Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Apparently the provincial government told the courts to just toss all covid fines so the courts wouldn't get tied up

which is hilarious because apparently it's okay to do that to our hospitals :laffo: Anyway they declared today that won't happen any more and they doubled the fine amount. Dumb motherfuckers.

They also are opening up vaccinations to everyone over 12 by the 10th. loving finally, my husband and the majority of my social circles are now able to get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Another Bill posted:

Jesus what's the age of majority in your province?

It's for tHe EcONoMy, if schools are closed, parents need to be home/monitor them during WFH hours, so that's fewer minutes spent working! They're being unproductive/wasting company time!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

The thing that pissed me off the most about the whole "just a flu" thing is I grew up with this guy who is a covid denier, he kept arguing that point on social media, even after his sister was put in an induced coma to save her life during H1N1.

When that was happening, I was highly prone to lung infections from colds, like 6 weeks sick, barely being able to breathe, sometimes would give me costochondritis. When she was hospitalized, her family and my family were harassing me that I had to come visit, it would be the last time I might see her, and I desperately tried to explain that I'm trying as hard as I can to avoid catching it too, because if I do, I'll end up just like her, or I'll straight up die. I refused to go hang out in the hospital with a confirmed case and sitting with all these people touching her, then themselves, then each other.

She survived and was woken up after about a week. I explained to her why I didn't come see her, and she totally understood. But the fact her brother just straight up ignored what happened so he could own some liberal sheep on Facebook just made me so angry.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

They didn't have bandaids where I got my shot lol

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Developing chronic illness from what's generally a short-lived illness is nothing new, but before covid anyone who went through anything like that was deemed crazy or a liar or a hypochondriac. I hate that so many people are going through what many others already do, I'm one of them and it loving sucks, but maybe hopefully now other cases of mysterious chronic illness after infection might be taken a little more seriously? It would be nice to be believed instead of dismissed. Maybe doctors will finally shut the gently caress up about post-treatment Lyme syndrome or people who ended up in wheelchairs after getting the flu as being a bunch of idiots and wimps and fakers. Actually they probably won't, but a person can dream I suppose.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Husband still hasn't been able to book his first shot, and they've opened bookings for everyone over 12 now, so his spot in line to access the booking site is nearly 90,000th. That is a bit frustrating but also fantastic that so many under 40s are getting vaccinated. This waiting to book hasn't happened since the very first round for elderly and severely ill.

His vaccine reluctant co-workers are trying to really milk the paid time off, they're trying to book the entire day off for a one hour wait at a clinic, because they still get 3 hours of pay. They're all a bunch of lazy assholes though, so it's not a surprise.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Riptor posted:

oh gently caress off they're entitled to it

They make 90 grand a year spending half their shift on smoke breaks or watching YouTube and leaves my husband alone at the counter all day and email him for help multiple times a day when he's on vacation with me but okay

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I got my first shot in my non-dominant arm and realized that night it was a big mistake, because that's the side I sleep on. Not doing that again.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Out daily confirmed cases dropped from over 2000 a couple weeks ago to mid-700s now after closing schools, restaurants, gyms, and salons again. Funny how that keeps working.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

https://twitter.com/AHS_media/status/1395141091154821120?s=19

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I had the AZ shot and my arm was sore for a week

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Most of the angry hosers were just conservatives looking for another excuse to whine about Trudeau.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

A few weeks ago we were vying for top spot of worst Covid rates in North America, now we expect to be completely open by July. Our rates have dropped dramatically, from over 2000 cases a day to around 400, and we're at about 50% of the population vaccinated with their first shot, but we also have a lot of people in hospital and a half dozen deaths a day still. But July is Calgary Stampede, so dkfkgkglsaajklllgkfkdk *fart*

I do actually feel hope this things are actually getting better now, but I'm concerned they'll push too hard too soon for "normal". The thresholds for reopening are pretty reasonable for once, but there's always the chance they'll change their minds on what's safe to make themselves look good in the eyes of their voter base, especially with other political issues going on right now.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Desperado Bones posted:

Seems I might be able to get the vaccine next month!!! :kingsley::siren:holyshitthankgod:siren::kingsley:

I'll let you know if my stupid immune system decides to knock me out.

Hopefully not too badly! Mine was bad enough I convinced my husband he had to get his dose on a Friday so he wouldn't be suffering at work if his symptoms were anywhere close to mine, but he only felt a bit more tired than normal. Lucky jerk.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

That makes it sliiiiiiiiiiiiiightly more difficult to push the covid threat to the back of my mind. :v:

I get where you're coming from, and if it helps at all, it was just over a month ago that almost no one under 55 was able to get vaccinated in my province, then they halted AZ availability, then we went to the second highest infection rate in North America. Now 63% of the population over the age of 12 has their first shot and infection rates have dropped by a factor of ten. You're going through what we went through one to two months ago. I hope it gets better for you soon too :glomp:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Apparently Canadians will be allowed to mix and match our vaccines, those of us who had the AZ shot first can get either AZ, Moderna, or Pfizer, or if you got Moderna first you can get Pfizer second.

We reopened patios and salons today in my province, so we'll see how that goes. The premier thinks we'll be fully reopen by July, but again, he's pushing it that hard mostly so Stampede can run.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I can get my second shot as soon as June 28 :toot: and can get whatever's in stock

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

That's why I'm signing up for an mRNA for my second. If it works better, I'm doing it.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Looks like we're opening up indoor dining with some limitations this week, so let's see how well 67% with one shot works. Last time we did that was before vaccinations for the general public, and numbers skyrocketed, it was a vertical line on the graph lol

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

That's infuriating. We may have a right-wing corporate crony neolib for a premier who made a lot of horrible decisions and was happy to sacrifice a certain amount of old people for the economy, but at least he was mostly honest about it.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Fuller9x posted:

Alberta just lifted the 2nd shot delay this evening, so I'm booked for my second shot this Sunday. Anyone here done the Astrazeneca / Pfizer mix yet, any symptoms apart from severe magnetism and rampant zombieism?

Heck yeah, I'm getting mine Monday! I requested Pfizer for round 2 as well. If no one else in the thread has done it yet, I guess we'll be the ones reporting in.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Got Pfizer for my second shot, had AZ first. It was only an hour ago and I'm already starting to feel like crap. Maybe if I get really bad again by morning I can convince my husband to take a sick day and baby me, otherwise I'm going to be alone for like 10 hours. Last time I at least had someone in the house with me while I languished from fever and aches.

Speaking of, I once had a really brutal fever, completely woozy and unable to function. Didn't manage to take my temperature because I was in a total daze. A couple days later I felt pretty great comparatively but not 100% right, so I took my temp then and it was 102. I wish I knew how bad it actually got.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The coronavirus fever was so loving weird for me. It hit super hard and fast but would be gone in the morning, only to ramp back up to 103.5 at like 10-11 am. I could tell where my fever was by symptoms, too.

I used to get really bad lung infections after catching colds, I'd be sick for weeks. They were always the same. Felt fine after sleep, then being active would utterly destroy me and I'd be so so so sick and fevery in the afternoons. Then the next morning I'd be like "maybe I'm finally getting better?" Lmao NOPE.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Canada doesn't have much to be proud of right now, but at least I won't get murdered in a store over a little piece of cloth.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Oooh you just jinxed yourself

Probably. I am in Alberta.

My immune system is ridiculous and just freaks out when I get shots. I'm now a number of hours into my Pfizer shot and it's like it took my regular pain levels and amplified them. Chronic pain places have gone up a ton, and everywhere that doesn't normally hurt now does. I've been woozy and dizzy all evening, my brain feels like Jello. Hard to move. I'm just starting to feel feverish now. I can't math. I got it at 4:30pm and its now 1 am. Whatever that is. The arm soreness is much worse with this one than AZ, but it might just be my stupid body overreacting to that too just like it does to loving everything.

Maybe since it started sooner than AZ, it will be over sooner too. Here's hoping I guess.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Yeah mine feels just like a tetanus shot. And it's pissing me off. I'm proud of how tough I normally am but vaccines absolutely kick my rear end

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

If I'm wrong, I'll accept being corrected because I'm still delirious and seriously lacking sleep, but it seems everyone who has had at least one shot so far in Alberta qualifies for our lottery. I've had two so I think I'm entered in all 3 one million dollar giveaways this summer. I didn't need any bribing, but I'll take the money, heck yeah :homebrew:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Side effects for Pfizer were equally bad for me as AZ, and ended about the same time. So day 2 after shot 2 and I feel good!

I likened my immune system to having an anxiety disorder, one little thing happens and it panics and overreacts. Flu shots often hit me hard too.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Hey, if we're all gonna have paranoid freakouts, I seem to have developed a subclavian aneurysm since I got my shot 2 days ago. Probably 100% unrelated but it's really important to think the worst of everything right now according to this thread, so RIP my left arm, I wish you didn't get amputated in the near future. Thanks for nothing, Covid vaccines!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Realistically, because it was Pfizer, it's probably a coincidence with this aneurysm. I've had issues with the left shoulder sitting incorrectly and dislocating, plus a lot of tight muscles and tendons in the area, so it's kind of not a surprise.

Whatever happens, I'm super loving grateful I'm fully vaxxed now because we don't exactly have a good track record here of keeping hospitals safe, so if I do end up in one, I should be okay even if there's an ongoing outbreak. I've heard of several families who all had to isolate at some point because someone went to get a surgery and brought Covid back with them.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

gay picnic defence posted:

Yeah but try telling boomers they can’t have something…

My friend works at a vaccine booking call center and she had boomers refuse to make appointments if the pharmacy even offered AZ. They wanted to make sure no one "accidentally" gave them anything but Pfizer and demanded she find them a spot at a Pfizer only location, which didn't exist unless they temporarily ran out of supply. She was losing her loving mind having to deal with them.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Feeling confident enough to start taking the bus again. They're usually not very full which has been nice.

Also my neck thing is most likely a plugged lymph node or some kind of cyst. I'm getting an ultrasound on it. I can definitely feel a sizeable and kind of hard lump inside now, which a swollen artery would not do so yay for that. The tissue around is still swollen and weirdly soft, which is kind of annoying, and it still hurts a lot but otherwise, no real worries.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Castaign posted:

Is this the potential aneurysm you mentioned? If so, that's awesome news, and I'm super happy for you! If not, it's still good news, and I'm still very happy for you.

Yes! If my immune system freaked out after my second shot and made the lymph node swell up too much, it wouldn't surprise me. I get a billion little health quirks like that all the time. But it just feels inevitable that something really bad will happen someday, and each new thing becomes more and more panic-worthy as I march through the years and get old.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

We're planning on lifting all our restrictions so the city can party and drink and gently caress for a week right as the Delta variant is taking off. This should be interesting.

The province is a bit over 30% fully vaxxed, 71% have had their first dose. I feel like we're going to end up a case study.

I never like Stampede anyway so I'm not ripping to go and join them even as a fully vaxxed person. If poo poo goes down, I'll at least feel comfort in not contributing to it.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Yep. We're currently at 50-60 cases per day, roughly 5000 tests done. It was very recently we surpassed 2000 cases a day. Things practically changed overnight. Vaccines work.

I like this graph, because it shows how clearly the restrictions worked, but also the difference made by our huge vaccine push for the general population at the end of April.

Points 3 and 7 were effectively the same level of restriction lifting. Without vaccines it started spreading again immediately, second time around cases were dropping.

I still think they're moving a bit too fast, I'd like to see them wait to see how the curve is trending, but Jason Kenney really doesn't want "cancelled Stampede 2 years in a row" on his portfolio.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Kragger99 posted:

Also, sorry to hear about the side effects from your second dose - hope things are getting better.

They are! I went for an ultrasound today, the tech found the lump and confirmed it's the lymph node. I was the second person she saw who had that particular one get backed up by the shot. The swelling has gone down a lot, I can still find it easily and it hurts to push on. It's been 9 days since my jab, which is probably a longer amount of time than standard cases, but my body doesn't function properly to begin with, so I'm not surprised.

Hopefully anyone else who has this pop up sees the posts about it so they don't need to worry either.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Blitter posted:

Hospitalisations are not a metric by which you measure an outbreak.

Tell that to all the governments around the world who have been using it as a metric.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I'm glad our numbers are still on a steady march downward, even with delta making it's way around. I needed emergency dental work so I was maskless for an hour and it felt very strange.

It still blows my mind that we were one of the worst places in North America very recently and now we're down to 30 cases a day.

Vaccines: they're good! Temporary restrictions: also good! Mix them together: very good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Alberta lifted all Covid restrictions today, with exception for municipal bylaw and business choice. My husband's work is currently stating all staff have to keep wearing masks for another month but customers don't have to. Calgary still has it's mask mandate for public buildings in place for at least 5 more days.