Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
I never thought the "just had a shower after a run" guy would also be a mug pisser. Oh Canada indeed.

Hope he remembered to dump it and didn't leave it on his desk........

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
How the heck does Alberta justify fining students, of all people, for not disclosing their student status?

I recall my student days. I was poor as dirt trying to work and get through all my classes. A fine like this would be devastating. Why would they do this?

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

CopywrightMMXI posted:

The Regina city Police got a $3.8 million increase this week. They said body cams ($1.2 million) were too expensive but for an increase so they could buy a plane.

I'm still in the "wtf" mode from this decision. Why the hell do they need a plane?? Saskatoon had one for a while, then they got rid of it because it was a waste of money.

Give the cops money to fly a stupid plane around a tiny city like Regina for...reasons?

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

Pleads posted:

The schedules are wildly different, road tripping to Regina for a Riders game once every couple weeks (and max like 10 times a season even with a deep playoff run) is a lot different than 41 home games on all days of the week.

Still, I'd be interested to see what a Sask proposal would have looked like. afaik Saskatoon has the only NHL-sizedish arena in the province and that's from when they were trying to land the Blues in the 80s.

Same. My dad still has a couple Saskatoon Blues hats from when they tried back in the 80s!

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Honestly, showing pictures of diseased junk sounds like it would probably be effective on teenagers.

That's what they did in my Saskatoon high school! I still remember pictures of infected parts they showed us. It was nasty as poo poo.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

ZShakespeare posted:

I thought the point of banning plastic straws was to make a visible step at addressing plastic pollution in a way that would simultaneously make people upset and not actually reduce plastic pollution by any meaningful amount.

The Canadian Solution. Brought to you by the Liberal party of Canada.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

Charles Bukowski posted:

gently caress em, gently caress em in the mouth. I want cheaper cheese and less bellyaching about how hard it is to be a small business man. Or, I'd like for us to stop dairy farming and grow more soy? Maybe those farmers can go work at an industrial farm, im sure their experience would be quite useful for them.

Thing is, farming isn't simple. The main issue (and cause for the griping) is that the greatest portion of our arable land in the country (the prairies) are rainfed and basically completely reliant on weather (rain) to produce anything.

Sure, we've made a great deal of progress with new technologies like zero-till production, crop breeding, livestock genetics and feeding practices, but it still all boils down to water availability (which is generally lacking in AB and SK anyway).

Couple that with farming being incredibly capital intensive and risk based because you have to buy everything up front on credit, you get some pretty intense opinions out there when the weather isn't cooperating.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

PT6A posted:

I've tried that the past two elections, it doesn't appear to be working.

And with Jagmeet "Throw Money at Mortgages" Singh, even that option is fairly disgusting.

I fail to understand how voting for the cons will lead to anything aside from more rapid dismantling of every social system we have. You've made it clear that your issue is housing and that the NDP is for whatever reason not tenable for you.

But somehow the cons, that present no coherent policy on anything, is better than either the libs or NDP?

I almost can't believe I have to type this out, but if you think a con minister is somehow going to be more effective than a lib minister at doing anything (except dismantling social structures/shutting down programs/selling off assets), well, you ought to brush up on history, perhaps what happened under the last streak of con governments or the one just before that one).

I can't believe I'm defending the libs.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

Bleck posted:

Frankly I don't think either of these posts address my concerns with this program. While not a parent myself, the experience of the parents in my social circles has entirely been "yeah nothing has changed where we are [Ontario]."

The daycare program has made an immense difference for me and people I work with. If you're in a registered daycare or centre, you're saving nearly $600 per month, per child.

I don't understand how anyone could think this is not impactful.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

Bleck posted:

Gesturing politely but exasperatedly at these two things one after the other and nodding slowly

I don't understand what you want here. We have progress and costs are being lowered, which is what I thought you were asking for. Evidence is provided and then you move goalposts.

Things aren't perfect by any means and this was a program that has helped a lot of parents. It isn't enough (because there aren't enough registered daycares) but we're way better off today than five years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

Bleck posted:

"What about the child care thing?"
"It probably doesn't help very many people."
"But it did help some people!"
"Yeah, but probably not very many. Definitely not a lot."
"But it did help some people! I don't know why you think it didn't!"
"Not saying it didn't. Saying it didn't help many."
"But it did help some people! Why are you mOvInG tHe GoAlPoStS?"

gently caress off with this poo poo.

breh

I don't get why I'm getting this hostile response. I shared a personal experience. My experience doesn't match what people in your circle have experienced.