Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

10 has a pregnant lady as a villain, though. I thought that was pretty great.

"There are no more swearwords left, as far as I know..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Leatherhead posted:

'No Waaay!' playing on repeat in the back of my skull.

Noe Weey!!

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Taskmaster US might have been salvageable without Lisa Lampanelli. Her screeching and telling everyone to suck her balls after every task was simply unwatchable. Reggie Watts constantly going "Oh... alright I'll give you another point." didn't help much either.

I think I like Suurmestari (Finland) the best of the non-english international Taskmasters, although I really enjoyed the one season of Portugal I watched too. I'm not a huge fan of the taskmaster in Suurmestari, but I really like Pilvi Hämäläinen and her attempts to remain deadpan while the contestants are doing something ridiculous.

Most of the other international ones use the same tasks as the early UK seasons, which is still entertaining, but a lot of the times the lateral thinking solutions end up being so similar that you wonder if the contestants watched the UK episodes before joining the show. Suurmestari has unique tasks, although a lot of their live ones rely on Finnish wordplay and, even though the caption translator is doing an excellent job, a lot of the captions have "PAUSE THE VIDEO TO READ!" to explain how they used THIS word which is a variant of THAT word and it forms a joke that would surely be hilarious if you didn't have to read an explanation. It's still an interesting cultural experience, though.

I haven't watched a lot of Kongen Befaler but apparently those tasks are largely unique as well. I really didn't like Olli as the assistant in that... most of the assistants attempt to mimic Alex's submissive trolling, but Olli always came across as smug and arrogant and ruined the vibe for me. I watched a really early season though so maybe it gets better. They certainly have enough seasons now.

Portugal was interesting in that they had several unique tasks, the format was different with longer episodes, AND they had a contestant that was kind of screechy, but she somehow didn't ruin the entire show like Lampanelli did for US. Markl was the most "cuddly" assistant (literally a quote from the show, or at least the subtitle translator) and the taskmaster roasted them all ruthlessly but was never arrogant about it. I think someone is translating season 2 now so I'll have to hunt down those subtitles soon.

We started watching the Canadian one but we lost interest halfway through and I don't know why... I can't remember if it was repeated tasks or not. Maybe that was it.

Toss up for me whether NZ or AU is the best non-UK English taskmaster. Paul from NZ absolutely nails the Alex persona and they have episode-spanning tasks, but the AU one hit the ground running and has one of my favourite tasks so far with the 26 Passwords.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Unkempt posted:

If you don't like screechy contestants (and I'm with you there) then there's one excellent reason to give up on Canadian TM and I can only assume you've blocked it from your memory.

Oh I think I remember it now...

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Does anyone know why some of the international versions have a "guest" each episode? It's great to get people more exposure I guess, and maybe a ratings draw if they're pulling in someone famous and popular, but it's weird for the flow of the show because ultimately they're not part of the competition. In regular Taskmaster you spend the first couple episodes getting to know everyone and they all basically feel like family by the end of the series. You don't have enough time to really get a feel for the personality of a one-episode guest. Yet multiple international versions use the guest model. Is it common to have guests on shows in those countries or something?

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Two things:

- The commercial bumpers for episode 7 were horrifying (like, in a good way) and I do not care to see up Paul's nose again

- Mel got robbed on the "win something" task

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

I, too, can't believe Mel beat Scrub Daddy.

I like Bubbah but I feel like Jeremy is over-rewarding her antics in the prize tasks. Every episode she's like "Here's some random poo poo that I will bullshit into fitting the category!" and he's like "5 points".
Scrub Daddy maybe didn't deserve 5, but 1?? c'mon it's giving a blow job to spoon

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Irisi posted:

Sue Perkins taking every opportunity to swear at Alex was a highlight, always been a fan of Sue's brand of exasperated swearing.

"You absolute shower of poo poo" is my new favourite insult :allears:

Everyone spending their time ITT whinging about TMNZ is a miserable poo poo giblet

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

We watched a Kongen Befaler last night and tonight my husband went off on a drunken rant because one of the contestants used their phone as a flashlight in a dark task, and subsequently won 5 points. He says it's boring and should have been disallowed, or at least points deducted, because phones could solve pretty much every task.

I feel like phones come out so rarely that they must be forbidden on most tasks? it was a task where "turn the lights back on" was an accepted solution so it kinda makes sense to allow it I guess, but I feel like making them 100% forbidden would be acceptable.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

"why did you throw a poo out of a window?"

"Because I couldn't flush it and I didn't want people to pick on me."

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

I was actually pretty annoyed that Lucy only got 2 points for things things things things things. Sure it was low effort but it was funny and was a literal interpretation of the task, fulfilling it perfectly. Sue getting a point over that for "the dog ate it but it used to fit the category" was extra insulting.

Also who DOESN'T want 5 yorkshire puddings?

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Mr Beens posted:

Technically Lucy had 10 things so broke the requirements

Yes, it had 10 things in total, but it had 5 literal "things" and the category was "A thing with 5 "things" on it" :colbert:

I'm not mad about it like I was about scrub daddy though.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

neongrey posted:

I love Julian's top in the studio this episode

Lucy I suspect does play it up some but honestly imo she just has the vibe of being quite ADHD and able to turn off the internal filter. I love her and she looks like she gives good hugs.

I think part of it is genuine and she leans into it, and she's so practiced at it that you don't notice the leaning most of the time. It was most noticeable last episode: She had a couple quips that were a little forced, and then the toilet paper stuck to her shoe, and it was like "Okay, yeah, you're definitely playing a bit". But she's so drat good at it that is has to be a magnification of real traits.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

My first thought was to flick a switch and run to the lab and see what happened so I could label them all, but having seen the task in its entirety that wouldn't have worked. So I guess the time wouldn't have started because I didn't understand the task :v:

Also I would have flipped the "don't" switch straight off, so...

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

We've been working our way through Kongen Befaler because prevailing opinion seemed to be that it was one of the better international Taskmasters and has unique tasks. We had watched a season of all of the different international versions initially and it didn't really stand out from the rest, but now we're on season 6 and drat, their budget must have gone way up. This is UK-level quality.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

My Lovely Horse posted:

I wonder if they filmed the team tasks last and had "find the secret task" as a plan B in case someone hadn't found it before.

That was my assumption. They put it there hoping it would be found, and when no one did they threw in the team task to make use of it. Alex kept poking at them asking if they think anyone had found the secret task yet, but they never showed anyone making any effort to actually look, lol, so they probably realized it was fruitless.

It was pretty well secured, compared to the NZ secret task which was just under something in a room where they had to search for something else and would be likely to move stuff around.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

:lol::lol: we just watched the Kongen Befaler "whack a mole" live task (S6 E7 I think). holy poo poo that was insanity.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

I can't believe no one trussed up the deck of cards so that it could be thrown as a block, and then retrieved by dragging it back with a long string.. We saw Sam start doing that and were like "There we go" and then he missed the most important part of the scheme...

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

ALSO! I was annoyed that no one acknowledged Lucy's prize task entry. She brought in literal old crap. Maybe still not worth more than 1 point, because there's not much chance Greg would like it, but it was a deeper entry than it seemed at first glance.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Yvonmukluk posted:

I kind of think for the last question you could have just said the question cards. Greg didn't specify which hand, did he?

That was my answer!

I didn't get any points for it :smith:

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

We're on season 7 of Kongen Befaler and I don't know if he's just coming across unfortunately but drat, I am getting really unpleasant vibes from Leo Ajkic. It feels like he isn't clever, isn't funny, can't make fun of himself, and gets pissy when he does poorly and then remembers he's on camera and tries to cover it up, all while trying to maintain some kind of mob boss persona. It's kinda dragging down the episodes...

Lars and Vidar are pulling it up though.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Annakie posted:

Yeah, I honestly can't think of any contestant on any of the four Taskmaster iterations I've seen who even came close to how much of a drag Leo was on that season. It often felt like he didn't want to be there. A rare misstep in casting, I think.

I loved all four of the others, though.

I'm sure he's a nice guy, but he's giving off real toxic masculinity energy, like normally if he made a mistake he'd immediately blame someone else, but now he's locked himself into this show where he's being filmed loving up and then they make fun of him for loving up and he has no choice but to admit he hosed up and he's not taking it well.

Apparently he's coming back for their Christmas special, so maybe he wants to redeem that. Or... maybe he'll drag that one down too...

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

anilEhilated posted:

Is there any way to watch the later seasons of that show with English subtitles without resorting to :files:? The Taskmaster official channel only has the first two seasons (which are mostly great although I'm kinda getting tired of Maria Stavang's schtick).

I got all the subtitles off Reddit (fan translations), so... not that I am aware of.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Sam definitely wasn't my cup of tea either. I didn't mind him on the show at all but that clip of his standup did nothing for me. It had the same energy as a staged internet sketch where it might have been funny if it hadn't been entirely planned. At least most of his Taskmaster quips were improv. I did enjoy the series-long grey theme with the colour punchline at the end.

I might have been influenced because I found it so annoying that Lucy would bring in something stupid and odd but actually kind of clever if you think about it from a different lens, and Greg would poo poo on it and give one point, and then Sam would bring in something completely stupid and Greg would say "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen. 5 points." I think I disagreed with Greg more this season than any other one mostly because he kept giving high points to Sam...

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Morpheus posted:

I don't think you can get COVID from sucking on someone's toes on national television but I want to say you can just so that people won't.

Did you pay attention during the pandemic? Saying you will catch COVID from it will inevitably start an internet challenge to film yourself doing it.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

+1 wishlist from me

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Does anyone know if the international versions have a similar dynamic where it's the "assistant" who brought the show to the network and planned the tasks but gives credit to the taskmaster in-character, or is it the taskmaster themselves who did the planning, or is it 100% producers doing it on those networks?

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

I'm sad that we will never see Robin Williams attempt Taskmaster. I wonder if they could convince Colin Mochrie to give it a go.

I wonder how Tim Minchin would do... either on UK or AU

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Maybe Mae heard y'all talking smack about them and declined :colbert:

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

UK version only has New Year's Treat, not a christmas special, right?

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Leraika posted:

taskmaster minnesota is pretty good guys

We just finished season 1 and if it weren't for the audio quality there were genuinely times where I could have forgotten I wasn't watching a licensed spinoff.
David created some genuinely good tasks. Although the shoes task was definitely some bullshit that needed a bit more planning...

We got a little ways into the first episode of season 2 and I can already see how much it's improved, too. Not just in audio quality but also in diversity of cast. He probably has more friends to pick from now that he's gained traction, so he can get a good mix of clever and quirky now and not just rope in whoever was closest, lol.
Also Carter as TM was a good move.

Has Alex ever said why 5 contestants? The 6 on Minnesota makes so much more sense for team tasks.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Yeah I was feeling like 6 is probably a bit too much but 4 is not enough, so 5 is the sweet spot even if it's not possible to evenly divide teams

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

We finished watching TM Minnesota. It was good to start with but the quality really amplified in the second half of S2. Bravo all around.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Voting for "How we laughed" but equally pleased with the charisma quote.

Qrs Tuvwxyz is a good option just because it would make people scrolling past the thread do a double take, though.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Snowy posted:

This is making me imagine a Trump-hosted Apprentice/Taskmaster crossover and I hate it

I was going to make a Trump joke when I read that post, but then I saw the new episode discussion start so I had to quit before reading further :v:

MisterZimbu posted:

In one of the few times I don't regret reading Youtube comments, someone down there pointed this out:

What in the blue hell is going on there?

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

SixFigureSandwich posted:

I'm vaguely disappointed that nobody tried to take the whiteboard off the wall and put it on the floor :v:

Pablo Bluth posted:

Steve on the podcast says a few hours later it occurred to him to move the whiteboard to the floor and stands on it.

That was my first thought as well. Nothing in the task said it had to be hung on the wall, just stuck to the board. Run straight to the board and see if you can dislodge it within the two "selection" minutes, and if you can get it on the floor go haul the heaviest thing you can out of the shed and set it on top with a bit of something sticky under it. Otherwise plan B is doing it "properly" if Alex has prepared for that eventuality and the board is mega-bolted to the wall or something.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Senor Tron posted:

Season 3 of Taskmaster AU starts on May 23rd.

For some reason they've reversed the airing order, and will be airing S2 straight after S3, so 20 straight weeks of TMAU.

Why not just renumber them for airing order?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

So is it likely that as TMAU wraps up its two oddly timed combo seasons we can jump straight into TMNZ season 5?