Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011
I think the US also has the issue that a sizable number of Republicans are anti-vaccination specifically because Democrats are pro-vaccine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

vyelkin posted:

The CBC used to have a comments section where anonymous users without accounts could vote comments up and down. It was the best comments section on the internet, the top-rated comments tended to be thoughtful and helpful and all the racist garbage was downvoted into oblivion. Then they changed it to a system where only logged-in users could vote and there were no more downvotes, and the racist garbage floated to the top immediately. Now they just don't have comments on like half the website because they drove away all the good commenters and the only people left are the ones who call for genocide under every article.

I wonder what the rules are for closing CBC comments, I have a few guesses:

i) An indigenous issue or person is mentioned in the article.
ii) Article is about a woman under the age of 18.
iii) Issue affecting racial minorities.
iv) Issue affecting LGBT.
v) Article about the police.

I also wonder if there was a memo sent that's like "Close comment section on the following types of articles:"

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

Arivia posted:

To give the CBC a little credit, they proactively don't even open comments for most articles like that.

That's what I mean. Like what are the rules for not having comment sections.

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

linoleum floors posted:

That corp buys houses through private sales undercutting the local market then divides them into basement, main floor duplexes rented out at above market rates.

Ever get those flyers offering to buy your house for cash ( at two thirds market value)? Yeah thats how they're buying houses.

A couple weeks ago, at 9:00pm on a Saturday, we were sitting in our front room watching the Leafs massively choke. And a white BMW with completely black-tinted windows and its high-beams on pulls up in our driveway. We just bought this house from a cop last year. So I'm sitting thinking, "we're about to get murdered". But it's some dumb loving realtor following up on her stupid "hand-written" letter asking to buy our house. Life gently caress off you dumb fucker.

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011
IIRC, the French state seized church property during the revolution and used it to pay off their debts. Let's do that.

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

infernal machines posted:

Oh yeah, that's fair. Although I don't know how many of them post here.

I was speaking with someone who works in a LTC centre in rural Ontario and she was talking about how many of her coworkers are refusing to get vaccinated. It was mind boggling, even more so that they can, and they can keep their jobs.

I think getting people in LTC vaccinated will be difficult. There's not many people willing or desperate enough to do those jobs. They can't lose half the workforce. And lol if you think the companies are going to raise salaries.

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

Fidelitious posted:

I don't know poo poo from all the legal perspectives but there's no doubt that it's a blatant example of fraud https://www.antifraudcentre-centreantifraude.ca/scams-fraudes/f-billing-facturation-eng.htm
Does this make it a violation of criminal/civil law? I dunno.

The fact that it's election related probably brings more laws into play.

I also think it's likely that someone would actually have to pay them the money as 'attempted fraud' may be even more shaky.

In any case, it's not good for them that's for sure.

If I get one of these, should I consider paying it so I can gently caress with them? Or would it likely just end up as a free $300 for the cons?

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

Pleads posted:

rip, a fun concert I was looking forward to this week has been canceled because Calgary is a loving wasteland of covid. Glad we opened 'er up and removed all those restrictions to help local businesses.

I have a wedding to go to this weekend in calgary, my wife's the maid of honour. Gotta update my will I guess.

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

Furnaceface posted:

e: Oh god I just scrolled past the Alberta covid numbers post. Approaching Florida levels of spread. :stare:

Being in Calgary this weekend, you can see why. It seems almost performative, how everyone is acting. It's like "look at how little we care about covid".

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

Another Bill posted:

https://twitter.com/CanadianPolling/status/1432563669066518533

https://twitter.com/Christos_Canada/status/1432706163817205775

The numbers seem to be a bit different depending on which company you ask, but you're right about them not providing useful information on seat counts.

I will laugh so hard if the Liberals get a majority with like 30% of the vote, on the back of the conservatives running up the score in the prairies.

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011
Right wingers : I should be able to run over BLM protestors for making me 5 minutes late for my Tim's run.
Also right wingers: I should be able to block the loving ER for my protest.

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

Halisnacks posted:

Sorry for the likely basic Canadian politics question.

With the most likely outcome of the election being no majority again, why don’t we see coalition governments in Canada? I get that in a “Liberal plurality but no majority” situation, the CPC would be unlikely to find a coalition partner, but is there any reason for there to be a CPC government with the confidence of parliament outside of a Conservative majority situation?

It happened with a Harper minority. Iirc the conservatives took out ads basically calling coalitions undemocratic. And also the liberals would rather conservatives govern, than compromise with the NDP.

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

Normy posted:

Most of the more radical leftists who engage in electoral politics still vote NDP due to viability but the PPC crowd is definitely loud, united, and growing.

Also, the leftists are correct.

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

Normy posted:

I'm not convinced ranked choice would benefit the Liberals the most. The NDP is the #1 second choice for almost all other parties' supporters.

It's also not true in the long term. The political landscape already changes over time, and would definitely shift drastically in reaction to going ranked choice.

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

Mr. Apollo posted:

I assumed the Liberal executive had him call this election as an excuse to put Freedland in charge.

Judging by all the survey calls I got in the months leading up to the election, the executive knew what the electorate thought of Trudeau.

If he loses, Freedland is put in charge right away. If it’s a minority, he’ll step down shortly afterwards saying something about how the party should have a new leader. If it’s a majority, he’ll step down after about 2 years so there can be a convention and Freedland can be party leader for at least a year before the next election.

I think pretty much every liberal leader will be thought of similarly to Trudeau going forward. The right wing media machine has become too good at demonizing their opponents.

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

Typo posted:

If you do the math, the majority of the PPC gains in this election are from 2019 non-voters and a tiny fraction of Green party voters rather than defections from the tories.

This suggests very strongly to me the PPC gains are from single issue anti-vaxxer voters, rather than affinity for more general right-wing ideology

Unless I'm misreading the graph, 3% of conservatives would be larger than 4% of greens. I'm also sceptical al any of those nonvoters will vote this time.

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011
https://mobile.twitter.com/escrimshaw/status/1439222895121772544

PPC at 21% in Alberta. Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

Fidelitious posted:

That's pretty big, but is it enough to change any results from splitting the vote? I would say no, but also Alberta's seats are irrelevant anyway.

It's impossible to tell. Canada's polling is bad in the first place. But maybe this could swing some of the cities? We don't have granular enough information to get a good idea.

It's not like it can get any worse, so anything is a bonus.

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

Randalor posted:

Doesn't Alberta normally go full CPC anyways? I mean, all this means is that we now know for sure that Alberta is at least 20% racist.

It's worrying to me because, how many PPC voters would get on board with a legit fascist movement? 80%? 90%?

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I'm a little suprised to hear that the dependents of CAF Electors can't piggyback on the same system as military folks when they're posted overseas. That's pretty frustrating.

Man, whatever the outcome is, the election results are going to be extremely interesting to follow.

Major "may you live in interesting times" vibes here.

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

Pleads posted:

While I get the general sentiment of "don't call an election during a pandemic," most of the tut-tutting I've heard has come from the CPC who are basically solely responsible for it still being dangerous to go out in public right now so I mostly just hope they all drown in their own lung juices so we can move on.

They were also calling for us to turf Trudeau for the entire pandemic. What did they mean by that? Did they mean to get rid of him without having an election?

:magemage:

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011
Starting to :derp: over here.

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

Le Saboteur posted:

With loser talk like this from O'Toole's campaign manager I wouldn't be too worried about Conservatives gaining power tonight. https://www.thestar.com/politics/fe...servatives.html

Trump thought he was gonna lose too. I wouldn't trust a conservative to be smart enough to tell if they were winning.

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011
Pretty sure cbc guy heavily implied he called the cops on the ppc.

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

Kale posted:

You can't make them wear that muzzle etc. They're exempt!!!!!

My guess is the constant bleat against him by the National Post and Sun Media and how it's basically the newspaper of choice in every coffee shop and Subway around the country I've ever visited eventually just gets to people whether they notice it or not because I hear a poo poo ton about how people her in Ontario really really hate Justin Trudeau and want him gone but not a whole lot of specific reasons as to why. That's like the common refrain of the Conservative voter though and hard to argue with most of them that I've talked to because they don't really know what they are arguing about. It's almost never a vote FOR the PC or CPC but a vote against Trudeau who is just the absolute worst and so on.

Also any time I've googled anything particularly Canadian politics related in the past year or so but not a specific outlet it almost always put a right-biased Sun or National Post article right at the top couple of results and it's almost always some editorial about how Trudeau sucks, Singh sucks and O'Toole is the only good choice. There's just lots of ways for the uninformed but easily motivated by outrage voter to hear about how he is the just the absolute worst out there and needs to go.

I agree with this, the right wing propaganda machine had become very strong at demonizing liberal and left politicians. I think liberals need to come to terms with rotating leaders every few election cycles, because they wont be able to stay popular.

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

MakaVillian posted:

Thanks for the education, I didn't know that.

Trudeau is hated in Alberta for 3 "reasons": He's the son of PET, some vague pipelines/O&G anger (even though he's apparently spent more money on the sector according to some CBC article I can't find anymore) and the fact he was a Drama Teacher, which is bad for some reason .

This is because they know they can't call him gay anymore.

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

Sashimi posted:

Since this is the second election in a row where the CPC has got more votes than the Liberals yet ended up with significantly fewer seats, why aren't they screaming at the top of their lungs for electoral reform? It plays into the conservative persecution complex, and gives them plenty of mud to sling at Trudeau since it was his government that immediately dropped that campaign promise once elected in 2015. This seems like it should be a slam dunk issue for them to take up, am I missing something?

Because, if they get 33% of the vote in a proportional system they would have very little power. They would rather lead government with ~1/3 of the vote about half the time than never lead government.

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

Alctel posted:

We should be arresting more CFOs, not less imo

Start with the lovely Canadian ones then. Loblaw and any oil company.

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

apatheticman posted:

The only moral move Canada could have done was pretend to be loving inept and let her get through.

This is what I said at the time. Should have pretended to try to capture her, and deliberately hosed it up.

Edit: probably could have just assigned one of the many know fuckups to be in charge.

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

Fart Amplifier posted:

You can't arrest a premiere for doing a bad job

Tell that to Louis XVI.

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

enki42 posted:

Foreign buyers just seem like participants in the fundamental problem with the system, which is real estate used primarily for speculation and investment over residency. Ban foreign home ownership and there's plenty of willing Canadians willing to snap up the property to realize their dreams of being landlords or watching their home value go up.

Literally no party is willing to touch this with a ten foot pole, so it's going to get worse for quite a whole longer.

Honestly, the solutions seem pretty simple. But lol if you think anyone's gonna do anything about it. We shouldn't be targeting foreign buyers, we should be targeting all speculators.

We fundamentally need to increase supply and reduce demand, with things like:

i) Massively punitive empty house taxes, complete with rewards for snitches. And if you lie about it, straight to the gulag.
ii) Sin taxes on rental income.
iii) Smart housing development. We all know what this is, not just condos and mcmansions.

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

Another Dirty Dish posted:

Same experience in Montreal and Quebec City with my wife, I got along fine in Montreal speaking English and with my wife speaking French (she lived in Rimouski for a bit) but once we got to QC I think I talked to maybe two people. I gotta say though, français québécois is easy to understand compared to some of the Acadian dialects - I could understand the gist of what they were saying in Quebec, but I’ve never understood anything someone from Cheticamp or Arichat said to me.

Saw a few headlines about an Alberta referendum on equalization payments. Is there anything they can actually do if they vote to stop the payments? I thought it was basically a federal redistribution of funds.

No, it's purely for crying purposes.

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011
You can still verify your vaccine status with the piece of paper if you don't have a phone right?

Calumanjaro fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 21, 2021

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011
Conservatives think that since they had to hide their seven copies of Mein Kampf that he should have to hide his bicycle as well.

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

Ho ho, I have indeed shambled into that one.

And yeah, my life is worth way more than a $500 fine.

EDIT:

I am in healthcare, so I am woefully aware of that fact.

I got one about a year ago and ignored it, nothing happened. But we were moving soon so I had plausible deniability.

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011
Why can't the cops just grab and arrest a couple of the most assholish looking?

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

egg tats posted:

but alas that might have cost some amount of money and liberals don't like to intentionally spend government bucks on things that dont enrich themselves personally if they can help it

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011
Just run commute plebs :smuggo:

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011
I saw my first "I dont wear a mask" in the wild last weekend. He looked exactly as you imagine, a pale pasty potato of a man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

PT6A posted:

I just want to make sure I’ve understood you correctly: parents of these schools are upset there’s… not enough cars near where their children go to school? And angry about infrastructure that would let their children bike to school safely?

Am I having a stroke?

People who read the Sun are irredeemable. For some reason this seems to be true for all papers called the Sun, across a variety of countries.