Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

"you fuckers can't even follow your own rules" is SOP for the federal government, regardless of ruling party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I think the actual honest and decent thing to do would be to seize the church's assets in this country under whichever criminal organization laws we have, and distribute the assets to first nations. Also, drop all the court fights.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I heard the federal public service can't print anything. Anyone feel like carrying a printer for the Queen?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Plenty of dogs enjoy a nice splash in the river. Great way to beat the heat.

Bleck posted:

Dogs are the most dangerous animal in the world (snip)
When's the last time a dog dropped a bomb on a wedding?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Starting my new life in Canada by embracing the quirks of local culture. Just out for a rip, drinking a double double, on my way to the keg. Might sign up fo a million dollar mortgage later.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Cocaine Bear posted:

Wait, so that 14 words slogan with the letters docking into a weird limp swastika is real? Like not a lazy in the nose joke?

Great.

Motherfucker has his dog whistle tuned to 1.5kHz at 80dB.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

infernal machines posted:

It could also be a lock, frankly it doesn't matter much. It is not a swastika or anything like a swastika is my point. There's no need to go digging for Nazi symbology and white power coding in CPC ads. They suck out loud enough without having to try to make everything Nazi adjacent too.
The loud dog whistle right in the middle of the human hearing range was the mailer and slogan about "Securing the future".
One does not need to look any further than that to see the blatant white supremacist signaling.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

HackensackBackpack posted:

O'Toole is also promising to repeal bills that died on the order paper.
Lol I missed that one. Could you explain a bit more?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

TheCenturion posted:

I miss seeing my new Star Wars toy come trundling down the rollers at Consumers Distributing.
Oh wow, that was a long buried memory. Just swap out new tape deck for SW toy.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Seems like the poster who is being referred to as a tankie is calling for less loving around in other countries, not more. Problem being, they seem to see us as part of the American empire. We are a client state. "Cooked barbarians", if you will. We can only say no so loud, and so often. I suspect that would have less effect on the empire's tiller than may be taken for granted.

Eta. Yeah, it's lovely we got caught in the middle of this.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

any chance of a non-paywalled version of the story?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I've only ever dipped my toe in Quebec for a night of drinking at 18, since Ottawa wouldn't serve me. Like our good squirrel friend said, as a visitor, a smile, pointing, and an attempt at using my cereal box Francais worked great. Same when visiting the tiny village in France where my MIL lived, and same when I got a few hours to leave the ship in Tunisia.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

half cocaine posted:

who cares other than people who receive stfx and uoft alumni newsletters?
I know nothing of any of this, but if it means the elites at the top of a cdn telco get a bit of a black eye, then I can dig it.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

half cocaine posted:

Don't you dare suggest inheritance taxes.
I think Jimmy's one of those "screw everyone, especially my kids. Pile my tomb high with lucre. I'm taking it with me" types.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

I believe most fish farms at the moment are stationary net enclosures floating in the ocean, but close to land for access and probably in some undeveloped cove to not disrupt anything and to protect against storms. They are filled with hundreds of thousands if not millions of fish. The problem is that fish piss and poo poo, or whatever fish do, a lot. Even with a consistent current through the net that many fish in a small area will quickly create an unnatural biohazard that not only infects the fish in the net with some nasty diseases and parasites but affecting marine life in the surrounding area as well. The currents necessary to allow the fish in the farm to even survive long enough to adulthood can carry all the problems a surprising distance.
Truth.
There is a small tank based farm on land near Port McNeill, owned by one of the local first nations, but there are countless more in the waters nearby, owned by some Norwegian multinational corp.
Apparently the tank based ones allow for better control and monitoring of conditions, so you can have healthier, less stressed livestock. Buuuuuuut, all that infrastructure and operating the system is more expensive than a floating net enclosure anchored just out of most public view, so it's not the absolute cheapest way of doing things. Of course, you get a lot of pushback from those with an interest in the status quo when you suggest that there might be a less harmful, more sustainable method.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

DrBox posted:

Yeah trolling the ocean to feed fish guts to fish farms. If we really gave a poo poo about sustainability (to say nothing of the animals themselves) we'd just be eating plants.
And probably more insects

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Saw this surplus listing just now, and thought of HAL https://www.gcsurplus.ca/mn-eng.cfm?snc=wfsav&sc=enc-bid&scn=402028&lcn=551065&lct=L&srchtype=&lci=&str=1&lotnf=1&frmsr=1&sf=ferm-clos

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

There should be a process where somebody can say "Your illness is impacting the quality of your work to an unacceptable degree. We need you to take the time necessary to get better."
That should be compassionate enough.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Fart Amplifier posted:

Would it? There's no additional incentives to not break the law that a government can offer in that scenario.

That's the case for any loss of value, such as corporate fines, which are already ineffective.

The real solution is to put real people in jail, since only people can actually commit crimes.

you've hit on something here. This line of thinking deserves more work. It's starting to raise some interesting questions and hypothetical scenarios in my mind re: AI committing financial crimes, automated botnets, etc.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Franks Happy Place posted:

Well at the moment BC is literally cut off from the rest of North America by land for the foreseeable future, so I guess our theoretical status in the Canadian poo poo tier pecking order is purely hypothetical at this point.

If you'll excuse me, I'm off to Costco to stock up on supplies before the crunch for food really bites.

This is some little Toronto syndrome thinking. You are not the center of the universe. The Vancouver area is not the province of British Columbia. Your small area might be cut off, not the whole province. Good idea to stock up though. And I agree we have a garbage gov.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Guess where the wood pulp comes from?

loving Crofton or Nanaimo probably.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

edit: whatever not worth it, stay dry you lovely fellow
You know what?
Thank you for redacting whatever that was, and I'm sorry for being hostile. I dropped a lovely hot-take that was unprovoked.
I lurk here all the time, and usually don't post because I catch myself before I make a fool of myself.
Today is an off day, and one slipped through.
I should have recognised the stress and frustration that was obviously being expressed in your post.
I was unkind, and would like to apologise .

Silver lining being, there are good paying jobs available right now in the various marine industries.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

ARACHTION posted:

These dumb BC NDP mother fuckers. The BC libs would have been sure to evacuate to then buy land and resell it as waterfront property.

Do you want ants Albertans? Because that's how you get ants Albertans.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Argas posted:

Fortunately/unfortunately climate change doesn't obey provincial borders.
Strangely, it would appear as though climate change is leading our local Canada Goose population to respect the border and not head south for the winter.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

eXXon posted:

Apparently packs of dozens of feral hogs are a genuine problem in many parts of Canada. Guess we have to loosen assault weapon restrictions.

That is what I've always seen as a good use for an AR, apart from target shooting. Too small of a calibre for deer.
Quick follow up shots could be useful when there's a herd tearing up your garden, and they have a predilection for fighting, rather than fleeing when scared/angry.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Capital Letdown posted:

I like to exercise and read 20 year old dead forums for my self care.

My social worker/therapist seemed to legitimately think BYOB was good for me when I discovered it, and shared that with her. "It's a message board just about being chill, and people are nice to each other." She seemed a little confused at first, but agreed I could use more chill.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

infernal machines posted:

same.

there's also at least one atlantic province i've completely forgotten the existence of
I believe it's called "The Fiefdom of Irving" and we're not allowed to know more than that.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

ChickenDoodle posted:

Update in BC:
https://twitter.com/j_mcelroy/status/1476330408614588416?s=21

B.C. health officials announced a record-breaking 2,944 new cases of COVID-19 since Tuesday and five more deaths since Dec. 24.

So your genius plan is to… let SOME kids go to school, and then a week later, let the rest?

Incompetent assholes, the lot of them.
Honestly surprised they didn't stick to "Dr. Bonnie (PBUH) sez kids don't spread covid. Schools are open."
Reducing the number of people in the building for a time might slow some of the spread, which is more than I expect from this clownshow of a gov

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Might be people chasing quick and easy money in highly speculative markets.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

This sum sorta 'merican psyop? Freakin mod listens to feedback a couple of times within the past day!? No double down on kneejerk actions? Didn't even make me idly think "whoever gave this clown buttons is sure to regret that!".

Dang Koos Group, I'm unfamiliar with yah, but nice job so far in here.

Reasonable mod action makes me a bit nervous about when the other shoe will drop, or rug pulled out, etc.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Here's a no brainer choice:
Increase your tax base by drawing from a world wide talent/knowledge/experience pool, while simultaneously expressing compassion for those who need to flee their homes due to factors outside their control, or you could do it via homegroan wheat kings / oilmen / loggers.

Having been raised by and around "old stock" shitheads, I would say we've have enough of us, let's see where else we might gain strength from.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Alctel posted:

~snip~
As an English expat myself, it's always awkward meeting another one as there is a very good chance they will be completely insufferable. Referring to themselves as an expat instead of an immigrant is normally a good sign of this.
In my mind, and not sure how it got there, an expat would be someone who gets a job in their home country, and is sent to work at a location in another country, for a limited amount of time. They are an expat in the second country with no intention of staying beyond the assignment/contract/gig. They are there to work, then go home.
An immigrant has the intention of moving their home to the second country.

Is that not how these things are supposed to work?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Duck Rodgers posted:

An expat is a white person from a rich country going to live in a developing country. An immigrant is a racialized person from a developing country going to live in a rich country. At least that's how they're generally used in my experience.

Ex pats generally don't have to worry about their official status or try to fit in at all. They can live in a country for decades without trying to get citizenship, not learning the language etc etc and still expecting to be catered to

Damnit, why does the reality always have to be lovely?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Yeah fit testing. My employer has been obligated to fit test and provide me with a full face respirator. Testing must happen on a 2 year schedule. I have been fit tested 3 times since I started in 2008. Never been provided a respirator.
But if I let my stubble grow more than a micron, there's some officious prick jumping straight on my rear end telling me to shave.

It has always been about the facade.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

leftist heap posted:

Starting to think PT6A doesn't know anything at all about kids lmao
He knows how it felt for him as a kid, and some of what he's saying resonates with me too, regarding experiences at school. While some are able to synthesize tgoughts by incorporating their own childhoods with experience looking after children as an adult, others may be only applying their own first hand knowledge of what it feels like as a child. I don't think the perspective of how it might feel as a kid is invalid, nor do I think that any perspective can encompass the whole picture.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

pokeyman posted:

I've heard it said that Nova Scotia is a good place to tear your knee because we have a lot of cadavers. Phrased that way it's almost a twisted kind of boosterism
Strange way to attract a CFL franchise.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I'm with ARACHTION on this one. Everyone at my work wears them due to the ease of putting them on and off. We need steel toes part of the time, but not in the office. West coast location though. I wouldn't wear them in the snow.

Regarding the cowboy hat analogy, the presence or absence of blundstones doesn't really tell at a glance how likely someone is to call me a f*g and throw a punch. The hat can sometimes be a good warning sign.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jan 19, 2022

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

stab posted:

I'm starting my venom immunotherapy in the next few weeks and oh boy let me tell you I can't wait

loving venom was 800 bucks AFTER insurance

????? Like snakes, or spiders, or????
Could you explain this please?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Ahhhhhh. Thank you. And gently caress those yellow jacketed assholes.
Please do get so immune that your soul actively repels them from this land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It's fine, it only kills people who are useless to society.
Hasn't taken out a single premier yet.