Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Asproigerosis posted:

I wonder how many more years until sixers are legitimate and get to the big natty dance and crush my passive interest fairweather fan from philly heart like AI did by not practicing enough.

Big question is whether Embiid's body holds out long enough to win a ring. Holding him out of a quarter of your games to try to stave off the inevitable pre-30 career ending injury is a bold strategy, but it also says a ton about what their doctors think of his overall long term prognosis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

euphronius posted:

Who would you say the top 5 point guards are ?

In no order I’d say : tony Parker, Lebron James, magic, Kidd, Thomas? I guess Chris Paul but he’s flames out at the highest levels

I can’t go before 1985 or so . I never saw those guys play

In no particular order, Stockton, Magic, Oscar Robertson, Isiah Thomas, Chris Paul.

I'd put Jerry West, Gary Payton, and Steph Curry ahead of Russ definitely, and probably put him just behind a gaggle with guys like Chauncey Billups, Steve Nash, or Jason Kidd in terms of greatness.

If he ends up winning a championship or two by the end of his career he could probably leapfrog that gaggle and get top 10, but right now lol no.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

euphronius posted:

lmao remember when I said Embiid only has to be healthy for like 20 more games

lmao

hahah

:(

Bud, I'm sorry, I didn't think it would happen that fast.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

euphronius posted:

Could they get someone younger than 6000 years old to announce the games

If they didn't personally coach George Milan, I just can't trust their opinion about the NBA. I demand experience!

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Yossarian-22 posted:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/GSW/2021/lineups/

Notice how Green and Wiggins never played together unless Curry was present? They were so offensively inept without him

Virtually all the lineups that actually outscored opponents had Curry in them. The only Curry lineup that poo poo the bed was the one with Oubre because he was terrible all year. Warriors fans practically begged Kerr to play Damion Lee instead of Oubre but he made bad coaching decisions this year and he felt the need to play a guy the team clearly had overpaid for

Wiggins was 1 point above average defense in lineups where he played and 1 point below average offense. There's a reason Minnesota gave him up for scrap
I'm a Wiggins apologist and hope he can find success, but his problem has always been shot selection. Whether that was instilled in him here in Minnesota when his rookie year and most of his second year was basically "no shot is a bad shot" or whether that's just part of his DNA, who knows. To be successful, he pretty clearly needs to be someone who the offense does not flow through and he needs to only tough the ball after a good situation has been set up for him. The Warriors basically represent a best-case scenario for him, since playing a role like what Klay has been playing is not asking him to exercise a lot of discretion in whether he should be shooting, things have already broken down by the time he's getting the ball and he can attack that. That he's not able to be more successful in that situation is a pretty worrying sign.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Telluric Whistler posted:

I'm seeing a whole lot of posters in here that seem to believe stuff like "Jeff Foster is more valuable than Ben Wallace" is controversial... Feels like they don't understand STATISTICS and REGRESSION TO THE MEAN despite claiming to be number heads. Shame
I was a Wiggins apologist probably up to 18-19. Wiggins is just about in the best situation he can be (it'll be better with Klay to take some gravity next year) and he continues to just make bad plays and shots.

Minnie has been such a poo poo show for so long, it's possible his growth was stunted by the situation, but his contemporaries from the team (Lavine and Towns) improved their shot selection and passing. Wiggins basically didn't change his shot selection until Butler came and that coincided with a league wide shift in shot charts plus him losing the primary scoring role. Should be noted he didn't continue to improve in this area after 17-18, and I think it's telling that he continues to take a shot he's really bad at (long 2s) at pretty much the same rate.

Even his improvement this year I'm worried is a bit of a mirage built on a good 3P% despite not really changing his approach on those shots (though he's got much better passers to find him in his spots).

The consistency in his numbers and improvements of those around him tell me he can't or won't study and learn habits to improve his game, which sucks because he has good tools.

The thing that always struck me about Wiggins, and again, Wiggins apologist here, is that he doesn't seem to be someone who actually enjoys playing the game of basketball. My read is that he was put on the path he's on now at a very, very young age and all the way through being the #1 pick in the NBA draft and signing an NBA contract for millions, he was getting by on massive natural talent and being pushed to where he needed to be by parents and coaches who could effectively run his life like drill sergeants. Now that he's in the NBA, for the first time in his life, the choice is up to him how much extra time he puts in and so the fact that he really doesn't enjoy playing basketball means that he's not willing to be a gym rat like Zach Lavine. It legit wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't sign another NBA contract and is out of the league by 30, not because he couldn't get a contract or pulled a Sprewell and talked about feeing his kids, but just because he's got "gently caress you" money now and wants to spend his life doing things he actually enjoys.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Yossarian-22 posted:

all things considered 39 points during an injury and leading philly from more than 20 points down to losing by 5 is downright heroic. makes me confident that they'll win the series if embiid can maintain form

those last 5 words are doing some heavy lifting there

mastershakeman posted:

I think it's the win share per 48 metric that isolated rodman hilariously above everyone else

It's just a funny argument to make since he's a unique player whereas you can sub in bird for LeBron for Pippin for kawhi for Luka , etc
it's not that stat then, his numbers there are reflective of his overall performance. his two peak years, his two all star years with the pistons, have him at .189 and .183 (those make him top 20 in the NBA those years, but not top 10), and his career overall is .150. For contrast, compare him to another defense oriented piston in Ben Wallace, whose best season put him at .190 WS/48 and who finished with a .140 career. to compare to the whole NBA ever, that WS/48 is good enough for 118th overall, right behind Shawn Marion and Patrick Ewing and just ahead of Bill Laimbeer and Steven Adams. by that stat measure, he is not as good as Andre Drummond (106th with .152) or Joakim Noah (79th with .159)

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

oh yeah, in addition to being a wiggins apologist, i'm a ws/48 apologist. sorry you all had to find out this way

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

can someone fill me in on the kawhi hate? like, i get that some people don't like that he's not emotional and is a private guy but in a league jampacked with rapists and domestic abusers, he's so far down the list of people to dislike i just don't understand it

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Reality Protester posted:

kwahi won a title for the raptors and then left that loser city. i like him.

yeah, the nearest that i can see is that the spurs wanted him to come back earlier than he thought was right from that ankle injury. even if the spurs medical staff was actually correct and he was really ready, i never got the impression from anything that he was sandbagging, that he really thought he needed more time, and that he wasn't gonna risk his future career for the spurs because the spurs docs said he was good. i get how that basically meant he had to leave san antonio but lol at trusting anything a team says over anything a player says, ever, even their doctors. aside from that, he seems to be doing the regular player thing of trying to play on good teams with players he likes, which really riles up some fans

just glad to hear that he wasn't like convicted of scamming retirees out of their life savings or being an abuser or some poo poo. it's crazy how good the league is at scrubbing that poo poo out of wikipedia and google and whatnot

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Yossarian-22 posted:

ableism

also the fact that he did load management to rest while he was recovering from injury thus hurting nba profits during big matches. people whine that he isn't "hard" or whatever

lol imagine watching him play and thinking he's soft

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Elephanthead posted:

in his defense, Cleveland

it boggles my mind that the cleveland fanbase can't be happy for him in the way that minnesota fans are happy KG went and won a championship in boston. like, that organization was a rolling tire fire when they drafted lebron, they proceeded to surround him with absolute mediocrity, he pulled them to the finals in a way that i've never personally seen any player pull a bad team to the vicinity of a championship, then left because it was clear that the tire fire was only gonna get hotter the longer he stayed. he left and won his championship, then loving came back and got the city the only championship they have ever gotten, then left again because he saw that it was no less of a tire fire than it was when he left years before and he wants to win more.

this legit isn't meant to be a defense of lebron, i mean to point out just how lovely cleveland is and no wonder free agents don't sign there. holy poo poo that is just a garbage fanbase that doesn't loving buy heat and lakers jerseys and wear them to the games to remind the organization every game just how hosed up they are holy poo poo

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

So, just to add some light statistical trolling to this, it looks like Curry's WS/48 was 16th best in the league this year, and that feels pretty accurate.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Yossarian-22 posted:

i'm super sussed out by win share stats because they consistently overrate high field goal percentages like deandre jordan, who used to be listed as a top 10-15 player in the league consistently

It isn't without it's faults, just like any single statistic trying to compare players with disparate playing styles and games.

And you're correct that that style is the part where I would point towards it overvaluing players, along with assists being slightly overvalued as well, and certain kinds of defense being slightly undervalued because it's hard to statify if it doesn't frequently result in blocks or steals.

My read is that players like DeAndre end up getting a decent number of, for lack of a better term "uncontested" rebounds each game just because they're the person the team designates to grab them while the better offensive players run down court and get set up. That said, I'm not convinced that a player like DeAndre who did seem really good at getting contested rebounds isn't criminally undervalued, even if he's not a top 20 player.

Same for PGs and assists though too. There's a decent number of assists where the player didn't actually do anything to help the shooter, but by virtue of the stat, they get a little bump to their value because of it.

That all said, I've found WS/48 to be pretty decent overall, so long as limitations of any single stat are kept in mind. I do feel like Curry, in that example was playing MVP ball during their first title run, which is reflect in the stat, and is still a top 20 player, which is also reflected, but absolutely not an MVP anymore, which is again, also reflected.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Yeah, I'm not saying I would bet Milwaukee, but if I were ever going to bet Milwaukee, this would be it. If they can't pull out a win here, that raises some serious questions for the team going forward.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

euphronius posted:

I think Miami’s locker room was bad

Look, you don't bring in the Jeff George of the modern NBA and then expect a good locker room. That's the price you pay.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

euphronius posted:

He was not effective at all in the 4-0 wipeout by the suns so maybe you need to refine your beliefs about what effective center defense is.

It feels like he's an average defender, not great but not a liability either. Like, he's not Gobert but he's not Karl Anthony Towns either, and it's weird as hell to act like he's down at that end. There's a huge middle area of average and not every player is on one extreme or the other.

As for that series in particular, loving nobody on the Nuggets played well on either end of the floor, but putting the blame for that on Jokic is also weird as hell. They could have had Gobert gumming up the works instead and they might charitably have lost 1-4 instead of getting swept, given how everyone else played.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

indigi posted:

sounds like Gobert would have been more valuable to the team 🤔

lol I don't think he should have gotten the MVP either, but acting like he's below the Mendoza Line just because he won it is a take so bad I'm amazed it didn't come from Bill Simmons first.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

N00b question: when a defender gets a little poke on a shot that alters its trajectory does that count as a block?

My understanding is that if it alters the shot enough to be noticeable, yeah they'll call it a block but it's a judgment call by the scorers.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Legit question: has anyone ever signed a 10 day contract and then started a playoff game? Asking for several teams

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

euphronius posted:

Reopened as I have decided I am no longer a fan of anything in the world.

I was tempted to do some trolling, but instead I'll just earnestly ask how you're doing instead.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

euphronius posted:

Move the timberwolves to Philly. At least I could believe with that franchise.

As a Timberwolves fan, you don't want this. Trust me.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

No one's saying anything official but he was apparently vaccinated. Exactly what this means in terms of the league covid protocol is completely up in the air. I've seen speculation that he might be back in time for the next series, but I don't think anyone outside the league and team knows anything at this point, and they're not talking.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

yeah blame for the sixers losing is pretty much

Simmons <=> Doc > anyone not named Embiid or Curry not being able to hit shots for big stretches > refs

the idea that the refs were decisive in that is mythmaking from a team playing like absolute dogshit and not because their opponent is a top defensive team

at a minimum, all they had to do was have the hometown announcer introduce Gnouy Eart for the Hawks. there's no way he'd be able to get a flight back from Oklahoma in time, even with his private jet waiting

i know it's bad sportsmanship but this is the playoffs, you take whatever advantage you can get

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

refs matter to gamblers because they can and do affect the point spread, and you'll note that I didn't say the refs had no impact

that the refs were decisive here is only possible because philly poo poo the bed in such a spectacular fashion that this series is gonna end up being remembered for being one of the worst playoff performances by a 1 seed ever

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

CharlestheHammer posted:

man it must rule that the Sixere are unbeatable without the refs

this whole thread is fascinating because we're all engaging directly with the id of a philly homer

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

euphronius posted:

please. superego

c'mon

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Think Less posted:

Pretty sure I'm arguing with that cartoon Ben franklin philly uses

little known fact: euphronius was in the stands the day they ran off santa claus

im not saying he was personally a part of it

but im not not saying it either

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Booyah- posted:

i can't believe trae is so in the heads of sixers fans that they now believe in actual conspiracy theories

harden is even better at drawing fouls, did he ever do this to a fan base as bad?

trae will be the face of the league because they want a star that anyone can relate to, someone just as ugly on the outside as fans are on the inside

and the outside

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

LastInLine posted:

This is some good content. Nowhere else am I going to get to read someone in all earnestness post that the NBA and the mafia are conspiring to have Philadelphia, one of the largest media markets in the country and most iconic teams in the league, fall in the playoffs to Atlanta, a team that you couldn't convince me the NBA knows even exists. IT'S THE KINGS/LAKERS GAME 6 ALL OVER AGAIN LMAO

yes but have you considered the raw marketability of trae young, a man who definitely does not look like the star of a 90s sports movie where a guy from the local intramural league finds a cursed talisman that gives him incredible basketball powers

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Wait wait, I think I get this.

There's a rogue element within the league office that wants Trae to be the face of the league, led by the refs, who are fully in the bag for Trae. The rest of the league office is powerless to reign in this powerful cabal and so we are destined to watch a talentless hack win titles and become the face of the league. I think this means that Tim Donaghy will be commissioner within 6 month, a year tops.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

ahahahahaha

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

i envision this thread like we're all running through an empty arena comic book style yelling about basketball while the sound system blasts out euphronius posts at 120 decibels, every screen a lip synced ben franklin dribbling a basketball

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

its honest to god fascinating to watch his ego reflexively protect itself in real time

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Vox Nihili posted:

Paul George is supposed to be a 40%+ 3-point shooter but it feels like he hits maaaaybe 20% in the playoffs.

Thought the same thing, so I looked it up and he does underperform in the playoffs.

He's a career .384 3pt shooter in the regular season and shot .411 this season.

He's a career .356 3pt shooter in the playoffs and has shot .306 in round 1, .417 in round 2, and is shooting .348 this series.

His last series mark is the first time he has shot above .400 in the playoffs since the 2017 Eastern Conference Finals where his Pacers were swept by Lebron's Cavs. He played in 5 playoff series between then and last series. At no point in those 5 series did he shoot better than his current career percentage either.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

vyelkin posted:

the man makes $40m a year and basketball insiders report he has no work ethic or desire to improve, why would anyone trade for him

he's one of the better defenders in the league and can defend 1 to 5. he doesn't need to really improve to be worth his contract, he just needs to play at his regular season level this year and not what he did in the playoffs

get him to a team where he's the 3rd or 4th offensive option and there's no reason to think he can't at least be get back to being a productive player on a winning team, even if he's never gonna be an all NBA player

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

ref pulled out a laser pointer hit Jrue square in the face, dazed him right out.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

euphronius posted:

Morey met with Rich Paul in chicago to discuss Simmons future. No trade demand was made. Simmons willing to work with sixers this summer directly. Sixers at this time moving forward with Simmons.

Demanding a trade would be absolutely hilarious. Trades are only being talked about because of his awful performance in the playoffs, not because the rest of the team underperformed around him.

Seems like the team is saying the right things, keeping open that they might bring him back to keep his value up, and hedging against not receiving an offer they think is good enough.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Wasn't that about a team with Simmons running the point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

lol should have relayed his trade demands apparently