Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

A naked dude with a poo poo eating smile, and two naked dudes hugging, are more photogenic, natural, and more relatable than any Keir picture to date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

A tiny cage covered in poo poo is absolutely enough evidence to at least suspect abuse. Let the RSPCA know, imo.

Yeah.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/what-you-suspect-animal-being-12057309

Has a check list of what you will be asked.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

crispix posted:

of all the shite that's happened in this piss country this last decade, people come out and do proper protesting over some football politics bollocks

And its to demand that one set of billionaires gets replaced with another set.
Would be funny to see the Glaziers get replaced by some dodgy as gently caress Russian oligarch though.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Lady Demelza posted:

I am so confused by what day it is. The weekend was longer, bin day is wrong, there's a real possibility I'll forget to vote on Thusday. Not that it matters, you could put a blue rosette on a dead wasp and it would win.

Meat substitutes have come on in leaps and bounds thanks to the vegan fad, after years of being an afterthought. That being said, my vegan sibling booked a table at a pub having specifically asked if they had a vegan option. The 'vegan roast' was potato with other potato, and a tiny portion of brocolli, but no other veg because it wasn't vegan. It felt like spite because the chef didn't like vegan food. I don't miss meat, but I do sometimes see what looks like a lovely recipe but want a protein componant and cheese/mushroom/legumes aren't appropriate.

I've been vegetarian since 1994 roughly, and Im used to waiting 20 extra minutes for the 'vegetarian' option being defrosted and microwaved in places like pubs or such.
It went actually in my favor for my brothers wedding. The main course was meat or meat, and only like three of us opted for the veggie/vegan option, which we had to wait extra for as usual.
But they definitely spent more love making it as it was the most delicious thing I had. I shared it with those around me and they preferred my meal than their dry chicken and ham mass made meal.
It was a mushroom risotto in a green pasta , pea, and cheese, base.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Quorn has an awful habit of going from edible to dried out husk wall filler if cooked milliseconds too long.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

peanut- posted:

Is this guy actually big or is Rishi just really tiny

https://twitter.com/latgalia/status/1390226452050759680?s=20

Stand back Rishi, I got to tory power stance for the cameras.
Why no, it doesn't make me look like a giant baby.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

jaete posted:

So did France just decide that they want Boris Johnson to win these local elections even harder than he otherwise would have?

Or did the tories somehow manage to time this Jersey bullshit perfectly, like they set some contract expiry/renewal there to two days before the elections? Or what's going on here

From the BBC article on it, hinting it was UK instigated:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-57003069

quote:

The boats are protesting against new fishing rules - introduced last week by the Jersey government under the UK-EU Trade and Cooperation Agreement (TCA) - which require French boats to show they have a history of fishing in Jersey's waters. But it has been claimed additional requirements were added without notice.

French authorities say "new technical measures" had not been communicated to the EU, rendering them "null and void".

Why do you need a history of fishing there to fish, and how it is proven, cant find anything more.
It looks like an intentional spanner in the works, but doubt it was timed for the elections.
Boris cant bluff a free bedroom, gently caress trying to do House of Cards type poo poo.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

ReelBigLizard posted:

So, it was UK instigated, but not in the way you think.

The fishing rights and agreements between the islands and the UK/EU were part of the wider EU fishing rights legislation.

Brexit hosed all that legislation off.

The islands have now been left on their own to negotiate new agreements with the French. This is not an unpopular situation for us to be in as it means the UK can't try and use our rights as a political pawn.

Jersey drew up a new license scheme and as part of it they didn't want the entire French fishing armada declaring open day on their waters. So the initial licenses were on the provision that you were already fishing here before brexit anyway.

The licenses have just come into effect and in addition to that requirement Jersey have said you need to keep your transponder on in their waters so they can verify that it's a licensed boat in their waters. It looks like* Jersey did not communicate that this was a requirement and that's what the Fishermen are kicking off about.

Guernsey is also sorting it's licenses out but no idea if the French will kick off about that or not.

*it's unclear to me as I'm not an expert in fishing rights or Jersey politics but if I were a betting man I would be putting all my chips on Jersey Government Incompetence

Thanks for this.
Why cant news articles give details like this.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Extremely bad news that we *still* don't have quarantine or test trace and isolate sorted out so the Indian variant is just ripping through care homes,

7 cases of Indian Variant just announced in Northern Ireland too.
Thanks for keeping the flights open two weeks too late Boris.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Is Scotland free to join the Kalmar Union yet?

As long as we are not swamped by Death Metal bands.
Wandering around our forests, stealing our album covers.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

This Matrix 4 Agent Smith looks a bit weird.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Wonder how Farage is going to explain how UKIPers are now Greens.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Sure they didn't accidentally autocorrect Covid from Corbyn?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Jippa posted:

I had my covid shot this morning. I have stocked up on tins of soup and am waiting. :stare:

Only one? Or need second. As usually the second one is when most have the bad reactions.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

crispix posted:

lol they thought it would be that easy didn't they

just take a few pictures pointing at things and doing all things that those people who do JOBS do

Kier forgot the whippets and flat caps.
Such an amateur mistake.

And getting 2nd Pfzzzzier in 2 weeks. I expect to be curled up in a ball slightly mewing after it.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Unkempt posted:

Had my second Pfizer two weeks ago and now I've got a massive headache and feel like crap.
That might be the result of going to the pub yesterday and getting shitfaced for the first time in 14 months though.

Needs more empirical evidence.
First needs a control group of 6 cans at home.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Noxville posted:

I refuse to believe Starmer is nobbing his coworker, it’s too normal and human and relatable

Maybe that was his pointing was about.
He wasn't, he was going 'smell my finger!'.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Pesky Splinter posted:

Torn between the breakdown the Tories had when May was in charge, on this ongoing trainwreck as being the funniest.

The former was good in seeing the Tories eat poo poo, but this is enjoyable in sheer spite.

Maybe beaten by the DUP in the upcoming weeks.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Haven't laughed as much in a long time, thanks.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

The face when you can't hold pints or point at things any more.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Probably already pasted in one of the UK threads here, but just saw it on imgur:

https://imgur.com/gallery/ztyO5Lj

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
He's waiting to hear what Boris would do in the same position.
Then do it.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Pistol_Pete posted:

I'm starting to think a lot of Labour figures really loving hate Starmer but had been discretely keeping their powder dry before now.

For sure.
Wasn't too long ago you had people football chanting your leader's name all over the place and doing average person things like sitting down in train.
Now you have a guy with a permanent confused expression, constantly wearing out of place italian mobster suits, and who only appears in stock photo like campaign pictures.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Guavanaut posted:

Can't stand that Nicola Sturgeon she wants to put Scotland on a different country :mad:

Not sure if Carlisle, and Cork being so close together there would create an infinite war or a super breed of invincible humans.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 13:16 on May 10, 2021

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
He can't even sit at a loving table normally.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Always suspected Michael Higgins' dog being a brit plant.
Always trying to disrupt irish democracy by looking for belly rubs.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

The Question IRL posted:

My understanding of the Omagh bombing (as summed up by the Judge in a court case) was essentially that the plan was for a Car Bomb to be driven and parked outside the court house in Omagh for Saturday afternoon.

The problem was when the guy tried to do this, somebody had already parked their car there and the car bomb got parked down the street and not at the designated spot.
Then the command section calls in the warning with the registered code word, but its based on the car being in court house not the second place in down town Omagh.

As soon as the authorities get the warning, they start moving people away from the courthousr, unaware that they are funneling people towards where the actual car bomb is in downtown.

A horrible situation and I'm not justifying what happened, but I think it's an example that sometimes tiny real world things (like not being able to get a parking space) can have huge unintended consequences.

Not full story. I am from just outside Omagh, if it was 20 minutes later I would have been there, if it was 20 minutes earlier my brother would have been in the area.
First a geography lesson about Omagh. The court is at the top of High Street. This continues down a hill, up a hill, to traffic lights. This then still continues but is now Market Street.
Market street goes down the hill, to another set of traffic lights.

The big grey building at the back is the Court House.
The set of traffic lights up the hill is where High Street ends and Market Street begins.
Where the cops are standing in the pic are the second set of traffic lights.

So the IRA fuckwits park the car at the end of Market Street, and phone it in saying its on High Street. Parked it at the wrong set of traffic lights basically.

The side ways away from the streets is not great to evacuate people, so they tell everyone to go down the Market Street, where they had cordoned it off.
The hill between them and where they thought the car bomb was would protect them. They thought it was parked around where the pointy roof place is in middle of the pic.
But they didn't know it was parked 10m beside them.

Not the police's fault, just the dumb chuckie farmer bastards that didn't know the area.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

crispix posted:

of course in the new GB legislation you'll likely need a blue passport and to recite the full national anthem and to name every monarch since aethelred the unready

But then the crony contract will result in it being half assed so it will be recite at least two Only Fools and Horses quotes, and name four 1966 World Cup England team members.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Edwin Poots is new DUP leader.
Sync back your watches 40 years.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Gonna assume that it's not good news that Johnson's almost half an hour late for this covid briefing. Also I'm just going to assume the announcement will be exactly the same as the Scottish one and that existing restrictions will remain in place for at least another couple of weeks.

Calling it now.
If its Boris, there will be some easing restrictions.
If its not Boris, there will be no easing and will be delayed.

EdIt: drat.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 14, 2021

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Some of my favourite pubs are around Shoreditch. The real trick, as with any area, is to avoid any pub that someone with a haircut says is good.

I get all my Shoreditch information from Nathan Barley.
Total Mexico.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

The world we could have:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JITpUxtji4s

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Morningwoodpecker posted:

Buy a humane trap and don't kill them, exile them instead.

I used one of these to expel my guest in my last house.
Four storey house, Im at the top, no attic, no attached houses, so not sure how the little bugger got up into my room.
Laid the trap with chocolate peanut butter, caught him, and walked a mile away and let him out in a ditch.
When I was moving out, I found his 'home', he had eaten into my foam mattress and created a little burrow lined with chewed up paper.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Tesseraction posted:

At uni once I opened the cupboard the bread is stored in and pulled it by the bag only to find it was just the crust hollowed out from the back of the cupboard by a motherfucking mouse who was still there and looking at me with what felt like a hint of smugness before fleeing.

Reminds me of when I was a waiter.
Talking to a fellow worker and walking backwards into one of our food storage cupboards I saw his eyes widen in shock and I felt a CRUNCH beneath my shoe.
He said he saw the mouse look at him from a lower shelf, then shot under my shoe.
Poor wee bugger

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
You can get plugs that emit high pitched noises to gently caress off mice and rats.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
My friend's family boil their eggs in a kettle when they make the tea/coffee.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

stev posted:

This sounds sensible and efficient. As long as the kettle has a good filter.

mediaphage posted:

i do like a cuppa with just a hint of cloacal gel

I only found out when there was white thin streaks in my coffee when I was there.
Turned out to be a cracked egg that leaked.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Of no particular relevance:
I'm on a training course this week, every evening on zoom for an hour. Yesterday and today so far the trainer has waffled on about herself, her son's girlfriend seems to ring the door bell exactly 5 mins after it starts every time, spends 10 mins reading all the comments in the chat which are 'hello everybody, I'm Jae from UK' type stuff.
Yesterday she waffled on for half an hour, we're now 16 minutes into this and she is still waffling on about herself.
Grrr.
I can't check out from this as it is a legal thing I have to do.

Ask if its ok to record it so you can go back for anything you missed, then ask will there be any way to rate the trainer after the course.
If she doesn't take the hint here, just give the vids as feedback.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

keep punching joe posted:

Here's my hot take, belief in elfs and goblins comes from racial memory of interactions with other extinct human species, I have nothing to back this up and no research.

I've always liked how people would go 'there's a fairy ring up there on that hill' not realizing that was where their great-great-great-grandparents probably lived and its the remains of their house overgrown.
Every few hundred a new set of people going 'That strange shape of land nearby? Thats where the loving magic beasties and poo poo live!' to where they themselves used to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Kangaroo meat to be main staple in the UK by 2025.