Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/l_stone/status/1426254794600157189

Erin O'Toole sees a rake laid out in front of him and willingly walks into it.

Don't worry, they have a solid follow up.

https://twitter.com/CPC_HQ/status/1426242355422765056

Conservatives every day: "Trudeau must go!"
Trudeau: "Here's an election."
Conservatives: "No, not like that."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Jam Band Death Cult posted:

This evening I ran into an acquaintance/friend who is now an army recruiter. He's truly pleasant to be around, despite this, and we go way back. So we chatted for maybe an hour. Things got a bit heated when he lavished praise on Chrystia Freeland and quickly afterward said that he thought Mark Carney was "a genius, like Ignatieff". I don't think I'd ever met a real-life tankie for the Libs before.

Moments before, Steven Guilbeault jogged past me as I biked through parc Laurier.

This plays directly into my belief that the PLC is a simulation that only glitches into real-life existence in the lead-up to elections.

It's quite beautiful when the country's dormant Liberals awake for election season. Truly, nature is a miracle.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

angerbeet posted:

Erin, have you been sticking your head in the Shine-O Ball-O again?

Nnnnnnno.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

I'm sure the NDP will continue its time-honoured tradition of finding a candidate somewhere who said something critical of Israel on social media in 2011 and booting them.

The reporters at the Toronto Sun are likely combing through every left wing candidate's Twitter feeds right now for a front page story about a single tweet from high school that said "gently caress the police" or something.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

I kind of love Journal Le Revoir's gag of calling Erin O'Toole "Erin O'Outil"

https://twitter.com/JournalLeRevoir/status/1427284592294305792

https://twitter.com/JournalLeRevoir/status/1427382720167137282

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

I don't speak French, but I know a dick joke when I see it :haw:

Dicks are the universal language. :dong:

First one: Erin O'(Tool)e says it's never a good time to trigger erections.

Second one: Jeff Bezos asks Erin O'(Tool)e why there's a rocket in his campaign logo (the French logo does not, in fact, have balls a cloud of smoke erupting from the engine)

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 17, 2021

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Gros Tarla posted:

https://www.thestar.com/politics/fe...in-toronto.html

Looks like the Greens are gonna fumble this all the way to the end. Is being wiped entirely from the electoral map their objective? Probably.

Paul also made a big announcement yesterday about how she wants to recall the now dissolved Parliament for an emergency debate on Afghanistan. Several journalists had to point out that this isn't possible because there's no MPs right now. Yes, cabinet is still technically in place, but even the provision that suggests it is theoretically possible to recall a dissolved Parliament is generally more widely interpreted to mean it would be recalled as quickly as possible as soon as a new one is formed, i.e. following the writ period, since the 43rd Parliament no longer exists.

So that's cool. I mean, a fundamental misunderstanding of the political system is kind of baked in to Canadian politics, but this is a party leader we're talking about. O'Toole is also promising to repeal bills that died on the order paper.

p.s. happy to have contributed to the thread title, in a way.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

B33rChiller posted:

Lol I missed that one. Could you explain a bit more?

I shouldn't have said bills, plural, it's really just C-10. It's in their platform. C-10 (changes to the Broadcasting Act, known online as the internet censorship bill) didn't make it to royal assent and now there's an election so it's DOA.

Also of note: the election means the conversion therapy ban has died on the order paper.

https://www.nationalmagazine.ca/en-ca/articles/law/hot-topics-in-law/2021/here-s-what-died-on-the-order-paper

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Nine of Eight posted:

Sadly yesterday another of their contributors just got outed as a massive abuser (another one had been outed in the « Say his name » list and left the publication a while back).

Oh gross, really? I had no idea. Shame. I tend to like their stuff.

tagesschau posted:

Her predecessor wrote a letter directly to the queen, asking her to investigate the Tories' robocalls. And Jagmeet Singh thought that it would be possible for the governor general to refuse a dissolution.

At some point, they have to know they're just making things up, but it doesn't help the country when they're trying to bamboozle Canadians with respect to the way it actually functions.

True and Singh has also frequently brought up issues that are provincial in jurisdiction.

It would be kind of funny if it wasn't our government on the line. At least several reporters called out Paul's mistake but I don't know how much made it into official coverage in papers and on TV. If it's just on Twitter, they're really only speaking to other political weirdos like us and other reporters.

I don't know if any of you follow Dale Smith on Twitter. I read his book and it was pretty solid. He has a really strong grasp of convention but sometimes I bet he feels like he's screaming into a void. I do like his regular pot shots at Power and Politics. :mmmhmm:

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

PT6A posted:

This looks really loving greasy and either this candidacy is dead in the water or she needs to be on the phone to a lawyer right the gently caress now:

https://twitter.com/TrueNorthCentre/status/1428507330027655171

There's also this.

https://twitter.com/MariekeWalsh/status/1428526176549625856

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

PT6A posted:

Okay, so here's my issue with that: the rest of the country bitches about how conservative and stupid Alberta is, and a huge problem with that is you keep loving sending us your conservative moron rejects (both politicians and voters). Kevin J. Johnson, Sloan, Kenney, Harper, all these thick fucks aren't actually from here! You produce them, and then they wander out here and make our nights long and our days sour.

Years of touting Alberta as the conservative promised land, where nary a liberal will offend the eye, will do that.

The talk radio I used to have to listen to in my part of Ontario 10 years ago would also be like, "Alberta is where we have to go. That's the only conservative place left in Canada" regardless of the fact that rural Ontario is conservative as hell. But Alberta just has this allure.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

infernal machines posted:

They love it out there, it's like their Graceland

For what it's worth, I am truly sorry we keep exporting the worst Ontario has to offer to Alberta.

They do end up sending them to Ottawa, so it all comes back to bite us in the end.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

PT6A posted:

We need to invest in advertising in chuddy parts of Ontario:

"NO WAY.

You Will Not Make Alberta Home"

Worked for the Aussies, no?

New slogan

Alberta: Please Stay in Ontario.™

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

How loving presumptuous do these rear end in a top hat ministers have to be to pretend like they can govern and campaign at the same time? Oh right, the head of the armed forces was a goddamn rapist and every other senior officer they could pick to discuss Afghanistan has a scandal under wraps. So I get to listen to Minister Math Problems, Minister "I don't have to answer your committee", Minister Man of Cheetos and World's Stupidest Astronaut tomorrow.

Them making appearances as cabinet members smacks of hubris like they're going out and saying "yeah we're gonna win anyways, might as well keep working while our opponents suck dirt" and I hate it.

I mean, they are still cabinet ministers. Parliament has been dissolved but the government is still the government. They can't make any BIG moves or do anything that might harm whatever incoming government will be sworn in after the election but we still have a PM and cabinet during the campaign.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

I know they still have to do ministerial business but it is generally accepted as being a bad look to make announcements like this during an election because they toe the line into partisan politics. And Mendicino bragging about how quick Canada was about setting up a refugee asylum program for Afghans stinks of partisan dick waving.

And of course they do it on a weekend because God forbid a humanitarian crisis interrupt their election campaigning.

I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on the caretaker convention but I think this would likely qualify, being an international humanitarian crisis and all.

Bad look, maybe, but i think doing or saying nothing until the next government is sworn in would probably be worse.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

The best thing they could do would be to let officials from the departments make the announcement and perhaps a senior officer in the Armed Forces. The trouble is that the senior staff isn't going to be doing any media appearances thanks to the sex scandals and the department officials already did a tech briefing yesterday that I recorded which had all the details necessary that could be dissemination to the public. The announcement today was just grandstanding so the ministers could say "I'm working!" and get some airtime responding to questions the journalists got the answers to yesterday.

That's fair. You're not totally wrong. It's possible the weekend show chase producers actually wanted the ministers and not their staffers. I suppose they could/should have said no.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Hahahahaha holy poo poo. How did this person get nominated by the NDP?

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Canada's Conservatives: Secure the Deposit

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

There are all kinds of other parties you may consider voting for.

There's the Fourth Front, whose website sent me to a bullshit "1 billionth search" ad that said I could win a prize and whose platform is COMING SOON in 00 Days 00 Hours 00 Minutes and 00 Seconds.

There's the Animal Protection Party, which claims to be "inclusive of all species" and yet does not run any animal candidates. :thunk:

There's the Canadian Nationalist Party which is clearly doing well.

There's the Marijuana Party which... I mean, half of their platform has already been enacted!

There's the Rhinoceros Party, of course, which, I mean, why not at this point?

quote:

Economy

With the economy being THE number one priority of the Rhinoceros Party, the party is proposing several measures to reduce the tax burden on taxpayers:

--The Rhinoceros Government will open tax havens in all provinces! Hundreds of tax havens will keep foreign funds “local” and reap up to $ 2,000 billion annually!
--By 2022, the party pledges to complete the privatization of the Senate initiated by previous governments.
--Finally, we will fill the coffers of the state by allowing advertising in the Senate and the House of Commons.

Education

Education being THE number one priority of the Rhinoceros Party, we are committed to eliminating waste and providing quality education to all Canadians.

--Replace teachers on leave with photos of famous scientists.

(Other commitments to come)

Employment

Employment being THE number one priority of the Rhinoceros Party, we are committed to doing everything we can to make life easier for Canadian workers.

--Citizens are asking for jobs and we will give them some! By 2020, we promise that all citizens will have a job and most will even have two.
--In our first mandate, we will rewrite the Labour Code in order to add one holiday per month. April 1st and the birthday of the party leader will also become holidays. Finally, it will be forbidden to work the day after a holiday.
--Reduce the number of accidents in factories by wrapping all workers in bubble wrap.

Any many more!

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

ZShakespeare posted:

The NDP is mostly Liberals with a marginally more progressive tax policy?

Gros Tarla posted:

Yeah. I don't get people being disappointed by the NDP now. Why would it be different from the Mulcair years? It's basically the same people, with extra popular lefty sounding buzzwords with no tangible plan or serious candidate backing any of it.

Just a muddled mess of milquetoast centrism but at least there are some good TikToks now.

I just think it's funny. At least try to say the quiet part quietly.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

https://twitter.com/David_Moscrop/status/1429540688010547204

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Photo: Prime Minister Justin Trudeau takes his seat in the Scotiabank House of Commons after winning his seat in the riding of Papineau—SNC-Lavalin. (THE CANADIAN PRESS)

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

Every Atlantic Seat would be Irving

"The results are coming in from the Irving Provinces. John Irving will be the candidate for the riding of Irvington-Irving."

Fidelitious posted:

Holy poo poo, stop naming things after people already. Especially after politicians. It shouldn't even be considered until...I'm going to say 100 years after their death, see if anyone remembers who they were or if they had any lasting relevance.

We're just leaving the expense of re-renaming things to later generations when it turns out the politicians we named everything after were awful, which we already knew the whole time but pretended we didn't because "it was a different time then."

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

The media is running wild with Monsef referring to the Taliban as brothers. During the media briefing today a journalist poked her on that and asked why she refers to the taliban as brothers but not conservative parry Muslims.

Of course the firestorm was agitated by Warren Kinsella and Ezra Levant.

I can only imagine how insane the Toronto Sun's Slack channel went when she said that. Front page Lilley column tomorrow for sure.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

It's not like there are any other serious issues in Ontario to worry about.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Other organizers could really learn a lot from these truck nuts. Plan a protest for two weeks away, and then get a few dozen people with twitter accounts to harass journalists and news outlet accounts constantly asking why they're not covering the protest that hasn't officially happened yet and then just say you're being silenced by Justin Trudeau personally as loudly as possible. Farm out a few bots to amp the hashtags and just say you have tons of support.

p.s. donate to my gofundme.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Starks posted:

"Media suppression" = every single news source has it on their front page.

It does seem like it's bigger than I thought originally, but its crazy how none of the reporting on it seems to be able to pin down a size. The national post is the only one I saw that specified 2000 trucks, but, it's the national post. The other articles just avoid mentioning the size or cite the organizer's claims.

What happened to on the ground reporting? There should be a junior reporter just counting these things as they go by, the mystery is only adding to people's interest.

They have it on their pages, but they're not reporting on it correctly by explicitly stating that these are our glorious, golden heroes come to topple the evil dictatorship of Justin "Literally the Devil" Trudeau and install a glorious new True Canadian Patriot regime that will end all COVID-19 mandates, make the price of Canadian oil $1000 per barrel and dismantle the CBC and arrest and try all journalists in the Nuremberg 2.0 trials for crimes against humanity.

PT6A posted:

The OPP reports 113 commercial trucks and somewhere under 300 private vehicles were observed leaving Thunder Bay. That seems like the most reliable source (and it's a sad fuckin' day when I say that about something the cops say).

Don't worry, the 75,000 trucks from the USA are bound to get here eventually.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

The second paragraph in this article is pretty great.

https://www.tbnewswatch.com/local-news/protest-convoy-makes-stop-in-thunder-bay-4998517

This has the OPP figures cited above and also some very kind and friendly comments from the truckers. Looks like they're doing their own "media suppression".

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

With those kinda numbers the potential payday for participating in this is actually pretty big, assuming that GoFundMe money gets disbursed equally (which is one hell of an assumption of course lol)

The fact that the GFM was organized by a Maverick party insider also means that the party will have access to any of the info the donors provide. Whether or not the funds are unfrozen or distributed, GoFundMe's ToS says this:

quote:

Unless the Donor opts-out of such disclosure, Donor acknowledges and agrees that, in accordance with the Privacy Policy, certain of Donor’s personal information will be shared with the Charity to which such Donor makes a Donation (including without limitation as part of a Donor List, as set forth below) and may be used by such Charity to issue official Donation receipts (or equivalent document) and in accordance with the Charity’s privacy policy. GoFundMe is not responsible, and shall not be liable, for any Charity’s use of any Donor information.

Donor Lists and Other Data. A Charity may access information about an Organizer of a Fundraiser for the Charity, Donor Lists (defined below) and Donor Data (defined below) for compliance and transactional purposes. Please contact us here with any questions. “Donor Data” means a Donor’s name, address, email address, Donation amount, date of transaction, transaction identification number, and name of the project. THE LIST OF DONORS WHO CONTRIBUTE TO A CHARITY’S FUNDRAISER THROUGH THE SERVICES (“DONOR LISTS”) IS PROVIDED “AS IS,” AND GOFUNDME MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS, WARRANTIES OR GUARANTEES ABOUT THE ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS OR TIMELINESS OF ANY DONOR LIST OR ANY INFORMATION CONTAINED THEREIN. Unless a Donor checks the “Anonymous” checkbox at the time of Donation or seeks to be anonymous through other means provided herein, by using the Services, the Donor consents to the disclosure of Donor’s Donor Data as described herein, including without limitation, disclosure as part of a Donor List.

And since GoFundMe washes its hands of anything the organizer does with the personal information of every donor they get, the party basically now has a list of people who are at least sympathetic and willing to put cash up. Presumably, this also means they can give or sell this donor list to others, though I'll admit I'm unclear on the legality of that in Canada.

Some of the big donations, in the five figure range, were anonymous, so presumably they don't get the same level of info, but lots of people glommed onto this for freedom and are now almost guaranteed to be part of a database of potential piggy banks to hit up for other fundraisers.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

The challenge is out, lets see which province can out-stupid us this time.

Also Im loving how quickly right the right wing morons on twitter keep growing the numbers of trucks/people with every retweet for this stupid convoy. Last one I saw before it destroyed what little faith I had left in humanity was saying over 100k trucks and 2 million people.

I dont think Canada even has 2 million unvaccinated people or 100k transport truck drivers.

https://twitter.com/CariKelemen/status/1486712492327800844

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

PT6A posted:

The thing I don't understand is: if you support truckers, and the working class in general, and opening as much of society back up as possible, aren't vaccine mandates and mask mandates the one thing that allows that to happen?

The illogic of these idiots is just stunning to behold. It doesn't make any sense and the media is presenting their mewling nonsense so uncritically.

They think masks and vaccines are part of a global plot to install authoritarian tyranny on western countries. These are people who think that reporting on COVID-19 statistics is a "crime against humanity" and they honestly think there will one day be trials against all of the politicians, doctors, and reporters who talked about COVID-19 in any way other than to say it isn't real or it isn't dangerous.

large hands posted:

No because COVID is a hoax/just the flu/won't hurt ME/the vaccine doesn't work anyway. Where have you been?

Sorry, Timmy, grandma has to die so that we can go to Perkins three times a week. The tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of patriots and who is more patriotic than grandma? She loves this country. She'd be happy to die of a horrible disease to know her children and grandchildren could go to a diner.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

I'm just disappointed there wasn't an evil George Soros in there somewhere.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Madkal posted:

Man gently caress the CBC and other media for giving wall to wall coverage to a bunch of whiny plague lovers. They are so freaking thirsty for this to turn into Canada's 6th January that they might as well beg these tantrum throwing adult toddlers to storm parliament.

It's such a mug's game because no matter how much coverage the mainstream media gives these clowns, they'll just turn around and claim they're being ignored anyway because they're liars.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

Downtown Ottawa has a very disproportionate homeless population so that's especially disgusting. SGH is overflowing into the street in all but the harshest weather, and there's the entire market plus lovely fast food on Rideau between there and Parliament.

So not only were there some of these protesters harassing staff and volunteers because they wanted to steal food from the homeless, they also assaulted someone who stays in the shelter. Then, when security came to help, they hurled racist slurs at the guard.

"Peaceful!"

Fortunately, people saw this and started donating to the shelter to offset the cost of the food and they got so much traffic at one point their site crashed.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Satellite images of the protest. https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/see-satellite-imagery-of-the-freedom-rally-protest-in-ottawa-1.5760510

Big crowds. Huge. Half a million, no, 1.4 million, no 3 million people. Biggest ever demonstration on Parliament Hill. No, biggest ever in Canada! NO, biggest ever in the WORLD!

Also this

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

https://twitter.com/OttawaPolice/status/1487947793696235522?s=20&t=Z2SVAXhnTda_86PrhGwbcw
bet a lot of people wish police would avoid instigation confrontations when it comes to traffic stops.

It sure is frustrating that we get de-escalation and confrontation avoidance when it's a bunch of angry white dudes, but not when it's basically anything else.

In 2020, the cops arrested 13 people who had set up a tent at a downtown intersection as a climate protest. They went in in the middle of the night, tore down the tent and charged everyone except a minor who was there with mischief. Said it was because of "major traffic disruptions" and "concerns for public safety."

Meanwhile, there are dozens of streets blocked off and practically inaccessible for going on three days now. There are apparently "several criminal investigations" now related to this thing. There's the constant horn honking for upwards of 18 to 20 hours straight each day, big crowds of people just flouting not even Covid rules, but basic city laws, and the cops are like, "Well, we don't want to anger these folks, you know."

They said this is costing them $800,000 a day. For what? They've arrested ONE person.

God, and I bet they'll use these protest costs as justification for an increased budget ask next year too.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

flakeloaf posted:

Clear two square kilometres of roadway and provoke a fight with ten thousand people, without turning them into pariahs and getting a lot of people on both sides hurt and turning the area into giant icy flaming mess?

Nah. Take pictures, run plates, get names, find out where they live and send local cops out to get them, only to find out they won't do that because they are themselves chuds, and in the meantime, everyone who lives nearby that can't pass for alt-right gets to hide inside and hope the mob doesn't see them :aces:

Basically all of the OPS budget is payroll, and they're wildly undermanned for a city this size. Paid duty's fuckin expensive.

You're right and sorry if I came off a bit hot there. It's been a stressful weekend and I am in favour of police de-escalating and not resorting to cracking skulls with plated gloves. I just have to wonder if these people just get the run of downtown for as long as they want. I don't want to see a giant fight. I don't want to see cops beating people up or anything like that. But this is barely a coherent protest at this point, it's just noise.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Fidelitious posted:

Basically, this ain't no march from Selma to Montgomery.

A couple of years ago, some Q Anon guy came to town with a couple hundred people and marched from the Hill to the U.S. Embassy (which was closed because it was Canada Day) to deliver a document demanding Trump arrest Trudeau for child trafficking under the CUSMA trade agreement because :shrug: It was insane and pointless (he also went to the Mexican embassy with the same document and asked the woman at the counter to deliver it to "President Maduro") but it was at least a semblance of a plan.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

CTV reporting the death in ambulance story is false.

https://twitter.com/ColtonPraill/status/1488185015750074374

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

PT6A posted:

Also, they are protesting for the end of public health mandates, which is fundamentally an act of violence towards those people the public health mandates exist to protect.

They're also largely provincial in nature. I suppose one could make the argument that there are mandates in all of the provinces so getting national attention gets the point across everywhere, but the main message seems to just be "gently caress Trudeau."