Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Reminder to listen and donate to Canadaland if you can. Their new series on Real Estate is very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I guess we'll find out later if it's worthwhile to get AZ as your second shot if you're already in Pfiz Crew or are a Modernite?

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jun 1, 2021

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Hey guess who's loving lovely yet again!

(Not Canadaland, it's national disgrace Rosie Dimanno)

quote:

Toronto Star Columnist’s Homeless Cosplay Experiment is Journalistic Malpractice
Rosie DiManno goes undercover to become a poverty tourist
JUNE 1, 2021
OPINION BY REBECCA TUCKER
FEATURED
ROSIE DIMANNO
TORONTO STAR

PRINT
On May 17, the Toronto Star published a piece by Rosie DiManno recounting a night during which she, pretending to be an unhoused person, infiltrated an encampment at Trinity Bellwoods park. In the piece, DiManno, among other things, characterizes an individual who “shows all the signs of needing a fix” as a “menacing presence”; mocks an art gallery set up by residents as “childish”; and describes a couple who welcomed her into their tent as “reeking of weed.”

It would be easy to dismiss the column, which ran on the Star’s front page, as just another case of DiManno being DiManno: a writer whose greatest hits include using the term “n-word” in jest, outing a sex worker ahead of her good-character hearing before the Law Society of Ontario, and, most recently, calling the Star’s appointment of columnist Shree Paradkar as an internal ombud — an appointment meant to allow BIPOC journalists working for the Star to share editorial concerns they might not be comfortable expressing to their direct manager — ”a loving abomination.”

But there is something particularly callous about DiManno’s decision to embed herself in the encampment, interview a number of residents, and quote them in the piece using their real first names, without identifying herself as a reporter.

The practice of gaining informed consent from interview subjects is one of the core ethical tenets of journalism. Letting interview subjects know that they are, indeed, being interviewed first allows them the chance to decline (or go off-record), and second makes them aware that any answers they give to questions they are asked can (and will) be made public. This does allow interviewees to tailor their answers, which can sometimes be frustrating to reporters. But it is the fundamental right of any member of the general public (and those in positions of political and/or economic power) to decide whether they wish to engage with journalists, and to what extent.

In not identifying herself as a reporter, DiManno eliminated two key obstacles for herself, and for her piece: the possibility that she would receive anything but full, uncensored candour from marginalized individuals who might otherwise treat her with skepticism, and the chance they would refuse to let her carry out her homeless cosplay experiment entirely. Conversely, she didn’t provide them with the chance to decide what they wanted to talk about — or, put another way, she didn’t allow them an opportunity to contradict the tired tropes and harmful stereotypes about unhoused individuals that her column perpetuates and enforces (and which she went into the whole exercise apparently ready to enforce: she writes that she packed a pocket knife for the assignment). DiManno fully dehumanized an already marginalized community, using them as pawns to support her own contrived narrative, instead of presenting them as actual people with their own stories to tell.

If DiManno’s column served any purpose aside from trivializing the lived experiences of encampment residents by centering her experience as a poverty tourist, it’s difficult to see. She doesn’t note how often the police tear these encampments down. There is no mention of the housing crisis in Toronto, or any interrogation whatsoever of how individuals living in encampments end up there, aside from a blanket statement where she categorizes “many” unhoused people as “suffering from some kind of mental illness.” Housing advocates in Toronto, such as the Encampment Support Network, have long expressed frustration at the limited media attention on the encampments and other housing issues, such as ongoing evictions during the pandemic. This doesn’t help.

There are instances where going undercover as a reporter is appropriate. Per the Star’s own journalism standards: “Undercover reporting, photography and surveillance video should be used rarely, and a case must be made that the story to be uncovered is of significant public interest and the event to be investigated is a sustained, consistent practice, not a ‘gotcha.’ Advance approval by senior editors of any undercover work is required. In such cases, the extent of and reason for the deception should be clearly communicated in the resulting published reports.”

The Star column, a first-person meditation on just how uncomfortable a columnist felt around unhoused people, is not of significant public interest. While the encampments themselves are ongoing issues — and the city’s mismanagement of them is a sustained practise — DiManno’s piece doesn’t address any of this; her reporting is more “gotcha” than anything. By way of contrast, the same story can be done through above-board reporting on encampments. Global News’ Jeremy Hunka spent the night in a Vancouver encampment in 2014 and wrote a respectful and ethically sound piece.

And while she disclosed the deception in her Star piece, by way of explaining why interview subjects were only identified by first name (although, since subjects weren’t asked to consent to an interview, they couldn’t have been asked to consent to their first names being used, either), there’s no disclosure of the reason for the deception. Blatantly disclosing that the deception took place for the purpose of exploiting vulnerable sources presumably would not have been something the Star wanted in the public record.

This comes across as the sort of clear-bias journalistic malpractice that makes members of the general public distrustful of, if not vehemently disdainful towards, members of the press. It’s gotcha journalism, the type of high-gimmick, low-tact novelty storytelling that shouldn’t pass muster as reporting. And maybe DiManno’s editors knew this: she wrote in the piece that the column was produced “over editor objections.” It’s unclear, though, what those objections were, and neither the Star’s EIC, Anne Marie Owens, nor comment editor Andrew Phillips responded to Canadaland’s requests for comment.

After the piece was published, a Twitter user and encampment resident with the username @Grusomebrat published a widely-shared thread decrying the column as dehumanizing and violent. In the replies, another user suggested that at some point during her stay, DiManno was in fact recognized as a reporter. She was told to leave.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

lmao going from the apparently too-woke conservative journalism racket to performing arts is certainly a choice.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Fried Watermelon posted:

My left eye was sore after my second dose, I think I got the 5G Illuminati vaccine

Well at least your Chili and T-Boz were ok

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Capital Letdown posted:

Hi I’m the outreach worker from a week or three ago.

Hamilton city counsel voted last night to end the encampment protocol I posted about before, 10-2. No idea what’s going to happen moving forward in terms of the city’s plans for encampment evictions, etc.

It’s chaos for my team this morning, nobody has any idea what’s going on. It will probably be status quo for a few weeks and then we will see what happens after.

I'm so sorry this happened and that it was probably John Tory's bullshit eviction strategy that drove it.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Dumb question because I'm not a science guy. If there's different dose amounts, is there some reason the vaccination thresholds are based on age and not weight?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

prom candy posted:

What if something crazy happens like Justin Trudeau gets caught up in a blackface scandal

We had a referendum on blackface and Canadians came together in a unified voice to say, "it's good, actually"

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

HackensackBackpack posted:

Don't worry, they have a solid follow up.

https://twitter.com/CPC_HQ/status/1426242355422765056

Conservatives every day: "Trudeau must go!"
Trudeau: "Here's an election."
Conservatives: "No, not like that."

Holy loving lmao this is killing me

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

angerbeet posted:

Well a pandemic election should sure go off smoothly. Wonder who's going to be the first to claim it was rigged and demand to audit the results from the Sarnia curling rink scrutineers.

100% Polivere, only because Maxime prob needs an intern and 4+ drafts to get the tweet out correctly.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Look, stop getting in the way of the normally productive and healthy posting that usually happens in this thread and forum, capeesh?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

mila kunis posted:

PPC apparently polling at 6% in ontario? I'm glad it eats into the right wing vote but that's a bad sign.

Not surprised, Ford has a lot of the same issues as Kenny and the other PC premiers where even larger swaths of his base hate him for enforcing COVID measures at all. It'd probably be higher if the PPC had more presence or what candidates they do have wasn't a non-stop parade of freaks and geeks.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

You wouldn't download a house

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

RBC posted:

alberta is so bad lol.

Evergreen thread title

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

We just ordered these which are a little more expensive at $60/5 tests. They all basically seem to be the same product which are the ones sent home with my kids yesterday.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Powershift posted:

This is the company which had Jack Mintz on their board when he was appointed by Kenney to the AHS board.

Just before Kenney announced they were ending government testing during the Best Summer Ever, this company claimed they were preparing to set up their for profit drive thru testing centres around Alberta.

oh for fucks sake I hate this country

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

infernal machines posted:

We've done this dance four times now,

Uh I'm sorry but I had to report this to Doug's Dance cops.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I always knew exercise was unhealthy.

Good luck buddy, hopefully you dodged a bullet.

Look, it's simple.

Gym: unhealthy
Ordering $75 worth of Popeyes: about as healthy a thing as you can do

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

MA-Horus posted:

poo poo just got real

World Juniors got cancelled

I'm up in Northern Ontario and folks are apoplectic over this.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Wistful of Dollars posted:

They'll never find out; they don't have the internet.

Hey, you're now able to pay hundreds of dollars to Elon Musk for Starlink!

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

What the gently caress am I supposed to do with "most positive RATs don't require PCR follow-up"? lmao

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

large hands posted:

. Your best bet is to show up in full ppe and voice your protest to the judge, they will almost certainly dismiss you.

This reminds me, I need to find some performative Bane-rear end mask to wear in case my employer decides to try to get us back in the office again.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Fornax Disaster posted:

They’ve got a fan pointed at the podium so he doesn’t overheat and get sweaty. I could see the next guy’s hair blowing.

That was him with anti-sweat measures? He still looked wet as poo poo.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

St. Dogbert posted:

So - who’s got two thumbs and just had his wedding cancelled for the second consecutive year?

drat cancel culture is out of control.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

PT6A posted:

I just get the feeling that it can't possibly be that simple, because if it were we'd be vaccinating everyone by force at this point. I dunno, maybe I'm a pessimist or my risk toleration is out of whack.

This isn't pessimism. Thinking that there any scenario where the government would forcibly vaccinate people is wide-eyed optimism or naivete that anything they do is to prevent deaths instead of promote them, when all indications are the opposite.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

quote:

The expression "emmerder", from "merde" (poo poo), that can also be translated as "to get on their nerves", is considered "very informal" by French dictionary Larousse and prompted immediate criticism by rivals on social media.

haha "you didn't use formal enough language when telling us to gently caress off! *sob*"

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Obama 2: The Second Obama

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Well the influencers got on the plane!
And the flight crew told them "stop doing cocaine"!
Now they're stuck in Cancun and they're fully to blame!
With another big load of podados

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

loving WHAT

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Is "sufficient" doing the heavy lifting there or what?

There's gotta be some serious calculus going on behind that statement.

There's no way to doublespeak around the fact that an N95 is significantly better. Omicron spreads faster than these numbers but you're still much better protected behind an N95 than any other option.

https://twitter.com/westmm4028/status/1479621236342751234?t=bvEpHq4l2HdacDX6xrdrbQ&s=19

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

It's loving Alberta, of course the answer is probably this

https://twitter.com/sunshinejennni/status/1479618444681093121?t=4rc3ujGiFScG_6nyE6PdhQ&s=19

pokeyman posted:

That chart is garbage
how so?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I would simply not do anything requiring me to go to an ER or hospital. Bing bong easy

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Anecdotally, it seems to be a whole lot harder to wear an N95 "wrong" than a cloth or surgical mask. You can't exactly wear an N95 under your nose or chin comfortably and think you're doing it right, while this is pretty easy to do accidentally with a cloth/surgical. I don't want to underestimate Canadian stupidity but at the bare minimum if you're wearing an N95 it's almost certainly covering your whole nose and mouth, even if the seal isn't perfect. .

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I've seen several people on the street recently that have demonstrated it's entirely possible to wear an N95 on your chin or under your nose.

Mad Hamish posted:

No-one is accidentally wearing a mask under their nose or chin. They know exactly what they are doing.

Both the cloth and surgical masks can and do slip, that's part of the reason they suck. I get it, it's definitely happened to me. But I do let my n95 hang around my neck when I'm, say, out walking my dog and am outside, well distanced, and interacting with no one.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I'm so far beyond caring what people think of the mask I'm wearing. Mind ya business

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

When does it start getting warm again. -20 is rude.

Prob April tbh, then it's wildfires till November

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

There were a lot of people out in Toronto on Saturday for an anti-vax protest too.

I think at this point we can just make it a landmark, it pretty much hasn't stopped since the pandemic began. I've been downtown less than ten times in the past year but they're always there.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Surely at some point we have to call in the Michaels.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

MA-Horus posted:

we are a remarkably ignorant country, and we grew up on american procedurals.

Mandatory viewings of Street Legal and Murdoch Mysteries in Canadian classrooms? You have my axe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Cut 10% from the Ottawa Police budget every day until the trucks are gone holy gently caress this is ridiculous.