Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
yeah it’s just a blog now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Bilirubin posted:

spiritual STDs

thats what u get from reading this thread too much

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

euphronius posted:

how do I find my local shaman ?

jail

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i'll believe the usg has an 'intact' et ship when we see it. sorry imo that requires more than some random government dude saying so. lue elizondo was a 'real' government employee too and he says all sorts of unbelievable poo poo these days

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lol

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

as an aside of course they talk about Stanford Professor garry nolan in that article. like, i have zero doubt there's a materials scientist you could go talk to that would love to see a uap crash. but no, we're giving these materials to a loving pathologist

give me a break

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

D-Pad posted:

It's because he has invented several unique analysis methods and technologies and they had already worked with him on the havana syndrome stuff. Once you are "in" they are more likely to use you in the future instead of bringing yet another person into the circle. Plus I am sure they've had plenty of material scientists in the black programs looking over the years.

analysis of a human pathology is not remotely the same as figuring out whether a material is extraplanetary

SKULL.GIF posted:

My friend has been maintaining that we tripped some sort of nuke alert back in the 40s and that's what sparked all the ET activity. Timeline seems to match up here:

the issue with that is that sort of signal would still propagate at light speed

if ets were to come here it’s because they looked from afar and found oxygen and poo poo, not some tech development

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

i think this is assuming a lot of things that the subject at hand demands we do not assume

no it isn’t/doesn’t. there’s plenty of perfectly good explanations for aliens that don’t require magic sensor tech, including random parked probes that we can’t detect that have been waiting and watching, as mentioned above

D-Pad posted:

Nolan has invented several proprietary analysis machines/methods etc (that aren't specifically for human pathology)

really? what sort of description of this technology is there? because his paper that got published merely reviews basic materials analysis. and mass spec is hardly innovative analysis.

rather than partner with experts he wants to invent materials analysis from first principles and it’s stupid

none of this speaks to his bio research which is very cool and good btw

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Tekne posted:

cum wash your despair, bitterness, and doubts away in the holy waters of disclosure

cum wash: alien technology to clean all those stains

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

ahaha ofc all the grifters come running

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

D-Pad posted:

The only person I want less to be President when first contact happens than Joe Biden is Donald Trump. Either would be an absolute disaster but I guess Trump would have some real dark comedy involved we could laugh at before we get vaporized when he grabs the alienussy.

Lol if their first act to prove their benevolence was reversing Biden's aging by twenty years.

hey there corn pop, let me introduce you to the most famous of earth delicacies: a vanilla cone

ets, mumbling among themselves: "oh my god it's frozen mammalian mammary secretions. that they eat." *gagging sounds*

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

antarctica by virtue of having to manage the tunnel into the hollow earth

does it count as a country

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Demon Of The Fall posted:

god I hope Xi pops out of the top hatch of a UFO on Fox News

absolutely funniest possible timeline

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

E Depois do Adeus posted:

This and eating meat is a big part of it, I say as someone who constantly fails meatless monday

Expected cost of disclosure finally outweighed by expected cost of climate and social collapse

If there's the possibility of aliens saving us you're less likely to take a shot at an oil exec, and same

maybe theyre actually adventurous eater looking for the next thrill
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxI7B758XBQ

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lol ew, kennedy

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Hooplah posted:

the extraterrestrial community lmao

also lolled at that

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

The files trump took and bragged about and showed to others were about ufos. 100%

And that case is coming to a head, the leak from a court filing is inevitable.

That's probably how they knew he took stuff in the first place was his bragging. Like, some mar-a-lago member saw the ufo files and emailed a 3-times removed friend they met at a party once to brag or for confirmation and the friend still worked for the gov and was like, "whaaa?".

i’m not so sure, at least some of them were related to the president of france lol. i think he really did not like macron.

spacemang_spliff posted:

this is what i'm hoping for

i don’t appreciate you posting pics of me online

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

if there's one that can find us, no reason there wouldn't be more than 1

in fact, exactly 1 alien species is probably the weirdest outcome

yeah sorry technological life only arose twice within the current span of deep time, thems the breaks

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Riot Bimbo posted:

I haven't quite figured out the "pure-strain capitalist mode of thought" rationale for intentionally breaking products that worked,

they’re just worried because new hotnesses keep taking market share and they need to make what money they can or figure out what people want and they mostly do this by throwing spaghetti at the wall

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

my bony fealty posted:

im homo naledi

im homo homo

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

it would be far more interesting if any theoretical extra terrestrials had visited here for a long time and took samples every time. dinosaur dna! pictures of earth before fungi! etc

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

that 4chan dude really made it too unrealistic too early by talking about psionics lol

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Google Butt posted:

if we are to believe the 4chan larp, what I've been saying for years is true, it will be trivial to sock up a grey. not too worried tbh.

lmao there are too many posts who want to come out and say that garbage is real but give themselves plausible deniability

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

the 4chan larp has a 2 day gap when Grusch was interviewed by Coalthart.

whatttttttttttttttttttttttt

god drat it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

the yellow ones are my favourite

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Ms Adequate posted:

unlike me, i got a small dick from the hrt :smug: (I got abducted and the alien probe made me TRANS!)

seems reasonable for any trans galactic civ to do

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

endocriminologist posted:

I don't trust any of these fuckers I'm just here to vibe

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Hooplah posted:

honestly i find her approach to the subject (the grey zone between cutting edge physics sci fi and pseudoscience) to be a little clickbait-y and usually a little too self-assured. and she's been going pretty far outside her supposed expertise with videos on stuff like neurodivergence and trans kids. kinda turns me off

yeah her physics videos are variable from okay to great. she likes role-playing as a physics outsider boogedy-boo though (“everyone’s mad at me for my refusal to follow the mainstream!”) and this colours a lot of her content. everything else suffers from “i have a phd so i’m good at everything” disease and her analysis of social issues and understanding whether the papers are good is, to be charitable, poor

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Demon Of The Fall posted:

make Guy Fieri Ambassador to Earth

we’re taking e t to flavourtown

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

gonna smoke that loud with ET

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Spergin Morlock posted:

masturbation accident

who amongst us

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Everything being made to order sure would explain why there are like 50 different common shapes

why assume it’s all one alien race

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Spergin Morlock posted:

they could infer it based on the fact that our sun emits light predominantly at those wavelengths

yeah perhaps aliens across the galaxy all evolved vision primarily along the local stellar gradient

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

mdemone posted:

you have no idea how bright stars are in ultraviolet and higher

you see visible colors based on the atmosphere of Earth

yeah i know. i assume that aliens who can travel interstellar distances probably also understand their own visual system and perhaps make similar assumptions here and are able to conduct tests

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

mdemone posted:

I'm thinking more like they may not know or care what their visual system is.

no reason at all to assume they are aware of the concept of physical annihilation of the self, because the self is a human brain model.

they may be way more confused than us, honestly.

i know this is the thread where people expound mostly about sci-fi stuff but i generally feel like they’re probably going to be more like us than not should they, as a biological race, exist and come to earth

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

mdemone posted:

you can't measure the brain response to retinas vibrating under visible light unless you can somehow decode the brain response itself

okay that's a bad sign. have to admit it.

they can also look at what we make and make some inferences

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

gpt is fun and cool but it definitely ain’t anything close to a superintelligence

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Spergin Morlock posted:

AGI is a long way off lol

i think something approximating agi is perhaps going to arrive sooner than we think. i don't think it's going to be "life" in any meaningful capacity though, and i think the two concepts get conflated really often

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

we always assume aliens are gonna be weirded out by eating meat but what if their planet is only meat and they think salads are a moral perversion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

spacemang_spliff posted:

like their planet is made of meat?

well i was thinking more along the lines of meat lovers central where only meat evolved but sure that too i guess