Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you call the disposable plastic bags with the clip at the top?
Zip Lock Bags
Glad Bags
View Results

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Lolie posted:

Waiting for the potato cake/scallop wars to commence.

Pfft.

What about the Pot/middy/schooner etc. divide.

I can still remember the dirty looks I git on my first trip to Sydney. All I wanted was a bloody beer, and the stupid bartender didn't even know what size glass to put it in.

I suppose that's what a lifetime of following Rugby League will do to a person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

If you grew up in Melbourne during the 90s, then there was a rumour going around that one of your teachers was a member of this band.

But you'd be wrong. Coz the bass player was my year 9 Maths teacher.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Aardvark! posted:

Can I get some more uniquely Aussie foods for my files please? Or are you all a bunch of gronk cunts?

Pie Floaters
Dim Sims
Lamingtons
Pavlova
Fairy Bread
Vegemite
Cheesymite Scrolls
Democracy Snags
Golden Gaytime
Bubble-O-Bill

are amongst the things that are completely normal to me, but I have been told are uniquely Australian.

Apparently an American friend of mine has told me that a 4/20 style bog standard meat pie is difficult to get in the US.

Also, Bundaberg Rum doesn't do exports as far as I know. So you can't get it overseas. (Which is a poor business decision on their part. Places like Japan and Korea would go nuts for Bundy Rum.)

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Breetai posted:

Strewth! We lost the flamin' Prime Minister!

Hand us another stubbie, Gazza.

Harold Holt is pretty Australian.

A sitting Prime Minister, who goes for a swim and is never seen again. Did he drown, or was he taken by the Chinese in a midget submarine? (He probably drowned.)

Anyway, the best way we could think of to commemorate him was to name a public pool after him. That's right a swimming pool named after a famous drowning victim. In Glen Iris.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Lolie posted:

Good quality butcher's mince is the key to getting a rich, meaty flavour. When it's brown add finely chopped onions and herbs. Mixed herbs are fine or you can add your favourite herbs, but thyme is essential as is plenty of black pepper.

Don't add any liquid until the onion is soft. You can add either stock or shepherd's pie mix, but you only want about a cup of fluid. I add a couple of teaspoons is steak sauce at this stage but you can use tomato sauce or Worcestershire sauce.

Simmer it for about 30 minutes, making sure you break up any clumps of meat. There shouldn't be much liquid left. Add a little flour or gravy mix to thicken it.

Use homemade shortcrust pastry for the base and blind bake it. Frozen shortcrust is tough and disgusting. Frozen puff is OK for the top.

Bah Humbug!

"good quality mince"? Get hosed. The appeal of a meat pie is that it is chopped up offal in generic brown gravy. The "good quality" artisan meat pie you are describing sounds delicious, but it is not a meat pie.

A meat pie is something you buy at the footy and slather in tomato sauce whilst you sit in the rain and watch your team lose to an interstate side.

Edit: I just thought of another Australian only food. - Burger Rings. I haven't had a packet of these since school.

BrigadierSensible fucked around with this message at 02:48 on May 26, 2021

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

A factoid I love.

Australia had a national cricket team decades before we had a national parliament.

Because, priorities.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

When I lived in Korea, I bought a bottle of Bundy to give to the sweet old couple who lived in the apartment next to me.
They loved me.

I also did the requisite Australian thing of getting them some Vegemite.
That, they liked not so much.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Nooner posted:

are we allowed to say the "c" word in this thread?

I once got probated for calling Shane Warne a "See You Next Tuesday".

And I can think of no more fitting description of the man. Nor a more apt use of the word.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajeL87l3prM

In a less scatological song, I always liked this one, especially because it mentions David Wirrapanda, (who I always liked, even though he played for West Coast.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ki6YTXyITaQ

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

TISM is cheating.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

Incorrect.

TISM is the standard that all other Australian bands are judged by.

That's true also.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I like Somersault
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0381429/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

A fragile delicate film about a teenager who runs away up into the high country in winter. A bit slow, but I like it.

I also like Bad Eggs
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0312409/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Made at the height of their powers, before they had a falling out, this is a Martin/Molloy vehicle that is a fun little romp. But it is very "suburban Melbourne", and very Martin/Molloy. So I dunno how much it would translate to people who didn't grow up there, or knew of them.

And for those who like horror, there is The Loved Ones
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1316536/

A nice little horror film about a girl and her dad, and the prom date that tries to get between them.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I forgot a very silly, very Australian film. You Can't Stop The Murders
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0303251/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

A murderer is going around a country town killing people in Village People themed ways. Like Bad Eggs, (which I recommended earlier), it has Bob Franklin in it. This time as a bikie. It's a silly film, as you'd expect a film about Village People murders to be, but I liked it.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Aardvark! posted:

Also please show me pictures of these "Royal Shows"

There are only 2 things you need to know about the Royal Melbourne Show.

1) I am old enough to remember when these were $2

2)The Mad Mouse. A rollercoaster that was ancient and rickety when I was a lad, and was/is under constant fear of falling over with every ride. It was ACE! Couldn't find a good picture of it though.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

syntaxfunction posted:

Also literally every person says they go mainly for the bags. Just get a plastic bag and fill it with good sweets!

This is like the person before, who gave the recipe for a "good quality" meat pie.

gently caress you! The whole point of a showbag is the throwaway plastic crap and borderline stale lollies.

But I do agree with you, as an adult, I dunno if I could stand a day at the show, with the crowds, and lugging about multiple heavy showbags with crying whingy kids in tow. But as a little kid, it was ace.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

A friend of mine once posited the question: Which band do Australians more identify with, Cold Chisel or TISM?

To which my answer was "I know I like to pretend to myself it is TISM, but at heart it's probably Chisel."

Or to use a quote from one of the aforementioned bands "Who is your favourite genius, James Hird or James Joyce?"

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Is Tism the Slipknot of Australia?

No.

TISM are a band I never thought would translate outside of the outer suburbs of Melbourne. Let alone internationally. I have always failed when trying to find an equivalent.

Think pseudo-intellectual hipsters that hate hipsters and pretention, whilst also being mega bogans from the outer suburbs who will name drop Nietchze and Kierkergard in the same song that they mention several AFL footballers by name, and the song is about farting.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

~Coxy posted:

Nobody knows all the words to Khe Sanh (or Cheap Wine) but that doesn't matter.

Years ago, when I lived in Korea, they were doing a thing where each of the Foreign teachers got up and sung their country's national anthem for all the Principals and stuff in attendance.

I sang Khe Sanh. It went down pretty well.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Re: expensive beer.

I am old enough to remember being outraged, outraged I tell you, when the pub next to Uni raised the prices so a pot of beer was more than $2.

What? You expect me to pay more than one coin for the glass of beer I am drinking instead of going to my afternoon lecture? The scoundrels!

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Re: this song and the Cold Chisel classic Khe Sanh, it was always a little weird to me how Australia wrote better songs about the experience of the returned traumatized Vietnam veteran than America did.

And you can add "And the band played Waltzing Matilda" to the list of Aussie songs about the tragedy of returning home from war.

For the heathens who have never heard either song, here they are:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTjvG4WJD_A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E22gszljklc

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Paul Kelly is someone, (much like Don Walker, who wrote much of Cold Chisel's hits), who is an absolute songwriting genius. But they are both "very" Australian and very much Australiana.

So whilst it sucks that neither of them are better known overseas, and thus are denied the success and superstardom they deserve, I can understand why their work doesn't translate well when it leaves these shores.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

He was a dog. All the main characters were introduced feral species

If I remember right, the cartoon also had a bunch of native Australian animals as The Ferals' country cousins or some such.

I think they were the baddies, but I may be misremembering.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

dr_rat posted:

...dear god what a loving bleak song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0kSBiu1IGk

Pretty much.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

5er posted:

I'm going to bet, as opposed to INXS or AC/DC, no one outside of Australia has.

This leads me to a question:

Without going too obscure, who are the "Australiana" bands that never got big outside of Australia? And I am more thinking bands that didn't translate to foreign audiences, as opposed to bands that were just not good enough to get famous overseas.

As mentioned there is TISM, and Cold Chisel. But who else are/were superstars in Oz, but nobodies overseas?

I would posit Crowded House as a band that fits this criteria. As well as possibly Savage Garden and Human Nature. Darryl Braithwaite also qualifies as a local superstar who would be unknown anywhere else.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

A lot of these Australian bands that found superstardom at home but no success overseas are 70s and 80s.

The Church and Little River Band are two more I thought of.

Trying to think of more recent ones and not coming up with much success.

Perhaps Oz HipHop? Like Hilltop Hoods?

Would Custard be big enough to qualify as a big band that never found traction overseas?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Carlos Lantana posted:

who's ganglier? peter garrett (midnight oil) or bruce spence (mad max)?
the two gangliest cunts on the planet

Bruce Reid, (Fast bowler from the 80s) would give them both a run for their gangly money.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

EoinCannon posted:

Warrnambol's Airbourne are pretty popular overseas, moreso than in Australia defintely

If we are doing Australian more popular overseas than in Australia, the Keith Urban would surely be the gold standard.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Lolie posted:

I seriously never heard of him until he married Nicole Kidman.

Nicole Kidman? Star of BMX Bandits?

I wonder what she has gone on to do with her life?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Laserface posted:

You am I are pretty good but i dont think hit it big OS.

the living end played the UK a lot i thought?

The trajectory for most aussie bands is to play locally, maybe do 2-3 shows in another city every now and then, and if that doesnt stick then head to the UK for a year and try and crack it there.

After one of the Big Day Outs, Soundgarden chose You Am I to open for them on an American tour.

Dunno if that translated to US success though.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

If we're doing TV series' that are very Australian.

I always liked the Jack Irish mini series'. They were very very inner suburban Melbourne.

Good Guys Bad Guys was also another aggressively inner suburban Melbourne series, but it leant on the comedy a lot more than Jack Irish, which, whilst it does have its funny moments, gets dark at times.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Robin Williams posted:

Wouldn't get enough views, what with Hey Hey... coming back

When Hey Hey died the first time I was sad. I remember talking to my friends at the time who were rejoicing at the death of a long irrelevant racist, homophobic archaic institution, and telling them, "Were you never 11? Don't you have fond nostalgic memories of watching this with your family on a saturday evening? etc."

Then it had it's first reboot, and I was shown why they were right and I was wrong.

gently caress Hey Hey and gently caress Darryl Somers.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Further making GBS threads on Hey Hey stories.

I remember when they had English band Reef scheduled to perform, years and years ago. Well the band members saw Red Symons being mean to a little girl on Red Faces, and so instead of performing their hit, as had been previously agreed upon, they played their song "Yer Old" and pointedly sang it at the ex-Skyhooks bassist.
For a show that prided itself on being "organized chaos", (seriously that is how Somers described it once in an interview), the act of a band singing a different song to the one they had rehearsed was unthinkable! So much so that they cancelled the next weeks performance by a rock band, (Faith No More if I remember rightly), because they couldn't be trusted to be nice boys. And instead replaced them with Rhonda Burchmore singing a show tune.

Then there is the fact that it was an open secret that "Animal", the drummer from the Hey Hey band who used to wear sunglasses, had been busted diddling 14 year old girls.

Then there is the infamous TISM performance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG4janHITY8
Here's a member of the band talking about it. He tells the story starting at 1:50
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX_3xIdvenU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

I know, I know

*Guitarist

Finding nothing on Animal, you got the right member?

You are probably right. I am probably getting my rumours messed up in my head.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

TISM news seems to go in this thread.

RIP to the man who inspired, and indeed is named in this song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4PlQzd0SvU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There'd always be that one person that brings in their over-customized Bad Dragon with the racing stripes and near-industrial RPM motor to swing the race their way every time otherwise :rolleyes::fh:

Bloody professional dildo racers. I remember when it was all about the purity of the sport.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Should have called it the 0.81 recurring Bottle Shop

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Code Jockey posted:

watching Mad Max right now

The cool one with Tina Turner and Bruce Spence? Or the even cooler one with just Bruce Spence and no Tina?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Jestery posted:

Hey there Lizzy, been a while

You need to dip that coin in a glass of coke. She'll be good as new in no time.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Melbourne were still paying off the '56 Olympics when I graduated High School in 1994.

God I'm old.

Also Melbourne has already had a Commonwealth games. We had them in 2006. So they ended up being a damp squib and a miserable half arsed provincial copy of Sydney 2000.

And from what I am hearing, Melbourne isn't even going to get the 2026 games. They are going to spread them round regional areas. Possibly to keep costs down, or possibly as an excuse to pork barrel some country town electorates by building a velodrome in Shepparton or a canoeing course in Benalla etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Bill Posters posted:

Nooooooo! That's where I live!

But don't you want to watch the Faroe Islands vs Scotland bronze medal volleyball match?

Right there in YOUR town! Think of the international prestige.

Edit: Although this makes me think what towns/places will be classified as "regional" Will they just chuck everything in Geelong/Bendigo/Ballarat, and give nothing to the actual country towns? Will they send events all the way out to Warnambool, Mildura and/or Lakes Entrance?

BrigadierSensible fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Feb 16, 2022