Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Crankit posted:

I'm gonna get a sunburn, anyone else wanna gonna join burnt club this year?

I invented this club, few years back I got sunburnt in March

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Welp the Speaker says no MPs don't get to vote on an amendment keeping foreign aid at 0.7%. He really thinks there should be a vote though!

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/IoDThenAndNow/status/1402489026091827201

On this day in 1897 a brazen nozzle went off in a man's face.

I first read that as Cubist Town and started thinking this took place in Minecraft.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Reveilled posted:

13's prime and too hard to divide neatly. My god emperor pitch: 12 months of 28 days, with two intercalary days between each as mandatory public holidays, except December into January, which will have a seven day intercalary festival (leap day will go here).

Basically the French Republican Calendar but with 7 day weeks.

Just adopt the Shire calendar imo

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Well as I have been looking at a sky that looks like the lower half of this image all morning.....

I've been reading Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything and he describes the ultimate instance of this where a chap called https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guillaume_Le_Gentil travelled to India to observe Venus transiting across the sun. Every 120 years or so this happens twice, just eight years apart. In Le Gentil's case it was predicted to happen in 1761 and 1769. He left Paris in March 1760, failed to make it to India in time because of the Seven Years' War between France and Britain, and got blown off course before he could get to land somewhere else and so obviously couldn't do any proper observations from a moving ship.

When he eventually made it to India he built a small observatory before the next transit of the pair would occur in 1769. When it did it became cloudy and he couldn't observe anything. He then decided to head back to France and when he finally arrived back there in October 1771, found that he had been declared dead, his wife had remarried, and his relatives had "enthusiastically plundered his estate".

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Szmitten posted:

I'm getting my first (probable) Pfizer tomorrow and won't be getting the second until 31st August so aaaaaaa.

Yeah I would really appreciate if they started second-dosing people earlier. If they don't have enough vaccines then sure, but there really isn't a reason otherwise for a 12-week interval when other countries use 6 weeks.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Comrade Fakename posted:

It is incredible that after Hartleypool the consensus among pretty much everyone was that Labour lost because it didn’t have any policies, and we’re now however long it’s been, with another by-election in a few weeks, and they still don’t have any policies.

I feel like there was a point a few weeks after the Hartlepool byelection where Labour was kinda sorta trying to put some policies in the news, then stopped bothering again a week later.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

NotJustANumber99 posted:

why dont they just take the half a million dollars and spend it all on tomatoes?

I am reminded of an old Scrooge McDuck comic where the nephews tricked him into thinking that all money is now worthless and fish is the new currency, except with tomatoes

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Grey Hunter posted:

We need a few more by elections to see if the LD thing is local or signs of a more general Tory collapse. it's most likely the former, but if the LD learn from their winning tactics, they might actually fight back.

Tories were losing some county & local council seats in traditional home counties areas too, I think it's part of a realignment of sorts and not just local effects.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

byelection when

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I just want to move back to digital camera-chat for a sec to mention that, in the late 90s, cameras existed that stored the images on 3.25 floppy disks. One of my friends had one and it should be put in a museum

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Yup that's it

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Labour leadership figures are dropping like flies - Jenny Chapman is being removed from her post and gets sent to the shadow cabinet with responsibility for Brexit.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jun/22/labour-leader-keir-starmer-axes-chief-aide-jenny-chapman

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Failed Imagineer posted:

When you have texts between the Cum Dom and Johnson agreeing "yeah Hancock is a useless oval office" it's pretty clear he's not wanted

Remember when he had to go on TV defending Johnson calling him loving useless? Good times

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

French chairs and tables are female, arabic & german tables are female, but arabic & german chairs are male.
A little girl (das Mädchen) in german is neuter.

Figure that one out!

The Greek words for 'boy' and 'girl' are also not gendered (despite not being diminutives), I think this may be because small children generally weren't really gendered in a cultural sense in many cultures but others can probably say more on that subject.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Juche Couture posted:

I got some slightly fancy earbuds (that try to dampen all frequencies by the same amount so it sounds quieter without being muffled) and it’s improved my gig-going 100%.

Apropos, here’s a pic I took of Sunn O)))’s amplifier setup

That reminds me of somebody in the space flight thread posting about how big rock concerts and acoustic/vibration testing for rockets need to be scheduled around each other because they both require absolutely massive amounts of amplifiers.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Here's a good article about sea level rise from carbon brief, that goes into where it comes from, the current estimates (50cm by 2100 if we get our poo poo together, 80cm if we don't), and some of the studies suggesting higher worse case scenarios than that (more around the 1.5m-2m) mark.

As to what those numbers mean for the UK, I don't know any good sources off the top of my head. As above posts show, it's a complicated thing that depends alot on what the government does. (If the thames barrier hadn't been build, London probably would be flooding regularly. But we did build it, so it doesn't). But it's still not good, but maybe your fears can be a little more grounded in reality now.

Generic sea level rises also combine well with extreme weather events so that a 1 in 50,000 year event now occurs, say, once every 8000 years which is when a lot of fun* things start happening. Then it turns out that your flood defences were designed to withstand only 1 in 10,000 year events and whoops now half of London is underwater. And that assumes that it is possible to accurately classify an event as 1 in X years which has a lot of guesswork at the best of times, once you get to very rare events.

*very much not fun at all

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Guavanaut posted:

Sometimes the self checkouts try to compel you to shoplift when you're buying multiple lightweight items, like you'll scan it, add it to your bag, and it will beep and say "add your item to the bag" and not let you scan the next one. I think if you don't obey the computer in those cases that's a computer misuse act crime?

Always obey Friend Computer.

Anyway I don't have anything to add on the whole philosophy debate except that anybody who hasn't yet should watch A Serious Man.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Nothingtoseehere posted:

The momentum slate is as follows.

We are once again backing the excellent Seema and Billy:

Seema Chandwani (L1187007)
Billy Hayes (A065571)
We need to get Seema and Billy nominated by our CLPs before the deadline of 11th June. There will then be an OMOV ballot that opens on 5th July, where members will have the chance to vote for a CAC that will represent the grassroots.

Thanks, just voted as well.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Flayer posted:

Currently I don't see how you could fit e-sports into the Olympics because of it's very nature - which game (or games) would be in? It's not like a traditional sport where the fundamental nature of it never changes. You also have the fact that a commercial entity owns the right to whatever game(s) were chosen, which is a whole other kettle of fish.

Easily solved by playing only the open-source version of Transport Tycoon

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

therattle posted:

I really enjoyed the Mangan Dirk Gently. Didn’t even know there was another.

I really enjoyed the pilot episode of this (can recommend, works well as a standalone thing), but the actual show (well, three episodes) they made like 2 years later are very hit-and-miss.

The BBC America show was alright, has a radically different feel and far removed from the tone of the books though. Admittedly I only watched the first season of it.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

bump_fn posted:

proof theres no god

Surely a binbag full of custard would float

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

OwlFancier posted:

Mm, essentially what they now have is a photo that sort of suggests that this person might own a house inasmuch as a photo can do that. So while I doubt it's for the benefits office and it is extremely weird to actually ask you to participate, there are conceivably reasons in this world why someone might want to have a photo of themselves implying ownership of a nice thing.

It's got to be something unofficial, as 3 pounds and a visit to the website of the UK Land Registry immediately tells you who actually owns that house.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

learnincurve posted:

It’s for immigration. They have fiddled with the dates on the phone/camera and it’s to provide evidence that they are a real married couple who have been living together full time for a number of years rather than one person with settled status/a British passport having been paid to marry the other so they can stay here.

But there's only one person in the picture, not a couple, and the Home Office can trivially check who owns that house and it wouldn't be her.

Barry F: stay strong, cancer sucks

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Reveilled posted:

Horse also used to be hros,

And ros still means steed in Dutch. Connecting languages together is fun.

I've also been re-reading the Lord of the Rings with a reader's companion that explains how various names and words used were taken from specific, now-archaic English words, can recommend. E.g. the Shire village of Hardbottle using middle-English botl which means to build.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Escape From Alpacaz

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Mebh posted:

My wife gets very upset any time I say Maryland as I always say it wrong.

How many ways are there to say it?

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

OwlFancier posted:

Small cars are great IMO.

I think you'll find they are quite small actually.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

jaete posted:

I use gnucash, but it's, well, not for everyone. Also it doesn't actually have anything very good for budgeting and such. In theory my accounts are impeccable though! :v:

edit: I would never use any of those online money apps for anything. Why would I want some poo poo company incorporated in the Virgin Islands to have access to my any of my financial info? They will do two things with it: share it with MI5, CIA and all the others, and sell it to the highest bidder. So next time you want to get an insurance quote or a credit card or whatever, the company will already have a big old dossier of all your private incomings and outgoings, every single dragon dildo and Brexit festival ticket. gently caress that poo poo

Oh actually also a third thing they'll do with your data: let it be stolen, since proper info sec is hard (read: costs money). So your dildo payment details will also be on the darknet forever, along with your real name etc etc

Not just your own data, by using apps like this you also give them information about people you have paid, who have not consented to this.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

keep punching joe posted:

Roman times if you just mean flatbread with tomoatoes and herbs, 18th century if you mean what we would consider the modern pizza. First introduced to the British in the reign of Victoria.

https://twitter.com/Ludicrousscenes/status/880385037790851072/photo/1

UKMT: In the pizza shops rich and poor harmoniously congregate

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I once had a discussion with a vegan in university who thought keeping bees was slavery

Where is animalslaves.png when I need it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Tomorrow: alpaca mysteriously found dead in its cell

e: ^ :hfive: