Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
In some good news; today we finally hit the no-covid-deaths-to-report milestone, breaking a death run that goes back to March last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

The interesting thing is how nothing too serious seems to have come of the whole Beta evades AZ discussion that dominated the start of the year. There's going to be an update to the vaccine but there doesn't seem to be anywhere using AZ that is then being overtaken by Beta cases.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

The problem isn't a lack of policies, it's a lack of beliefs, values and convictions. Not having those makes coming up with policies hard...

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

get_iplayer probably does it too.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

get_iplayer definitely does but I dunno if you really want to send a neophyte into that maelstrom of Perl and weirdo Linux stuff.

(There was a UI wrapper for it a while ago but I can't find it now, or at least not one that doesn't give me "Why is my computer suddenly mining bitcoin?" vibes)

e: Also get_iplayer downloads it to an m4a instead of mp3, presumably for weirdo linux reasons, and while most mp3 players will play those files it's not *guaranteed*.
As a Linux Weirdo, I'd forgotten it was perl as it Just Works on Linux.

ps. Perl rocks.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I sometime across old Fortran 77 at work. I loathe the ALLCAPS and lack of white space. I once had to work with one that literally had no blank lines in any of the files; everywhere were it would have made it more human readable, it either didn't have a black lines or a comment line full of stars.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

happyhippy posted:

Him and Kristy Gallagher used to be a couple.
Only found that out when I was looking up why she was there, not an out front Gammon celeb.
A couple of days ago I found out Greg Davies was with Liz 4.5% Kendall for years. I'll never be able to watch Taskmaster the same again...

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Dabir posted:

So can anyone confirm what my mum just told me about the delta variant feeling more like a cold or something? I had what felt like a cold yesterday but today I've got an awful headache, feeling nauseous, overheating. I have a pretty strong immune system so colds don't normally hit me this badly.
Given most people have no ability to correctly tell the difference between a cold and flu in the first place, I would trust gossip about covid symptoms.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Looke posted:

Lol that shagging his mistress behind the bike shed caused his downfall and not the corruption or general derelict of duties
The only sin is making Boris look bad; in this case by reminding everyone Boris is a philanderer.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Disruption and weakening of gulf stream is a real possibility for us. Instead of turning in the the med, we could end up with much wilder weather.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I too pay off my CC in full every month. I'd never missed a payment until recently when I was a single day late. Then I had to pay off the late fee. Then I had to pay off the interest on the late fee. Then they wrote off the couple of pence I still somehow missed.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

I just wanted to say it's time for ice cream. Holy hell I'm sweating.

This I believe is a traditional british flavour (rum raisin). Actually one of my favorites,
As someone both with a weakness for ice-cream and currently trying to go a month without eating sweet junk, please stop.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

lol Melton.

'Prepare them for later life' though? What later life involves that poo poo?
I assume the not going to the toilet between lessons is missing the bit about pissing in a bottle during the lesson.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Spalec posted:

If England win the first Euros post Brexit all gammon media will be utterly unbearable for weeks. Moreso then normal. Makes me glad I moved to a country where soccer football is a game for children and no-one gives a gently caress about the pro-level game.
Now imagine Emma Raducanu also manages to win Wimbledon...

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

fridge corn posted:

There is a British football team that competes in the Olympics
That was a one-off for the British Olympics. The Scottish, Welsh and Irish FAs are all petrified that one day FIFA might decide that, actually, there ought to be a single UK team instead of four. They begrudgingly came up with a plan for 2012 but only because it was being hosted in London. There hasn't been an entry since. We did also entry up until the 70s but that was due to a distinction between amateur and professional status which avoided the problem.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Because visible mask wearing is a highly visible contradiction to their "Mission Accomplished" banner.

edit: 137 is the section in the California Penal Code for "Offer bribe to influence testimony".

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Soylent Yellow posted:

Regarding cladding chat, this story popped up on BBC news today.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-57645976

Apparently, the change is going to be retroactive. Knowing the Tories, there will probably be enough loopholes built into it to render it toothless. Wouldn't want to bankrupt the donors.
Isn't it common for developments tone done by short-lived shell companies that close down afterwards, leaving homeowners with noone to sue?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I assume that the official UKMT position on anthems is that they should be booed at every opportunity given their significance to nationalistic brainworms?

Start of a football game: boo away
Olympic openining ceremony: boo away
During BBC Proms: boo away
Random TV commercial: boo away
Queen's state funeral: boo away

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

So Mission Accomplished has driven down vaccine take-up amongst the younger ages

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/08/vaccine-uptake-coronavirus-england-near-halves-mixed-messages-manchester-sheffield-19-july

I joined the 2nd AZ crowd this afternoon.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I had a copy of the Guinness World Record book as a child. The only one I remember is that someone had the hiccups nonstop for decades (Google tells me 68 years).

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Apparently we're all going to get the Norovirus to shits now we're coming out of lockdown.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Norovirus is immune to alcohol (and other cleaners). You need soap for hand washing and bleach to kill.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Bear isn't dull?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

blunt posted:

why is there a lockdown protest? It's freedom day...
It's not freedom day until they make masks illegal, ban working at home and make it mandatory to do the same social activities as pre-covid.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Oh good, covid certificates are to be compulsory for clubs and other indoor venues from September.

Not now, in a couple of months when the horse has bolted, done a carpentry course and started its own business selling stable doors.
I think it's clearly a way to encourage maximum vaccine uptake in the university cohort come the next academic year, rather than something to make nightclubs less superspready.

It looks to me like our vaccination coverage is starting to run out of steam and is likely to stall around 90%.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

cant cook creole bream posted:

90% seems ridiculously optimistic.
Well we're at 87.9% first dose. I think we can limp over 90% as we've still been adding 0.1% a day more or less. The other question is how many people will have got the first dose but fail to follow up with the second. At the moment 2nd dose is 68.5% but uptake rate seems to be holding steady.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

England's vaccination rates as of yesterday.

Uniformly high across the retirement cohort, a gradual drop-of in the 50-70 range, then a faster decrease below 50. Being over 50 is the point when death as a consequence of covid becomes much more likely, so better vaccinate uptake isn't a surprise. For the over 50s (where the issue of second dose timing is less relevant) 2nd dose follow-up does seem to be around 95%+ so a small number.

Optimistically, I think all age ranges hitting 70+ is achievable. I think vaccine passports for travel, when that starts to get back to normal, is what will drive any better update in the lower ages.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Szmitten posted:

I'm also going to assume that given that everyone under 40 has to have a Pfizer or Moderna, and that those two are available in limited quantities, and that both appointments are booked in advance, I'm presuming that guaranteeing second doses are taking precedent over first doses, because I had to wait weeks for my first appointment theoretically being able to book. In fact moving my second appointment sooner was way easier than getting the first.
I had assumed that but then I saw some articles mentioning that some places were having trouble filling slots, as the message from lifting the restrictions was driving a "I don't need to bother" stance in younger adults.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

blunt posted:

What's going on with 45-49 yr olds? Maybe they live with the 65-69 yr olds 👀
Where that graph from? I've been referring to coronavirus.data.gov.uk which only has an awkward heat-map for vax/age data.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

The thermometer on my landing has hit a new high of 37°. I think I'll be sleeping downstairs tonight.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

It seems Highway England are trying to do some mass vandalism.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2021/jul/21/highways-england-may-have-to-reverse-act-of-cultural-vandalism

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I donate to/am a member of RSPB, WWT, my local Wildlife Trust and Marine Conservation. I keep meaning to join the Shark Trust because sharks are cool. I also keep meaning to find a decent globally focused charity.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

The RSPB do good work and in return our terrible press act as the attack dogs against them for our landed gentry (who want to kill things).
The Wildlife Trusts are good for local, on-the-ground conservation work. No matter where you live they almost certainly have some reserves not too far away.
The Woodland Trust if you're feeling like a tree hugger

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

minema posted:

There must be some gardeners in here - we've moved and now have a little bit of room for veg growing but I don't know where to start and I like to absorb information soon - any UK based books/YouTube folks that are good for beginner gardeners?
Green beans are an easy and productive place to start (I grow them in a large container. I find climbing beans easier than runner beans that for me either don't set or grow small and mis-shaped. Crossed fingers for this year). Tomatoes are also dead easy.

I think the trick with being a garden is not 'not killing plants' but accepting you will kill lots and not becoming disheartened by it

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 26, 2021

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

The Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002

quote:

“dual carriageway road” means a road which comprises a central reservation and “all-purpose dual carriageway road” means a dual carriageway road which is not a motorway;

“central reservation” means—
(a)any land between the carriageways of a road comprising two carriageways; or
(b)any permanent work (other than a traffic island) in the carriageway of a road,
which separates the carriageway or, as the case may be, the part of the carriageway which is to be used by traffic moving in one direction from the carriageway or part of the carriageway which is to be used (whether at all times or at particular times only) by traffic moving in the other direction

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Looking at the covid figures, it appears the post Euro-2020-National-Superspreader-Month decline is over and we're entering the new 'Mission Accomplished' wave phase...

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

EvilHawk posted:

It's interesting that we're now seeing a decline right when we would expect to see a big increase after "Freedom Day". I think a lot of restaurants/pubs/shops have still required masks and social distancing where possible which helps with that.

The death rate is (steadily) climbing though which is the big concern.
Except we aren't seeing a decline. We were seeing a reduction in cases post Euro-2020s, but it's now appears to be at an inflection point and I believe over the next seven days it's going to be a continue rise.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

This poo poo summer weather is starting to annoy me now.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

We finally hit 89% first dose, taking 16 days to creep up one percent. We might hit 90% but September (by comparison, second dose is achieving +1% in 3 days)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I misread the discussion as marzipan and wondered how I could go about getting marzipan prescription...