Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: dead gay comedy forums)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i didn't know or care who he was until he ruined the best thread on the forums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i swear to god if you're a stemlord who has never set foot in a social science class

Jon Joe posted:

here we can see the beginnings of religious fundamentalism in response to material conditions in this very thread

lmfao

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

tokin opposition posted:

The move from a structuralist account in which capital is understood to structure social relations in relatively homologous ways to a view of hegemony in which power relations are subject to repetition, convergence, and rearticulation brought the question of temporality into the thinking of structure, and marked a shift from a form of Althusserian theory that takes structural totalities as theoretical objects to one in which the insights into the contingent possibility of structure inaugurate a renewed conception of hegemony as bound up with the contingent sites and strategies of the rearticulation of power.

source ur quotes

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

thank god the thread is back to normal

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Hodgepodge posted:

lol i was pretty impressed for the first paragraph or so of that post before i figured out the 1 was a citation and not a typo

cellphone'd

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Brain Candy posted:

(this is not some mystical thing, each time you recall something you destroy that memory and recreate it physically. memory retention is tied to emotional intensity: this is why PTSD can get worse with time, as the memories actually strengthen as the new experience reinforces the old)
this is definitely true but I never thought about it that way before. time to start saving for therapy!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Atrocious Joe posted:

the real r word is revisionism

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

The Voice of Labor posted:

pacifica radio, pot growers and environmental activists represent a substantial part of the american left for, like most of the 80's and 90's. if anyone in the u.s. knew or cared about what was going on in south america, or asia or even within the united states it was because they were hippies or hippy adjacent. so broaden that, make it so that anti-interventionism/anti-imperialism is considered the normal position rather than the extreme far left position. why does this notion trouble you so much?

don't harsh my mellow man

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i'd be doing my own a/b extraction the second coca leaves become legal ngl

i say swears online has issued a correction as of 06:17 on Jun 1, 2021

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

what if syndicalism so we only have to deal with the squares at the straightedge factory some of the time

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

what's the weed like in manila anyway

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

much more relevant lyrics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbHLj7xt5Rw

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

AnimeIsTrash posted:

How did the communist governments handle soldiers being reintegrated into society after the revolution? Are there any first hand accounts from soldiers?

i haven't read this but it probably contains some info

https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/economics/staff/mharrison/public/pp2011postprint.pdf

not the greatest source but it's probably a lightly-tread topic by western academics

i say swears online has issued a correction as of 21:22 on Sep 23, 2023

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it is a very serious and rigorous academic paper

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah lumpen are people who would ostensibly be working-class but work against the interests of the proletarian project: mafia, petty thieves, methheads who strip copper piping

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

dead gay comedy forums posted:

Mao argued that the lumpen vacillated between revolution and reaction, thus it is a vanguard matter to proletarianize them, to seize their declassed condition for the benefit of all. Personally, I think that it is here where we get a shift towards a new categorical problem, more closer and relevant to our present-day economies. A good bunch of people nowadays could be seen as lumpen in the 19th century (especially in the service sector), but wouldn't be actually so because they were proletarianized either by discourse, organic intellectual effort, education or simply emerging class consciousness.

really good post, and this part is something i hadn't really put much thought into before. would this be someone like a liquor store employee on a poor side of town? or a debt collector, or someone that hawks reverse mortgages?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ah, elon reply-guys

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

mila kunis posted:

lumpenprole = criminals, football hooligans etc.

is football hooliganism a profession? i figured all those guys have boring salaried jobs

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

does the flintstones' ironing board have class consciousness

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

women only read YA capital nowadays sigh

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

is it worth your time and safety to organize in an all-volunteer army?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i see volunteers as being okay with the basic idea of a state, as well as being an agent of it, as opposed to conscripts. i could also see a volunteer troop used to enact various...actions as part of a revolutionary group, but at arm's length. i could also see veterans incorporated, but an active-duty member in good standing is either a deep mole or will get you all arrested

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

if active-duty volunteer troops are ripe for organizing, does that also mean that it's a good strategy to infiltrate the army, i.e. sign up with intent? i know that was a thing in 1916, but conscript-free it just feels ripe with danger and counterproductive outcomes. there's no true critical mass to success in the 2024 US army imo

you can pick up the disaffected, yes, but discharged vets are a different thing altogether

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I think creating propaganda aimed at converting soldiers would be more productive than enlisting to organize cadres within it. what you'd want in a revolutionary situation is for the rank-and-file to side with the revolution or at least lay down their arms. trying to convert from within just seems like asking for a very long stay at leavenworth

yeah i think this is what i was getting at

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i just think there's a fundamental difference with a predominantly-conscript army because the communists are already there because they were forced to be. propaganda is much more effective from this position, but also more effective at whom it goes toward

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

mila kunis posted:

it also took a massive catastrophic social and military breakdown for said conscripts to become the backbone of bolshevism in 1917

maybe the stochastic infiltration is via payroll

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Brain Candy posted:

but one guy did a thing! let me proceed to forget that class traitors are going to statistically happen and say some increasingly bombastic nonsense

i say swears online posted:

hey sorry comrades i got a huge signing bonus i already spent on a camaro that they're threatening to take away so i had to give sarge my telegram password

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i never even considered officers, they are straight out of the question in any branch but air force in particular

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i think the villain in the rock was a marine colonel and he was portrayed sympathetically

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

surely the swamp maoists can knock out a bad tooth

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Yeah at best you’re going to get like Robert Evans types of radlibs among even the most “leftist” officers. Literally every exception I can think of in American history since the 1880s who was an ex military officer either got kicked out deliberately or only came around after they had been out of the military for some time.

an officer will inititiate revolution based on personal grievances or at the end of a bayonet, that's about it

chapo likes to be coy about an officers' coup which yes may actually be the most direct path to an anti-imperialist government but they definitely mean captains and majors instead of colonels

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Depends how granular you wanna get, because I bet you'd find significant differences between specialties within the same branch. e.g. in the Air Force enlisted ranks a lot of your combat specialties are gonna be extremely hoorah and about as revolutionary as marine infantry, and MPs are cops, but the further you get from that the better your chances are going to be. They're still not gonna be great but the odds are much better in places like sheet metal shops and chow halls than say the pararescue barracks

Yeah this, 100%. There is absolutely no way you're going to go in and do any good yourself, the machine will change you instead. Best to let them decide for themselves if that's what they want to do. They'd have a better idea where to start anyway.

those chow halls used to be a lot more revolutionary when it was the military feeding the military instead of neoliberalized to contractors

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i think this shift is extremely important

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

You're absolutely right. I was just suddenly hit with how much it's changed

in Basic in '09 everyone made fun of the guy that was in waste disposal but he may very well have been the last person paid by the government to ensure your water is clean

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

because even the generals mostly understand what privatization actually means.

i think this is loving insane. generals are going to get theirs and that's the way it has been. do you have a feifdom to offer them? if not, don't theorize.

i thnk this dynamic means very serious trouble for very normal people

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

crepeface posted:

yeah, a sweet position on the board of raytheon or as a talking head on TV

yeah regulatory capture is a thing and I don't see generals fighting it at all

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lumpentroll posted:

anyway trump ftw

many volks are saying this

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i was at my weekly social with the local fash groups and they said that too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

thechosenone posted:

Skull.gif in the DoomEcon thread made me think of the comparative wealth inequality of France vs now. Given how much money has to go into an American worker, how would we manage that level of inequality? Is it even possible in the west without basically having to return to similar levels of tech or basically turning into a pure extraction economy that just buys everything from places like China to sidestep the lack of willingness to invest in the production of the tools themselves?

yeah i mean that basically tracks. people that would be on an assembly line with stable hours, benefits, social life, community, are instead dragged into the ubersphere to serve their betters

that hollowing-out is pretty much why we'll be conquered, eventually