Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

vyelkin posted:

Jesus Christ this is grim. This school was in operation under the Catholic Church's control until 1969 and the Truth and Reconciliation Commission was only aware of 50 deaths there, partly because the Catholic Church refuses to release the relevant records.

I'll just drop in here to post the obligatory: gently caress all churches and gently caress religion. Whether it's murdering and raping children, or spreading plague, or engaging in settler-colonial adventures for centuries upon centuries, or any number of other things, religion is really loving bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
As much as I think it's important to actually find the bodies of these victims, I can't shake the feeling that some people are focusing on the wrong aspect of this. This wasn't a mystery, we knew children were being neglected, abused and killed because survivors told us. The discovery of mass graves that resulted from this is outrageous, and it's a sad reminder of what went on, but it shouldn't be a surprise unless you a) didn't believe the stories or b) imagined that all the bodies of the victims simply vanished into non-existence.

These children were dead long before the graves were found, and we knew they were dead because someone killed them, someone buried them, and a bunch of other children knew, and watched, and remembered even if they couldn't do anything about it. They told their stories, those stories have been documented, and the shock at the discovery of these graves has a distinct whiff of "oh my god, I didn't think they were telling the whole truth!"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

flakeloaf posted:

The stories told of the bones of actually hundreds of children, and nobody cared then

And the stories told of more who died trying to escape, ended up in lakes, were incinerated, etc. We have no reason to believe those stories are anything less than truth, and honestly we never did. When a bunch of people all tell very similar stories independently and for a long time, and they match up with what we know, it's loving ignorant to say "ah, well, you know.... I'd like to believe you, but there's really no proof."

I'd also like to bring up another aspect of the discussion that's really pissing me off: "they never taught us this in school."

That's probably true depending on where and when you went to school. And that should absolutely be changed, no question. But, again, these folks are telling on themselves. It's not like the stories weren't being told, it's not like the TRC wasn't covered when it was going on, and you're basically saying "they didn't spoonfeed this information to me as a captive audience, therefore I have no expectation of knowing it, because I have all the intellectual curiosity of a cucumber."

Do people graduate school and say to themselves, "right, well, that's over. Time to stop learning new things!" or something?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Pallister wants retroactive wage rollbacks for nurses for the past four years and the average payback would be $20k.

Wow that's absolutely vile!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Crow Buddy posted:

Even if you are a Canadian that believes they were really bad and were a genocide, you still were probably not actually expecting an unmarked mass grave of children that had kids dumped into it within living memory.

I mean, no offence meant, but what is the other possibility? We knew children would simply “disappear” so where exactly did you think they were ending up?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Tippecanoe posted:

I think there's a large propaganda machine in Canada dedicated to ideas like the residential school system was for the benefit of children, or that the acrimony between indigenous people and the government is based on cultural differences and not a history of colonialism and modern genocide.

Right, I was talking about the “Canadian who thinks they’re really bad, and genocide” but is then shocked by mass graves.

That’s usually what genocides look like: a bunch of dead bodies. And I mean maybe it’s the truth of “one death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic” and that, when people say “X number of people died” they don’t really connect that means X corpses as a result and they all end up somewhere.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

My football team, that is to say the football team that is mine that belongs to me, Anne Elk.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/concerns-raised-after-photos-of-alta-premier-ministers-dining-on-sky-palace-rooftop-emerge-1.5453488

Kenney and cronies photographed by a concerned Albertan dining outdoors together and flouting gathering rules by moving between indoors and outdoors for dining.

And honestly, if they were wearing masks while inside and actually distanced, I wouldn’t care. That should be allowed. But they are blatantly breaking their own rules, and specifically one of the rules which I find the most stupid and frustrating.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Kenney has zero support on this issue from anyone but his lackeys. Whether you think the rules are all stupid and we should just open ‘er up, or whether you think what he did was reasonable but clearly against the rules, or whether you think that situation is actually risky, the one thing pretty much everyone can agree on is that it was a fuckup.

I happen to think it’s not a big deal except for the fact that he violated some fairly unreasonable rules that he himself created and expected everyone else to abide by. We ought to be pissed, and the reason we ought to be pissed is the double-standard involved.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

terrorist ambulance posted:

Their whole thing has been blaming all the spread on social gatherings.

Yeah, but I mean we all know very well that was bullshit, and in those cases where it was true, it was more about indoor social gatherings (much more likely during winter) than having a meal outside. They're hypocritical pieces of poo poo, there's no doubt about that, but the issue here is, reasonably, not a few guys sitting outside on the deck (who, I should add, could be trivially contact-traced if it came to that, which is why I think this is safer than restaurant patio situations). That's simply not very risky now that case counts are reasonable and most people in Alberta have at least one dose of vaccine.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Lars Blitzer posted:

Case counts are reasonable for now. Who knows what they'll be in a couple of weeks once we open up further? The hypocrisy is that much more galling since this is the fourth? fifth? time Bumbles has done "Do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do." His base can only forgive so much. Speaking of which: https://www.skypalace.ca :lol:

Cases are reasonable right now, vaccines are increasing, and a small group of people gathering outside with reasonable distancing has always been reasonably safe. It was allowed last summer, people were doing it safely without vaccines at all, and the cases only started spiking in September when school started and things cooled down.

It's time, we should be allowed to gather outdoors again. Would it be better if they were further apart? Yes. But, overall, it's a pretty safe situation compared to literally any school and the vast majority of workplaces, and compared with restaurant/bar patios, it would also be trivial to contact-trace and isolate if necessary.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

apatheticman posted:

What is this line of thinking?

Politicians should be the last to integrate into society, they should be seen as making the same if not a greater sacrifice than they ask of us.

Not to mention the bullshit Kenney pulled during the pandemic, the Aloha gate poo poo and him coming back and saying hed throw people out of caucus if they were caught breaking the rules again.

Just because you want to do it, doesn't mean Kenney should be left off the hook.

I'm not saying he should be let off the hook, I'm saying that the thrust of the criticism should be "he broke the rules he created," not the actual act itself, because what he did would've been completely reasonable had it not been against his own stupid loving rules.

Malls are open, schools are open, patios are open, but this is still forbidden? It's madness, he realizes it's madness because he's simply ignoring the rules, but he hasn't changed the rules for everyone else. That's fundamentally different from AlohaGate when, what those people were doing was technically allowed by law, but strongly discouraged and actually risky in comparison.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Muscle Tracer posted:

I think it's meant to point out that this is bad because Kenney's actions are selfish and hypocritical, rather than because they're dangerous (as the whole "are they 6 feet apart?" thing implies).

Exactly. And frankly, I don't even really give a poo poo that they're on a pissup with a 40 of Jameson. Oh, horror of horrors, our politicians drink alcohol! Let's be perfectly honest: no work was going on, they were a bunch of colleagues getting drunk after work on the balcony while paying cursory attention to safety if not abiding by all the rules they set for themselves.

The issue for me is the hypocrisy. We aren't allowed, by law, to do what they did, regardless of whether it's a good idea or not. I happen to think that it's not a big deal if a few people want to get together outside and share a few drinks, even if they occasionally dip inside to have a wee or get in or out of the venue (provided they're masked while indoors). Again, you will recall we did this legally all last summer and it was fine, both legally speaking and public health wise, compared to other things which have been allowed when the data reflects that it's clearly high risk.

EDIT: And, frankly, the presence of waiters and other staff is another issue for me. Have a Jame-o pissup with your buddies on the balcony all you like, but pour it your loving self, you entitled halfwits.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jun 5, 2021

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I was thinking earlier today about the religious nut Boers at my work who ranted about how the pandemic was fake and vaccines are poo poo, so I did some reading about that history and now I'm more depressed than I was before and also, wouldn't it be great if we did away with Christianity? Maybe not everyone to begin with, we could start with eliminating Calvinism and see how that works out as a start.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Powershift posted:

The dumb motherfucker posted a video of himself getting arrested thinking it makes him a hero or something.

https://twitter.com/MaximeBernier/status/1403442934037495815

glad he recognizes his words are a weapon that can get people hurt

I'm disappointed, that's such a lack of a show compared with our local street preacher shrieking "why don't you shoot me, like a real Nazi?" and then being carried bodily to the cruiser.

Still fun to watch though.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Beelzebufo posted:

And organic agriculture, as long as its corporate!

There's no other kind, really. It takes so much work to obtain and maintain an organic certification that the chances of an independent farmer doing it, even if they don't use pesticides and such, is basically nil.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

The issue with Black political representation in Canada, is that every single party I've seen acts like the US GOP. They don't give a gently caress, they want to check off a box. The consequence of that is it you're not driven by distilled avarice, you're going to be driven out, because they won't defend you when racists attack you, and they won't listen to you when you say something they don't want to hear; if you are, you'll put up with it and you can have a fairly decent career at the cost of your morals.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

Well it's mostly the visitor parking fee thing since it sounds like they want to charge it everywhere. Seems like it'll be a lot of work to ever administrate and enforce in exchange for a pittance of a fee, in addition to being very annoying for road users.

Having lived exclusively in places with limited, paid parking for my entire adult life: anyone bitching about it can go pound loving sand at $3/day or $45/year.

I've never had free parking, why the gently caress should anyone else get it? And it's not like "oh well I didn't have free college, so other people shouldn't get it" because college is good, and encouraging car use is bad. And, uh, I'm pretty sure they can administer parking fees effectively, based on the numerous parking tickets people get all the drat time around here. The system definitely exists!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I like cars but it's not at all fair to have them heavily subsidized by the public down to "my car needs a place to live and it should have one for free."

Nah, people who need a place to live should have one for free. You can pay for the place you keep your drat car.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

ITT a lot of non-Black people speculating about how Black people should feel about things.

If Black Canadians want to celebrate Juneteenth, or if they feel it's American and not applicable to their experience, here are the acceptable things for a non-Black person to say on the subject:

"Okay"

And if you say, "well, I'm Canadian and not Black... should I be celebrating this holiday?" I would say: defer to your Black friends on the matter, if they are celebrating, then join them. And if you don't have Black friends, perhaps "celebrate" by getting out of your bubble. Or do that literally any other day, too.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

Minister of Culture Nathalie Roy announced that only Quebec music will be allowed to be played in all government buildings and phone lines.

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/only-quebec-music-to-be-played-in-government-buildings-minister-announces-1.5478242

Truly, the CAQ has their priorities straight.

Thank god for their quick action, that'd been weighing on me.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

If you want to talk about actual problems with this scheme, one that comes immediately to mind is, if this is designed to promote Quebecois artists and help them gain exposure, providing exposure in terrible quality in situations where people are already annoyed by being on hold is probably not a good way to do it.

Other than that, I don't see any points for or against it. It's just a waste of precious human effort to bother making and enforcing this rule.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

He's correct that we don't have any specific evidence at this point that mixing mRNA vaccines is effective. But by the same logic, we don't have any evidence that it doesn't confer complete immunity from all variants of COVID and make your dick three inches longer.

When the delayed doses plan was originally announced a bunch of people were freaking out that it might not be effective. Spoiler: it was actually more effective, but we still shouldn't do that anymore because a second dose at any time is better than a single dose. What we do know about mixing doses is that: it's safe, and what we can very reasonably conjecture is that, regardless of the vaccines involved, it probably has a high degree of efficacy. We don't know that for a fact, but at some point you just have to make reasonable assumptions.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

EngineerJoe posted:

That didn't last long:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/831805955402776576

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm getting really tired of the suggestions by politicians that youth are somehow hesitant to get their vaccines so we need a lottery or some other form of incentive to make our dumb baby brains realize that the adults know best.

The reason youth vaccination numbers are lower has less to do with youth arrogance and assumed immunity and everything to do with younger people needing to wait their turn while older demographics got their shots first. So Legault can piss off with his patronizing answer regarding ways to convince the under 40s to get vaccinated. Most of them are still waiting for their chance.

The other things that need doing:

1) More accessible sites. We saw this in Calgary: when you put a mass vaccination site very close to a community with low uptake, as if by a miracle, people start getting vaccinated!

2) Two consecutive paid days off, no questions asked, to receive a vaccine and recover from any side effects, for both doses.

Absolutely there are people who are anti-vaxx and won't be getting vaccinated no matter what you do, but if you have any areas/demographics that are specifically doing worse than the general assumed degree of anti-vaxx bullshit, you need to put on your thinking cap and start figuring out some solutions.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Fidelitious posted:

Because the media loves promoting clout seeking "experts" that they find on twitter and helping them spread their misinformation. Imgrund is notable simply for his astronomical ego.

I think we'd all love to pretend they don't exist but these are the people that create fear around specific brands, vaccine mixing, and who knows what else. They spread non-peer-reviewed opinions, are generally only tangentially qualified to speak about vaccine science/public health, and have no clue about responsible health communications. But they're the ones the media talks to because it's easy access.

Nah, this is bullshit and undersells the disgusting nature of what many news outlets are doing. I know McGill has the Office for Science and Society, and I imagine a lot of other universities have similar. They are a great source for nuanced discussions of a lot of these things in whatever level of detail you want, they make themselves available to the media upon request.

Many in the media want this bullshit "conflict" for its own sake, it's never about access.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

DariusLikewise posted:

I'm confused about Alberta and Saskatchewan completely dropping restrictions so soon, seems ill-advised with whats happening with the Delta Variant in the UK?

Wow, Moe and Kenney doing ill-advised things? Say it ain't so...

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Pleads posted:

Stanley's 18% is like, 1,500 people. A determined healthcare professional running around hogtying farmers and jabbing them could increase the percentage points of the area by a significant amount in one day.

This sounds like an excellent replacement for the Stampede. All of the chasing and tying, but it prevents disease!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

I love seeing friends that are nurses posting in Manitobans for Change on a post relating not-getting vaxxed to being a Jew in WW2 and Black people throughout history. Holy gently caress. Time to sever.

Yeah, definitely sever, genocide denial is a strict no-go.

And, make no mistake: that's what that argument is. If you say that not being vaxxed is like being a Jew in Nazi Germany, you are literally a full-blown Holocaust denier, full stop, and you deserve to be treated as one.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Why don't we just prosecute them? Literally nothing of value will be lost if every bastard responsible ends up in prison.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Yes, money motivates people, but how much money do you need to motivate someone to live long-term in a community that, due to historical neglect and being located in a place settlers didn't want, is frankly not a very nice place to live? Especially when they can easily make more money elsewhere and they have the money to leave?

You'd have to pay me a lot to move back to the town where I grew up, and it's positively charming and not very remote compared to a lot of the communities with serious water problems. And the cost of living is not especially high!

High pay with a rotation schedule like they do for the oilpatch camps in Alberta seems to be more feasible as a solution than "pay someone enough that they want to live long-term in a community they will eventually grow to resent."

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Cover the windows in tinfoil, to prevent the government from reading your thoughts AND ALSO reflect sunlight :v:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Everyone who a few years back told me "air conditioning isn't necessary in Calgary, it's a luxury" can lick my now-nicely-air-conditioned taint.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

The people building new condo buildings without central AC were, frankly, negligent.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Yeah, I had a south-facing unit with no AC a while back. It would get up to 28-29 indoors even with lower outdoor temperatures than this heatwave is bringing, so RIP whoever is living there now!

I wouldn't go back to a south-facing unit if you paid me. What a garbage aspect. Fools are like, "but it will be sunny and nice!" but it's really, really not. North and east is the way to go, I was sitting outside on my shady balcony this afternoon and that's the way to go, and on cool mornings the sun comes from the east, and then provides shade during the hottest part of the day. Once you know, you know.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

You could just do what Nenshi did and say, "we're still having fireworks, but now they'll be in remembrance of the children who died."

I've been liking him more lately, but I'll be damned if that's not literally the absolute least he could do.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

It’s basically Pompeii except ain’t poo poo gonna preserved. That’s the level of natural disaster that’s happening there.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Furnaceface posted:

Well, on the bright side that leaves out freezing to death or tornadoes. :v:

Now Im curious, how well funded is BCs emergency system for natural disasters? I cant imagine the BC Libs invested much, have the NDP spent anything on it?

The guy who just yesterday said “we were very clear that it’s hot! Not our problem if people die?”

Yeah I’m sure he did a great job.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Madkal posted:

I don't think every person in red and white is doing it to be openly antagonistic. I know a few immigrants that like to go all out for Canada Day and a few that where a hockey jersey and have drinks with pals. I've also lived in neighborhoods where people where people do fireworks regardless what is being celebrated (seriously who even acknowledges Guy Fawkes day in Canada)

Who doesn't celebrate Guy Fawkes day? It's great, you get drunk and have a bonfire if able, perhaps light some fireworks, and you can either celebrate the fact that he didn't blow up parliament, or the fact that he very nearly did (the latter being the typical mode of celebration in my experience). And in lieu of burning Guy in effigy, we burnt Bush several times, and Trump once. It's nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

The church in my neighbourhood got vandalized the other night. But, the leadership of the church... isn't being dumb as poo poo about it!

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/lets-not-just-cover-this-up-calgary-church-hopes-for-dialogue-as-cps-investigates-vandalism

There are responses other than "do nothing" and "loudly opine that vandalism is NEVER ACCEPTABLE."