Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Zalakwe posted:

Aww, was so hoping for the spill all tale on setting altogether saucier here...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56624437

I guess she had to write that piece - even the BBC in its incarnation as Kuennsberg can't ignore that Johnson is a liar, but it's a very 'on the one hand, but on the other hand'.

The nerve of comparing the vile specimen to Steve Jobs though! (I'm no Jobs fan, and I won't give houseroom to iStuff, but at least Jobs produced things, until Waffle Brain).

This line at the end makes it clear to me where her sympathies lie - excusing his foul behaviour with this.

quote:

But as one of the few people who genuinely knows Boris Johnson once told me, he is a politician who above all, wants to be loved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Reaction to Kuennsberg's article excusing Johnson of all lying:

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/n...xamples-267415/

Ospreys:

That is a sad incident. Round here, in our nice little market town, we're seeing all sorts of acts of random mindless vandalism lately (no reports of attacks on wildlife yet though) - just things dug up or broken.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 11:54 on May 2, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Halisnacks posted:

Is there a consensus on what would constitute a good vs bad result for Labour in the local elections? And if there is a bad result, is Starmer at all vulnerable to a leadership challenge?

Were a leadership challenge to take place, I think he’d have a way harder time seeing off a challenger than Corbyn had with Smith, but I have no sense of whether the PLP would actually trigger such a contest with sufficiently bad results in the local elections.

I'd be surprised. The mega excuses:

(1) Corbyn wrecked labour because of his anti-semitic, racist, terrorist loving, free broadband (despite the party now being far more anti-semitic having booted out leftwing Jewish members, kow-towing to BoD, far more racist having refused to take to task those proven in the leaked report to be racist bullies and all on the right of the party, terrorist loving Starmer - just because murder is committed by people in a state uniform doesn't mean they're not terrorists, free broadband - doesn't seem so daft now does it after over a year of WFH / school from home, many organisations moving to a more permanent use of online conferencing etc instead of carbon-burning flights etc, and lockdowns.

(2) Johnson and the vaccine bounce - maybe a bit

(3) Corbynistas refuse to back Starmer and insist on either voting for other parties or not voting, and it's all their fault despite the other lot refusing to back Corbyn for 5 years. <IMHO> If the Labour party is to become a party worth voting for in the next general election, it needs to be torn down now and forced to face up to the error of its ways to give it 2-3 years to rebuild </IMHO>

(3) It's too cold to vote

(4) It's too hot to vote

(5) Pluto turned retrograde on April 28th - lasting until October:

The long-term, lasting change in the starry sky is now the beginning of Pluto's retrograde, starting on April 28th, 2021 and which lasts until October 7th, 2021. Pluto represents power, abuse of power and profound transformations that we have to go through.

(6) Laura Kuennsberg loves Boris

Every BBC political article ever

are already well and underway.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

PNGYAKUZA posted:

ah sound, definetly going faster than a lot of places but how's the 2nd doses going? I know my mum still has only had her 1st despite being a keyworker.

I've only had my first (61, Wales) in a mass-vaccination centre. My second is due early June I think. - Astra Zeneca
My sister (<60, Wales) had her first at a GP and was given a date for her second immediately (late May I think) - she has health issues. - Astra Zeneca
My niece (29, Wales) has had two now I think (she has lots of health issues). - Pfizer I think
Mum (83, England) has now had both. Pfizer

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Where was it done? If through your GP, contact them, otherwise they should have booked you in for the second one at the same time as the first, so call 119 and speak to them about booking it.

This isn't the case in Wales. GP jabs seem to have given the date for the second at the time you get the first, but mass vacc centres just gave an indication, not a set date.
The phoning up / online booking is England only.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I'm not sure, I was just given a letter telling me my appointment. I was told when I got it that I'd hear when my next shot was, but so far nothing.

Are you in England or Wales or Scotland?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Borrovan posted:

I think it varies by region. I got my first jab (Wales, 30s, healthy) this week, they did give me a fixed date & time. No letter or anything, just got an unexpected text saying I had an appointment in like 3 days. Apparently I'll get another one when it's time for the second. Same for non-vulnerable people I know locally, but vulnerable people got the GP appointments & people out of town got letters.

It made me very sick yesterday & I'm still knackered.
(e: Pfizer)

That's what I meant.

I got an appointment (at quite short notice - a few days - but it was by letter not text) for the first, but haven't had a date for the second, just a general indication that it would be 'about' 12 weeks from the first.
Those who went to GP (vulnerables) instead of mass vax centre (invulnerables ;) ) got given the second appointment when they went for the first.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Bobby Deluxe posted:

"Jacob Rees-Mogg, leader of the House of Commons, wants the package of 25 to 30 bills in the Queen’s Speech to deliver key sections of the Tory manifesto."

There go the workers rights.

"Including a planning bill to clear obstacles to housebuilding and broader development."

More lovely new builds everywhere that are somehow even worse quality than they are now, and an admission that the housing market is basically the one industry we have left.

"Under the bill, all councils in England will have to designate land either for development or preservation."

Developers will now be able to pressurise ailing councils to sell off public land. The home counties will of course designate everything for preservation while northern councils are going to have to sell off any green land they still have.

"The business department has just completed a public consultation seeking views on how the arrangements can allow the government to make strategic interventions in industry."

Again, this'll be the absolute ramping up of things like fire & rehire and zero hours contracts for anyone doing the actual labour if they threaten companies bottom line at all.

"There will also be bills to create a series of freeports: low-tax zones featuring simplified planning rules that ministers have said will serve as hubs for high-value manufacturing and innovation. Sceptics have cited research suggesting they tend to shift jobs and investment around the country, rather than generate new business."

I'm more concerned that they tend to attract massive amounts of organised crime.

"Business secretary Kwasi Kwarteng will meanwhile sponsor a bill to establish a “high risk, high reward” scientific research agency that was the brainchild of Dominic Cummings, Johnson’s former chief adviser."

JOIN ME MR BOND IN THE INNOVATION ZONE

No really, we are probably going to render large chunks of the country uninhabitable because Cummings heard Chernobyl is now cool.

"A procurement bill will give small and medium-sized companies greater opportunities to secure government contracts, and allow the public sector to buy British when the deals are not subject to international trade rules."

Well if there's one thing the pandemic has proved, it's that only good things can happen when the government are allowed to hand out contracts with zero oversight.

"The bill will reverse key aspects of a contentious 2012 shake-up of the NHS which handed greater operational independence to the health service and sharply increased the role of competition."

This is the only one that seems good? If they're reversing the role of competition that's good. It depends what they're moving the greater independence away from though.

"An environment bill, carried over from the previous parliamentary session, will include creation of a new environmental watchdog for England and fresh commitments on biodiversity."

I fully expect it to be a trump style department for companies to bribe so they can do whatever the gently caress they like, filled with climate deniers. Also carried over from the last session means 'we couldn't get it through before but now we have a majority we're forcing it through.'

"Other measures are expected to liberalise rules on gene editing in agriculture, a cause long promoted by Johnson as one of the supposed benefits of Brexit."
Tough on bees, tough on the causes of bees.

"Home secretary Priti Patel has secured a slot in the Queen’s Speech for her strategy on tackling violence against women and girls, which will focus on improving the low and declining conviction rates for some sexual offences, especially rape."

I cannot wait to see what draconian insanity they try to hide behind this, safe in the knowledge that anyone trying to criticise it is going to get brigaded by mumset.

Thanks for this detailed analysis/rebuttal - much appreciated.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Dead Goon posted:

No one notice

?

It's her day job apparently, communications tzar for an animal rights charity. How that squares with the huntin' shootin' fishin' brigade of old colonels and the countryside alliance who support her wretched live-in lover I don't know.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Given they are normally located next to the sea, quite possibly no, for physical rather than legal reasons.

Architect's design: Stromberg's underwater city.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Well it *is* 2021. Just watch out for those jerks from Pod 6.

e: Actually that Sealab episode where they all declare independence from each other and the two English blokes sell them all nukes is probably the most likely outcome of relaxed planning restrictions, freeports, and the rest of these Tory policies.

Selling weapons to both (or more if there are more than 2) sides is a drat fine British Industry and I shan't have you saying otherwise. Ahem.

Number of points in a pentagram or pentangle.
An interesting figure throughout mysticism and religion with various 'good' and 'evil' connotations which I shan't go into here.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 2, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Gonzo McFee posted:

Oh she's a grade A piece of poo poo. She has articles about how she was glad her son got COVID.

A few years ago she wrote about how A-levels these days weren't as good as in the old days and were a piece of piss.
Then one of her kids (daughter I think) didn't do very well in her A-levels and suddenly Pearson was railing against A-levels being - erm I can't remember, but anyway 'hard' or 'tough' or something these days.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

youtube algorithm chat:

It's weird. Yesterday, I watched a short video posted by a friend who has spent lockdown working on his model railway and filming it in action (ahem - yes) anyway, now my youtube suggestions are all recipes! (a) there were no recipes in friend's video (b) I have never watched recipe videos except for Vegan Black Metal Chef and that's only because I'm a saddo who gets a kick out of the Hail Seitan thing.
All I can assume is that my friend and his other friends who also watched the video are keen watchers of recipe videos.

I remember one time, the sidebar on my youtube suggestions being a long streak of Eminem videos punctuated by a fundamentalist islamic sheikh preaching a sermon in arabic. (Will the real Sheikh Shady please stand up!)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

MikeCrotch posted:

Grandad Crispix is going to be posting REMEMBER WHEN THE BIN MEN WERE HARD?!?! on Facebook soon

This is funny too (not the Crispix bit but the hard bin men). Back in the olden days when I were a lass, people were always complaining about the well 'ard binmen leaving rubbish strewn up the path and all over the garden, particularly in December if the Christmas Box (requested in rather menacing tones) wasn't forthcoming or wasn't big enough. The same people now worship at the feet of well 'ard binmen of far-off days.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

TACD posted:

I'd literally never even heard of this show until a few days ago when people started going on about the finale and it turns out it's been going for something like six seasons :confused:

Yeah, me too. I had vaguely heard of it in passing but until the last week had no idea so many people were glued to it.
Probably because I very Very rarely watch BBC.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Surprisingly doom-laden article in the Fail by Corbyn-hating, tory loving Alex Brummer:

quote:

Boom will give way to bust: The post-pandemic bounce will generate real wealth... but it could end bloodily

During the great financial crisis in November 2008, the Queen toured a new building at the London School of Economics and famously asked the professors 'Why did nobody notice it?'

If there were to be a repetition of the meltdown in 2021, no one could say they were not warned.

Latest to join the chorus of worriers is Warren Buffett and his partner Charlie Munger. Buffet warned of the inflation risk from a 'red hot' recovery.

Each of these issues could be evidence that the whole financial system is about to go splat. All are symptoms of overheating and attempts, by those who draw attention to them, of being wise after the event.

But history tells us that it is the unexpected rather than the known unknowns which usually set off a bad chain of events.

The inequalities exaggerated by the pandemic could manifest as social unrest making football fan invasions at Old Trafford look like a tea party.

We also know that bull markets, unfettered debt (encouraged by near zero interest rates) and speculative bubbles, such as that in bitcoin, usually end bloodily. The red alerts are aplenty and there will be a time of retribution. But not just yet.

Source: heil/money/comment/article-9538279/ALEX-BRUMMER-Boom-way-bust.html

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I hope political translators don't use google translate!

Trying to translate 'angst-ridden' for my Slovenian friend which google translate uses the word for 'angry' in Slovenian.
I know it screws up Arabic considerably, but I thought slovenian might be better as it uses vowels in spelling!

used this in the end: filled with deep anxiety, especially about oneself or the nature of existence.

which google translate says is: napolnjena z globoko tesnobo, zlasti glede samega sebe ali narave obstoja.
and it I put the slovenian in, the English comes back the same as I wrote.

I don't recall if anyone on here is Slovenian!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

More like:

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 09:13 on May 4, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Cashew nut harvesting:

There are quite a few articles on it over the past few years, here's one in Metro:

https://metro.co.uk/2019/04/04/women-india-pay-price-cashew-nut-demand-vegan-diets-rise-9110415/

Teetotal

I've been teetotal for over 15 years now as I became allergic to it (or, rather, started experiencing extreme reaction - blood pressure rocketing up, tachycardia etc).

Exceptions: 1 thimble-sized portion pear wine at my dad's 70th in 2015 - made me really ill, an individual pot of rum'n'raisin icecream - but I don't think there was any alcohol actually in it, a baileys-flavoured icecream, and some brandy cream (that was last year, me attempting to see whether I could cope with it).

Seems I can tolerate tiny amounts of alcohol in foodstuff but NOT in liquid form (ie not a glass of wine or lager or whatever). I can also get it on my skin without a problem.

I did go teetotal for a year back in the 80s as a New Year's Resolution (and to stop an old secretary at work forcing spirits down my neck every Friday lunchtime when I was a humble temp - she took not wanting to drink as a personal insult) and did get all the hassle from drinker friends. Saying you're allergic stops all that poo poo.

Sustainable food:

Soylent green.

Bobstar posted:

E: which leads to silliness like not being able to market vegetarian things as "burgers", or (as I believe the dairy industry in Europe is agitating for) not being allowed to sell milk-substitutes in milk-carton-reminiscent packaging, or in the same part of the shop, lest somebody be fooled into thinking it came from a cow.

An oat cow.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 4, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

When I was about 15 I had a boyfriend who worked in the slaughterhouse of Harris pork pies in Wiltshire. He hated it but it was the only work around. He said they stunned the pigs but he could see they were still afraid and he swore the only reason they were stunned was to stop them wriggling around and upsetting the humans.

I tried being a vegetarian but I am too weak of will. Every time I get a bag of mince or whatever from the shops I feel guilty.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Dead Goon posted:

This must be an incredibly silly question and one that has been asked and answered a million times before but, say the world wakes up tomorrow and no one eats beef or diary. What happens to all the cows? The farmers certainly aren't going to feed and care for them out of the kindness of their hearts, are they?

Suspicious extensive outbreak of foot and mouth disease resulting in huge funeral pyres of cows.
Wasn't there some suspicion that farmers were claiming infections of foot & mouth disease and killing their herds so they could get the payouts?

eg https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2001/apr/11/footandmouth.paulbrown

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/may/04/internal-polling-suggests-labour-heading-for-defeat-in-hartlepool-byelection

quote:

The mood among some Labour figures in Hartlepool was “pretty desperate”, sources said. Internal data from six weeks of campaigning shows that just over 40% of previous party supporters have said they will vote for the party again this week. The figure is what is known as a “promise rate” – who people say they will vote for – and is based on the canvassing of more than 10,000 people in the town, most of whom have recently voted Labour.

“If we were knocking on every single door and getting 40%, we could win it, depending on how it splits. But we’re only getting about 40% of people who we think are Labour, so it’s not great,” said one insider.

Labour’s ground campaign has been more visible than the Tories’ – Williams appears on billboards and posters throughout the town centre – but morale among some full-time activists has been subdued in part because many are being let go by the party after polling day.

It is understood that about 90 members of staff are due to leave the party after the elections. Most of those leaving are on two-year trainee contracts but they are the clipboard-carrying organisers that are crucial during election campaigns.

One Labour fixer said that about half of the Hartlepool ground team was due to leave following Thursday’s votes as a cost-saving measure. “It’s not great for morale,” she said. “We would’ve made money at party conference to pay for these elections but of course they were cancelled. We haven’t got the small donors that Corbyn brought and haven’t got the big donors that [Tony] Blair had. We’re trapped between the two worlds.”

Labour said it would not comment on staffing issues or canvassing data.

In the photo accompanying the article neither Starmer nor Williams is wearing a labour rosette.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Lady Demelza posted:

I find Quorn gives me awful tummy ache if I eat it on consecutive days. This is unfortunate as I live alone and often have the same evening meal for 3 days in a row. It took a couple of times to make the connection that Quorn was the cause of the misery. I know that other meat-free stuff isn't fungi-based and isn't likely to cause the same problem, but it makes me wary all the same.

I'm very allergic to Quorn. It can cause anaphylaxis. If you start googling it's scary.
I ate it a couple of times without a problem, the third time I ate it (at an interval of some months so not like I ate it 3 days on the tro), I woke up in the night covered from head to toe in what looked like mosquito bites (hives? I missed the lesson at school when we learned these kind of words) and felt really unwell.
A couple of years ago, my brother brought a quorn shepherd's pie over that he had prepared for a 'dinner party' that was abandoned because someone's kid was rushed to hospital, and mum thought it was meat and piled a load on my plate and fortunately my brother remembered I can't eat it before I did!

A simple article on it. More scientific articles are available if you consult Professor Google.

https://cspinet.org/eating-healthy/ingredients-concern/quorn

I also feel sick after pot noodles otherwise they would be almost my idea of perfect food - no cooking beyond boiling the kettle, portion controlled, long-life, no fuss (I hate food fuss), can live in the cupboards without calling my name all night until they get eaten. Not sure what they have in them that causes that.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 4, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Just come across this guy: Tadhg Hickey.
Seems to have done some good 'allegory' videos on various political situations involving Britain.
This one is "The British Empire, but it's a school reunion in Cork"

I think you can watch it without a facebook account.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=825234614818764

I don't know anything else about him so if the Grey Beards ITT advise me he's a good guy or a melt or something, I shan't be at all surprised.
The couple of vids i watched seem good though.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Failed Imagineer posted:

https://twitter.com/cruising_utopia/status/1389586774276587524?s=19

What's going on here then? Maybe an electoral opportunity for the LibDems?

A bit late to the party, and someone might have beaten me to it, I'm 5 pages behind, but there's another one just a bit further East (300m or so).
I wonder if it's the ancient course of the river? Though a couple of the 'edges' look a bit too sykes picot.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...152!4d-3.231504

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Voted:

Local Senedd rep: Welsh labour - I know her, she's a very good egg

Police Commissioner (2 votes): (1) Labour (2) Plaid - I know nothing about any of the candidates (chucking all the election leaflets in the recycling unread probably didn't help but I don't recall any coming through for that. All the rest of the parties on the list were tory or fasc-adjacent variations on 'independent' and 'shoot brown people'.

Regional Senedd rep: Britain's Communist Party - don't @ me I have no idea who they are or what they stand for. Did for bantz. (No idea who any of the others are either.)

Polling station report:

No queue, 3 people came in and out while I was there. The 'used pencil' box (covid precautions - everyone got a new pencil) had just 5 pencils in it. Now either there was a huge rush this morning and they already filled one used pencil box, or there wasn't and hardly anyone has voted.

16-18 can vote in Senedd:

My polling station is right by the local comprehensive school so I was just wondering how many of the 16-18s will bother to vote for senedd and what impact that might have. No excuse of time/distance for them not voting* - the polling station is just a minute away from the comp and on the direct route between the comp and the pedestrian underpass where all the kids gather to smoke their cancer sticks (why do kids still think smoking makes them look 'big'? rhetorical question.)

*I mean they may have other good reasons for not voting, but time/distance can't be one of them round here except for those that live further afield than the local town centre.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 6, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've still yet to see a single leaflet from Labour for either GLA or Mayoral elections. Two from the Tories, one novella from the piss-drinker, one from the weirdo Rahman Rump telling me that I need to vote to keep a directly elected Tower Hamlets mayor (there's a referendum going on for that as well as the election). What's noticeable (as I'm at home to see it) is that all of the leaflets that have been delivered have been by the same guys who do the pizza leaflets and estate agent PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD TELL US YOU HAVE ROOMS TO RENT solicitations. It's almost as though they local Labour party lack either the cash to pay a fiver per hundred leaflets or the volunteers to deliver them for free.

Round our way, I gather from a sly read of a closed local LP group which I'm a silent member of, there was some sort of dispute between whoever was being paid to deliver leaflets and their actual delivery. So it seems to me that CLPs have not had sufficient volunteers to distribute leaflets. I know a couple of corbynistas I have spoken to and who are still hanging on by a thread to labour party membership and who have previously done literally hundreds of hours of leafleting, stall staffing, canvassing etc, are not lifting a finger to help this time round - particularly as two very active local members were suspended for 'anti-semitism' for drawing up a motion supported by MANY in the local party inquiring as to why that Israeli guy was appointed social media monitor when surely in order to get work permits etc it has to be proven that there is no UK citizen capable of doing the job. (One of the suspendees quit in disgust at being suspended for anti-semitism when she is blatantly NOT, the other is still fighting it. A letter of support for the two persons signed by many long-standing members of the local party including anti-corbyns and a former MP of the blairite tendency was sent to HQ and no response as far as I know)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 6, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Soylent Yellow posted:

Voted Plaid in the local, Communist in the regional. If you're giving the middle finger to the establishment, you may as well go big or go home. Plus, it was childishly funny.

Not many names crossed off the list by 6.30pm. I'm in a rural area where the result is a foregone conclusion. I've seen virtually no campaigning, and very few people seem bothered about the whole thing.

Gonna be funny if the Communist gets in to the regional with the votes of us pissed off lefties - that's what I voted (and why) for the regional :redhammer: :ussr:

ed: I thought Jayda Fransen was in jail? (I mean obviously she's not if she's yelling at Stugeron).

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 6, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

For those of you who did (or didn't) take your canine companions to the polling station, here's a twitter hashtag for you:

https://twitter.com/hashtag/DogsAtPollingStations

(NB it's a hashtag, not a tweet (lots of tweets with that tag) so it's not a 'disappeared' tweet.)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

I have a distant relative called shona, I think, so that one isn't odd to me.

At least it's pronounced as it's spelled, which is more than can be said for quite a lot of english.

It's mostly Scottish isn't it?

But this is a bit Bollywood:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9lqbhVVTck

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://twitter.com/BeckettUnite/status/1390415318636535809?s=20

which is odd because:

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1386777301661143045?s=20

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 6, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I wonder what the turnout was?

My non-deeply analysed reflection on previous elections at all levels is when UKIP or KIPalikes fail to stand, their support goes approx 2/3 to tories and 1/3 to Labour.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

.nm

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 11:10 on May 7, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

forkboy84 posted:

Sometimes you have to sit back and really revel in the idea of Labour losing a by-election to an incumbent government of 11 years. That takes skill

Are WE the Steven Kinnocks?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isr0F3bLA-M

2 mins in to that vid when the exit poll comes in - hadn't registered the angry face of the woman in the blue shirt in front of Kinnock before.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 7, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Gonzo McFee posted:

Lmao Rosie Duffield has locked her account after spending all day posting poo poo about how people kept coming up to her to say how glad they were Corbyn was gone.

Penny is dropping for a lot of these cunts that their phony baloney jobs are at risk without the people Corbyn brought to the table.

She really pissed me off. She only scraped in as an MP because of the hard work Corbyn supporters. (Let alone what she has revealed about her views since.)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://twitter.com/Ips_cali/status/1390449714789687298?s=20

https://twitter.com/Marnerbanana/status/1390450846228520965?s=20

https://twitter.com/ushistorytutor/status/1390449822440755202?s=20

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Meanwhile in other news:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/fire-east-london-tower-block-poplar-b1843684.html

quote:

Poplar fire: Blaze breaks out at 19-storey tower block ‘covered in Grenfell-type cladding’

Around 125 firefighters and 20 fire engines are tackling a blaze at a 19-storey block of flats in east London.

Parts of the eighth, ninth and 10th floors are alight at New Providence Wharf on Fairmount Avenue in Poplar, the London Fire Brigade said.

Firefighters have been on the scene since around 9am.

The residential block is thought to be covered with the same type of cladding used on Grenfell Tower.

etc

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I don't get why 'they' (rightists) keep banging on about Keefy getting rid of Momentum.
Momentum did bugger all during these campaigns from what I've seen and can't possibly be blamed for flag-shagging by labour going down like a lead balloon? Or am I wrong?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

happyhippy posted:

As long as we are not swamped by Death Metal bands.
Wandering around our forests, stealing our album covers.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Death metal about being stuck on one of the Highlands because of rising sea levels does seem very relatable.

Ode to Kieth using a Finnish metal band (a bit much keyboard for death) - just change Winter to May

I do own the album from which this is taken :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8o3oAt9Db8

cover version (slightly more death vocals)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua0gnihutZ0

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

WhatEvil posted:

As disheartening as it is to see Labour reduced to this from what it could have been under Corbyn, at least today we're getting some confirmation that we're not all collectively in some insane echo chamber huffing our own farts, and that we can actually see things at least somewhat as they really are.

If Keith had hosed the Tories and made huge gains I'd be looking at myself pretty hard in the mirror, realising that I'd got it badly wrong. Of course we can count on precisely zero reflection from all the media cretins who've been telling us that we need a forensic adult like Keith and that's what'll really win voters. I've seen journos and quotes from senior Labour people, and of course Keith himself all essentially saying "We haven't gone hard enough! We need to double down!" rather than "Clearly the changes we've made are in the wrong direction" which any sane person would conclude.

Yep. The Labour Right need to be roundly crushed underfoot by the sandalled feet of the colossus .. erm... so Labour can be reborn.
I'm not sorry.
And now is the time to do it, 2-3 years before a general election.
Though I think you're right, they won't learn any lessons.

Hear these words villifiers and pretenders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZjuzPU9UE4

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 7, 2021