Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

jiggerypokery posted:

There has to be a way to quote tweets such that they survive deletion.

Archaeoprogrammers have been trying to reverse engineer ancient screenshot technology, not sure how they're progressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Get one of those electric graters and aim the barrel into your mouth.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Maybe it's a really lovely version of the Cambridge Five trying to do a dead drop.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Bobstar posted:

I don't remember that Enid Blyton book. Was it CANCELLED before I was born???

I bet she had the kids mess up a dead drop at least once, she used to write a book a week. 762 published books in total.

All the racism and stuff about girls not being meant to have short hair or boys not being meant to wear dresses should probably be cancelled instead of read to children though.

So the answer is, yes.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jun 27, 2021

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Mr Phillby posted:

What even is the difference between 'black tie optional' and 'business'?

You walk around staring at your watch and keep your forearm raised at all times, I guess it's an expensive watch.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

Also while I know it makes sense the idea of a window coming with a manual is very funny to me.

I also like to imagine it comes with some mid 80's copy protection scheme that barely works and if you don't activate it you aren't allowed to look through it.

Windows with future hellword DRM: If you don't pay the subscription in the summer, the temperature in your house increases every hour.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

crispix posted:

seeing how well they can polish their shoes on the brushes on the sides of escalators, like the rest of us

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

As a noodle connoisseur, shin ramyun is a solid pick. Indomie Mie Goreng is also a classic.

Samyang spicy noodles are VERY spicy but they're also loving delicious.

Yeah same, get some of these off Amazon instead of Pot Noodles, you won't regret it.

I ain't tried Indomie, I'll order some.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

therattle posted:

I am afraid I am not qualified to answer those questions.

I just had a call with Alice Nutter. She's great.

Oh cool, she wrote one of my favourite episodes of Accused, called "Helen's Story". Very UKMT that episode.

That show was incredible, highly recommended. It's an anthology, every episode is about a different accused person in court for sentencing, having flashbacks about what brought them there. It has a hell of a cast, although they only appear for one episode. Sean Bean, Olivia Colman, Stephen Graham, Christopher Ecclestone, Peter Capaldi, Andy Serkis, etc.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I see my nurse more than my doctor, she prescribes me stuff, even phones me regularly to talk about the medicine, and advises me on symptoms, and I can get booked into the hospital by calling her or her office instead of going the 999 route. When I do see a doctor it's for like physical examinations.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 8, 2021

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I don't really understand what "lockdown" people have been referring to. In other countries they had the army on the main roads.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

Weird question but I can't think who else to ask.

Does anyone here know a decent place to get work trousers? I spend a bloody fortune on replacing mine because they all wear out in the gusset cos I'm a great big thunder thighs and I also need to be crawling around a lot at work. They all go in the same place and I'm wondering if there is like, a proper make or design that is more hard wearing?

Hell even ones that have a proper gusset would be nice rather than the single seam down the middle of the crotch.

There are brands where they are designed to be rugged, and they guarantee the item for life, they even repair it if possible, if not they replace it. But they're extremely expensive. You can find this kind of stuff by searching for "buy it for life" which is also the name of a subreddit.

This is basically the Vimes boots theory of economics, you could in theory wear these for the rest of your life.

For example these are £295:

https://www.filson.com/uk/pants/alcan-double-front-pants.html#sku=20174631-fco-013845731

Or these "100 year pants" for £495:

https://www.vollebak.com/product/100-year-pants-granite/

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jul 10, 2021

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Angepain posted:

my prediction: we reach 90 minutes in and nobody scores. Then they try for extra time, and nobody scores. Thirty consecutive free kicks later and nobody scores. The entirety of one team stands on the other edge of the pitch as the other all push the football into the goal. It doesn't go in. None of them can do anything to get the football to go in. They try to concede the match, but their mouths can't form the words. They can't do anything. The fans try to leave, and find all the doors are locked. When they jump out the windows they come back in on the other side. The government is urged into action but Boris Johnson declares that since the place this football is immovably stuck in by forces unknown is in London then it technically means football has, in fact, come home, and so everything is fine actually. The tories gain five points in the polls.

Isn't that the SCP about the basketball match and the fans end up forming tribes and cannibalising each other?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

"In what is known to be one of the first forms of sports rioting, supporters of the chariot racing team, Greens, revolted against the Byzantine Empire's leader and supporter of the Greens' rival Blues, Justinian. At least half of the Empire's capital of Constantinople (now Istanbul) was burned by the rioters, and 30,000 people were killed."

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

HopperUK posted:

I used to be a computer game fat guy but now, thanks to an encounter with That Italian Guy, I am a lovely dog. So I'm in favour.

Just clicked that link and lmao trying to imagine the sheer ambulance logistics necessary in this hypothetical society.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

If the patient dies on the way to the hospital they just put the whole ambulance into a car crusher at the funeral.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

ronya posted:

In Excession however a force from literally beyond time and space shows up to karmically deliver an object lesson in humility. Never mind the Affronters: even the universe itself is determined to punish Culture hawks.

Yeah that part is great, as advanced as The Culture are, they couldn't even begin to contemplate what was going on with the Excession. My favourite part about Banks is when he leaves something hanging for you to imagine, just a background detail with infinite possibilities. Some chapters throw out multiple per page, ideas that for other writers would be entire books, for Banks it was just a small detail in a larger plot.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

https://www.reddit.com/r/tipofmytongue/

That subreddit has a similar function if goons fail you. I've had them identify movies that I saw one scene of on channel 5 20 years ago.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I'm feeling my own dumb hot take arising about 'parody' that sails too close to just repeating dumb / bigoted content without bothering to add a joke, but irony's not really my strong suit, so maybe this is fine for most people and I just don't get it.

I've started to think about that slightly unspoken take of yours, since I saw Americans on reddit demanding people post "/s" on really obvious sarcasm in UK subs. Even with their being an ostensibly English speaking nation, they struggle to read our irony. When you start operating on multiple levels of irony, you're posting content that will be enjoyed sincerely by most of the internet. People like dril take it to a surreal level that kinda transcends what I'm talking about.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Doesn't that mean the Tories took most of the green vote?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Guavanaut posted:

Fairly sure I could take that McGreggs man single handed if he was walking unawares down a canal tow path and I had a sock full of lead shot and the element of surprise.

Public health early intervention works the same way.

Zangief agrees though he would simply suplex him into the canal to prove the superiority of Communism.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

Johnson contracts all the covid variants until he become boris the deathless, eternal emperor of the british isles.

Dunno if this was posted, it's from Lichcraft, a tabletop RPG about becoming a Lich to survive long enough for the NHS transition treatment waiting list:

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I'd say grassing up commies to british intelligence was a pretty fascist thing to do but then I don't know words as good as Mr Animal Farm CIA adaptation throaty McHurty. I haven't even forgiven the socdems for Rosa, liberals are going to have to get in the queue.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Szmitten posted:

I'm also going to assume that given that everyone under 40 has to have a Pfizer or Moderna, and that those two are available in limited quantities, and that both appointments are booked in advance, I'm presuming that guaranteeing second doses are taking precedent over first doses, because I had to wait weeks for my first appointment theoretically being able to book. In fact moving my second appointment sooner was way easier than getting the first.

I got AZ and I'm not 40.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Barry Foster posted:

lol I was waiting for that one

Please, continue.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Jakabite posted:

In a way it’s a privilege to potentially witness the end of a semi-advanced civilisation

Think of that unbroken chain of survival and evolution between a single celled lifeform and you, with all the ancestors inbetween, and how improbable it was to be here at the end.

Revel in the glory of a dying world.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Ms Adequate posted:

I do, but does it have to be so damned uncomfortable for me personally?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

learnincurve posted:

Higher chance of developing dementia age 60+, it’s been a documented problem since documents began. Older people in power/cultures respecting your elders (if only for the inheritance) while their mind goes is responsible for so much literal war and suffering through history.

Airlines had problems with this in various plane crashes because junior pilots wouldn't override their seniors even though they were allowed to.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impact_of_culture_on_aviation_safety

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

learnincurve posted:

I read a lot of novels from the 1920s, which is a interesting period because it’s a gentler time, but they are also breaking away from Victorian values and a big trope is the belligerent old Victorian uncle who’s lost his mind.
Lot of the younger authors aren’t racist, that re-emerges in the mid 1930s, and are far more likely to drop in a white man happily married to a black or Indian wife than at any point before now.

Brian Flynn was where Christie got a lot of her ideas from but he is barely remembered.

There are some black and white movies from the 1920s that have people being gay and doing crimes, but then in the 1930s there was a reactionary era where the US banned it all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre-Code_Hollywood

quote:

As a result, some films in the late 1920s and early 1930s depicted or implied sexual innuendo, romantic and sexual relationships between white and black people, mild profanity, illegal drug use, promiscuity, prostitution, infidelity, abortion, intense violence, and homosexuality.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 19, 2021

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I still haven't figured out what the gently caress a Covid Recovery Bond is so I hope they don't drop another policy on me too soon.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Indeed. I have a reputation to maintain.

I've been acquiring email accounts since I first got the internet in 1997 (I've even let a few go!), since the heady days of AOL and the permitted 7 email accounts :D
I use several of them for one-off purposes eg facebook sign-in. If my facebook email add gets hacked 'they' won't get far as it doesn't do anything else. Unlike my sister who used one email address (and one password!) for absolutely everything, got her ebay account hacked and had her banking, paypal etc all raided.

Firefox Relay lets you make one use emails for that stuff built into the signup bar.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

DesperateDan posted:

I don't drink booze really but still ferment some fruit wine once or twice a year cause it's really fun and good for gifting

You can get yourself rolling for like a fiver at wilkos there's no excuses

Tell us more.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Jedit posted:

My sister's grandfather had been an Army major in the last days of the Raj and had acquired a great fondness for curry, but he would never darken the door of a curry house here because what they served wasn't to his mind curry at all. He prided himself on making his own curries from scratch using the traditional Indian recipes.

What the English call curry usually means tikka masala or the local variant of vindaloo, both of which were invented in the UK by immigrants in the 70s using the ingredients they had available.

Adding tomato soup, yoghurt and cream to tikka masala wasn't that big a deal. There are "traditional indian recipes" which have a dairy/coconut base for a similar effect.

The word basically just means sauce, I can see where you're coming from, but what's a traditional indian recipe? We didn't even have chillis and tomatos over there until a few hundred years ago. Each town and city has wildly different curries. My mom and aunts can't even agree on what their recipe is I'm not sure how your sister's grandfather managed to get a hold of the One Recipe to rule them all.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Adding tomato soup, yoghurt and cream to tikka masala wasn't that big a deal. There are "traditional indian recipes" which have a dairy/coconut base for a similar effect.

Oh yeah just to add to this, it's perfectly normal in Indian cuisine to add such ingredients that moderate the heat, and then serve the chillis as a side to crush into the food as desired, though this is mostly done for children, old people, people with digestive issues or even just people who don't like heat, it's not like everyone in India is going around taking spicy food challenges.

If you served a proper British chicken tikka masala to someone in India, they might just ask for more spice that's all, or to replace the chicken with paneer.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jul 24, 2021

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Communist Thoughts posted:

My cousin's Indian father in law complains about the family making the food too mild every time my cousin visits and apparently last time at the dinner table ended up sulking and eating raw chillis and lemons

My cousin is a total wuss for spice but their little kid now eats raw chillies too lol

Raw chillies are surprisingly sweet and crisp if they're fresh enough, especially red ones. They're still hot obviously, I just mean if you're used to spicy food you'll be surprised at how munchable they are if you first try one and it's fresh.

Pickled chilli is a great side too for that kinda situation.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Some of you needed to learn how to punch your brother in the bum so that he would think twice about where he farts, your parents might have appreciated it if anything, they just can't admit it

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Make them compete in Daley Thompson's Decathlon.

"The International Olympic Committee (IOC) is launching a virtual Olympics, where you can compete for a gold medal...from home! Called the Olympic Virtual Series, players will be able to compete in five different sports - baseball, cycling, rowing, sailing and motor sport."

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

History Comes Inside! posted:

Legitimately they should add pro-wrestling to the olympics.

It’s basically the same as any other multi-person performance-artsy sport like artistic swimming or figure skating.

Yeah just calibrate it around both participants sharing points as a team. Like it's not just the suplexer who did the suplex, it's also the suplexee who had to provide most of the power and land on their neck without dying.

It would be like paired figure skating yeah.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Failed Imagineer posted:

I would choose to be the guy throwing my mate off the top of the cage, rather than the guy going through the table, if we were getting the gold mefal as a team

You can take turns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Red Oktober posted:

Christ, it's like Animals of Farthing Wood just with kids.

There was a part in the original book series where a wild cat called The Beast is killing the animals, it was left out of the cartoons because it was too much like horror.