Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
BLOOD AND GUTS
This poll is closed.
HORRIBLE 1 0.63%
MEH 16 10.06%
GOOD 74 46.54%
GREAT 68 42.77%
Total: 159 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Dango Bango posted:

I was out watering the yard but had this thought - would it have been a better finish if MJF hadn't thrown Jericho off the cage at the end of the match? To save the babyfaces from looking like idiots?

not in the slightest. the show ending on sammy surrendering and mjf going 'ok' and both him and jericho climbing down calmly as the show closes would've been awful

all it really needed was for mjf to wait until the match was called, tell the rest of the IC 'thanks,' and immediately shove jericho off the cage instead of milking it like he did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
the commercials really held the match back for me, honestly. cut it down to 30 minutes commercialless so you can have the wardlow entrance and the ring destruction on camera, and speed up the finish so it flows better and people aren't hanging on the crash pad visual and it'd have been fantastic

too much dead time in the last 10-15 minutes or so

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

El Generico posted:

MJF could've even acted like he was gonna throw him off, then pulled him back and flipped the camera off.

why would he do that, though. he wants jericho to get hurt

like, a heel doesn't have to hate the fans more than he hates any other wrestler

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

CombineThresher posted:

That's a fair point, but it would have been better if Kenny had gotten frustrated by OC not giving a poo poo instead of giving his sunglasses to Nak and swaggering away. I see where your head's at, though.

i think kenny was clearly frustrated by OC in the promo, dude gets more and more animated when someone isn't playing his game

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Jonny Nox posted:

Pretty sure AEW has "Breaking up teams" on a list labeled "Sports Entertainment Bullshit"

scu's disbanding next week, after losing sky over a month ago

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

MorningMoon posted:

I gotta admit i was a bit disappointed in that finish, but mostly it was minor stuff piling up. Like Sammy surrendering when it didn't look that dramatic yet, the shots where you could see the unpainted side of the cardboard, the panning of the stage before the drop that tipped us off that it'd be a crashpad. Like just straight up a different camera angle would've fixed it enough for me to love the ending.

Either way the match slapped/10

next week looks insane

next week's one of the best advertised cards they've ever had. a little sad there isn't any clear room for a Surprise Debut to happen, but we'll see how all the toxxes from the last thread will go

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

SonicRulez posted:

- Opener was fine. Pretty much what I expected. Sets up some good stuff for Double or Nothing.
- Tag eliminator was pretty good. Glad SCU won.
- THA DOCKTAH vs Shida is gonna bang. Very excited for that.
- Omega's promo went a bit long, but I'm still excited for either him and PAC or him and Orange Cassidy. Both are likely to be awesome.
- THE MAN WHO DOESN'T MIND DYING VERSUS THE MAN WHO DOESN'T MIND KILLING HIM

I thought the main event was pretty awesome. Surprising to see so many people down on the ending. I don't really get why. I thought MJF looked awesome covered in blood. Definitely predicted he'd throw Jericho. I guess some folks are upset the bump didn't look as brutal?

people were mostly upset the crash pad looked too much like a crash pad with painted cardboard on top of it, instead of something more convincing, then some people got mad at those people for thinking it undercut the match enough for the whole thing to be trash, and then that fed into each other a whole bunch more than it should've

it was fine, it could've been better, and i think the commercials hosed the pacing of the match and did more to take away from it than the crash pad being too obvious

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

smarxist posted:

I feel like if Sammy had chased Max up and they brawled a bit and Max had him beat after the ring punch and Max held Sammy hostage and CHRIS surrendered that would have been a better ending, and directly established Max vs Sammy blood feud for the next decade

the inevitable end to this feud is the inner circle finally breaking up, and having jericho sacrifice the match to save sammy reinforces the group instead

when jericho's back on tv he's going to blow up at sammy and insist he would've been fine, and i think mjf's going to stoke that fire by drawing parallels to himself and throwing in the towel on cody

El Gallinero Gros posted:

So is Cage just not getting his title shot?

cassidy and pac are #1 and #2 in the rankings after hangman lost; hangman dropped hard but it didn't shoot brian cage up past those two

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

NutritiousSnack posted:

So I'm guessing either Miro wins the title next week, or shenanigans ensue and he wins the TNT at Double or Nothing in a rematch

it'd be some schmozz but i really like miro getting angry at the idea that he might win the belt by forfeit without a fight next week and refusing to let that happen

i'd still rather that resolve by him going to the hospital/breaking into darby's house and having the fight there instead of pushing the fight to happen at the ppv though

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Alaois posted:

Miro breaks into Darby's house to find him and have his match, only to discover Darby's house is a weird hosed up Tony Hawk level where everything is a ramp or a pool or a rail

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

aw i did some more research and apparently this (the PAS house) never got built for real as far as i can tell. have another great image of it:

this one does exist over in the UK though

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Bard Maddox posted:

I liked the Omega-Cassidy stuff but I would have had OC pull out another pair of sunglasses and put them on after they left. it's a great gag

i think it'd have been a good punchline but you can save that punchline for after OC goes over PAC next week

hell, even have OC come out without the shades until then

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Pylons posted:

They've been pretty clear that they see this as a mid-point to the feud, not the blowoff.

jericho outright called it "a beginning" on twitter

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
we haven't had any matches with the pinnacle/inner circle people individually since the former faction debuted, other than the B+G match and jericho/dax with tyson at ringside. we'll probably see those happen over the upcoming months, and mjf/sammy is a money match they can have at a ppv easily

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Nick Jr. Face posted:

Guilty as charged. My dumbass was hoping he was going to be announced as Kenny's opponent at DoN, even though it would've defeated the entire purpose of the ranking system and been classic Sports Entertainment BullshitTM of a big name marching into a promotion an immediately competing for the top belt.

it's not exactly hard to write: kenny doesn't think anyone in aew's a good challenge so he pulled some strings and got someone he knows will at least be some fun; cue debut. have him act like he's bought into kenny's deal until the title match, where kenny goes alright, that's enough, time to go home' and then dbry goes 'nah' and kicks his head off. it's swervy but kenny's storyline is the sort of thing you can swerve with

without a debut, orange is a fun matchup and can believably go over pac (especially if cassidy continues to get to the point quicker like he's done in other matches these days). i'd love to see cassidy go over but i think it's way too early for kenny to start dropping belts + him going over PAC would at least push the DT/BFs angle some more

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it has been less than two months since the pinnacle debuted on dynamite

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Oh

I ignore the gently caress out of him as much as possible so that explains that

not going to really push on it since you outright said you're in a bad mood, but the acclaimed have grown on me a bunch recently and platinum max has become exactly the sort of weirdo i like my wrestlers to be

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Lamuella posted:

I think I'm more forgiving about the ending than some people are. On the basis that - from the Inner Circle's point of view - they didn't know the stage bump was going to be onto something padded. They didn't come in by the regular entrances, didn't walk across that bit of stage, and as far as they knew that was just a regular bit of stage. Hence their reaction in the moment can be written up as genuine. Jericho was safer in the landing than he would have been in other places, but you could use that later on for a Jericho promo about how MJF should have killed him.

Fushin posted:

Crash pad or not that’s still got to suck for Jericho’s old bones. Easy way to kayfabe an excuse where TK installed it knowing MJF might do some bullshit like that. It’s not as blatant as parking a truck full of hay next to a hell in a cell for no reason at all.

i know what y'all're doing here but they really really aren't going to treat 'oh my god you can tell he hit a crash pad' as a botch and they're not going to break keyfabe for it

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

ThePariah posted:

Max Caster is gonna be the best heel in wrestling one day.

i think the dude has a long future ahead of him but he's in the same company as MJF and i don't think there's a young dude as effortless a heel as him

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Shinjobi posted:

There should be a preemptive funeral service for Darby

he just does those for fun every other weekend

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I mean I wouldn't hate Darby retaining, but pretty much all of his matches recently have been the exact same formula: someone tosses Darby around for 10 minutes, then he does one thing and wins the match. It's stale.

Also while I'm not a fan of Wardlow (I barely know who the guy is), that loving military press to just toss Sammy straight up in the air was loving sick.

iirc wardlow was an unknown when he came to aew and people are into him basically just on his (very small amount of) work here

i'd go watch the cage match at least

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

graph posted:

how possible would it be for a kip interference or is he still dead

people keep saying kip interference like there's any reason for him to want to confront miro again

my opinion is that he's probably going to keep his distance and go back to doing midcard matches and valeting for penelope, and somewhere down the line miro is going to want the tag belts and he'll show up on kip's doorstep and Ask Politely to fight together again

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i like SCU but i feel like now's the time for them to lose. they don't need another run with the belts, and the bucks outright retiring their friends for heat just works

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

STAC Goat posted:

Wrestling just feels like it has such a bad habit of "heat" over "catharsis." One of the biggest moments in recent memory is the ending a midcard tag feud because it was incredibly satisfying to see the Best Friends stand tall together. So yeah, you can end Daniels' career with a whimper and the Bucks get to be heels and there's heat. But I think its much more satisfying to give Daniels one last short run so that when he does lose it doesn't feel like failure, it feels like celebration. Its not hard, and it doesn't need to take long. The Bucks don't lose anything by dropping the belts, and someone can gain from beating SCU in a month or two.

But I also am not expecting it. I expect a Bucks win. I just don't like it.

heat and catharsis are two separate things that you want to try to supply enough of across the board to further both your heels and your faces. a heel that never builds any heat is a joke, or at least someone that fundamentally is failing at performing their character, and a face that never triumphs similarly feels weak and not believable. a feud between a heel and a face never has to resolve in one way or the other, and should instead focus on whichever character wants more for the added momentum of their win

for SCU, specifically, they've had a good thing going in AEW already -- they were the first tag champs, and they've had a big win streak to get them to the point where they're challenging the bucks right now. what's in question is just 'what pushes the story forward right now' and I don't think that SCU going over and getting the belts again really Does anything on that front as much as the bucks forcing the breakup would

i should mention that i don't think the SCU breakup will be a handshake-and-never-seen-together-again, to be clear. i expect a daniels solo run at least before he retires completely, probably with a program against kaz; there's also always the possibility that SCU refuses to honor the breakup for whatever reason and a different program arises from there

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
other people already said this to you but daniels losing here has never been said to be his outright retirement; it's the ending of SCU as a tag team. it's not outright over for daniels if he and kaz lose to the bucks, and i think that's what's been souring you on the idea the most here

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

an excuse for what

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i kind of want max to lean more towards feeling like he's freestyling instead of dropping the burns he prewrote overnight b/c his adlibs have come across well

but that's basically me saying he should do what he's doing already but worse, and also if i think about freestyling too much these days i end up having eminem's line about grabbing a boob/his penis' attitude in my head for hours

edit: enjoy the curse
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWnqzQFGH5A

i legit thought it was someone parodying him for over a week

flatluigi fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 7, 2021

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i don't know how someone can be on SA for over a decade and not be down with people with shitposter energy

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
for posterity

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I want evans to have a match with juris moveset

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Lamuella posted:

Other than the Big Signing Thing they did when he showed up in the company, Christian has been booked almost exactly like Christian should be booked. Salty wrestler in his forties who has pretty good matches.

even that i feel was a casualty of people hyping it up more than aew actually did. dude's definitely a hall-of-fame level talent, it's just that people were fuckin fantasy booking mick foley and john cena and worked themselves up about it

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i don't think you book someone to get thrown down a flight of stairs before a title defense without expecting them to drop it

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
this is the general aew thread but for the sake of keeping it from getting too unwieldy every Wednesday it gets closed for a live thread during dynamite and then a new weekly thread gets made after the show. makes it easy to look back and see what people thought of each show as well

there's also two permanent threads for the two youtube dark shows aew does

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i kind of assume you're going to try to start powering through dynamites after the ppvs, but i do highly recommend checking out the two youtube dark shows at some point as well, because they put out some ridiculously good levels of wrestling just free on youtube every week and it's great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
huh, julia hart's 19

does that make her the youngest wrestler to appear on aew