Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Mebh posted:

So wait... Beach huts have no heating, no insulation, no hot water, can't be slept in legally. Do they have toilets?

So if you rent one out... You still need to rent a hotel?

And they're worth more than my house in some places...

Why???????

Hey, Brits are already known for travelling to other countries not so they can see that country, but so they can go to a hotel full of other Brits and eat a fry up with a Carling.

Maybe they go to the beach so they can get into their hut away from that horrible sand and water?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I've never seen it and didn't know what it was about and always imagined it as like Eastenders combined with CSI.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Communist Thoughts posted:

Speaking of clean bums I went to get mine poked by a doctor and got a clean bill of bum health

Recommended to other Goons too, just prepare yourself they really rummage around in there

That's just a cheeky pair of fingers. They give me Fentanyl for colonoscopies and it still really hurts. You can feel the camera turning corners.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I know people that think they are voting against Owen Jones, policy is becoming not just irrelevant, but abstract.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Barry Foster posted:

My partner's dad is literally the '? ??' guy whenever she talks about poverty or racism or homeless people or whatever. It's like he short circuits. As far as he's concerned there's him, my partner and her sister, and my partner's mum, and if everyone else died tomorrow it'd be inconvenient but not sad.

Me included, I might add.

There's a lot of these people, more than we think. It's why they project "virtue signalling" onto other people.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

A lot of people might, if you're lucky, balk at initiating violence personally against people, but I think most of them would absolutely kill you without a second thought if they didn't have to look at you while it happened.

Nah, imo if gave them an order from a position of authority, and an air of "protection" for their acts under your authority, most gammons will absolutely become an Auschwitz guard overnight.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Barry Foster posted:

Nah, I definitely do think that it's a much smaller hardcore of people who would personally hurt or kill another person, if only because a lot of people might want to do it but be too cowardly to do it themselves

That's what I mean about "protection", a lot of those cowards will feel a lot braver when given a uniform and a title. What they previously saw as a socially disadvantageous act will suddenly be something that is encouraged as long as they aim at outsiders to their group.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Guavanaut posted:

Sounds like the beliefs popularized by 'On Killing' and 'Killology'.
http://www.journal.forces.gc.ca/vo9/no2/16-engen-eng.asp

It's an optimistic view in a way, but almost certainly overhyped.

Where it becomes dangerous is when you assume that humans never ever want to kill and so you have to aggressively train that into soldiers or police officers just in case they need to. Then you end up with American cops being full of 'warrior cop' horseshit and not conflict deescalation skills.

Wikipedia posted:

Some veterans and historians have cast doubt on Marshall's research methodology.[9] Professor Roger J. Spiller (Deputy Director of the Combat Studies Institute, US Army Command and General Staff College) argues in his 1988 article, "S.L.A. Marshall and the Ratio of Fire" (RUSI Journal, Winter 1988, pages 63–71), that Marshall had not actually conducted the research upon which he based his ratio-of-fire theory. "The 'systematic collection of data' appears to have been an invention."[10] This revelation has called into question the authenticity of some of Marshall's other books and has lent academic weight to doubts about his integrity that had been raised in military circles even decades earlier.[11]

Wikipedia posted:

As a result of Marshall's work, modern military training was modified to attempt to override this instinct, by:

using man-shaped targets instead of bullseye targets in marksmanship practice
practicing and drilling how soldiers would actually fight
dispersing responsibility for the killing throughout the group
displacing responsibility for the killing onto an authority figure, i.e., the commanding officer and the military hierarchy (see the Milgram experiment)

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Never forget that some moron Randian businessman in the USA funded a trilogy of film adaptations of Atlas Shrugged each film with a successively smaller budget and worst critical reception.

e: a quick check on wikipedia reveals $35m went in to the budgets and $9m was made at the box office. Womp womp.

Could be money laundering too.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Algol Star posted:

I find it hilarious how now that younger generations are fully dependant on inheritance to maybe ever own a house there's been a noticeable uptick among people I know's elderly relatives suddenly deciding 'i can't take it with me' and that the only sensible thing to do is to spend all their money and enjoy their last years. Literally a generation that hoarded wealth to the point it broke the economy and then said gently caress it and spaffed it all away on leisure once their descendants were fully dependant.

At least that wealth has been redistributed into the hands of *checks notes* the owners of cruise ships and hotels.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Oops wrong thread.

Surely Starmer could just resize the ring.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Marxism–Shrekism

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

The Question IRL posted:

This also comes from Ancient Greece, where the idea was there had been a Golden/Silver/Bronze Age of humans.

I'm sure other myths also had similar stories, which if you subscribe to the idea of similar myths all over the world being a part of older human culture that might pre-exist life on Earth (real "Chariots of the Gods" stuff) it becomes really interesting.

Weren't hunter-gatherers taller and healthier on average, with more leisure time, than the agrarian civilisations that started writing? That could have formed a shared cultural memory of an idealised and romanticised golden age that was now unattainable. I'm probably talking out of my arse here.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

What's this racial memory stuff? I said shared cultural memory, something like the big flood that is mentioned in many cultures, at first orally.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Nobody gives a poo poo about all the weird weight classes that sprouted during the 80s so Don King could have 15 different world titles - the only light-welterweights anyone's ever heard of are former lightweight champions who couldn't make weight or slowed down too much and were on their way up to middleweight for one last pay packet.

Also there's 4 (?) different organisations now that each have all those weight classes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

The ideal solution, of course, is milk plumbing. I will not be taking further questions at this time.

More efficient to have one plumbing tube per house, and use it for everything, from milk to jellied eels.