Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

euph double vindicated on the relative value of both nikola jokic and draymond green whoda thunk.

i admit a few days ago i was laughing at the idea draymond deserved mvp consideration. draymond deserved the all-star starting spot, but he's been already and he's got other irons in the fire with his TNT gig. passing the spot to the younger 2-way rebounder who deserved to be rewarded for taking the covid booster and shoring up forwards for when the vet has to sit, that's savvy.

klay thompson being able to switch on to 4s and 5s defensively gives the small lineup it's spice, but the consensus for nearly a decade now is that green is the field general calling the switches. communication is the most concrete form of positive intangible basketball quality that stats don't pick up and draymond green never shuts up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

ben simmons is selfish, not a team player.

purple and safety orange, upstaging your uniformed colleagues before you even play a single game. i didn't hate him before but i hate him now.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

It baffles me that the league divides Player of the Week and Player of the Month honors into East and West Conference, but not the MVP.

If there is to be a unified league wide MVP, voting should definitely occur after the Finals, after the best teams actually meet in decisive head-to-heads.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

Congrats to Al Horford on his new Dunkin' Donuts ad deal

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

I'm not sure I believe Trae Young is twice as bad a defender as James Harden is, and I definitely don't believe Kevin Durant is just neutral okay on defense.

Derrick White yeah whatever

euphronius posted:

thank you Nate silver.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

Man Musk posted:

So moving on to next season...

New Orleans Pelicans got a chance, don't they??

They had a good chance this year, but McCollum and Valanciunas are turning 30 next year so spin the wheel whether they stay healthy. Williamson is a rebounding monster from what I remember so their defense should improve as well.

But I'm also expecting the Nuggets, Grizzlies, Clippers and Lakers to all get better, and of the competitive West teams I'm expecting that only the Jazz are going to break apart and sell so I.D.K.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

euphronius posted:

Steph is no longer the most overrated player in the nba so at least he has that going for him now

euphronius posted:

I’d have curry 5th on the warriors

you could convince me he’s 6th

NBA Sixth Man of the Year :cheerdoge:

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

TO BE FAIR the warriors won ONE title by employing MORE THAN ONE notorious center, one of whom happened to infamously, in an act of instinctual desperation, dangerously defend a high-impact three point play which as a result, very unfortunately, INVOLVED

euphronius posted:

injuring Kawhi Leonard

for many years, ending a true basketball dynasty.

but The Klaw got his ring eventually and the rules were changed, happy ending :) :) :)

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

lebron was a big deal back then...

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

Time posted:

I think all the years count

:coronatoot:

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

skipmyseashells posted:

nope, one dirk ring has more value than both the KD warrior rings, this is a newly created excuse invented by golden state fans so they can pretend 2016 wasn’t that bad

so we pretend *2007 wasn't that bad

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

calendar year 2007 golden state warriors went 48-43

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

I want Kevin Durant to play on the Golden State Warriors next Thursday. Do you not want Kevin Durant to play for your favorite team?

There was a time where I wasn't so sure: give up Harrison Barnes, Andrew Bogut, and Marresse Speights?

euphronius posted:

I think my brain has always been broken

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

is kevin durant not a superman?

the celtics are good at basketball

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

the regular season is important so you get to meet the celtics when 10th best player in the eastern conference Derrick White is on paternity leave

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

LastInLine posted:

lebron baited him into it, that's just using everything at your disposal to win. I was pulling for the dubs that year too but I'll give credit where it's due.

it's exactly the type of maneuver draymond would make too if situation was mirrored. getting suspended is a skill issue.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

Jeff Van Gundy definitely has covid right?

I liked his announcing tonight with lower energy and the stuffed nose, but that simply cannot be safe, courtside in Florida, especially just before the Finals (on ABC). After the Butler three point attempt to take the lead in the fourth quarter he said if you want to live by that shot you have to be willing to die by that shot and in my own ears I could feel the unsaid weight of, "is that a metaphor, Jeff? Or...?"

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

Derrick White may in fact be the tenth most valuable player in the Eastern Conference, behind Big Al.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

Jayson Tatum was so loving pitiful tonight and Draymond Green was even worse.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

ref sucks green sucks smart sucks

Pohl posted:

Wiggins and Looney won this game

biggest difference between game 3 and game 4 was that the warriors front court matched the celtics on boards

Vox Nihili posted:

Curry ain't washed

Dray maybe

But not Curry

klay's defense sealed the deal in the 4th, i still want him taking those open reload three attempts after the turnovers and steals he creates but it was heartbreaking to feel an average player could have gotten easy free throws off twos when the lead was that close.

green's passing got a little better in the 3rd. gary payton ii looked so much more athletic and dangerous, forced the celts to sacrifice when they double steph. green doesn't have to retire, but kerr and green need to consider that payton also be that glue guy and NOT GOOSE EGG THE ENTIRE FIRST HALF. boston have a scheme that makes it twice as difficult for steph to work when green is met by time lord williams and big al horford.

TDepressionEarl fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jun 11, 2022

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

fraud league washed champs

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

:ca: :smuggo:

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

skipmyseashells posted:

twolves had wiggins lavine and kat and still couldn’t make it work somehow

wolves defense sucks poo poo

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

fart simpson posted:

whats up with goons calling everyone that loses a fraud? only one team ends up winning

i picked it up off of twitter. very f unny world outlook to me that even charles barkley can be considered a failure and other such f words.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

timelord robert williams iii and al horford and jaylen brown deserved better than jayson tatum this series.

marcus smart shot better than i expected but he did not contain the perimeter, nor did he win fouls and score bonus shots, in the manner of an awarded man.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

adding a healthy all-star guard to the nuggets as constructed last year should be a title contender. the sixers should also add an all-star guard.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

Stevie Lee posted:

who's the All-Star guard the nuggets are adding? Jamal Murray has never been and probably never will be an all-star if that's who you mean

and Tyrese Maxey was already as good as or possibly better than current Jamal Murray in only his second season

Correct may never be an All-Star because Ja Morant, LaMelo Ball, and Karl Anthony-Towns may crowd out him out of the young squad; but I personally maintain Jamal Murray was worthy of an All-Star slot over Ben Simmons in 2021 before he got injured. I expect Maxey and Murray to be more valuable in 2022-23 than Harden and Simmons, both of whom the All-Star guard dig was directed at.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

Luka Doncic doesn't even count as young anymore, now that he's been in the conference finals he has to carry that franchise on his shoulders until he demands a trade in 2025 when he will be 26.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

I think Paul George and Kawhi Leonard are both fantastic players that can still win a title or two but not together. Let's get the Deal Zone moving, let's get nuts. I miss the Paul George MVP candidate that died when Damian Lillard killed the Thunder.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

euphronius posted:

PG was really good in the 21 playoffs iirc

A very fine 2021 playoffs, but I suppose I expected the combination of a healthy Leonard and George to win those early series more decisively, and I definitely expected them to beat Phoenix in the conference finals. Forgot how Chris Paul went off in that Game 6.

Maybe the Clippers ought to move out of that secondhand crypt and into the Forum for a year before the Ballmer Dome is built so they can have a real home court when it matters most.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

the truth is probably that depth matters and you need a real 5 to go all the way but that's boring

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

indigi posted:

a different arena isn’t gonna make there be a passionate Clippers fan base. I know there’s some of yall out there, I’m friends with a guy who has a partial season ticket plan, but that ain’t their city and it never will be

their city is a city of starfuckers and starfuckers go where the stars go

but what are the chances the Lakers squander LeBron a third time

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

in baseball, they do arbitration where the team bids a total they want to pay and the player bids a higher total they want to receive. a third party finance/auction/lawyer firm is given a deadline to either one of those two bids by a deadline, which encourages the player and team to negotiate a number between the two bids.

here i think the indiana pacers have acted as the third party.

not quite fair to the player d.ayton because the pacers are also a team that have an interest in keeping the price lower, but it is the maximum he will get in the restricted market.

good chance the drama may have been amplified in the wake of a multi-faceted and traumatic playoff loss, time closes the wound even if it still hurts. maybe he still moves before the next trade deadline but i think the suns were the only team allowed to give him the 5 year supermax, and i think there are also only so many teams that can take on a rookie supermax even if they have cap space.

something special about the rookie supermax compared to the veteran supermax.

:kstare: idk im stoned now bc im bored with this humdrum deal zone.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

euphronius posted:

he can’t be traded for a year iirc.

he wasn’t eligible for a super max

i thought it was just he can't be traded to the team that made the offer. and that the player can veto a trade to any other team.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

ok and "super" means something different even tho phx was the only team that could make an offer on the 5th year

so what does indiana gain for shrinking their trade opportunities and waiving four players to make the offer at all? if indiana had made more cap room could they have offered more? were there other avenues to sweeten the offer like incentive clauses or riders?

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

indigi posted:

they don’t though. yall had Blake CP3 and Deandre and nobody cared even a little bit

I am not a Clippers fan, I'm an Oakland Athletics fan that sympathizes with the little brother franchise held back by decades of feckless ownership. I never thought Chris Paul or DeAndre Jordan were great enough to be considered a star that transcends the sport into wider recognition, and Blake Griffin only approached that by schmoozing with comedians and jumping over a car like Kobe.

The Clippers were and are their regular season record: third place at best.

I was surprised when Chris Paul became a fundamental pillar of a fairly successful Suns team, because I thought his Rockets and Thunder teams simply weren't good enough especially on defense. I wasn't surprised when DeAndre Jordan did not help the Nets become a super team, but I was surprised when Blake Griffin on the Nets just blended into the wallpaper. DeAndre is a useful starting role player at the biggest position which allowed Blake to be bigger at power forward, in the same way DeMarcus Cousins and Dwight Howard allowed Anthony Davis to play in his comfort zone.

Paul George was signed to attract Kawhi Leonard. I respect the hell out of Kawhi Leonard. He is a basketball legend, and when he is active, often the best defender in the league. Kawhi Leonard is not a movie star.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

if you were to make an NBA mt rushmore whose face would you dangle from

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

i've heard tim duncan looks smaller in real life than he does in photographs

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

the teams that have your currently active Mt Rushmore of Basketball aren't in your top picks to win the West?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

fair enough