Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

e: stupid post, sorry, can I get a comedy sixer? Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

so idk if it's been posted here yet, but here's a good look at how batshit the Home Office is in the 21st century: https://twitter.com/trillingual/status/1392746894372265984?s=19

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

tbh 99% of everything that comes out of the Guardian is liberal shite, but once in a blue moon you have pieces of actual journalism like this that you wouldn't get from any of the conservative broadsheets

anyway the Guardian's still one of the biggest TERF mouthpieces in the country, so it can gently caress off

Venomous fucked around with this message at 13:10 on May 17, 2021

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

people hate Shrek??? huh.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

who cares. pick up a foot ball

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

can we just put this in the OP so we never have anything like that stupid Shrek debate again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0la5DBtOVNI

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

It's been said in these threads before, but at its best, the BBC's drama division (Line of Duty, Peaky Blinders etc.) is second to none and pretty drat lefty

it's such a shame that it's tied to an increasingly right-wing comedy division (rip the Mash Report) and a far-right state news broadcaster

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Lord of the Llamas posted:

This is even worse than the amount of time they spent saying "DID CORBYN EVEN VOTE REMAIN HUH?" despite the fact he tweeted a picture of himself outside the polling station on the day of the referendum saying he was voting remain.

No but we didn't see his ballot paper so we didn't know how he voted and what do you mean that photographing your ballot paper is illegal

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

my Dad wants me to stop calling Boris Boris, because that's just his stage name and he doesn't deserve the dignity of being called that, but who gives a poo poo. kayfabe is real. He's an absolute gobshite and we should call Boris whatever the gently caress we want

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

still amazed that Stella Creasy is so willfully ignorant of global history and so ideologically committed to Blairism that the first thing she associates the term 'New Deal' with is Blair's dogshit workfare scheme

I know history ended in 1991 for these people, but holy heck, that's no reason to willingly ignore world history altogether

Venomous fucked around with this message at 14:51 on May 22, 2021

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Thank you so goddamn much for this, I've been worried sick that I'd never get my jags

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Prescott?

(Hey I'm allowed one lovely typo joke for every actual helpful post I make)

Typo? 'Jag' is a colloquial term for 'vaccination' in Scotland :confused:

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Well vaccination or partick thistle supporter

ah yes, the pinnacle of Scottish jags:

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Look just because Robert Burns could get away with claiming spelling mistakes were another language doesn't mean you lot can.

right inuff
ma language is disgraceful

ma maw tellt mi
ma teacher tellt mi
thi doactir tellt mi
thi priest tellt mi

ma boss tellt mi
ma landlady in carrington street tellt mi
thi lassie ah tried tay get aff way in 1969 tellt mi
sum wee smout thit thoat ah hudny read Chomsky tellt mi
a calvinistic communist thit thoat ah wuz revisionist tellt mi

po-faced literati grimly kerryin thi burden a thi past tellt mi
po-faced literati grimly kerryin thi burden a thi future tellt mi
ma wife telt me jist-tae-get-inty-this-poem tellt mi
ma wainz came hame fray school an tellt mi
jist aboot ivry book ah oapned tellt mi
even thi introduction tay thi Scottish National Dictionary tellt mi

ach well
all livin language is sacred
gently caress thi lohta thim

Venomous fucked around with this message at 14:14 on May 24, 2021

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

stev posted:

On first glance I thought this was the 6 O'clock News poem from GCSE English but after Googling it's the same poet. Seems he had a shtick and stuck to it.

tbh Tom Leonard's one of my favourite poets ever ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Interesting that you read Six O'Clock News for your GCSEs. Never came across him until I got to uni tbh, but in my experience secondary education in Scotland doesn't really encourage you to read texts that diverge from standard orthographies or standard literary forms.

Leonard was always touchy about his work being called 'Scots', because it's really just English as presented by a working class Glaswegian speaker, and I guess that's why you had to read him in your GCSEs. The idea of a correct way of speaking and writing the English language, after all, is a legacy of the British Empire, and that extends to the baffling idea that there's a standard 'Scots' language when there's nothing of the sort. I know that has very little to do with what you said, but it relates to what twisto was talking about earlier, so it's worth mentioning while we're on the subject.

Edwin Muir had a really good take on this in his book on Walter Scott, but idk where or even if I can find it online lmao

Venomous fucked around with this message at 14:51 on May 24, 2021

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Oh absolutely, shakespeare is wasted on kids, and I don't mean that as a dig at kids.

I didn't understand any of Hamlet when I was forced to read it at school, nor the subtlety of any of the big memorable phrases we were told to memorise, nor the point of any of it because all of the videos we saw of it were the big, legs wide apart thespians roaring "OOOUH, tobeornottobethatisthe QUESTIYON."

As much as people may rag on David Tennant's whole gurning shtick that was at it's worst in Doctor Who, he was a really interesting contemporary Hamlet in 2009's RSC production.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On14CIYwpyE

The scene is really, really clearly laid out and set up and the way the lines are said is not completely natural (because it's Tennant) but everything from the gravedigger's accent to the moment of recognition tell you infinitely more than the usual, standing in a spotlight with a skull staging usually does:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAbuojia1zc

That reminds me! A couple of weeks ago I watched this wee video about how Shakespeare's English actually sounded:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeW1eV7Oc5A

and it lead me to this Original Pronunciation rendition of the To Be Or Not To Be soliloquy, without any of the Olivier-esque thespianism that we were all forced to watch at school:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYiYd9RcK5M

and like the Tennant video above, it all sounds natural, but also kinda conversational and about more than just 'gently caress's sake, should I off myself?' Once the theatres reopen, I'd love to watch an OP production of a Shakespeare play, as niche an audience as that is.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Isn't all the classically trained ac-tor stuff mainly about projecting your voice in the theatre? Surely they'd have had to do that in the Globe or wherever as well

Eh, you can project theatrically without sounding like Laurence Olivier, is the thing, even in your typical proscenium arch theatre. Like, yeah, projecting in a theatre is easier if you speak in an inflection associated with, well, actors in a theatre, but it doesn't prevent you from speaking in a regional dialect or accent as such.

The first example that comes to mind is 1950s kitchen sink dramas like A Taste Of Honey or Look Back In Anger, that were specifically written for and performed with regional accents. Saw a production of A Taste Of Honey in Edinburgh a few years ago, and the Mancunian accent was no more difficult to parse on stage than your stereotypical Shakespearean accent.

It'd probably have been the same in Shakespeare's day – they'd have been projecting in their original accents, and the contemporary audiences would have been perfectly fine with that tbh. I imagine the exaggerated accents were a legacy of the 19th century ruling class appropriating Shakespeare as high art, even though he was nothing of the sort at the time.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Beginning to think that Corbyn should have resigned at the same time as David Cameron, if only because that would have let the Blairites fall on their swords

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

endlessmonotony posted:

Oh you're excommunicated.

Pope here, Miftan is de-excommunicated

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

crispix posted:

oi pope ur poo poo m8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :newlol:

Now THAT is worth excommunication.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Re-communicated. :colbert:

I meant what I said. You are excommunicated for not knowing your Discordian theology.

endlessmonotony posted:

I'm excommunicating you for even talking about crispix after the horrible things he said.

Fair tbh. You are excommunicated, as we Discordians must all stick apart.