Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Jokic is the MVP and Lebron is the GOAT

Joel Embiid is an MVP in the future INBA (international national basketball assoc) where he is finally able to play his ideal 60 game season while taking long flights at high speed to prevent gravity from eating his bones and also to give him 3 days of jetlag recovery to clear the bad humors in his gut

Zeroisanumber posted:

As a Timberwolves fan it's great to be in the 15th year of our 5 year rebuilding plan.

I'm so excited for Jarret Culver and Josh Okogie to have... 10% swings in their 3P% so they are acceptable 3+D wings. Also to get good at D.

Oh well at least we have our first this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Nikola Jokic is the MVP because he has "The Look"

Players with "The Look" can overcome many things to dominate the game of basketball, but not all things

Players without "The Look" can dominate the game of basketball and have success, but don't do so as a winner - they are passive passengers

Joel Embiid does not have "The Look" and he had it in fact removed by Karl-Anthony Towns, who dominated him in the post and the perimeter and probably also in Fortnite

Steph Curry had one of the greatest shooting seasons of all time and then later had another, he consistently "Scores The Ball" which allows for his team to win games. However, he does not have "The Look" which would have allowed him to freeze pudgy white man Kevin Love in place, instead he has "The Not Look" which allowed Kevin Love to perform the greatest defensive sequence recorded by man

LeBron James has "The Look" and will occasionally funnel it into "Winning Championships" but also likes to take time off (though not enough! he does not work hard like Jimmy and he is not lazy like Klay!) to make Space Jam 2 a financial and critical success as well as launch his podcast network with Barack Obama. Keep your EYES OPEN as he submits name change paperwork to become LeJon Jons

If you see Nikola Jokic NOT winning championships, you should think about the things that he is trying to overcome? What is his real vision? What is his plan? You may notice Michael "Maga" Porter, Jr. is his co-pilot to greatness this year. Nikola is a sage individual and knows that MPJ winning an NBA championship this early in the Biden admin guarantees a Kamala victory in 2024 and stops the ascendancy of Full Communism Now - a thing he can know a priori due to being Serbian - which is essentially the Earth version of being a Saiyan

QED - MVP

Go Bucks - Midwest Solidarity

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

hifi posted:

if you go by the look it's d. book no contest

The Look was way too high on last years suns with Kelly Oubre and Ricky Rubio onboard. Some say it was CP3 coming on that propelled them to the top of the league, others - more intelligent - say that it was D.Book finally being allowed to get "The Look" uninterrupted

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

euphronius posted:

The first and second place guys for 6th man were both from the same team to show you how confused voters have become

When one examines the starting lineup of the Utah Jazz you will need to look into the forbidden realm of stats and numbers.

Bojan Bogdanovic? 45% of 2P assisted and 90% of 3P. He is not a player as much as a manifestation of a greater set of forces (passing, assists, ball movement, energy) - how else could a player on a basketball court score buckets without generating other boxscore stats? He is anomalous! A being outside the physical realms, but clearly effecting it.

Here you will see that Donovan Mitchell is assisted on 15% of 2P and <50% of 3P. Jordan Clarkson? The same. He is the dark mirror of The Spidah. As a dark mirror we see him inextricably linked to The Spidah, a fellow who "starts" the game. A "Man of the 5" as opposed to the "Sixth Man". However, a shadow and a reflection must follow the body everywhere, it is what anchors us within the material. Jordan Clarkson is a starter, as he exists in a constant state of superposition with Donovan Mitchell. But he is also a Sixth Man.

Now we reach Joe Jingles Jinglish Ingles - a man who sits between worlds, he is emergent rather than anomalous. A shot creator, a distributor, a point guard, a forward, a shooter, a playmaker. On the boxscore, he is a starter of many games, and yes he is nominally - in a physical sense only - a "starter". However, he is a man without a position both on the court and in the material world we inhabit, existing in all places at once. We can, at a later time, investigate what we can define his position as (please refer to your readings on Gnosticism) but we can unequivocally state that he is not a "Man" by the standard definition. But I would assume C-SPAM posters are familiar with numerology and the NBA and know that the Sixth Man is defined by his absence at the start of the game (universe) and with Jingles existing in all places at once we must assume that he has some degree of 6th dimensional traversal and thus also can exist at all times (or not exist as is his wont). Thus he is a Sixth Man.

But who, then, is the "Fifth Man" or "Last Starter" who is necessary and present at the genesis of the world-life cycle that is an NBA game? Who provides the last ingredient and spark to create our universe for the Jazz if indeed Jordan Clarkson and Jinglish are Sixth Men who come after the fall and the first logging of the sinful boxscore numbers?

Look into his eyes and see the endless expanse of the moments before - the hours of tape review, practice, gameplanning, cocaine... Quinn Snyder is both the Monad and the Demiurge - the players His Emanations and thus part of His being. Look upon your Fifth Man, and know that there are two Sixth Men.

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

NBA TOP FIVE GOATS ALL TIME

1- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
2- Robert Parrish
3- Tim Duncan
4- John Stockton
5- Karl Malone

This is WITHOUT DISPUTE

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

bill russell has to be top 5 just for labor relations alone

A win against capital only counts as ONE net win. And though Bill Russell won many championships, we have to look at his overall WINS.

However, for sake of this argument, we can count WINS as a coach, just to be fair.

This leaves us with the below as the TOP NBA BASKETBALL PLAYERS OF ALL TIME:

1 - Don Nelson
2 - Lenny Wilkens
3 - GREGG POPOVICH (*ACTIVE AND BALLING OUT)
4 - Jerry Sloan
5 - Pat Riley

If you must know, Bill Russell sits before NBA LUMINARY AND ACTIVE PLAYER: Doc Rivers

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

euphronius posted:

getting destroyed by Tristan Thomason isn’t a great sign for the nets

they’ll probably be fine

I think it's a good sign for the Sixers because if Harris continues playing well Embiid should feast

Lakers big defense is looking horrid, too, but Ayton is a bit different than the other West bigs

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

I'm seeing a whole lot of posters in here that seem to believe stuff like "Jeff Foster is more valuable than Ben Wallace" is controversial... Feels like they don't understand STATISTICS and REGRESSION TO THE MEAN despite claiming to be number heads. Shame

Azathoth posted:

I'm a Wiggins apologist and hope he can find success, but his problem has always been shot selection. Whether that was instilled in him here in Minnesota when his rookie year and most of his second year was basically "no shot is a bad shot" or whether that's just part of his DNA, who knows. To be successful, he pretty clearly needs to be someone who the offense does not flow through and he needs to only tough the ball after a good situation has been set up for him. The Warriors basically represent a best-case scenario for him, since playing a role like what Klay has been playing is not asking him to exercise a lot of discretion in whether he should be shooting, things have already broken down by the time he's getting the ball and he can attack that. That he's not able to be more successful in that situation is a pretty worrying sign.

I was a Wiggins apologist probably up to 18-19. Wiggins is just about in the best situation he can be (it'll be better with Klay to take some gravity next year) and he continues to just make bad plays and shots.

Minnie has been such a poo poo show for so long, it's possible his growth was stunted by the situation, but his contemporaries from the team (Lavine and Towns) improved their shot selection and passing. Wiggins basically didn't change his shot selection until Butler came and that coincided with a league wide shift in shot charts plus him losing the primary scoring role. Should be noted he didn't continue to improve in this area after 17-18, and I think it's telling that he continues to take a shot he's really bad at (long 2s) at pretty much the same rate.

Even his improvement this year I'm worried is a bit of a mirage built on a good 3P% despite not really changing his approach on those shots (though he's got much better passers to find him in his spots).

The consistency in his numbers and improvements of those around him tell me he can't or won't study and learn habits to improve his game, which sucks because he has good tools.

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Azathoth posted:

The thing that always struck me about Wiggins, and again, Wiggins apologist here, is that he doesn't seem to be someone who actually enjoys playing the game of basketball. My read is that he was put on the path he's on now at a very, very young age and all the way through being the #1 pick in the NBA draft and signing an NBA contract for millions, he was getting by on massive natural talent and being pushed to where he needed to be by parents and coaches who could effectively run his life like drill sergeants. Now that he's in the NBA, for the first time in his life, the choice is up to him how much extra time he puts in and so the fact that he really doesn't enjoy playing basketball means that he's not willing to be a gym rat like Zach Lavine. It legit wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't sign another NBA contract and is out of the league by 30, not because he couldn't get a contract or pulled a Sprewell and talked about feeing his kids, but just because he's got "gently caress you" money now and wants to spend his life doing things he actually enjoys.

Yeah, that wouldn't surprise me and honestly I would respect that decision - especially because it means he was given millions from Glen Taylor by just saying "I'll do better" in a paternalistic Papa Glen pep talk. Glad he's now cashing checks from the light-years ahead crew.

If that's the apologia for Wiggins then sign me up as a Wiggins apologist

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

It's because LA and SUPER TEAM and LOYALTY TO THE FANS.

I'll be honest I was a little eye rolly at the LA move but whatever. All but the top guys in the league don't have tons of control over their location and pay, so it's understandable that the top guys will use their leverage to go where they want and get the team they want. I don't fully agree that that's cool and good because usually these moves are predicated on forcing other players to move and impacts their future earnings, which doesn't seem very solidarity imo - but I guess they're also not able to mitigate that in the current league and CBA

As to the injury thing, I don't know if it ever really got explained what was going on and that's fine. Wasn't it some degenerative thing in his hip / quad and that's why he continues to need load management? I think some of that ambiguity (which was probably amplified by owners and media) might explain fan negativity, since it's sports and you know... Toughness and telling your body NOT TODAY mindset

That said Kawhi is fine. Boring and honestly just as corny as most of the stars with the few public moments that have been out there (his personal brand logo thing). No reason to hate him beyond being an LA super team super villain

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Yossarian-22 posted:

penny hardaway jr. was the mavs second best player and they took a better team to 7 is the point

Luka/Penny should not be comparable to Kawhi/George yet it was???????

C'mon math nerd, the equation is simple.

Loss=Star cannot play defense
Win=Star scoring and assist directly caused win

This is what we need to know to realize that Rudy Gobert can never win on his own but also Luka can never win because he's not a dominant defender.

You doubt? Well Rudy Gobert is in the second round with his TEAM, and Luka is going home ALONE

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

You all seem confused, even the progenitor of Basketball New Science. This is fine, even the Immortal Science needed Lenin and Mao to refine it.

Let us quote Nietzsche:

Nietzsche posted:

My idea is that every specific body strives to become master over all space and to extend its force (its will to power) and to thrust back all that resists its extension. But it continually encounters similar efforts on the part of other bodies and ends by coming to an arrangement ("union") with those of them that are sufficiently related to it: thus they then conspire together for power. And the process goes on

Explained thus, let us extent the will to power to Steph Curry.

Mr Curry is a truly transcendental scorer by the stats. His "True Shooting" (a naive name for an abstracted mathematical concept) is equivalent or better to those of the "dip-n-dunk" shooters of DeAndre Jordan and Rudy Gobert, but he shoots from far and with volume. This is true. However, does he extend the force of his scoring power AGAINST all which resists his extension (the opposing team, his lesser skilled teammates)? The answer is NO - resoundingly. He is unable to create union with his colleagues and allies, and unable to extend his power to DOMINATE the opposing team (play-in fake playoffs, QED)

LUKA is of course the antithesis to Mr Curry, as he can extend his power to his allies and enemies - see his ability to elevate Tim Hardaway, Jr, a player so secondary that he cannot even be the first of his name. He his, however, unable to extend that power to DOMINATE his opponents into submission (a truly strong individual can exert their will to improve the whole team's defense, see the +/- posts if you need math and numbers for your STEM brain).

Both SCORE, Mr Curry at higher rates and better efficiency, but one FORMS A UNION (no need to define why this is good) with his teammates, and NEITHER can truly extend their will to power to DOMINATE and subsume their foes (no ring this year)

Hope this helps and we can get back to focusing on the phenomenology of The Look

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

Saw this on reddit and now I'm a huge Nets guy

Love da Nets

100% this post cursed the Bucks cuz they're playing like God hates them

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Win shares are stupid you can't share a win! That's like downloading a car. Illegal and immoral

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

vyelkin posted:

Joe Harris went from -2 net wins last season to +24 net wins this season. Wow, Most Improved Player!

Actually that's Kevin Durant who only took Ls in the previous season and now is racking up Ws. Who is Joe Harris? Is this a politics joke? If so, I agree, "Joe Harris" is a much better player than Kamala Harris or Joe Biden on their own. For democracy.

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

The votes are in and your philosophy is defeated, so it's time to discuss the new metric "Wins Conserved"

Steph Curry couldn't win 50 games without Klay, Nets with Kyrie were not world beaters, and Lakers without AD were out of the playoffs (and now defeated in round one)

Nikola Jokic on the other hand was able to keep the Nuggets stable and on the same if not similar track to last year without Jamal Murray, who scored 30+ points multiple times in last year's playoffs and was set to be an All Star based on the reporting. This conservation of wins shows that Nikola Jokic is the MVP by elevating and amplifying the skills of his counterparts.

see the evolution of MPJ, Monte, Facu, and Howard next to the powerful Jokic... Total scrubs elevated. A talent unseen since prime Lebron

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Yossarian-22 posted:

In the past three games, Chris Paul has 38 assists and 2 turnovers

Chris Paul is the greatest point guard of all time and the best player of the past 15 years sans Lebron. idgaf that he has no rings

This is absolutely correct and also he's a wonderful villain doing legendary heel moves like getting dudes called for fouls on untucked jerseys.

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

Basically they need the career 42% three point shooters on the Nets to continue hitting only 25% of their shots to have a chance of winning four games.

Giannis feels like a solved problem for even the Nets defense. Has been for years now in terms of the postseason.

Yeah he really needs to unfuck his shot or go to a shot doctor at this point because the game he plays works well until the postseason when teams specifically plan around his weaknesses. There's a whole catalogue of videos out there with Youtube Analysts pointing out how he hosed up his shot

If you take a volume of shots, you really can't be both a bad shooter and have a bad FT%, otherwise there's nothing stopping a proper game plan forming around "hard fouls near the rim".

Bud appears to be a bad coach, though, and can't figure out a plan to work around these deficiencies, either.

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Yossarian-22 posted:

1. blocks and steals
2. defensive plus-minus
3. many such cases

you rant and rave about imaginary people playing fantasy basketball even though it's like the least popular fantasy sport. also nba.com lists the top players in terms of fantasy points and nikola vucevic is #5 and domantas sabonis is #9 in 2021 but i don't hear anyone sing their praises

also if jokic was so bad on d then ayton should have done a lot more than he did. he was way more effective against the lakers. as it stands i think jokic is maybe average on d

Jokic is a weird but effective defender, probably average or slightly above average overall though because of some obvious holes in his game (can't jump very well, doesn't set his hips well for good pivots to help). He is effective because he's got very good hands which he - now famously - uses to slap at the ball. He's beefy and holds position well so his man can't power through him, and the active hands prevent fancy post moves. However, he doesn't really jump or hard contest shots. He's also limited to mostly defending 5s and slower 4s.

He's never going to get an all-defense team vote, nor will he be the anchor of an elite defense. He's basically the polar opposite of Gobert in that you can plug him in to make a great offense but he'll need the right pieces around him to make a good defense. Unfortunately those pieces are solid point-of-attack defenders, which Denver doesn't have at all. Their best player in that department is probably Facu.

euphronius posted:

lmao did you see Chris Paul’s numbers ? that was all jokic being horrible

I know its your gimmick, but there's 8 other players on the floor outside CP3+Jokic and neither of them would be able to defend the other effectively. In your basketball Theory of Everything, is a player's offensive output solely dependent on the defense of the other team's best player? Is Rudy Gobert a bad defender because his teams have been consistently roasted by Harden, CP3, Ja Morant, Steph Curry, Westbrook and Jamal Murray in the playoffs? Who is responsible for Devin Booker's shooting getting worse and Jae Crowder's getting better? Does the play of Austin Rivers, whose own father - a HOF coach - thinks he is bad at basketball, factor into the play of CP3?

I don't feel like this Great Man Theory of Basketball is very well thought out, unless there is only one MVP each year and they must be a member of the NBA Championship team. In which case, I'm going to ask that you seriously reconsider the contributions of Wardell Stephen Curry II, unanimous MVP of the league. Unlike Rudy Gobert, who's contributions seem to have zero determining effect on his squad's success, Steph Curry is provably the key determining factor in Warriors victories based on the team's win and loss record compared to his contributions!

e: Forgot to add that Rudy Gobert's Jazz are also being roasted by perennial playoff underperformer and failure Paul George, which seems like something the DPOY would take care of easily!

Telluric Whistler fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jun 15, 2021

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

The 76ers are NOT the holder of the Hidden MVP

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

euphronius posted:

whoever asked “what will the sixers do ?”

⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️ https://twitter.com/tomhaberstroh/status/1406803883121381379?s=21

he gone

Yeah, I felt like the game was done when he was under the basket with a free dunk and decided to... panic pass to Thybulle?

He's as broken if not more so than Fultz at this point. He looks like zero confidence in his abilities to do ANYTHING offensively right now.

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Yossarian-22 posted:

76ers make me sad. Nets injuries made me sad. This season is sad. Hopefully Chris Paul gets a ring

CP3 is an annoying poo poo but he is the Point God and I want him to get a ring.

This would also make my recent Arizona transplant brother happy.

Stevie Lee posted:

he's gonna switch hands and solve all his problems.

this is worse than Markelle ever was

/insert twitter_thread_ben_simmons_right_hand

Yeah, it's pretty mind-blowing to see a guy passing up dunks and layups when he's freaking 6'11". He needs like a whole team of clinical psychologists and shot doctors to unfuck his shot, but it's evident that he HAS a good shot form that comes out from time to time.

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

hifi posted:

Those refs lol

Me: Easy dunk! No way he passes this up!

Narrator: He passed the ball

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

euphronius posted:

the hawks tanked as much as the sixers

the league hating the sixers for tanking has always rang hollow for me.

Sam Hinkie pissed off agents and other owners, which is the realest sin.

ATL had a racist GM and terribad team but they played nice with players who wanted out and backed up dump trucks for Gallo and Bogdanovic

So the league definitely let ATL get away with more tanking (and they have backed off on the Sixers since they too backed up dump trucks and made nice with agents and owners)

Trae Young gets a lot of calls by forcing contact. This has been a thing forever but has been perfected in this era because defenders are often closing out or slipping a screen and you can force more calls. However, everyone knows this and if you're not trying to get foul calls this way you are doing NBA Chivalric Codes and you are a nerd loser.

Unfortunately Joel Embiid also gets a tremendous amount of foul calls. In ten LESS games this year he had 2 total more FTs than Trae. If he didn't have injury issues and need rest he gets 700+ FTA, over 120 more than the next guy on the list.

Tonight, Trae Young and Joel Embiid were sitting near their season average for FTA, then Trae got 4 extra because the Sixers had to foul him to get possession back.

What I'm saying is Kevin Heurter, the inheritor of the Matt Bonner New Balance NBA Face of the Game, killed your team because Thybulle slapped him on the head - which is a foul.

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

euphronius posted:

you can’t match up FTA and say it was even there not how it works

I won't do any more math than that as it is statistics, which are a lie

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

I will not stand slander of cartels and organized criminal enterprises like the referees. If you removed them from this environment they could harm actual people.

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Time posted:

this q-anon nba thread rules. when are we storming the league office euphronius

Is the NBA equivalent of mole children like... The conspiracy against Jimmer Fredette or something?

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

euphronius posted:

I’m close to agreeing NOP is the second Good Team in the West, but I’m very unsure about their center position.

they are a team to watch tho

JV is fine since they have really great wing and guard defense and Giannis and Embiid play in the East.

Nance inevitably gets hurt at some point, but if he's healthy in the playoffs he can cover JV in most matchups that give him trouble.

Ayton probably is the only C that JV would really struggle with (Nurkic is always fouling), but Phoenix can't really deal with Zion because they got no Beefy Boys without Jae.

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

euphronius posted:

wow nice tweet.

what do you think it is saying

Trying to argue that the Warriors shoot better with Steph on the floor, but that seems pretty dumb. Curry plays a lot of minutes when they Warriors want to lead or score points, and when they want to rest starters with a lead he sits and of course the bad players come out.

Jordan Poole is basically the same as Curry, there will be no change to the team with Curry taking a rest.

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

euphronius posted:

more evidence Halliburton is the secret mvp ??

Tyrese is really good and could definitely be an MVP player soon. I'd argue if Indy pulls a rabbit out of a hat and somehow gets a top 5 seed he might even have a case this year.

He makes everyone around him better and is also a top tier self-creator, but probably needs to either score a bit more or elevate his defensive game to be an MVP!

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

euphronius posted:

no I don’t think that is the case at all

I think if he were taller that would help. being tall + passing is the game breaker. hell it’s breaking the entire league.

Good point. I think he'll be stuck in the Chris Paul zone, which makes sense because he is taller than Chris Paul but not taller than some other basketball players.

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Yossarian-22 posted:

AD both did and didn't work. schrodinger's lakers

westbrook move was one of the worst gm decisions of all time second only to harden demanding that houston trade cp3 for him

So unbelievably dumb seeing as the Lakers were less than a year removed from winning it all (bubble or no) with Kuz and KCP as their #3/4 options. It was a team that could've been built around defense, but they shot like poo poo when getting knocked out by the suns so it was time to trade for... A guy who just shot 44% in the regular season and 33% in a playoff loss?

The Lakers immediately went from top 3-5 defense in the league to one of the worst defenses in the league, but I guess they scored a few more points lol

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

fart simpson posted:

the nba doesnt allow people to play defense anymore

And now we see Luka and Jokic ascending? Sabonis in top 5r of WS? Yeah... This is what you get when there's no defense, only colonialism

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

indigi posted:

yeah it's like Manning setting the TD record after they banned defense in 2004

or like Drew Brees going to the HoF over garbage time padding

Drew Brees isn't even 6 feet tall, can you even call him an athlete?

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Yossarian-22 posted:

euph magic has sabonis with 13/8/4 at half time. thank you

Giannis is also tall and European and passes. 55/10/7. Euph really making it happen tonight.

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

euphronius posted:

pretty good lineup

Josh Okogie has been unleashed outside the shackles of Minnesota. If Ant leaves we are getting prime Kobe point totals from him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

I grant Philly permission to free Ant from Minnesota, even though I like watching him wear the dog logo