Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

I talked to a old lady today and we didn't wear masks or be weird because we're both vaxxed and were outside.

It was nice to make a new friend.

You are history’s greatest monster :reject:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

You have a better chance of catching tetanus or something in your goon hovel but yeah, outside does sound scary

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Fuschia tude posted:

Yeah aren't surfaces not really an issue unless they're basically warm and dripping?

And even then you'd have to lick it

Yeah it’s a bit of a miracle that fomite transmission isn’t much of a thing. The risk has always been aerosol transmission.

Everyone has different risk tolerances. I’ve been paranoid as hell for 14 months but if you’re vaccinated it seems like you don’t have too much to worry about generally, especially if you’re still wearing a mask in certain situations. I went to my favorite bar and hung out on the patio once I was two weeks post second shot. It was great!

I dunno man, it looks like this is going to hang around forever. I’m just going to cross my fingers and take a calculated risk here and there. That’s life I guess.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

PTO rocks, don’t be a narc

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

I went back to the office today :thumbsup:

At least everyone is vaccinated

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

he's been aggressive, hateful, name-calling, and all kinds of poo poo. I've asked him not to interact with me repeatedly and yet he still is especially with lovely sneery stuff like that. and I literally can't block him because he's an IK and you can't block those people.

You constantly pick fights with everyone and try to make the global pandemic thread solely about your personal trauma. Sorry you’re having a rough time but give it a rest ffs

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

empty whippet box posted:

new design just dropped

https://thehotbuttonissue.com/product/vaxxedandready/

please buy some buttons so i can afford a camera to take better pictures than this.

Sorry, I only buy novelty pogs

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

lol

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

Brett Pain on street fight radio was saying "women, if you're married to some guy who is not gonna get the vaccine... just divorce them". I dunno if I'm there yet but ostracization is real.
I do wonder if I'd have the will power to reduce and finally cut contact with older antivax relatives like parents etc. I'd like to think I would. As a bonus if enough people do, the estranged parents thread will be hot again.

"My no-count son and daughter in law won't let me see my grandkids just because I'm not 5G vaccinated and I go to fast casual restaurants and linger inside for hours to make a point to the staff and I constantly open mouth cough on anything and everything around me. Is there some way I can sue them?"

I’m not sure Brett Pain is the guy to listen to when it comes to marriage advice

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Sjs00 posted:

Oh I would not be stepping into any bars, just the heavily crowded streets outside the bars. And suffice to say people have seen me around before that I would probably be fine?
The convos would not be jovial though that is for loving sure

e i imagine my single line would be "Hey have you considered getting vaxed?" and then roll tape

https://twitter.com/moschinodorito/status/1259871762575249408?s=21

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

I’ve found the best way to change people’s minds is actually to just mind my own business and hope for the best. Some weird goon stammering accusations at strangers sounds really funny though, please record it and upload it.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

hakimashou posted:

I don't think that 9/11 had a bigger psychological effect than covid or that it changed nearly as much here as covid changed. 9/11 didn't change almost everything about this country, it changed much less than covid has.

A million dead Iraqis, an out of control surveillance state and being at war with someone, somewhere, forever, and you’re talking about shoes. Just lol

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Yeah alright that’s fair

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Blitter posted:

As someone who cares about significantly more than 20 people, I find that 5% suitably concerning too.

wilderthanmild posted:

Maybe I am overestimating people's understanding of odds though.

:discourse:

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

D20 posters have some opinions about misleading reporting

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

The freaking Applebee’s am I right?? Haha

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Fenarisk posted:

We had to go to Costco this past weekend and I just don't give a gently caress anymore, I'll gladly keep wearing a mask and loudly exclaiming how many idiots are inside without a mask when they are in earshot.

Weird goon in full face respirator, wandering around Costco inaudibly mumbling about how STUPID everyone is while normal families do their shopping and follow current CDC guidelines to the best of their ability.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Fenarisk posted:

At one time current cdc guidelines said no masks when there should have been, they're more based on politics than science.

Anyone in a closed space without a mask is directly attempting to harm my family so yeah, I couldn't care less what they think when you can't do the bare minimum of a level 2 mask.

No they’re not. They’re living their life. They are following current guidelines. Say what you will about the wisdom of CDC recommendations but you can’t expect everyone to know the “real truth” as filtered through anxiety riddled computer guys on obscure message boards.

Why are you even bringing your family into the Costco if it’s so dangerous? Seems like you’re just looking for confrontation.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

I think he’s talking about positive test %. There’s not a single US state with vaccinated numbers that low.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

d20 brain claims another innocent life

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

There are a fair amount of people who’ve used COVID as an excuse to gleefully get into confrontations with strangers and aren’t handling that going away very well. It’s weird poo poo.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

nexous posted:

Poster 1: I think we should keep wearing masks
Poster 2: what the gently caress do you mean we should never go outside, that’s absurd!

that’s the conversation here

The dude was bragging about starting confrontations with strangers for no reason lol

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I'm going to be burying people from this fuckin' thing forever.

I mean, yeah. It’s been obvious this was going to hang around forever since like April 2020.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

20 pounds really isn't a lot for most Americans.

Yes it is lol

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Blitter posted:

Didn't you just get back from a holiday, in Hawaii where they are struggling with introduction of variants, by tourists like you? Curious, I would have hoped that this last year would have beaten that selfish poo poo out of people...

Isn't that guy vaccinated? What's the issue here exactly?

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Blitter posted:

If you take a large group of fully vaccinated tourists and fly them around, it is inevitable that there will be mildly symptomatic or asymptomatic carriers that can spread or introduce a variant to their destination or bring it home upon their return.

As an individual, I'm sure that MarcusSA is absolutely confident that they were not a carrier. It's even quite likely true, individually.

It doesn't stop that as a group activity, tourism in the middle of a pandemic is a selfish indulgence with a risk that is disproportionately transferred to the less privileged. Picture for example, that someone worked in Hawaii last week (like KD, with only one vaccination and struggling to find time and time off to get their second) and someone on vacation, maskless and entitled by their fully vaccinated status, gives them delta.

:shrug:

yeah that'd be crazy. Well, see ya.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Blitter posted:

It's great that you live in the land of open biden, and gently caress and suck in Denny's locally and while on vacation.

Where I live, going on vacation outside my province isn't in the cards, because there is some actual intent to protect people and reduce introduction of variants.

I think non-essential travel is reprehensible and irresponsible; you just don't give a gently caress - many different viewpoints!

"province" get a load of this guy lol

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Spinz posted:

I do gaf, so much so that what I care about most is the idiots that aren't getting vaxed literally killing people. It's bizarro that you text at me like I'm a chud, what's wrong with you?

Healthy young poster goes to CSPAM, gets pumped with massive shot of many preprints, doesn't feel good and changes - DOOMERISM. Many such cases!

for real though that guy doesn't even understand what he's posting half the time, it's really funny

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

The only interesting thing about the lab leak theory imo is how it went from a dangerous racist conspiracy theory that would get you banned from social media to An Open Question That Merits Further Investigation sometime in early January.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

PIZZA.BAT posted:

at the end of the day you have to place your trust in someone or something.

:wrong:

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

It’s also difficult now to get a test that insurance will cover unless a doctor recommends it as far as I’ve seen. They’re not cheap if you’re paying out of pocket, maybe $70-$120.

So you’d actually expect the positivity rate to be going up, but it’s not. That’s a great sign.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

LanceHunter posted:

What are you talking about? At least here in the US you can still get no-cost covid tests at plenty of places (like most CVS locations).

Check the fine print there, it depends on your insurance. I did some research on this for a client and as far as I could tell you have to pay out of pocket unless you get a referral from a doctor.

Of course this all varies by state and insurer but I got the impression it’s fairly standard.

Space Camp fuckup fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 16, 2021

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

At select sites and pharmacies

I’m sure it varies state-by-state but in the Phoenix metro area I only found a couple free testing centers and they were way out in the boonies and not exactly a 24/7 thing

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Except people aren't taking them. When you have far fewer tests, of course you'll see a lower positive percentile. Because fewer people are taking them. Like, we talked about this this time last year and everyone agreed. I don't know why y'all have decided because it's not trump that things have changed.

How exactly does fewer people taking a test guarantee that a lower percentage will test positive?

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I am, though, because I do understand it. When you are actively throwing away the potential to get data from breakthrough cases just because they don't end in hospitalizations, that sucks. Especially when long covid is a thing.

Additionally: tons of testing sites are shutting down, tests are actively being discouraged for those who are vaccinated, and they are becoming more difficult to get to in a lot of areas. therefore, of course you are going to see a lower positive result when you have fewer participants. I'm glad it's going down, I'm not glad for potential issues that may be masking a higher positive rate that we are no longer catching. And I loathe that we're not following vaccinated people a lot harder because every breakthrough matters if for nothing else than a scale of vaccine efficacy. You'd think they'd want to know if efficacy starts to fall off in the greater population.

Have fun at Disneyland!

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Get your vaccine you moron

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

The servants should not only be masked, they should be muzzled

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Blitter posted:

Not everyone is some witless asshat like you, blindly embracing your for profit death cult.

Perhaps you should learn from your betters and shut the gently caress up about what other people do, in other countries?

Did you feel cool when you typed this up lol

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Blitter posted:

But you know what really pisses me off?

Yeah, everything lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Zugzwang posted:

So with all the talk about boosters and mixing vaccines from different manufacturers, are people in the US able to just show up and get a 3rd shot if they want?

There are people in CSPAM who’ve had 4 or 5 shots lol