Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: dead gay comedy forums)

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

scary ghost dog posted:

youre going to have only very small windows in which you can post for a while.....and i know youre the exact kind of psycho thats going to try to sneak a qcs thread in lol

my money's on someone with red text making a complaint thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

a Loving Dog posted:

not gonna lie this is the only funny thing flavius has ever done

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

a word as a symbol? you may be presenting too abstract a concept here

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

it appears to be in retrograde

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

just lol if anyone's getting upset about getting probed a few times though, not a bad move

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

same question for you: should the mods probate people for using this particular slur, in c-spam. yes or no

let's detach that one level out; should people get into needless slap-fights with one another at all times?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Flavius Aetass posted:

you're being lazy and blaming ferrinus for trying to actually examine what people have been making GBS threads up the thread about for pages

I'm not blaming anyone, it does get to the point where the whole thing is basically people circling their row through and through

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

CODChimera posted:

am i the only one that just thinks all of this is really weird?

not at all, you're very much not alone in that belief

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

Glenn thread basking in the glow of managing to still be better

Huh okay I didn't even know that Mithridates and Calgacus was fake news. My level of familiarity with Roman history is Dan Carlin's series on the Republic and Mike Duncan's History of Rome, so thank you for putting this into context.

Mostly I was blown away by how directly he manages to frame the issue of historiography being as colored and "biased" as it is from how we know of it, and even just the attempt of trying to write a "people's history" of Rome is a hell of a rhetorical device, even if there's bound to be wide gaping holes in it.

I always got the feeling that Mithraicism was always more made up than an actual mystery cult, but it was wholesale fake? completely made up by the Roman state as their solar worship cut-in?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Brain Candy posted:

Mithridates -> King of Pontus
Caesar -> Queen of Biythnia
Mirthas -> Sol Invictus

you know, with Rome's entire row with Carthage, you would be slightly excused to forget about the rest of Asia Minor, but I really ought to have thought of another kingdom of the era :doh:

edit: oh, and it was Hellenized too? well, there's a conflict right there, especially given this time period, ooh

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

oh, the person who made the QCS thread does not have red text

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I know the one VTuber is a VTuber because she has some sort of autoimmune disorder that more or less keeps her from going anywhere not sterile

it makes sense when you're stuck where you are

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

apropos to nothing posted:

lol this is it for me. idgaf about r word, from the start only complained cause of the arbitrary enforcement of rules which 100% were always meted out against posting enemies and ignored by others, applied to the whole "mods are pedophiles" thing too and basically everything in the history of the website. its totally absurd that words like "oval office" are banned in the joke politics forum on a website where 9/11 set to yakety sax was its most significant contribution to the world. i shant post in cspam again because the mods are idiots who punish people for saying oval office and it may be revealed at a later date that some of them have committed crimes of a sexual nature. i shall stick to the pink forum and laugh at you all assuming that i am not banned for this post given the ruling that it is illegal to laugh at the mods now. please organize people around you and at your workplace and dont post online all day about "leftist" politics because it will rot your brain and you will never change anything or organize anyone.

it's an awful shame and an awful pall on the moderating person that says they're bent on bringing peace and order, but what does that matter? there's more important things to be done out in the wider world, and somehow, your actions in the most inconsequential part of it have led someone who not contributed, but contributed out of a passion and joy for the subject, to pull up their stakes and leave because you're that intolerable even here.

what hope is there for a moderator to do anything other than make important the places they moderate? it's self-defeating, and that's just a start

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

and now, we gather under the name of Team Retard

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I need to get a new phone for books on tape because this one is like nearly ten years old and can barely hold enough charge to last two hours

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

its like that junji ito comic where the longer the spiraling goes on that lady's face (the working class) gets more and more hosed up

(I think "spiral" as opposed to "circular" or whatever comes directly from Marx and I think it's ultimately due to a bad translation choice)

it's just recursive, don't dwell on it too much and just know it likes to play itself as a perpetual motion device

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Celot posted:

Being totally hosed up by war and poverty in Russia and being totally hosed up by war and poverty in Iraq.

I get the feeling you're going at ISIS by denouncing a lack of access to books and education

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Celot posted:

QM predicts a probability distribution. Can Marxism? Like half the time there’s a mass religious fundamentalist movement and half the time there isn’t?

okay, so it wasn't about books and education, but your books and education and we're doing your economics homework

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

You see, you need not know how the clock works, or know its mechanisms, or even know that it has mechanisms at all for it to function

What you need to for this clock to work, and I cannot stress this enough, is Marxism

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I'm glad the mass hysterias across Russia led to revolution in the end

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

this runs parallel with many other Marxist-Leninst memes commonly found on the internet,

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Atrocious Joe posted:

The 30 Years War could have been avoided if people were able to access therapy and get some SSRIs or ketamine.

Joan of Arc was in need of therapy. could have really helped her out

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

tokin opposition posted:

The move from a structuralist account in which capital is understood to structure social relations in relatively homologous ways to a view of hegemony in which power relations are subject to repetition, convergence, and rearticulation brought the question of temporality into the thinking of structure, and marked a shift from a form of Althusserian theory that takes structural totalities as theoretical objects to one in which the insights into the contingent possibility of structure inaugurate a renewed conception of hegemony as bound up with the contingent sites and strategies of the rearticulation of power.

I'm vigorously shuffling around papers on a desk, and trust me, I look busy

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

have breathing exercises/thoughtfulness ever helped anyone ever? none of that poo poo has ever reduced my anxiety a single iota

it works pretty well for my anxiety, or at the least it helps you alleviate and quell whatever raised heart rate and shortness of breath that leads to my anxiety flaring up in the first place

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I took it as he wanted someone to complete some sort of assignment for him by asking contradictory questions

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

splifyphus posted:

popper is a loving idiot and his epistemology is the height of abstract idealist bullshit. empiricism proceeds by both verification and falsification, and there's an entire mathematical/conceptual/historical aspect that popper, in his lust to turn marx and freud into cranks, totally obscures. it's not like P went and studied actual lab practices or anything, he just decreed 'science should work this way!'

but it doesn't. and if only 'falsifiable' theories count then the sciences actually end up crippled in their scope. like, so much for just about all of contemporary theoretical physics, that poo poo ain't never gonna be falsifiable under capital.

and anyways historical materialism has a method, it's called revolutionary praxis, and the theories this practice generates can be falsified in practice. when your theories get falsified you lose. each revolutionary wave got a little bit farther than the previous wave by learning from previously falsified theories. it's messy as hell, but science always is.

how does Popper explain phlogiston not being the actual substance, but being an erroneous substance that would accurately describe a process and how to find various elements which exhibit that process?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

animist posted:

you know, if you really dig into the origins and sources of all those fields, I think you'll find that they're all actually applied midwifing

ah, prostitution: the oldest profession

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

when flavius gets demodded do they add his star to the wall in the lobby?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

the virgin graphic design vs. the chad typeface

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

exmarx posted:

cubism: communist gnome guy figures out how to represent change and time with paint in 2 dimensions

futurism: a bunch of nerds create word clouds and get hosed up by world war 1, become founding members of the italian fascist movement

q.e.d.

if you wear corrective lenses, some Impressionist painters have a very neat trick in store when you take off your glasses!

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

very glad to hear that you're doing okay and that you're doing not only better for the ware, but renewed as well

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

the local housing working group was invaluable when my apartment got destroyed in a fire and the intransigent landlord tried to de facto evict me rather than do a couple weeks' worth of repairs a few years back, solidarity and mutual aid are extremely powerful

I had to fight with my landlord to do any sort of work that wasn't keeping the building supplies in the hallway for half a year and having guys every three weeks or so shuffle it around and do nothing about the gutted-out kitchen

at least the stove still worked :shrug:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Southpaugh posted:

Bringing us all the way back to catholic integralism. Good thread

this thread is now an unsealed fount of Jesuit mysteries :science:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Trotsky, history's most brusque INTJ

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Lol apparently that is a real thing.

Marxist Humanists usually base themselves on the early, humanist writings of Karl Marx, especially the Economic and Philosophical Manuscripts of 1844 (which had only been deciphered and translated, thanks to Raya Dunayevskaya, in the 1930s). The focus on the early works is not exclusive, but generally speaking, Marxist-Humanism defines itself in opposition to “objectivist” tendencies in social theory, reflected in orthodox interpretations of “historical materialism” (See for example Stalin's Dialectical and Historical Materialism, 1938), in which the agent of history is not human beings, but either abstract entities such as “laws of history” or inanimate entities such as “means of production.”

https://www.marxists.org/subject/humanism/

this is not humanism

(the dorks writing above, this I'll get to later)

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

you think it might be something [an ILL can get, if you're using the correct library system?]

Victory Position has issued a correction as of 19:52 on May 23, 2021

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Atrocious Joe posted:

the real r word is revisionism

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

ArfJason posted:

The Big R

they have those, they're like Farm and Fleet, but they recently changed their name over to Stock and Field

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

today's been a great day overall, it looks like