Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Thanks for the new thread.

I hope GPU prices are back to normal by this thread's end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

Am I the only person here still rocking a 2500k?

Actually I was until a couple years ago when my motherboard crapped out. I replaced it with an 8100 because I needed something immediately.

Edit: 4 cores 4 threads still holds up imho

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jun 20, 2021

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Scruff McGruff posted:

If you don't have that much data to backup you can get 100gb on Google Drive for just $2/mo too which is what I use for critical documents.

Holy poo poo.

At first I couldn't care less about Google Drive, OneDrive, and all the apps that come with that stuff. But the whole ecosystems are really convenient for personal files and basic office work. It's pretty mindblowing to think about how it all basically started with "here's a free email address" 15-25 years ago.

Edit: vvv uooooh poo poo man—I can convert my resume to pdf??? *searches frantically for my vein* vvv

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jun 23, 2021

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

PC Building Megathread: It's just a huge box that costs 500 dollars

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Well how else are you gonna duplicate Blu-rays?

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I assume he meant 3.5" and misspoke. Or are those big fuckin floppies making a comeback??

Hipstercoin is the latest cryptocurrency that can only be mined on 5.25" floppies.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

lordofthefishes posted:

This plus a couple other devices. I can get away with 2 bays but more would be better.

Yes, I realise how odd this is in 2021.

I don't mean to pry, but if you want to, I'd be really interested in knowing what you're using them for. I'd written off 5.25" drives completely, and I'm someone who kept an optical drive until 2 years ago.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

lordofthefishes posted:

Sorry, I missed this. It's a mix of keeping some old media accessible and needing the ability to transfer large quantities of data in :canada: the land of throttling and data caps without going over the internet.

Faster to simply move a hard drive from one chassis' front bay to another if you're transferring a 100gb program between two locations. Or 100 old pieces of software from the early 2000s.

This post feels like I belong in the tech relics thread.

Oh holy poo poo, I didn't know there were 5.25" front bays for hard drives/ssds. That's actually cool and good, and I can think of some ways I can use that.

This is the best thread.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

lordofthefishes posted:

There are all sorts of useful devices designed to fot them, actually. Want usb3 on your twenty year old beige case? Slot 4 ports in an odd bay along with a card reader for everything else!

You were not kidding. I'm falling down a pretty deep rabbit hole. :sweatdrop:

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Just get a cheap case and keep the panels off. 'Aint beating that airflow.

:getin:

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

I can't believe they ate a GTX 3080 from those. Holy poo poo. :psyduck:

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Butterfly Valley posted:

Your part list is private

private parts

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

The case I've been working with for my new build literally has no side or front panels. It's just what's leftover after I cannibalized a Cougar MX-330 case that got smashed up during shipping

The airflow is :krad:

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

I keep hearing that the embargo ends 4 Nov.

I finally have enough saved to comfortably put together a new WFH desktop, but if Alder Lake might drop prices a bit then I guess I can wait a couple weeks more.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Gotta quick question ref Ryzen supported RAM speeds. I've been looking at the AMD website, and it looks like nearly all of their processors only support up to 3200 MHz RAM. Even gucci new ones like the 5900X only seem to support 3200 MHz.

Does this mean that there's no advantage to buying RAM with >3200 MHz with these, or is there some Megahertz vs Megatransfer thing I'm missing?

(edit: Been a bit of a wake-up call to make sure my processor, motherboard and RAM all support the XMP I'm targeting!)

CoolCab posted:

those are typically the values they've uh, authenticated? i think? you can totally go well past them but it will depend not just on the chip but the motherboard and silicon lottery of the sticks themselves. and likewise, those values are just what the ram manufacturers confirmed the ram should at least hit, i'm running a 3000MHz kit at 3200 for example.

Got it. Thanks!

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 25, 2021

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Much obliged all. That provided a lot of needed clarity.

Now I've got to un-bend a few of the pins on the used CPU I got, then I can assemble this soon. :sweatdrop:

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

change my name posted:

Can I do anything fun with an i5-7400 other than chuck it in the NAS I was planning on building? I got it for free from a friend and apparently it's not that bad despite only being 4 cores/4 threads

You know I'll still defend 4c4t—I'm even putting together another short-notice WFH build that's using a second-hand 2200g. Admittedly, I haven't played any AAA titles in a few years. But I've had no problems concurrently running 20 chrome tabs, teleconferences, 30mb PowerPoint presentations, YouTube, and a bunch of other neglected background crap all spread across 3 monitors.

That didn't really answer your question, but 4c4t has been a reliable workhorse for me for over a decade (including in my first build), and I think we're ride-or-die until the GPU market cools off.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Ya'll are thinking about this wrong. The budget 2200g build I slapped together will have a super cheap upgrade path over the next few years when people start fireselling their AM4/DDR4 stuff. :twisted:

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

CoolCab posted:

absolutely optimal time to buy last gen secondhand on good deep discount (particularly if you're patient and quick), the 3000 series is starting to show up in numbers on facebook market and such. i'm waiting for DDR5 early adopters to start selling me their high end DDR4 kits for nowt :evilbuddy:

Holy gently caress, that happened a lot faster than I thought it would.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 4, 2021

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

God love the guy I got my CPU from—he made sure I knew what I was buying, offered to give me thermal paste, and even tried cleaning off the old paste (not with isopropyl alcohol; I did that afterwards). But I'm not really confident he knew what he was doing.

Is it okay if a heatsink looks like this?

Thankfully the CPU is somehow unblemished from this knife job, but the heatsink has a pretty bumpy texture now. I was hoping to avoid getting an aftermarket cooler to keep this a "budget" build, but is this even worth reusing?

edit: at least the pins bent back easily enough

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Nov 5, 2021

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Rexxed posted:

If it's not a huge priority and you're in the US so shipping would make sense, I have the heatsink from my R7 1700 that I only used briefly sitting spare on a shelf. Let me know if you want it and mailing it is sensible.

Appreciate the offer, but I'm in Canada, which would likely make that too expensive. But you've made me realized that people will probably be fireselling their AM4 coolers soon along with everything else AM4/DDR4, so I might wait for that.

You nailed it though: stock cooler. It'll be sitting on a 2200g (likely no overclocking) for at least a year, so it shouldn't be hard to find something suitable.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Rinkles posted:

Yeah I feel bad about maybe posting too much in this thread, but these are expensive things and I would like to make sure I'm not making mistakes.

:justpost:

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Just checkin' in to say that the Vega graphics on the older AMD APU's is awesome, and I'm really happy to be playing video games again after 3+ years.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Four cores four threads
Runnin' it 'till it's dead

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Form factor. First two digits are the width in millimeters, second two (or three) digits are the length.

Holy gently caress, that's what it means? I thought it was speed or something. I never bothered to look into it, I just got the cheapest one with decent capacity from a reputable brand. Thanks, thread.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Rinkles posted:

Idk, I'm probably overthinking things because it's the first time in a while I'm "treating myself" to a bigger expense I don't really need, and I feel obligated to make sure I'm spending my money right.

This goes for almost anything, but don't go shopping for stuff that you've already bought. Prices for equivalent components are always going to go down (yes, except GPU's right now, shaddap), so you could play the "maybe I should have" game for days. Sure, let it inform your next purchase perhaps, but what you've got right now is solid for a reasonable price, and in the current tech space that's already saying a lot.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

While we're talking about Win10 installation troubleshooting, if you install Win10 Home without a product key, then try to activate it with a Win10 Pro product key, it's going to "upgrade" itself and then tell you the product key doesn't work. Just restart manually and it'll finish it off for you.

Or so I learned just now.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

CoolCab posted:

me i like custom work, i like a project and i love to tinker, so i buy cheap components and gently caress them up to perform as i like.

I'm finally getting around to posting my janky budget build that I'm pretty pleased with. Saved some money on used parts and integrated graphics, and left enough room for a cheap upgrade path in the next few years when people start letting go of their AM4/DDR4 parts.

Kinda par-for-the-course as far as budget builds in :canada: go, and I've included a bunch of stuff that aren't really core components, but la pièce de résistance is by far the case. It's one that I had refunded a couple years ago because it got brutalized during shipping. Damage includes a front panel that got smashed and broke off, a broken foot, the main side panel needed to be bent back to shape, and the rear panel needed to be bent back for the IO shield to fit. But boy howdy, the airflow.

Boohoo wimpers the dogmatists, decrying that it might get dusty inside or something. Well, that's easy to fix when your components are so accessible and the side panel practically falls off.

This was sitting in my closet for 2 years, so that dust on the PSU shroud isn't recent, though I should tidy that up anyway. That wire going through the top PCI slot is a detachable power switch, 'cause...well...I don't have a front panel, but also because I had to move the power switch anyway because my 4-year-old likes to turn off the computer when someone's using it and run away giggling (prick).

Anyway, this was the first time I got a microATX motherboard, an aftermarket CPU cooler, and some used parts. So it was a nice journey in trying out some new thing, saving money in a few sensible spots, and maintaining a decent upgrade path. This started off as a work-from-home build, but I've been constantly surprised at how well integrated Vega 8 graphics perform. Considering my Steam library has a huge backlog of untouched games going back as far as 8 years, I think it'll do me just find until the GPU market cools off. Also I have no idea how my kid got so good at Rocket League, but we've been having a lot of fun doing split-screen couch-coop stuff when it's too rainy outside, which is a great bonus. :3:

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

edit: ^^^ fairly certain you'll need to do a BIOS update for the Zen 3 processors to work with the B450 chipset motherboards. ^^^
edit2: Ah, gotchya—I'm not tracking any issues like that, but maybe someone smarter than me can answer.

The Grumbles posted:

Just to say that something I learned very recently which surprised me was that the new higher end Ryzen APUs are actually pretty respectable for video games, if you want to play current stuff and aren't too obsessive about cranking up the detail all the way. They're way easier to get (and at RRP) than dedicated video cards, and you've always got the option to slot in a proper card if things ever change.

Hell, on this very page I was singing the praises of the 2200g's Vega 8 APU from over three years ago. Granted, it could also be because I haven't played video games in a few years.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 29, 2021

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Rinkles posted:

maybe i shouldn't have bothered paying more for a mobo with onboard wifi.

I only slightly regret getting onboard wifi (why not free up a PCI-E slot and save on a wifi-card), as it turns out the wifi in my room is loving garbage, and rarely stays connected. The Bluetooth capabilities it came with has made it worthwhile though. Being able to pair my computer with the smart speaker has been surprisingly easy and useful. I'd imagine it'll simplify transferring files from my phone, or even pairing with some headphones too.

I dug up an old powerline adapter, and holy poo poo the difference is night-and-day. If this is a possible solution for anyone, I highly recommend it.

vvv edit: Ah jeeze. I'm in a detached house with a relatively new wiring, and presumably nothing else plugged in that introduces significant noise. Didn't know that it made that big a difference. vvv

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Nov 30, 2021

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

nexus6 posted:

Either the Bluetooth on my motherboard or my Xbox one controller sucks because it keeps disconnecting. Falling back to a more reliable wired controller.

I get that wireless peripherals have improved significantly over the last decade, but I still choose to avoid them. Plug-and-play is just easier. You don't have to worry about pairing, latency/interference, recharging poo poo, etc., and wired is normally cheaper anyway.

My first PC had a wifi-card mainly out of necessity, but I didn't even concede to getting Bluetooth earbuds until last year (which are admittedly pretty awesome and I'm never going back).

:okboomer:

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Turds in magma posted:

Knocked it over on my desk when reaching for it, it spilled down through the top air vents on the case. First thing it hit was the cooling fans on the CPU cooler but just dripped straight through those and did no CPU damage. Next thing to hit was the GPU but because that's in a PCIe slot it's rotated 90 degrees compared to the motherboard. I guess that's why the beer pooled there and did the most damage.

I'm always worried I'm going to do something like this. I think my next case won't have a fan/radiator mount there, as I've never used it.

Rinkles posted:

I think just the presence of an opening there is good for ventilation, with or without fans.
I get that generally more holes = more better, but the risk/reward of the top vent has me too paranoid. My airflow is pretty good right now anyway. :v:
I appreciate that cases are generally a personal choice, and even the bad ones work well enough—save for the ones that have been catching fire this year.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 1, 2021

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

LTT did a pretty decent explanation of the two different ways motherboards handle 4 sticks of ram (daisy chaining and t-topology). Actually, the whole thing was really interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxGqGCtPxn4

Alan Smithee posted:

god I wish AMD would find a better numbering scheme for CPU

even intel is more clarity

Yeah, I always have to check Wikipedia to figure out what's Zen, Zen+, Zen2 and Zen3.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

friend gave up and bought a build

3 3090s
2 32 core gold xeon intel
348 gigs ram

$17000

:shepspends:
I'm a big idiot and need to know what your friend plans on doing with these parts that he bought for the price of a dealership econocar.

Edit: wait, it was a build? Like a server build? Oh my god what is happening :ohdear:

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 2, 2021

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

CG artist (Zbrush character model sculpter)

it definitely doesn't warrant the cost and I tried very very hard to direct him to 3090s at Best Buy/Microcenter but he's the one who made 30 grand upfront for a NFT commission (with the promise of 30 grand more on delivery) and not me so...

not sure if he's using as server too

Holy poo poo

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

I haven't bought a single thing of Bitcoin, but even I remember saying things like that back in 2010.

Now those fuckers are keeping me from a reasonably priced GPU. :argh:

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

The Grumbles posted:

Just chiming in because I noticed that some absolute yahoo a few pages back described the classic noctua fans as looking "objectively bad" and I can only assume that's a typo and they meant "objectively rad" because they make your computer look slick as gently caress, like a hi-fi from the 1970's or an item of clothing worn by a jazz professor

Samuel L Jackson wouldn't use RGB.

Well, maybe purple.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Looks like a "fair" deal in todays GPU market, as much as I hate to admit it.

The RAM speed is a little slow compared to what's out there now, but honestly I think the importance of RAM speed is kinda overstated these days. It seems to matter most when you're trying to put out a lot of frames, or if you're like me and leaning on integrated graphics.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Dec 9, 2021

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

It’s not negligible because the cost difference is so low.

A $40 16GB kit of 2666 ram will lose around 5%+ performance vs a $60 3600 kit. For $20, that much increase should be a no brainer.

People discount a 5% gain because CPU classes usually have a similar gain between models, but we’re taking about 5% for $200 vs 5% for $20.

Eh, yeah you're right. I guess I was looking at it in terms of the entire build. 2666 MHz RAM isn't a deal breaker, and when DDR4 starts getting dumped on the used market, the upgrade path will be—as you aptly put—a no brainer.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Dec 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Oh no what have we done