Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Oxyclean posted:

Beat me too it lol.

"Vaccines are not political, so allow me to take the position opposite of my opponent, that just so happens to alight with the interests of groups in my political alignment."

"Allow me to niqab COVID-19"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

infernal machines posted:

I have no idea where y'all are getting "a limp swastika" from an interlocking U and N, which are likely meant to represent chain links, but you should probably get your brains checked.

I'm serious, if you're seeing swastikas hidden in everything you need to talk to your doctor and likely get a referral to a psychiatrist.

I didn't want to say anything but I've been staring at this like a magic eye puzzle and I don't see a swastika.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Well great job Theresa May-ing yourself there JT

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

mila kunis posted:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-housing-plan-1.6151154

If the Liberals are re-elected on Sept. 20, Trudeau said, he would introduce a first home savings account which would allow Canadians up to age 40 to save $40,000 toward their first home and withdraw it tax-free when it comes time to buy. Money added to the account would go in tax-free and could be withdrawn without any taxes owing on possible investment gains.

He said a Liberal government would double the first-time home buyers tax credit from $5,000 to $10,000 — an incentive that would help with the many closing costs that come with buying property.

nothing about reducing house prices, just starving the government of revenue so its easier for you to get into massive levels of debt

i love liberalism

lol the people who can't afford homes are likely folks who can't max out their RRSP and/or TFSA contributions either, so creating another tax-free account to not throw money into isn't going to do jack poo poo for the people that are really affected.

just lmao

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Is there a big push for strategic voting this year? I remember it was huge in 2015/2019, but I haven't heard anything for 2021.

Edit: not that I plan to, I just was surprised to hear of it.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Aug 25, 2021

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

That could be saving face. I would've just glued macaroni to it.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

There were a lot more updates on that page than I was expecting.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

egg tats posted:

why didn't the feds take the lead on a national system that the provinces could hook into like a year ago? we knew this was going to be a tool most of us would want, and if it's not a universal one, or built off of a common system, it'll be useless to travellers.

it's just weird to me that every province is individually deciding now whether to spend the money on building their own bespoke system you know?

The COVID Alert app would have been a great platform to launch this from too. It's upsetting that my province didn't sign up for it's implementation.

Actually, I wonder if the underlining problem is the interprovincial health systems don't really cooperate very well.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

edit: ^^^ Sounds like he's taking orders. Tell him you'll have a cage match lined up next week. ^^^

PT6A posted:

When I posted my local NDP candidate, everyone was like "oh ho ho! looks like a Young Conservative to me!" because he... was wearing a blue suit jacket?

So, yeah, there's really no pleasing some people.

Uh excuse me he looks like an old bald white guy, he couldn't possibly be NDP.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Arc Hammer posted:

Why do you feel bad for Hinshaw?

Fair point. Nonetheless, frontline workers have absolutely been put through the ringer.

Edit: gently caress, at this point it's easier to count who hasn't been making their lives more difficult.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Sep 1, 2021

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

PT6A posted:

Is she "in healthcare" in any real sense? Certainly not at the moment.

If I'm loving a nurse, am I in healthcare?

His name is Glenn

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Sorry can't talk right now—I'm in healthcare

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Femtosecond posted:

Also both Blanchet and O'Toole were proclaiming that there's a huge job shortage because of CRB and CRB needs to be cut. Singh was the only person that pushed back on this idea, noting that CRB is less than minimum wage and that the workers were not there to be found because of low wages. (Also literally they all probably got new, better jobs months and months ago when they were laid off initially)

I'm loving sick of this drat argument (not what you/Singh said). Idiots all over the country keep repeating "The government needs to get rid of CERB! No one is working because of CERB!", and it's such a dumb tired opinion because:
  • CERB ended almost a loving year ago
  • CRB is what they mean, but
  • CRB now only pays $300/wk, which means
  • if you're paying your workers less than $300/wk, it's no loving wonder why no one wants to work for you.
Forget the laundry list of poo poo you've got to prove every 2 weeks, including proof that you're actively looking for work. Working doesn't disqualify you from receiving CRB either, meaning people can earn more by working.

All that to say, CRB 'aint creating a job shortage, and the people that claim that are loving morons. They're up there with "the vaccine isn't FDA approved" despite the FDA having jack poo poo to do with Canada.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 3, 2021

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

ZeeBoi posted:

Someone in my building has handwritten signs on her window. GOOGLE PPC!!!!

I googled "GOOGLE PPC" and got a bunch of stuff about how to increase my Pay Per Clicks for Google Ads.

Thanks random window person.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

This was exactly what I was thinking: encourages disobedience of every government initiative going forward.

Kennedy is a joke.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 3, 2021

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Fidelitious posted:

I guess it depends on how important it is, but I would prioritize credit card debt over giving any sort of donations. Like, take care of your own poo poo first.

Srsly. I was incredibly relieved when I was finally able to pay off my CC debt this year. Keep going until that poo poo's looked after—it's undoubtedly your worst expense right now.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

My friends were going to Edmonton this weekend to visit family they haven't seen in a couple years, they ended up canceling due to the explosion of covid cases. Now their albertan family is shaming and bullying them and calling them cowards...

Cool. Hope they're okay with not being visited ever loving again.

I had to avoid my aunt and uncle recently; they were visiting my dying grandmother and my infant son had a fever at the time (not COVID-19, thankfully). While we admitted the awkwardness, we all understood and respected each other's bubbles. People (especially family) who try to create drama can gently caress right off.

Edit: loving Alberta.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 8, 2021

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Dear Local Candidate,

Please accept this vote as a token of love.
If you're not doing anything later, lets gently caress.

Love,
Local Constituent

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

It's 2021. Having a family and kids is no longer a show stopper.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

cranks gonna crank

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Arivia posted:

It’s not supposed to be a holiday tbf. It’s supposed to be a day off work for national reflection and learning. I’m not betting there will be a lot of that from the people who do get it off.

I didn't realize that Remembrance Day was a provincial holiday everywhere except ON, MB, NS and QC. I'd been moving to/from those provinces most of my life. :argh:

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Poodlebear posted:

Wish I could vote for the NDP, unfortunately Singh is a racist

You must work at the Indian embassy.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

It's because Quebec is hella racist, don't tell anyone :ssh:
We must protect, our way of life! :heritage:

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

flakeloaf posted:

If you don't have your lights on, it's okay for rich people to get drunk and murder you (and blame it on their wives). Allegedly.
Turns out money can buy happiness.

Sounds like the CMOH is going to be butting heads with the UCP pretty soon.

quote:

Kenney has also repeatedly rejected calls for vaccination requirements, which are increasingly common in other provinces when it comes to accessing bars, restaurants, gyms and other public venues.

But Hinshaw said Monday that it's "pretty clear" vaccine passports have an impact.

In B.C., she said, there was a clear increase in vaccine uptake among younger age groups within two weeks of its vaccine card announcement.

People aged 30 to 39 saw an increase of almost three per cent, while uptake among those aged 18 to 29 went up by over four per cent, Hinshaw said.

"I think it's pretty clear that requirements, especially for discretionary activities can have an impact in those age groups where we most need right now to increase our uptake," she said.

Hinshaw also said she thinks it's "very reasonable" to have kids wearing masks in schools.
I wonder if blocking people from discretionary activities is a better incentive than handing out gift cards.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 14, 2021

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Those are direct screenshots from the COVID-19 Outbreak Update webpage on Canada.ca. I've been checking in there ever since the pandemic began: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection.html

The graphs automatically adjust their scale to the min/max values. Kinda seems like she was just screenshotting them and dumping them on a slide, but I guess it depends on the context of the meeting.

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Edit: oh, you know what though, if you go to the actual link that she posted at scroll down to figure 1b, you can toggle relative scales. She either made a huge oversight or is deliberately misleading. Here's those graphs again:

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 15, 2021

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Arc Hammer posted:

Do those graphs usually adjust when you're using them for comparisons between provinces?

Regrettably you can only do once province at a time, so yeah. You just pick the data you want (ex Rate, Active Cases), then you can move your mouse to each province and the graph will morph accordingly. Try it out: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection.html

Edit: oh, you know what though, if you go to the actual link that she posted at scroll down to figure 1b, you can toggle relative scales. She either made a huge oversight or is deliberately misleading. Here's those graphs again:

Blood Boils posted:

Also rip Norm MacDonald :'(
Also gently caress this. :(

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 15, 2021

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

I didn't know the UCP was selling these last summer

:chud:

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

E: n/m

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 15, 2021

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Oxyclean posted:

Some real Zap Branagan energy. "We'll hit the virus' kill limit!"

Also: "Here's a recovery plan with some chest hair on it" -crosses out all pandemic measures-

https://twitter.com/BrcDi4/status/1438330497537503239?s=20

lol

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

queeb posted:

My cousin is going to die because she has stomach cancer and was waiting to have surgery in Calgary but it kept being delayed and now she's not viable for it.

gently caress every anti vaxxer, I hope they drown in their own fluids.

I can't imagine how unbelievably frustrating and horrible that is. I'm really sorry. :(

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

Don't make the mistake Americans did; bully the gently caress out of every single PPC voter you know. Be cruel. Do it in public. It's not to convert them, it's to make everyone else see what a loving loser they are for liking that party.

I've been sucked into facebook arguments with people in my riding, and lo and behold most of the anti-vax / anti-passport folks turned out to have a PPC cover photo. Not exactly a representative sample, but I was shocked at how many people are voting PPC here.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Methanar posted:

I'm voting PPC

Bully this guy

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Trickle down economics has a great track record. :thumbsup:

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 18, 2021

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Hey D&D how're we doin this afternoon

ZShakespeare posted:

This one gets it.

Mr. Mercury posted:

They really, really don't.

mila kunis posted:

Make your case.

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

lol are you for real

Nevermind, carry on

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Kale posted:

Jesus Christ at the PPC polling 7.5%. This whole anti-vax/anti-mask campaign by far right agitators really has been effective sadly.

It's kind off why standing up to their supporters is so important. That Reddit AMA was a perfect example of what happens when they step out of their internet echo chambers and get called out for things like xenophobia.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

lol what a weird thing to make up

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

^^^ Edit: Holy poo poo, nevermind, clearly I was wrong

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Sep 19, 2021

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Hizawk posted:

While I got to vote early due to military stuff, my wife had to wait for her OFFICIAL BALLOT from Elections Canada.

Due to European mailing being absolute poo poo, it arrived on Friday.

Elections Canada said it has to be received by end of day Monday.

This poo poo needs to be fixed and is absolutely appalling.

Democracy for some.

(Edit: Just through random fluke, we had a friend fly back to Canada on Sunday. He dropped it off express courier that should *maybe* arrive in time)

I'm a little suprised to hear that the dependents of CAF Electors can't piggyback on the same system as military folks when they're posted overseas. That's pretty frustrating.

Calumanjaro posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/escrimshaw/status/1439222895121772544

PPC at 21% in Alberta. Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

Man, whatever the outcome is, the election results are going to be extremely interesting to follow.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Seriously, though. I don't give too much credence to polling data, but right now there's a lot of things on the table and they're all kind of hilarious.

Will the liberals get hoisted by their own petard (a la Teresa May)?
Will a fringe party riding anti-vax sentiment get seats in parliament?
Will this actually result in a liberal majority (a la Stephen Harper)?
Will pretty much nothing change, and this was all a huge waste of time?

I dunno, I think it's gonna be interesting. :shrug:

vvv Edit: Yeah, this part isn't fun though.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Sep 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Do we have a CanPol election night discord or something? Or do we :justpost:?

edit: I suck

Canuckistan posted:

I think Discord is the standard now for election night drinking channels.

The USPOL Discord has made a thread for us. It's under #worldpol

https://discord.gg/3K9cg27

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Sep 20, 2021