Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

SpaceCommie posted:

I was thinking about green until that tweet was brought up again. Currenlty motiviating myself out of spite to go to the pools purely to try and get Binface to have more votes than Fox. He probably won't care as it's all a publicity stunt but still.

Yeah, might as well get a tiny smidgen of fun out of the shitstorm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

I just voted entirely out of spite. Count Binface to spite Fox, Sadiq to spite internet racists who hate us having a Muslim mayor, and all the rest Green to spite Keith and his Red Tories (and also to spite Sian Berry for not wanting ex-Corbynistas, tough poo poo lady, though I admit that's rather spiting myself in the foot there).

I'd still far rather have someone to vote for.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

TACD posted:

The good news is you passed the final exam in the British citizenship test

I think it was actually

Gats Akimbo posted:

spiting myself in the foot

that got me in with honours :britain:

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've still yet to see a single leaflet from Labour for either GLA or Mayoral elections. Two from the Tories, one novella from the piss-drinker, one from the weirdo Rahman Rump telling me that I need to vote to keep a directly elected Tower Hamlets mayor (there's a referendum going on for that as well as the election). What's noticeable (as I'm at home to see it) is that all of the leaflets that have been delivered have been by the same guys who do the pizza leaflets and estate agent PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD TELL US YOU HAVE ROOMS TO RENT solicitations. It's almost as though they local Labour party lack either the cash to pay a fiver per hundred leaflets or the volunteers to deliver them for free.

I got a "Vote Labour Today" one through the door just now* along with a couple of Lidl leaflets, so yeah, definitely out of money and/or volunteers.

(*Haha! Too late suckers!)

Ed: Also bought fudge

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Party Boat posted:

Labour are really focused on GOTV here, we had multiple leaflets through the door and one of the (not up for election) councillors door knocking an hour ago to ask if we'd voted.

I had a gang of them actually knock on my door half an hour ago. Told them I'd already voted and snarled that I wouldn't vote for Starmer if they paid me when they said they hoped it was for Labour. I feel a bit ashamed now; it must be a hapless job treading the pavements for that copsucking void.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

RAYNER'S LEOPARD-PRINT TROUSERS COST US HARTLEPOOL!

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Mister Fantastic posted:

He does have policies. He has:
* sensible centrism
* flags

* support are police

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

fudge yay!

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Jippa posted:

My only advice for people getting jabs is the "appointments" aren't really that. You just roll into a room and they jab you, give you a bit of paper then send you off. I barely had enough time to take my shirt off. It took about 60-90 secs and I didn't even sit down.

Also make sure to relax your whole arm including the shoulder, let it hang as they get you right in the muscle.

Three days later my shoulder is fine but my neck on that side is still stiff.

Huh, both mine they made everyone sit in a waiting room for 15 mins afterwards, presumably to check we didn't faint or anaphylax or explode into a cloud of vaccine microparticles. But that was the local health centre so maybe they had more room.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Camrath posted:

Got my second Pfizer shot this afternoon. Managed to avoid any side effects from the first, so here’s hoping.

I've had 2 with no effects bar a hot spot on my arm the 2nd time (hot temperature, not notably painful) so it's certainly possible. Good luck!

(The fudge is going down well with friends, so I may have got you more victims customers.)

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Ghosts Love Wubs posted:

No, there's been an issue since last autumn of one, maybe two fireworks being let off on random days usually around 8.30. It stopped around February of this year and I had hoped that was the end of it. I've never had multiple rockets explode above my house in a 2 hour period though.

I've got the quietly annoyed bit perfected right now. As long as posting is still counted as being quiet.

Local council noise abatement? Is it a free house or managed for a brewery?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I believe that is a threat to kill.

That is not dead which can eternal lie

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

I love the little pan round to show the police van right loving there.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Vagabong posted:

If your crumpets ect. are stuck in the toaster you just have to slam the spring handle up and down with one hand and swat the crumpets out of the air with the other when they pop out the top.

Do it with the flat of a ready-buttered knife to save time.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

u brexit ukip it posted:

But this thread has the perfect amount of posts - not so many that I can't keep up but enough that there is usually some interesting discussion (unless it's about crisps) (paprika flavoured ones are the best but hard to come by here)

If you're anywhere near me it's because I hoover the buggers up as soon as they appear in the Co-op. They're all on top of my fridge. Sorry.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

keep punching joe posted:

Oh its more a empathic guilt because I know personally other people who are pulling 50-60 hour weeks for less pay and more stress.

Yeah. My pay's not great but it's more than enough for me and expenses, and I'm enjoying working from home. As long as I'm around to answer the phones and keep an eye on the email no-one's on my back, and 90% of my "work" is updating Slack for clients so I'm just sitting here lazing around the internet.

I am so loving lucky to be getting away with this.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Guavanaut posted:

Wildly popular with both critics and audiences but does not engage with the key demographic of 'media failsons paid by the line' required to become high art.

STOP LIKING THE WRONG THINGS YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO LIKE STARMER NOT SHREK YOU STUPID PUBLIC!

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

My sister's a landlord. :(

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

jaete posted:

Yep that's the biological context. In Tolkien it seems that elves and humans are on some level the same species but different subspecies (or different "races"), since they can produce viable offspring. It immediately gets a bit difficult though since the offspring of half-elves can choose for themselves whether they want to be elves (immortal) or humans (short-lived, but... with no upsides I guess?), so there's some literal magic involved :v:

But Tolkien never mentions (afaik) any other half-anything, for example dwarves or ents never get involved in that kind of stuff. Maiar (Gandalf etc) seem to be above reproduction, except actually one of them apparently had viable offspring with an elf, and... yeah, in general it's murky and mostly unexplored.

There's the southern guy hanging out with Bill Ferny who the hobbits think "looks more than half like a goblin", but since none of them have ever seen an orc at that point it's kind of hard to tell whether that's a hint at interbreeding or just hobbits being racist.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

keep punching joe posted:

I always took him as being some creation of Saruman, like the Uruk Hai who were (maybe I'm misremembering) a half breed of orcs and men. Orcs of course already being Morgoths corrupted Elves.

It's pretty up in the air what Saruman actually did to make them sunproof, IIRC. Could be interbreeding, could be inventing factor 50 and sunglasses. I don't think it was ever made any clearer in the mighty tomes of notes.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Weren't hunter-gatherers taller and healthier on average, with more leisure time, than the agrarian civilisations that started writing? That could have formed a shared cultural memory of an idealised and romanticised golden age that was now unattainable. I'm probably talking out of my arse here.

Yeah, I think it's just generic human "everything was cooler when I was younger and my grandad said things were WAY more cool when HE was young and young people today are all lazy shiftless and useless"-ism.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Lunar Suite posted:

I believe some flu vaccines are raised in egg cells, and thus can't be guaranteed to be free of egg allergens?

Also, the CDC states people can be allergic to PEG or polysorbate, which are filler sort-of-plastics in vaccines to make 'em gloopy.

I got Pfizered in spite of telling the nice lady that I'm allergic to morphine and bananas. She just wanted to know what morphine does to me (dizziness and nausea) then stuck me anyway.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

goddamnedtwisto posted:

On the "Giants roaming the earth" thing - it's one of those weird things that seems to have cropped up at multiple points in human history, in completely unrelated societies and one interesting theory I've heard is that it's one of a couple of ways very early religious/philosophical thought can go - that societies/religions that have giants in their mythology tend to have basically humanoid gods, while pantheistic/animistic societies tend not to have giants in their mythology.

I suppose it's a natural progression once you achieve consciousness and start asking "Well how did that big loving mountain get there?" to think "Well I can move rocks around, so that mountain must have been put there by basically a really big version of me" and end up with a Big Beard (or Beards) In The Sky being responsible for the entire universe. Then they discover brewing and/or fun mushrooms and you start getting "Well I reckon that mountain happened when a giant ripped his cock off and threw it at another giant" turning up in the timeline.

Of course there were giants, stupid, you can find their bones sometimes!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrie...roduction_2011)

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Lady Demelza posted:

A historian of my acquaintance speculated that a lot of aristocrats died of constipation. Many died after a shortish illness with abdominal pains and bloating, sometimes with 'obstructions', after a lifetime of heavy meat consumption and laudenum.

Your lower classes wouldn't have had quite as much opiate-based medical treatment or meat, and at various times probably not enough food of any description to cause fatal constipation. Assuming whatever the cheap bread/milk/sugar was cut with to bulk it out didn't also give them exciting intestinal experiences.

Daresay the intestinal parasites kept things moving too...

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

stev posted:

It was one of the poems featured in this bad boy, which for most English people who went to secondary school in the late 2000s is the sum total of the poetry we've been exposed to.

I'm old enough to have had Geoffrey Summerfield's Voices anthologies, which were fuckin' awesome.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Gonzo McFee posted:

See the thing about me is I really care about the Jews and Israel, innit? Also, I want to go back to World war 2. I see no contradictions with this.

Also I want to go back to the time when Jewish refugees weren't allowed into the country. I am very smart.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Failed Imagineer posted:

If I ever get done for carrying a big knife around , I will simply point to my long history of geocaching knives as a hobby. The evidence can be found here, in this post where I refer to my love of geocaching knives with all of you fine people in the UKMT Knife Club

UKMT Knife and Lockpicks Club, you mean.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Julio Cruz posted:

cricket bat, maybe

considering the rarity of baseball teams in this country I think you'd have a tough job convincing the filth that you were just going down the park for a quick nine innings

Quick game of rounders with your mates.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The actual answer (at least for England and Wales) is that carrying a lockpick set is "going equipped":
On the face of it this seems a right bastard of a law but note that the wording is not *may* be used in connection with any burglary, but that the article must be for using in the course of etc. The point is they have to prove that you had the item - whether a crushed-up coke can or a complete set of lockpicks or a six-foot jemmy - to commit a burglary. This of course is spinning the barrels depending on context (and skin colour) but if you can get even the slightest plausible deniability about why you have them on you then you should be in the clear.

Occurs to me as an IT bod that lockpicks are very useful timesavers to have around for the times a client's rack is locked and you can't find the keys, or the front panel of a server's locked and you need to swap in a new HD.

Just putting that out there.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Clarence posted:

If the paint job is supposed to represent the Union Flag, then the diagonal red stripes are in the wrong place. :colbert:

Maybe it's trying to show it's in distress?

It looks like it's taken a good kicking already so maybe?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Guavanaut posted:

Half a dozen men wearing ski masks and combats jumped out of a milk float, shouted "déiríochta ár lá" and tipped a small strawberry yogurt down him.

déiríochta

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Good luck! And don't forget the survival kit in a tobacco tin (or mints tin).

https://www.instructables.com/Survival-Kit-in-a-tin-better-than-other-ones-ive/

He seems really keen on lubricants.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

goddamnedtwisto posted:

e: The long-vaunted plan to upgrade the Trans Siberian and Manchurian railways to high-speed freight *would* take a lot of strain off air freight in that direction at least, but that doesn't put a dent in shipping to the US.

Obviously it's time to build the Trans-Bering Railway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

The really depressing thing is it's not even a new reveal - I have a copy of Solomon Steckoll's The Alderney Death Camp right here, published 1982. Not that I'm sorry it's getting noticed and re-revealed, but there's a certain feeling of gently caress, it'll just be another 9-day horror and then whoops down the memory hole again.