Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: dead gay comedy forums)

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Brain Candy posted:

so i read stalin dunking on anarchists, and it was great. the only problem i'd have with it is all the talk of the imminent victory of the proletarians: it's proletarian revolution or mutual ruin of the contending classes and it seems like we're on path b. what can we do today in our current context? i see people organizing unions, okay, cool, is that viable in the timeframe we have? that seems too slow, very much so given nuclear annhilation and global warming going hand in hand

i feel like i'm building a very sophisticated model of how we're all going to die, instead what is to be done?

pessimism of the intellect, optimism of the will.

the fact is, the odds are most likely against us. but that's no excuse not to try to organize and foster working class consciousness among the people you can, and win what victories are within striking distance. nobody knows what tomorrow brings, and maybe an opportunity will present itself due to historical conditions we can't forecast. doing your best with what you have now will put us in the best position to take advantage of a situation like that.

and if we're on an irreversible course towards the collapse of the industrialized world and the beginning of a dark age of instability, strife, and the possible annihilation of the human race? at least you'll go down fighting, and make friends along the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I struggle with despair myself. I think for a lot of people, the demobilization of the pandemic has taken a big chunk out of our morale, because there just haven't the same (limited) opportunities for organizing that existed even 2 years prior. but, things will change, and your mood will change, if you don't allow yourself to be permanently stuck in a rut

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Zodium posted:

it's not about saying slurs, it's just about making it impossible for Flavius, personally, to remain a mod.

I would like it if he was not a mod personally

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

CODChimera posted:

am i the only one that just thinks all of this is really weird?

no. no you are not.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

it is weird to me to have such a bad mod, I feel like I've spent years on this forum without seeing such egregiously misplaced power, though maybe it's just because I never hung out in the places where bad moderation was happening before.

it's astonishing how much it fucks up everything. I liked the communism thread, even though they are mean to trotskyists. I would like to go back to liking it, preferably very soon

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Ferrinus posted:

sorry, what does "even-handed" mean here w/r/t saying slurs? will there be times that someone calls someone else the r-world and the even-handed gradenko lets it slide, while the trigger-happy flavius punishes it?

gradenko can be trusted not to spiral out of control with petty retribution if people don't like what he does, I suspect

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Ferrinus posted:

but you're still not going to answer the yes or no question, right?

you know what, maybe he won't probate for every use of the r-word, I dunno. But I can promise you this, the r-word will end up being used orders of magnitudes less

I'm all for a harm reduction approach

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Ferrinus posted:

it's just kind of weird that this flavius guy somehow causes people to use slurs. if they're unhappy with moderation and wanted to act out in protest they could also post goatse or keep calling him a pedophile or something. yet there seems to be something special about the r-word, such that when flavius just probates for use of the r-word you instantly get three pages that look like this one

this just seems like the bargaining stage of grief to me. okay, fine, we won't say it, but you have to reward us for it!

bad moderation brings out the worst in posters. tell me, do you think the current approach is working?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Ferrinus posted:

i'm not sure how you define "is working". if the idea of a good ik vs. a bad mod is that the good ik will let the r-word slide sometimes while the bad mod won't, but about six people who don't normally post here will start compulsively using the r-world if the bad mod ever shows his face, then it seems like you get slur use in either situation

Yes, let me think of the long and storied history of the r-word being used in the communism thread before FA mr. magooed his way through here. times like, uh

or also uh

hmm

almost like there's a specific kind of toxic dynamic here that led to the r-word being used that could be corrected by removing one of the moving parts

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Flying-PCP posted:

So let me get this straight, your conditions for a thread with only a little bit of ablism (not sure how that's supposed to be acceptable but ok) are for Flavius to leave AND for him to threadban a non-mod poster you don't like? What if another ferrinus shows up? I feel like you're not thinking this through.

don't know who is proposing those things but that sure sounds silly OP

I just think we should have someone who isn't generally an rear end in a top hat to slap sixers for the r-word as needed maybe

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Flying-PCP posted:

Raskolnikov said ferrinus shouldn't be allowed to 'try to be the center of the thread' (which is vague enough to basically just mean threadban him because wtf else would it mean)

probe him when he's being an obtuse weirdo probably

I wouldn't complain

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

like that, I would not complain if someone gave him a 6er for that

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

you love to see it folks

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Gorman Thomas posted:

I ran into some Revcoms yesterday at a popular walking path in my city and was surprised to hear that Chairman Bob endorsed Biden in 2020 lmao. The person I was talking to was going through the normal anti-patriarchy, anti-empire spiel but then followed up with "and the republican fascists are trying to get rid of the democrats!!!" Like, I understand that they're trying to broaden the messaging to attract libs but come on lol.

the perils of the popular front

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

boss makes a dollar, I make a dime

that's why I post on company time

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

indigi posted:

Marx didn’t have ears. not a lot of people know this

That explains why he was so notoriously difficult to troll

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

yr new gurlfrand! posted:

I thought it was the alcoholism and brutally owning his literary enemies

It can be more than one thing

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Celot posted:

It’s a set of base assumptions. It’s an unfalsifiable lens for viewing the world.

wow a popperist in the 21st century, and he thinks he is smarter than marx? oh do tell more

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Cpt_Obvious posted:

What's the deal with the spiral? What are they spiraling towards? Each other?

it is a system of feedback loops, here presented in broad abstract strokes to convey an idea

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Raskolnikov38 posted:

have breathing exercises/thoughtfulness ever helped anyone ever? none of that poo poo has ever reduced my anxiety a single iota

yes, I have benefitted from abdominal breathing exercises in times of stress

doesn't usually work when offered as a patronizing insult but if you are panicking, it can steady you

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

indigi posted:

it has never worked for general anxiety for me, I should say

It's more effective for acute episodes, in my experience. Scientific data suggests regular meditation (which involves controlled, abdominal breathing) would probably at least aid in general anxiety, but I never had the discipline to keep it up.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

a Loving Dog posted:

Now I don't trust the police in many situations if at all, but I am actively choosing to believe them here because it's funny.

since nobody appears to have been arrested and they effectively just got shooed away, I'm inclined to say, "same"

dumbasses though they are I'd prefer if they didn't get subjected to the carceral state

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

fart simpson posted:

that’s not marxism

these fools pop every now again. do they really think we celebrate marx because he was the first person to say "the rich exploit the poor"?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

brugroffil posted:

I'm sorry for the joke, guys.

what's the joke

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I don't dislike twoday. He did the call-in lines, and I enjoy those. So, get well soon, goon

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Yossarian-22 posted:

malthusian thought was probably just an attempt to explain away his virginity

Everything old is new again

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Comrade Koba posted:

loving lol at the idea of riot ribs being “cointelproed”

I mean, feds or no, the cops gave them the business hard.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

My experience of weed dealers is that at worst they are just kind of annoying. They're generally the kind of people whose whole identity is weed culture. Buddy, I just want to get stupid on Friday and Saturday nights. I don't want to be your loving friend

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Atrocious Joe posted:

you just need to look at Iraq, Gaza, and Syria to see that "combined arms operations in urban terrain" presumably means levelling enemy controlled blocks with artillery and air strikes

I don't think they do that when American businesses could be put out by that, as would be the case in US urban cores

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

indigi posted:

underground greenhouses

That sounds like one of those things that you'd see on a conspiracy theory meme with the iceberg and different levels of derangement

It'd be one of the deeper tiers for sure

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Algund Eenboom posted:

Which Marxist Is The "Epic Gritty" Of Leftism

Marx is shaggy and loves to party

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Anime Bernie Bro posted:

every corporation is gay now

bet the class reductionists are seething

Except for their middle east subsidiaries

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Larry Parrish posted:

Another victory for the non mega thread CSPAM posters. May the mod team swiftly receive permanent bans in my place.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

my bony fealty posted:

is this the Red Guards recruiting thread

Yeah, pm me and I'll get your pertinent details for recruitment

I'll just need your social security code, current address, and credit card number

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Cerebral Bore posted:

on the one hand a lot of me making fun of trots and anarkiddies and the like is just shitposting but on the other hand if you actually want to get something done then maybe you shouldn't take your cues from people who think that a track record of complete and abysmal failure to even inconvenience international capital is some kind of badge of honour

When it comes to America the great Satan, that's all any of us have accomplished within the belly of the beast

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

that guy's way handsome imo

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Office Pig posted:

rest in pasta soccerman

Another successful drone strike

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

AnimeIsTrash posted:

You made me curious. This thread was basically made at the start of the month, how do people already have so many posts?

Mental illness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Powerful

I feel a little dizzy