Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Conservative voters: If you can’t afford to have kids, don’t have kids

Also conservative voters: Tory donors approached to pay for Boris Johnson’s nanny and personal trainer, reports say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

The Perfect Element posted:

Is anyone able to advise on a decent bike for me to buy via my works cycle to work scheme? I don't want anything fancy at all, just something I can go to the shops on, with maybe the occasional longer distance country ride. Comfy and reliable is what I'm after.

Sorry if this is the wrong place, it's just that the UKMT hive mind knows everything.

How much are you willing to spend (as in real cost to you - I'm willing to have XX less money in my bank account), and what tax rate are you on?

keep punching joe posted:

If your budget is limited then just go for the lightest you can get for the cash you have, would advise something steel framed though as it will last forever if you look after it. For City commuting singlespeed is fine and cheapest to maintain (less to go wrong / easier to clean).

Factor in buying a new saddle because any cheap bike is going to come with absolutely shite one (same with tyres, you can save longterm by shelling out for some schwalbe marathons which are pretty much impervious to punctures).

This is very good advice, although I have a bad personal experience with Marathons - in that they're amazing, but when you get a tiny, tiny, tiny slither of glass in them that you really can't find and you think it's absolutely gone, they can cost you a whack in replacement tubes over a couple of weeks.

They're great though.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Are there other industries where a round of applause is expected for a job well done? Asking for a friend.

and there's no way i'm the first to make that joke.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Very similar energy to the whole 'participation trophies' thing, another chud talking point they get very smug and self satisfied about.

I was listening to a podcast the other day (I can't recall which), and they were talking about participation trophies.

The first recorded use of the phrase was almost 100 years ago - Feb 1922. https://newspaperarchive.com/sports-clipping-feb-08-1922-1129748/

And the funny thing about Laurence Fox - he wasn't even a failed, or a bad actor. He was perfectly decent, he just chose to lash himself to this bizarre flagpole. And now his acting career is, we have to assume, over.

Red Oktober fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 5, 2021

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Guavanaut posted:

Midland Mainline IRA hijacked trains and delayed them for an hour without telling anyone.

Presumably because it meant the trains got in earlier than people were expecting. GG, IRA.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Mega Comrade posted:

I wrote to my MP (tory) about it and got the standard waffle about 'voter fraud' back. She didn't even acknowledge my concerns about minority voter suppression.

She's a Tory MP, she probably didn't even realise it was a concern, just you were listing the good reasons for it.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Aidan_702 posted:

I will only be inheriting debt, mother already spent the money my grandmother left for the family (and me) on fags and booze. Trying to think what I should change my name to when the time comes

The good news is that you can't inherit debt, assuming you're not co-signed on anything. It'll be paid out of an estate, so worst case is you don't inherit anything.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Trickjaw posted:

Here's a nasty little scam. I know most of you beautiful speculums are already snapped up, but some of us have to use dating sites. There has been honestly about 15 people who have tried this on me on Grindr (I know), but if its not someone with an onlyfans channel, you get asked if you have registered on the ghrlgbt site, to prove you are not an abusive rapist, accompanied by suitably gruesome images of the person so beaten they are naturally hard to recognise.

I have two problems, because scammers will scam, but don't pretend to be representing human rights. Also, you have to provide a card. Like monsters don't have a credit rating.

I wouldn't ever have a problem proving I'm not a berserk beast, but, it really makes me mad that its representing abuse as a selling point.

https://www.siliconrepublic.com/enterprise/grindr-messaging-scam-ireland

Woah, the website in that link looks incredibly legit.

I can absolutely see why people would pay €2 to sign up on that. and then get hit for 50 more.

Clearly scammers websites have moved on an awful lot in the last few years.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

ThomasPaine posted:

Otoh it is scientifically impossible to be sad while listening to all star. You just can't do it.

Man, that facial hair is.... something.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Tesseraction posted:

Having had a "proper job" in their eyes before hitting the dole has shown me the way that it's two tier.

Out of uni: "you have not applied for your mandatory weekly 15 jobs. this is your last warning"

Today, just now: "oh don't worry about that you're clearly looking for real, heck, I'd hire you!!"

I've posted about this in multiple iterations of the thread, but having an advisor who sees you as honestly trying (and probably "the right sort") makes a huge difference. On the couple of instances she was out of the office on holiday I had an absolute by-the-books excuse of a human who would gleefully threaten a sanction whenever I suggested, for instance, that I would probably be wasting my time in applying for the £140k Director role at HSBC just because I had worked in a financial services company in the past.

So I applied, and now I'm earning £140k at HSBC!

No, sorry, I mean 'So I applied, and heard nothing, for obvious reasons'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I’m back from Edinburgh for the week, where I got engaged! Now time to make some “engagement beer” for the celebrations!

I’m ridiculously happy!