not giving Blizzard this much credit.

Well it was obviously Blizzard's decision either way.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Sally posted:

thay cutscene is an absolute goat. i have never played SC2 but am dismayed to hear the redneck aesthetic was ditched

It's a victim of the general art aesthetic shift Blizzard had around that time. Everything looks like plastic cartoon toys. Hell, Overwatch actually had licenced lego sets. That grungy, redneck aesthetic just doesn't fit in with a Raynor's Rebel Marines Action Figure Pack, $24.99.

I'm actually not really against that change in art style - I prefer watching SC2 matches to Brood War ones purely on the basis of being more pleasant to look at and easy to follow. They definitely succeeded in what that art style is there to achieve. But some of the setting's heart was definitely lost in the process.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

From their shape I'd imagine they have rigid lighter-than-air gas bladders keeping them afloat, modulating their height by producing and expelling the gas.

So, yes, constant farting.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

GodFish posted:

I've always assumed guardians were actually out in orbit of the planet, not actually in the 'air', just like battle cruisers or science vessels. But the scale has never been particularly consistent. A crashed BC is apparently actually as big as a flying one even if we see them in cutscenes the size of small cities.

Thing is, if anything was actually in orbit you couldn't hold it still, it would just whizz repeatedly over the battlefield as it goes around the planet. Orbit isn't about being high enough up that gravity stops affecting you (that never really happens, and even the point where gravity is negligible is way too far away to be able to meaningfully affect anything on the planet), you have to be going fast enough around that it can't pull you in.

Not that I really expect the Blizzard developers to have known or cared about that. They were just making cool space laser battles, not actual scientific accuracy.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

painedforever posted:

Is teching up worth it in competitive play? It seems as though you need to pick a unit, spam it, and win through lots and lots of clicking.

... I'll bet this is why I've never gotten anywhere in RTS games.

Figuring out how best to spend your resources between increasing your economy (ie bases and workers), increasing your production, building your army and advancing your tech is the whole macro side of the game. There's no one right answer and you need to adapt to the strategies you've developed and the state of the battle.

If you never tech at all and try to build an army consisting entirely of unupgraded marines, zerglings or zealots, you will most likely lose past the early game. On the other hand, if you're building every tech building and researching every upgrade for every unit, you are also wasting a lot of resources that won't affect the ongoing battle. Figure out what units and moves you want to use in your strategy, and research the tech you need for that - finding times you can do it without leaving yourself vulnerable is a skill to practice.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

JohnKilltrane posted:

Also 100 Killtrane Bucks to whoever comes up with the best explanation for why a swarm of insects prevents accurately targeting the units underneath while still allowing the units underneath - friend or foe - to accurately target anything outside.

I'd say the bugs in the swarm are actually clustering on the units sitting under it, camouflaging them against the swirling mass of bugs in the air but without impeding their own ability to see.

As for why this isn't worked around with Detectors... the bugs are electromagnetic. Yeah, that'll do.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

JustJeff88 posted:

A little disappointed by how simplistic the Zerg vs Zerg 'meta' game seems to be. I would think that one faction vs itself would be the ultimate in versatility and subtle strategy since both players have access to all the same tools.

Brood War's balance isn't as perfect as it's often touted to be. Mutalisks are overpowered, just within the context of Zerg units rather than tipping the balance between factions. In a mirror match, that kind of intra-faction balance matters, so ZvZ becomes about who has the best control over their stack of mutalisks.
It's probably not a coincidence that when Brood War was made all three factions were given a new unit that counters flying units.

The problem is that Starcraft largely stumbled into having such complex counterplay harmonies across all of their mechanics. So if they try to change mutas to be less dominant, or make any of the never-used units more viable competitively, they risk breaking it.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

My gut feel on the Kerrigan/Aiur situation is that what the Overmind needed out of her was the process of infesting a powerful psionic, not the Queen of Blades herself - it just needed her as a test subject to figure out how to incorporate her powers into the Swarm. Once that was done, it could go after the Protoss and, potentially, fold them and their purity of form into the fold. I think the opening of this mission supports that!
It didn't need Kerrigan herself once she had survived infestation, but also she was useful enough not to just kill off, so she got to go play with Tassadar.

Also supprting Avram as the name, has a nice portentious tone. Nergal's a bit overdone.

Side-note about the music, but I really love the tone of the briefing music, both for the zerg and the protoss we'll see later. It's funny, while the terrans' level themes are absolute bangers the briefing music is just moody noise, while for the other factions it's the other way round (for the most part, both factions' level themes have their moments).

redleader posted:

this is dumb. this is so, so dumb. holy poo poo this is just so fuckin stupid! why would you write this bullshit! argh!!!

... so are you planning on doing an sc2 lp?

This LP got me going back to Starcraft 2 and giving it a replay a while ago. I'd remembered the writing had always been pretty silly and bad back when it came out. But nowadays with the benefit of maturity and hindsight coming back to it after all these years, I think it's safe to say it's actually total dogshit.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Gun Jam posted:

Cerebrate name: Man, Avram is such a pedestrian name (it's reasonably common over here).

In the spirit of this, let's call the cerebrate Steve

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Bloody Pom posted:

It was a popular fan theory I believe, but yeah. To my knowledge there's only one instance of the player commander becoming an NPC later on, and that's a while away.

I thought both Artanis and Selendis were confirmed to be characters you play as in the Protoss campaigns?

Matt Horner being the Magistrate is less a "fan theory" and more that, in SC2 he's Raynor's number two that is responsible for all of the battle operations - really you'd need a reason for him to not be Raynor's closest companion in SC1 that is responsible for all of the battle operations. Especially with no other explanation for where the Magistrate went, since they'd be just as much of a fugitive. Maybe they needed a reason for Horner to not have a history with Kerrigan and Mengsk but... from the way SC2's campaign plays out, if they did need that of him, they didn't do anything with it.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I guess a big part of that is just down to how the campaign plays for the AI. The pacing usually being that you establish your army, you go raid the enemy base, and they have an army in that base to make destroying it difficult. Unless the mission specifically calls for it, they're not going to mobilise their army to take down your base, they'll just send small probing attacks to keep you on your toes. It balances out with the fact that until you're ready to roll over their base, the AI army definitely outmatches you (and there may be two or three of them too). If they actually tried to take you out before you're ready to hit them, they'd win handily.

Melee AI, on the other hand, absolutely is mobilising its army to wipe you out. It starts on equal footing with you, so it can. And it's trying to simulate the multiplayer experience, where your enemy obviously will try to defeat you.

Basic units like marines and zerglings don't really thrive in small probing attack contexts, they need force of numbers.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Honestly hydrogen makes a lot more sense than helium for that. It's readily available in normal biological processes and even lighter. It would have the downside of implying overlords are explosive but I would argue that that's rad actually.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

JohnKilltrane posted:

Queue base razing montage.

JohnKilltrane posted:

Okay, remember that base-razing montage we queued up? Let's cue it now

:allears:

Congratulations to the mighty Steve for wreaking havoc on the Protoss! The protoss are my favourite faction (at least aesthetically, I never really got to grips with playing them effectively) so I'm looking forward to campaign 3.

I played through the base game in Mass Recall recently, as well as part of the first campaign of Brood War, and while Blizzard might have officially declared Artanis to be the executor here that clearly wasn't their intention when they introduce him in the expansion. So to that end I'm going to vote for Selendis to be our executor. Plus it means there gets to be a woman anywhere in this campaign!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

Artanis is a boring Boy Scout, Selendis has some attitude.

This is also very true. If Selendis had been the protagonist of LotV it would have solved at least 40% of the problems with it.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

JohnKilltrane posted:

(Actually I never connected these dots before but come to think of it the Xel'Naga creating the Overmind is really just them saying "Okay, what if we took something like the Protoss' link except there's no way to opt out?")

I always figured this was what Purity Of Essence was about. The protoss' psionic abilities making them essentially wizards marked them out as the peak of biological ability - the purity of form - but when they didn't prove able to hold together as a society the Xel'Naga took what they thought was missing and gave it to a species that would be capable of absorbing that peak form into their own biology, making the true ultimate life form.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The Zerg haven't taken Aiur yet. They've invaded in force, for sure, and clearly claimed territory, but the Protoss still hold most of the planet. For now.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Aces High posted:

So with the whole Greek word for the name of their race, which is the correct pronunciation for the plural of Nexus?

Nexodes

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

There's an interesting interplay between a Probe being able to warp in a base very quickly, but still having to wait for the first pylon to finish to start doing it. It's a nice way to have an ability that feels strong without really being overpowered. The ease with which you can poo poo out a bunch of photon cannons is also probably part of why they're so flimsy.

Aldaris' voice acting is wonderful, by the way. He is so good at contempt. As a judicator caste he was born higher than anyone else in the campaign and he knows it.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

You know, that cut line from Fenix does get at a lingering question I had about the Protoss at this point - their whole deal is being a warrior culture, including an entire unit type that consists of injured veterans given exoskeletons so they can keep on fighting. But also there hasn't been a war among the Protoss since the time of Adun in the distant past. So until the Zerg turned up in the sector ~60 years ago, who were they fighting?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The Night Elves also got the zerg's "workers become the building" thing, although only for those same movable buildings.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Healing-wise, I'd assume Protoss can heal from minor injuries just like unassisted Terrans can, slowly over the course of days or months - far too slowly to matter to any given battle. Only the zerg's rapid metabolism can make a difference there.

I could similarly be convinced that they're perfectly capable of repairing their equipment and infrastructure, but the khalai that do that are never let anywhere near the battlefield. They could warp in some engineers once clear of enemies and warp them out again if it looks like there's going to be another fight. Either to keep them safe or to deny the low-born the honour of combat, possibly both.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Poil posted:

Which are not shown in game so I call BS on that. Scouts forever.

You do get to see one in Starcraft 2.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Given how the Protoss armies are basically running 100% on energy weapons, I could imagine the unit upgrades being upgrades you make to the local pylon network to sustain different types of power draw. Still doesn't explain why you need to supply materials and require infrastructure to produce units (other than the obvious game balance).

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I suppose if you want a version of Starcraft 1 that's got all the modern bells and whistles, Mass Recall exists anyway.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Szarrukin posted:

You just have to accept that it is much, much harder than SC1

Yes, although the lowest difficulty is still not terribly challenging so you should at least be able to get through the game at pretty much any skill level.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It would have been much cooler to have Fenix cut through a dozen hydralisks before finally being overwhelmed.

Much harder to animate though.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

It's interesting that "we can't fix certain things or it will break the overall game balance" is such a guiding principle in SC1 multiplayer, because SC2 multiplayer just does not work like that at all. The devs regularly tweak the game, sometimes changing up unit rosters, and that results in every patch developing a new meta. This isn't necessarily bad, but it's just so different from the approach to SC1.

Well, Starcraft 1 built up its e-sports meta over years without any input from Blizzard, and was the first game to go properly mainstream that way. Maybe they could rebalance everything in a reasonably satisfying way, but they'd be risking killing the golden goose (I don't think Blizzard actually made any money off the Korean pro scene but it's still a huge reputational boon, not to mention a point of company pride for anyone who might still feel that). You'd be risking pissing off the whole audience sticking your oar in to change things about a game that has until then maintained its own balance through the meta.

Starcraft 2, on the other hand, has been actively patched from the start and its pro scene has had Blizzard directly engaged. For it, "sticking their oar in" doesn't really hurt when they were steering the ship to begin with. And there's no mythology about Starcraft 2 being a perfectly balanced masterpiece to ruin either.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

JohnKilltrane posted:

And yes, exactly. The burning structures in Steve's base can also summon Duke if they're destroyed, and in fact I suppose that would make his line about "reckless attack on the Zerg" more pertinent.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's the purpose of Duke being here. Otherwise it's just a base in the corner of the map, not interacting with the mission, that won't attack you until you attack it.

Also that this is the only time the Protoss fight the Terrans before the expansion.

As for the orange zerg, the zerg broods do repeat colours - we were fighting purple zerg in the terran campaign plenty before Steve was spawned. This is probably a new Cerebrate.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

JustJeff88 posted:

When was this toning down done? I played a few years ago, and had the common problem of being bored on easy while having my face pushed in on normal.

I also didn't realise that they made such drastic gameplay changes to core units. When did that happen? I cannot imagine building 10 zerglings at a go.

I assume the batches-of-10 thing is for that Real Scale mod. Mass Recall still just replicates the mechanics of SC1/Brood War.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Selendis. She deserves better than she got in SC2.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Lynneth posted:

Selendis with Matt chiming in whenever he feels like.

Totally on board with Matt being along for the ride.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Zerg are hard to count one way or another. Hatcheries produce spawn, so they're female if anything, but that's clearly asexual reproduction so they could just as easily not be anything. Zerg most likely aren't sexed and I could easily see Kerrigan being the first member of the Swarm to bring any notion of gender identity.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I imagine Tassadar is hoping that with his surrender the Conclave will stop their aggressions and Artanis can focus on bringing Zeratul and the Dark Templar against the cerebrates. Which is crediting the Conclave with far too much, but then Tassadar has likely not questioned their wisdom for most of a very long life.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

There's also just something about the way Tassadar reacts. It's not, "Oh wow, so they managed to get you into a Dragoon after all, awesome!" It's a total :wtc: response, as if the possibility never occurred to him. "It can't be!" and "How is it that you live and breathe?" are things you'd only say if you had 0 idea where Dragoons come from.

I guess the idea was, "What if the player never read the manual and actually has 0 idea where Dragoons come from?"

This would probably have been a good use for having Jimmy around, even if he isn't in this mission. Just someone who legitimately doesn't know what Dragoons are and needs it explained to them. I do think it's good to have that explanation in here, it's just that yeah, Tassadar of all people doesn't need to hear it.

Maybe Zeratul instead? You could say the dark templar don't have Dragoons, I think that's generally consistent with what we see of them later/in SC2.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

BlazetheInferno posted:

Shame they didn't do the same with High Templar until Legacy of the Void, and even then, I'm pretty sure for Campaign only.

Certain mods for Starcraft 1 do it, though. *coughUEDAIPcough*

Well, Queens and Science Vessels don't get attacks either - I think it's because with its cloaking field the Arbiter is one spellcaster you specifically want moving with your army so it should probably respond to the same controls.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Imagine if Dark Swarm only cloaked units instead of made them unattackable

Honestly it'd still be pretty good probably

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It should be noted the Starcraft 2 thread is also in Retro Games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I always figured the Arbiters' Tribunal just contained accommodations befitting what the judicator caste expected. Them stabilising local spacetime to handle the Arbiters is so over-the-top, I love it.