Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Swing State Victim
Nov 8, 2012
Played a game as Brazil getting absolutely absurd numbers of immigrants from European colonies in Africa and native cultures from North America. It fit the theme of a multicultural Brazil embracing its African and Amerindian heritage, but its hard to imagine the circumstances and infrastructure that allow hundreds of thousands of Lacustrine Bantu to cross the Atlantic in 1870. Much less multiple groups doing that.

It’s nice that South America in general is way more interesting than in any other Paradox game. Both Brazil and Gran Colombia can be nearly independent in terms of input goods, but you have to work a bit to get there due to the starting political situations. The few things you can’t get the neighbors have and can be taken by diplomacy or force. The biggest challenge was bootstrapping fast enough to support all the immigrants I ended up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swing State Victim
Nov 8, 2012
Is the flu pandemic journal broken right now? I feel like I’m missing something. The quarantine options make it seem like it’s supposed to get less deadly with successive waves and gradually improve. It’s struck the same state at least 4 times with no change in any of the modifiers.

This is on a playthrough of the Divergences mod, so idk if that’s also affecting it.

Swing State Victim
Nov 8, 2012

Koorisch posted:

Can someone tell me a bit about Companies and which of them are solid picks that give benefits that actually matter?

The generic steel company available to everyone probably has the strongest prosperity bonus in the game. It gives 10% state construction efficiency and is relatively easy to get as it only needs a level 6 or higher steel mill.

If you have a lot of gold, the generic gold one gives 5% minting and is fairly easy to activate. Can very strong for places like Brazil or Australia who can use the extra cash early to bootstrap harder.

In general though, I feel like the strongest bonuses are often throughput and especially construction efficiency from the company itself. Knocking 1/3 off the construction time of logging camps or iron mines early on can have really strong snowball effects later.

Swing State Victim
Nov 8, 2012
The new Red Scare journal entry triggered in 1890 when Costa Rica (with one battalion and no ships) became the vanguard of communism as the first and only council republic in the world. My trade unions don’t even have enough clout to do anything and yet random events keep radicalizing my capitalists. I can’t decide if this is insanely unrealistic or insanely realistic.

Swing State Victim
Nov 8, 2012

Thanqol posted:

From the new patch:

Instantly Prussia launched another unification play, truce be damned. It did this 3-4 times in a row locking our nations into an eternal hellwar. I think this is because they're activating the unification play through a button rather than the normal wardec mechanics.

I’ve noticed the same thing in my game where communist Germany and capitalist France are the two leading industrial powers and eternally stalemated over the Saarland. It has also resulted in AI Germany getting almost 100 infamy from instantly repeating the unification plays every time they white peace.

Probably should just prevent unification plays if you have a truce with anyone who owns a relevant state.

Swing State Victim
Nov 8, 2012

RabidWeasel posted:

Is there some issue with naval landings, I had Russia try to naval land on me to open up a new front (cool and smart AI play!) but the naval landing never actually generated any battles and the Russian navy eventually left like a year later. As far as I understand it their troops should have started fighting mine to make a beachhead.

Paradox confirmed there’s a couple bugs with naval invasions where defeated fleets can redeploy almost immediately before fully repairing or recovering manpower. This might be what was blocking the invasion.

Swing State Victim
Nov 8, 2012

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Also I really wish there was just a tooltip that slaps me in the face about Standard of Living. Over half my states have the little notification at the top of the screen saying 30%+ of the pops are below minimum in (state). I go to the state and all three stratas are well above the minimum. So what the gently caress is the problem here? Overall Germany is +1600 on Grain, +400 on clothes, and +600 on furniture but those are their biggest gripes apparently despite the prices being cratered for all three.

Low standard of living despite cheap goods is probably an issue with low wages. I’ve most often seen this in my states where literacy is high (which boosts expected SOL), but automation PMs haven’t been switched on. That combination of things means you might have a ton of literate laborers. Laborer is the lowest paying job that isn’t a literal peasant. Turning on automation PMs and building more manufacturing will shift pops into better paid jobs and boost SOL.

Less likely, but a similar issue might happen with farmers if you have really unproductive farms. Farmers have the lowest wage for a middle class job, so they’re the most likely to be underpaid. Can’t really be fixed by automation, but by increasing demand.

You may also need to build some local basic goods production to lower local prices in certain areas. Even if your market overall has over supply, local prices for basic goods can be relatively high if they aren’t actually produced locally in high pop states.

Swing State Victim fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 24, 2023

Swing State Victim
Nov 8, 2012
You can move towards diplo annexing subjects with demands to lower autonomy. There’s multiple steps that each trigger a truce. Once they reach puppet I think, you can do a play to annex. At each step they can refuse, which will trigger a full diplo play. Their likelihood to accept is based on army size, opinion of you (more positive is better) and I think a few other things. It’ll tell you before you launch the demand how likely they are to accept.

Mexico is probably too big to annex peacefully, but maybe if you get big enough.

Swing State Victim
Nov 8, 2012
Some buildings are more sensitive to price volatility than others. This is mainly because they have a narrower profit margins between the base input good prices and the base output prices. Steel mills are one of these which is why they become unprofitable so easily if over built. In general agriculture buildings are the least sensitive because they have basically no inputs except labor until you turn on the automation PMs.

Overall in of simple output goods - input goods it goes something like agriculture > basic industrial resources > tools and consumer goods > finished industrial goods (railways/electricity/motors) > steel/explosives in terms of how resilient buildings are to price changes. Labor costs will complicate this a little bit because more advanced industrial buildings usually have more high paying jobs. This makes motor industries for example still pretty sensitive to price fluctuations.

So for steel you generally want to match your demand or be slightly under supplied to keep them profitable and able to stay employed if input or labor costs go up. Whereas for something like basic clothes you can easily get them to -20-30% prices and still have them fairly profitable.

Military good are kinda their own category since you usually subsidize them if you can.

Swing State Victim
Nov 8, 2012

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Flipping on electricity isn't a simple process, huh? Jesus.

Not at all. For me it’s probably the weakest piece of the building system since the most recent patch. It’s annoying, requires micromanagement in every state, and is fiddly with prices until enough PMs are unlocked to smooth out demand. In most games the tech also unlocks after I’ve exhausted most of my surplus labor, certainly in industrial states where I want the better PMs, so staffing power plants is annoying.

Hopefully they’ll iterate on it some more.

Swing State Victim
Nov 8, 2012
First impression from finishing my Brazil game with the new patch is that migrations are definitely fixed. Hitting Promote European Migration in the late game triggered almost 2 million Southern Italians to migrate. It was big enough that average SoL and literacy dropped for a few years.

Swing State Victim
Nov 8, 2012

Vengarr posted:

For the PMs that reduce the number of workers needed, does the tooltip showing the net efficiency gain include wages saved due to fewer workers? It always shows as a loss to me unless I don’t have enough workers to start with, but in practice it seems like a no-brainer obvious benefit.

Unless labor is extremely short and the new input is cheap, they almost never directly increase profit per individual building. They do increase productivity per worker and allow you to increase your overall profit by building more buildings and stacking economies of scale bonuses. In addition, they almost always cut low paid workers. Once the workers are reemployed, they generally have better jobs with higher wages.

Swing State Victim
Nov 8, 2012
I’ve seen Germany form once in probably 4 games since 1.5. Both France and Austria seem ahistorically strong which I think is a large part of it. I pretty regularly see Austria-Hungary appear before 1860. The diploplay system also doesn’t really do great at simulating Prussia’s actual advantages (for example mobilization speed) because everyone can mobilize so long before actual battle that it doesn’t matter.

Swing State Victim
Nov 8, 2012

Pyromancer posted:

Is subsidizing railways basically mandatory to run economy smoothly? Transportation doesn't seem very profitable even when inputs are cheap and transportation is expensive. But letting them run on their own ends up with them understaffed amidst transportation and infrastructure shortage everywhere.
Also canals, shouldn't they collect transit fees or something? Instead they're just a prestige buff and a shortcut with no discernable way of monetary profit.

Since 1.5 I’ve noticed railways seem to be fine, if a bit tight on profit margins, until the moment a single car appears in your market. Transportation demand from pops shifts pretty heavily to automobiles and from then on it can be difficult to even make railways profitable enough to maintain infrastructure. Turning off the urban center railway PMs can help a bit.

Swing State Victim
Nov 8, 2012

Dayton Sports Bar posted:

I remember being excited for IGs because it sounded like the perfect way to simulate the Irish home rule movement playing kingmaker in British politics, but sadly that's outside the scope of the current mechanics.

One of my favorite instances of minorities not really meshing with the IG system is how the Austrian landowners IG necessarily includes landowners of all ethnicities, so when they revolt against minority rights legislation it's the non-Austrian parts of the empire that valiantly rise up and secede. I guess it's the same thing as those weird American Civil Wars at release due to all landowners in the US getting lumped into the Southern Planters IG.

Similar to what you’re saying, I think they probably need a new system to actually model discrimination. IGs don’t really do it, and I don’t think can ever do it with the current setup, because the main factors connecting pops to IGs are profession and wealth. That can only really capture class even if discrimination does some things at the margins.

I think Imperator’s racism designer might be a good jumping off point for this. They added a decent amount of interaction with cultures and it was impactful in benefits and trade offs.

Swing State Victim
Nov 8, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

What's a good mid sized nation in Asia to play this update? Also while we're at it, last game I was doing pretty good until about halfway through the game I built a ton of construction but my investment pool rapidly dried up and I was stuck with the bill for the whole thing. What's the best remedy for that sort of thing? Might have been very high taxes, or maybe my industry wasn't profitable enough

Korea can be really fun. It’s got basically everything except oil and rubber. Tons of coal and iron in multiple states. You start as a Qing tributary which has pros and cons, but it does mean basically anything you build has infinite demand until the end of time. Once you liberalize you get nearly infinite migration due to how East Asian pops are set up. Then after you’re big enough, you can break free.

Swing State Victim
Nov 8, 2012
I tried a run to form the federation of the Andes, and mechanically it seems weird. I get that it’s intended to be a race to control everything, but it is also a major unification that is locked behind pannationalism. By the time the tech was available to me, multiple countries had already diverged cultures, including my own puppets, sometimes 5-10 years before the tech was done. That made the actual unification play pointless. I may as well have just conquered everything outright from the start, ignoring the unification mechanics entirely.

Swing State Victim fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Dec 14, 2023

Swing State Victim
Nov 8, 2012
Tried Federation of the Andes again as Argentina this time and had a substantially better time knowing how to pace it. Then at the end my reward for forming the federation was losing Platinean as a primary culture. Didn’t really matter by that point, but made me laugh.

You more or less have to run it twice to really succeed, but you do get intermediate rewards for not quite getting all of South America. I wouldn’t really consider a run scuffed by “only” getting Gran Colombia, La Plata or Peru-Bolivia. They are all pretty decent tags in their own right.

Swing State Victim fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 14, 2023

Swing State Victim
Nov 8, 2012
I see where construction in the early game can feel sort of like a trap. It’s mildly annoying in the early game when you have less than 40 total construction because you’re splitting construction awkwardly between private and public queues. Neither can get a full 20 towards a queued building, but often your economy is still too small to support one queue doing all the construction if the other runs out of cash. The private queue often refuses to build useful buildings and can tap itself out building tobacco plantations. It can lead to taking proportionally huge deficits if the investment pool runs out and has to build back up. That said historically accurate and it’s usually not long you’re in that situation. The solution is usually the same: deficit spend for a bit.

Swing State Victim fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swing State Victim
Nov 8, 2012
Iirc pops contribute way more to the investment pool when their building reserves are capped, and investment is already based on profitability. Pulsing construction will cause a double hit your private construction rate. Lack of demand will make wood and especially iron way less profitable and potentially send them into deficit where they start to spend down reserves. Those will be the majority of investment contributions in an industrializing economy, so you want to protect them.