Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Good effort. I would make a note in the motherboard section that points out you need to get one with the correct headers if you want to utilise your case’s front USB C, if it has one. You mentioned it in passing but I’d say it’s one of the key points to emphasise for people when they’re choosing the motherboard.

Also you mentioned PCIe 4 once or twice I think but it would be worth quickly clarifying what that means and how it’s relevant to most people - i.e. expensive and pointless for storage at the moment, but does have a measurable effect with new GPUs. I think you can straight up recommend b550 boards for basically everyone building an AMD system at this point for that reason.

Also my ITX motherboard supports up to 64GB of RAM over 2 slots. Idk that 32GB is so frivolous as to be in ‘hating money’ territory either, given that there are games that are starting to benefit from more than 16GB.

You could link to the SFF/ITX thread in a relevant section, and I’d be happy to write up a few parts/tips for people to consider whether ITX is for them or not. Edit: oh I see you just did that cool

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jun 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Chill la Chill posted:

I want to do it for two reasons:
to not have the GPU block out the other pretty components on the mobo since the 30x0 are rather chunky and
to have the GPU utilizing cooler air outside and not contributing to a warmer overall case temp.

Tell me how dumb of an idea this is

So it seems your two primary concerns are appearance and temps. I'd say you need to really think about if the best answer to those concerns is adding extra clutter/cases/riser cables to your setup. For temps, there are a million better solutions to the 'problem' - if it even is a problem in the first place. The standard FE 30x0 series cards come with good coolers that keep the GPUs well under thermal throttling limits and AIBs pretty much all have beefier coolers. If I can run a 3080 FE in an ITX case with a €55 CPU cooler and never see the CPU over 70c or the GPU over 75c then I seriously doubt that whatever setup you're imagining has insurmountable cooling issues. And if you do have cooling issues it's pretty much guaranteed to be an issue with your case rather than your components. Which leads me to your next point, which is appearance. I'm certain that you could find a case which has enough room internally to arrange all of your components in an aesthetically pleasing way, along with a tempered glass side panel while still having good temperatures. A regularly mounted GPU doesn't obscure any of the internals anyway other than maybe one of your NVMe drives so I'm not particularly sure what you mean by not wanting the GPU to 'block out the other pretty components on the mobo'.

What's your current case? What components do you have/are you looking at buying?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Did all this, thanks. Not sure where I mentioned a 32gb limit for ITX though.

Here:

16. What should I look for in a motherboard?

[*]RAM slots: some ITX boards and very cheap mATX boards have two slots for a maximum of 32 GB of RAM. Most mATX and ATX boards have four slots for up to 64/128 GB.

Happy to add some more stuff on ITX if you want to write something up. I don't have much experience in ITX/SFF. Most pertinent is probably a recommended ITX build/recommended parts, but anything else that fits I can add.

Ok, here's a bunch of stuff that you can hopefully slot in where you think it's appropriate or useful. Obviously you can direct people to the SFF thread for more specific questions and advice but I wanted to provide a little overview for those who are ITX curious:

ITX/SFF has come a long way and is no longer the preserve of insane masochists who enjoy making life more difficult for themselves for little tangible benefit. Mainstream manufacturers have cottoned on to the market and as such there's now a great choice of ITX cases to suit all needs. There's everything from smaller standard towers like the Coolermaster NR200, to vertically oriented towers like the NZXT H1, to minimalist sandwich style cases like the NCase M1, to tiny console-style cases like the Sliger CL520.

These cases have mostly been designed by enthusiasts to have as much compatibility, functionality, cooling capacity and building ease as possible while reducing the overall size and volume. With optical drives and HDDs having gone the way of the dodo, NVMe SSDs being the way forward, and sound/wifi/bluetooth being integrated into motherboards, the vast majority of new builds these days simply don't need any of the extra PCIe slots on mATX or ATX motherboards, nor the huge amounts of physical space for drive bays in larger cases. While the smaller, more enthusiast focused ITX cases are more expensive than their larger cousins, the increased interest in the market means there's now plenty of excellent and affordable options. The only places where you're forced to spend a bit more than on an equivalent ATX build will be the motherboard and the PSU.

Why ITX/SFF?
  • If the thought of having the maximum possible power in the smallest necessary volume appeals to you.
  • If you live in a smaller space where physical desk or floor space is at a premium, or you just don't want a hulking great case taking up room.
  • If you want to fit your PC in or around your TV or in an entertainment centre.
  • If you like minimalist unobtrusive case designs with vented panels (although visually louder options with tempered glass side panels are available if you want to show off your components, generally these are going to be worse for cooling).
  • If you have the necessary components and an extra 2.5 SSD or two to fit in your case.
  • If you don't mind taking a little longer to research, plan and execute your build.
  • If you're OK with working in smaller spaces and cable management.
Why not ITX/SFF?
  • If you want room for HDDs or are carrying forward older PCIe cards (most new motherboards do everything that you would have done with PCIe cards of old).
  • If you don't like cable management/just want to throw the components in the case, plug it all in and close it up with minimal effort.
  • If you want the absolute beefiest of three + slot GPUs (although there are ITX cases that fit these).
  • If you have sausage fingers/don't like/aren't able to work in smaller spaces.
  • If you have room for and like the aesthetic of larger cases.
  • If you want room to display all of the RGB unicorn vomit.

Recommended build/parts specific to ITX considerations

Case:
NR200/NR200P

At $80 for the standard version (includes 92mm fan and 120mm fan) and $100 for the 'P' version (includes 2 120mm fans and a tempered glass side panel to swap for the vented panel if you wish) Coolermaster shook up the ITX case market in a big way. Has numerous options for any cooling configuration you could think of, fitting 280mm AIOs, or air coolers up to 155mm in height, and has space for 2 top and 2 bottom mounted fans, as well as being compatible with the biggest GPUs on the market while being affordable and very easy to build in. Not the smallest ITX case going but has a very clean and minimalist design and is a great place to start for anyone looking to downsize from ATX.

CPU:
Zen 2/3 Ryzen
Intel 11400

Ryzen CPUs are going to be your best bet in most smaller cases as they generally have lower TDPs so don't need the beefiest coolers going. The Intel 11400 is an excellent budget/midrange option generally and is also quite power efficient, however ITX z590 motherboards are still quite pricey compared to AMD alternatives. You can make the hungriest CPUs work but you'll need to do more research on what air coolers fit in your case/how big of an AIO you can install in there.

CPU Cooler:
Scythe Fuma 2 - excellent value, best performing air cooler to fit in the NR200
Scythe Mugen 5 - slightly cheaper but worse option
Noctua NH-U12S - single fan single tower, expensive but good noctua quality
Noctua NH-U12A - double fan single tower, expensive but excellent noctua quality, still beaten by the Fuma 2

GPU:
Depends on size and fan configuration

Generally with any build you're going to decide what GPU you want/can afford/get and then go from there and the same is even more pertinent with ITX builds. Smaller cases require shorter 2 slot GPUs, while larger ITX cases like the NR200 can fit pretty much all of the three slot 3090 behemoths going. If you're going for a smaller sandwich style layout case like the Ncase M1 with a vertically mounted GPU, you don't want a flow through cooler design such as on the FE 3080/90.

Motherboard:
Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX - has everything apart from front USB C, which isn't necessary with the NR200
ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming-ITX - has front USB C, if your case needs it
ASRock Z590M-ITX - Cheapest 11th gen Intel option

RAM:
Check compatibility with CPU cooler, sometimes LPX RAM required but most of the time not.

PSU:
You'll need an SFX format PSU.
Corsair SF series have excellent Gold and Platinum options at 600W and 750W and are the go-to for most SFF builders.
EVGA, Seasonic and Coolermaster also have SFX options available.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

MonkeyFit posted:

Isn't the H1 the case that had the faulty riser cables that started fires and then NZXT tried to avoid responsibility as much as possible?

Yes fair enough, I'd listed the case just as an example of a popular SFF case in vertical format but given the issues with it I shouldn't have. Maybe OP can link the SSUPD Meshilicious as a replacement instead.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

There's no need for angry debating, there's been numerous studies by people with way more time and equipment than the rest of us have to study the minutae and 'blob in the middle' is absolutely all you need. The physically inevitable result of smooshing two surfaces together takes care of the distribution and the way to check is seeing if your temps are in line with other people. No need to stress yourself beyond that.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

$?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Bouchehog posted:

Sorry, that would have been helpful...!

£1,600 for all of the above bundle. That's $2,200 at the current rate of exchange, which is a hideous £1=$1.4. Traditionally UK-US comparisons for tech work out about 1:1 so $1,600 might be a better comparison.

I’m British, I just wrote the dollar because most itf aren’t. Erm, adding up those parts separately comes to about £1300 because the motherboard is one of those absurdly expensive £300 jobs, so in this market that’s not too bad at all. You’re right in that those parts wouldn’t be the first choices in a normal market but they’re not bad.

Have you checked cyberpower uk to see what kind of system you can build there in the same price range? Alternatively, you could build around the 11400 which is a readily available excellent midrange option and pick exactly what other parts you want, and get by on the integrated graphics until you can snag a GPU.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Also really looking for some recommended builds if anyone has one, as well as individual parts.

Bargain bin
Mid range
High end
I hate money tier (if you want to make a comedy build).
SFF

If you’re going to source one one of these, you’ll need do it as a PPP list, and include EVERYTHING, including extra case fans and dumb poo poo like that if the case needs them.

Mid range ITX build (~$1300)
Mid/High end ITX build (~$1500)
High end ITX build (~$1700)
Enthusiast/gently caress money ITX build(~$2200)

• The mid range build would work minus the GPU for a $900 system to tide people over while they try to get a GPU.
  • There's a price difference of $30 between the NR200 and the NR200P. Both cases come with a 120mm fan and a vented side panel. The extra $30 gets you an additional 120mm fan in place of the 90mm fan included with the cheaper option, and an extra tempered glass side panel to swap in if you wish. The 90mm fan in the cheaper option is intended as a rear exhaust but if you buy a tower CPU cooler it most likely won't fit and will be left out of the build. The glass side panel is a nice extra to have but isn't optimal for temps, although they're still perfectly serviceable. Two 120mm fans can always go somewhere in the case, hence me preferring the NR200P generally, although if you know you're not interested at all in the glass side panel you can save a small bit of money by going with the regular version and buying additional Arctic P12s as required.
  • Ignore the compatibility warning with the Fuma 2 and the NR200P - I have the same cooler and motherboard and it fits with both the standard mesh panel and the glass side panel.
  • The last three AMD builds with the Fuma 2 include a slim Noctua fan intended to go in the top rear of the case as that specific cooler and motherboard combination rules out a standard 25x120mm fan there. The Arctic P12 goes in the top front as exhaust, and the two fans included with the NR200P can go as bottom intakes. This also depends on the thickness of the GPU - 2 slot FE cards all allow for regular 25x120mm bottom fans, thicker ones may not, although thermals aren't affected too much with no bottom intake fans.
  • The 600W PSU is more than sufficient for a 5600x and 3080 in the high end build, again from personal experience.
  • Cheaper SFX PSUs are available, but I've stuck with the Corsair ones because they're very proven and reliable, and also the cables in the platinum versions are very high quality and pliable, which they need to be to route them effectively.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Heavy Metal posted:

Thanks, that rocks, much appreciated! Just messed with it a bit (I don't know what I'm doing), tentatively an Asrock motherboard since a friend likes that brand, and a Corsair case. That just raises it from $728.92 to $752.93. And adding Windows 10 makes it $861.71. Also that particular power supply is $110 from newegg, the lower price is just from an Amazon reseller (maybe no warranty?). So if I went with that one from a usual seller, that'd make the total about $912.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8JPzVc

Just to iterate on what you've been told already, your use case described the 11400 almost perfectly so you'd be mad not to build around that. I've modified your build to include that, along with a better CPU cooler (easier to mount), CL16 instead of CL18 RAM and twice the NVMe SSD storage capacity (you'll be grateful for this).

Go with that PSU Pilfered Pallbearers linked, get a Windows key from SAMart and you're all set for under $850.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Wtf is ‘semi-passive cooling’

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Xander77 posted:

The thread recommended I pick up a GTX 1660 TI as a replacement back in 2019 - is that still the default cost-conscious option? The steam thread recommended a Ryzen card?
I'm guessing a 2 terabyte SSD would be a decent compromise, no need to go out of my way for a 4 TB? Also, there are SATA and NVME SSD drives, apparently?

There's a lot going on here. You didn't really give any budget so I don't know what you're aiming for particularly but I'll try to give you some advice.

Ryzens are CPUs not GPUs. You'd need a new motherboard, CPU and DDR4 RAM at a minimum to get one, although given the age of your system you are due a full rebuild soon. If you do go that route then the best low/midrange CPU at the moment is the Intel 11400, with the midrange and higher option being the Ryzen 5600x.

SATA and NVMe SSDs are basically equivalent in price now so there's little point to getting a much slower and physically larger SATA drive. The 1TB SN550 NVMe from Western Digital is the standard thread recommendation for price/performance. A 2TB NVMe drive would cost you around ~$200 (or whatever the equivalent is in whichever market you buy it from) and is probably more storage than you need (although I have one in my system because I quickly used 1TB, but that's because I've a bunch of huge recent games installed on there). Also you really need to check your motherboard to make sure you even have an M.2 slot, which is where the NVMe SSD would go. I did a quick google and it looks like there are LGA 1150 boards which had them, so maybe you're good.

GPU wise the market is totally hosed so good luck there. Idk if they're even producing the 1660 series cards anymore, although one at MSRP would be good for your needs.

You almost certainly need to replace your PSU soon too.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Target Practice posted:

Had my IT buddy at work come up with something, wanted to run by for a second opinion. I have a 2080 ready to drop into it. Basically my current computer has an i7-920 in it and contemporary everything. Started with a gtx 470, was gifted an old 660ti and then an old 1080. Looking to maybe play the new battlefield, Diablo 4, etc with it.

The Intel 11400 is a better CPU for cheaper than the 3600, or you could step up to the 5600x. I'd be wary of spending that little on a motherboard, it'll work but it's very bare bones. Don't spend $130 on a 500gb NVMe when you can get a 1tb SN550 for cheaper that's functionally the same performance wise. I'd want to get a slightly beefier (600W+) Gold rated PSU if I were you. And as the other poster said, get a windows key in SA mart for $15.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

So then what's the advantage? Also, I remember in AMD's stage demo awhile back they mentioned that streaming had less impact on the performance of the 3000 series than Nvidia's offerings. Is this true, and does it apply (presumably) to Steam streaming?

I might use Steam home streaming from my PC to my TV on occasion, or through something like Parsec.

Have a look at the charts on an actually reputable site and flush userbenchmark down the toilet where it belongs.

The 6800XT is a much faster card than the 3070 in straight framerates (it was released to compete with the 3080, and beats it in some games) but is significantly worse when it comes to ray tracing and not having DLSS. Nvidia's cards have a better suite of AI features designed to help streamers but I don't know how those relate to Steam streaming.

OP can we get a giant flashing banner somewhere in the first posts telling people not to use userbenchmark because it's dogshit?

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 18, 2021

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Looks good.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Gameko posted:

Gonna trip out to my local micrometer this morning to search for a gpu. Maybe I'll get lucky. My current GPA seems to be sitting the bed so I'm hoping to get ahead of it. Launch 1070 if anyone cares.

I would expect a new graphics card to make your GPA worse rather than better, unless your classes involve lots of 3D modelling and rendering

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

mA posted:

In that case, a 3600 should be sufficient, especially if your friend is only gaming above 1080p. A 5600x doesn't really make that much of a difference in that case.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I don't have any interest in playing beyond 1080p 60fps but I do want to be able to multitask a lot, running like Discord video calls / streams or giant piles of browser windows on my second monitor while I play.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

DarkHorse posted:

So, anything egregiously wrong with this list?

Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($67.98 @ Amazon)

This motherboard is functional but stands out to me as very cheap and bare bones compared to everything else on the list. I'd suggest at the least finding a cheap B550 board for potential future PCIe 4 benefits.

SnatchRabbit posted:

My current Gaming PC has a EVGA G3 650 power supply running a GTX 2080 FE, 3700X, ASus Tuf Gaming Mobo, NVME and a platter drive, 16gb RAM @ 3GHz. PSU is probably 2-3 years old I'd say. If I were to upgrade to a EVGA 3070 Ti FTW3 would I need to upgrade the PSU? no custom cooling or anything that really pulls from the PSU as far as I can remember.

Personally I don't think a 2080 to a 3070ti is enough of an upgrade to be worth however much you'd spend on the new GPU, unless you can get it at RRP and you're planning on selling the 2080 for scalper prices.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 29, 2021

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Spaseman posted:

How worried do I really need to be about a motherboard I buy not having BIOS that will allow me to boot a zen 3 processor? I don't have any other AMD processors and making flashback a requirement for a board is pretty limiting.

Also, should I avoid any of the mobo manufactures or is quality pretty high all around?

Not really as pretty much all boards on shelves now will have been shipped from the factory with the necessary BIOS updates.

Why is flashback limiting? It's the opposite, it allows people to upgrade their processors without having to buy all new hardware because the socket changed or whatever. It's easy to do as long as you have access to another Windows system and a USB stick. Using a processor is only necessary for boards that don't have a flashback feature.

People will have favourites and horror stories but they're all decent at this point. Just choose based on the features rather than the brand.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Spaseman posted:

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant that not all boards have flashback and I'd rather not exclude them just for not having it.

If you're looking at Zen 3 you should be getting a b550 board for PCIe 4 compatibility and basically every non-budget board has flashback there. As I said though you most likely won't need it but unless you're really trying to save then your board should have it regardless.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

lurker2006 posted:

what price should I be looking for on a 3070 prebuilt for it to be worth the downsides? There was a 5600x 3070 build for 1650$ earlier today that I almost pulled the trigger on before it ran out of stock. Worth waiting for light at the end of the tunnel or is anything none 1060 tier going to be 1400$+ for the foreseeable future?

I'd say that would be a decent price for a prebuilt even in more normal times, a 3070 + 5600x build from scratch would run you ~$1300 at RRP. Obviously if it's from dell or some other poo poo supplier who uses proprietary or barebones parts it'd be less attractive.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

You guys are confusing them now. The RAM they chose is totally fine.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Gothmog1065 posted:

So it looks like prices are starting to fall and availability is going up on GPUs. I'm looking for something that is equivalent or better than my Radeon HD 7870.

From what I can tell I have 2ish options:

Radeon RX 5600
GeForce 16/2660.

Are those a moderately decent upgrade for what I have? I'm not pulling the trigger yet, but it just seems they're coming more available now (Especially the GeForce). I'd rather keep a Radeon because of drivers, unless those have gotten easier to swap out.

None of those cards are in production anymore so you're at the whims and vagaries of the second hand market. Also there's no such thing as a 2660, it's the 2060 you're thinking of. It would be better for you to set a budget and then see what the best card you can get with that is, rather than aiming for anything specific. Second hand cards including the ones you've listed have all been selling for absurd prices lately, the time to buy one would have been approximately 10 months ago when people were selling off their old cards before realising how wild poo poo was going to get.

At RRP, the cheapest new card you can get would be the RTX 3060 at $329. The cheapest AMD offering atm is the 6700 XT at $479. These would both be huge upgrades over your current card. There are currently no budget or midrange options because all production capacity is going towards the more expensive cards because why wouldn't they make as many as they can while they're selling like hotcakes.

Worrying about drivers should be at the bottom of your list of concerns right now. Get what you can and use driver removal tools if you need to.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jul 1, 2021

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

CoolCab posted:

i think they've put the 2060 specifically back into production? so you can get "new" as in fresh from a retail outlet cards, but not "new" as in new technologies and such.

have they stopped making the 16 series?

16 series has ended production from googling and I've heard that more 2060s were being produced but they're still being scalped horribly so what's the point.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Performance difference is going to be negligible too. I'd choose based on size and aesthetics and availability rather than worrying about a specific model atm.

Iirc you have an itx case and those are both unnecessarily huge 3 fan 3060s, so make sure that they'll fit or leave you with enough room for the rest of your build.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

lurker2006 posted:

you'd probably be better off diverting some money from other areas to get a better mobo, a b550 is low tier for an r5 and you seem to want a high performance machine.

This is extremely wrong and no-one should listen to it

LuckyCat posted:

How does this look? Is it worthwhile to upgrade from my Samsung EVO 840 SSD while I’m at it?

Looks good. You have space for NVMe drives in your motherboard and that would be a smart upgrade if you need more space. Speed wise they're much faster for large file transfers but for regular usage like loading games or booting the OS the difference between SSDs and NVMes is fairly negligible, but given the price parity there's little reason to not go for an NVMe.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Unsinkabear posted:

Are the prices on other components also insane right now, or can I build something affordable-ish around this that doesn't bottleneck it? I'd like to spend less than $1k in total if I can.

That's a good price for that card in this market and you can definitely spec out the rest of the pc under $1k, prices on other components are mostly normal.

What monitor do you have? What games do you want to play? Any specific software that you use or other requirements that we need to know about? Etc

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

teagone posted:

I'm also reading up on 1TB NVMe drives atm, and am undecided on what to recommend currently.

Whatever size WD SN550 they can afford

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I have an SF600 and I don't think the 24 pin cable would go that far. Best to return it imo.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

ben shapino posted:

The vendor doesn't accept returns unfortunately. So I'm stuck with my current PSU for now unless I get extensions or another case :(

edit: bad advice removed

An extension like this would also work as has been said.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jul 6, 2021

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Not that cord specifically. It's unlikely that a corsair modular power cable will work in a cooler master PSU, and it's potentially very dangerous to try. I would contact cooler master customer support and inquire as to which cables are compatible with your PSU before buying any longer replacement cables.

As noted earlier in the thread, this is not a concern for extension cables. You can buy extension cables on newegg for pretty cheap, like the one I linked above.

Thanks for correcting me; I'd misread and had it in my head OP had a corsair SF PSU because they're the most common.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Yes. Reputable brand and gold rated is fine. You'll find bad reviews on every single component if you look hard enough. You'd be fine with a 650W PSU if you want to save a little bit but obviously some overhead isn't a problem.

Swap the SSD for an SN550 1TB at the same price and much faster.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

DammitJanet posted:

That said, until the video card market improves, I'm re-using my GPU, case, sata SSD's and power supply from my current machine, so I'm just looking for recommendations on CPU, cooler, motherboard, RAM, and maybe an M.2 SSD.

The other poster's recommendations are good except given that you're video editing and more RAM is definitely helpful there then I would maybe drop the NVMe for the time being and bump yourself up to 32GB of 3200 CL16 RAM. Also I'd swap the cooler out, the hyper 212 is a pain to mount whereas the Arctic Freezer 34 is a little cheaper and much more user friendly. Also the SN550 is a little cheaper and still performs excellently for an NVMe. Something like this, if you don't want to go overbudget then you could drop the cooler and use the stock cooler for the time being, or drop the NVMe and order that later.

LorneReams posted:

I think this is what I'm looking for:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CkbsGq

Is there anything dumb about this? It seems like all the prices except for a few exceptions were cheaper at MicroCenter which is like an hour from me, so that's where I'm going as soon as I figure out what I need.

There's nothing wrong with any of these parts except pretty much all of them are slight overkill for very little/no actual real world performance gain, where you'd be better trimming them down and putting the savings into a better GPU whenever you can get hold of one. At RRP the 5800x is kind of in no mans land value wise between the 5600x and 5900x although if you can get it at $380 I'd say that's worth it. The two extra cores don't really affect gaming performance but will help with multi-core workloads. The NH-D15 is the beefiest air cooler going and not really necessary for the 5800x, when the Scythe Fuma 2 performs almost as well and is a little over half the price. Likewise you absolutely don't need a $300 X570 motherboard. Find a B550 that does everything you want and you save well over $100 there. Finally if you can actually get an SN850 for $100 then by all means go for it but it's normally a $200 part and is double the cost of the thread favourite SN550, whose real world performance is indistinguishable from the SN850.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Looks great.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Lol welcome to 10 months ago

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

ephphatha posted:

Two things I could use help with, first is that I'm not sure if the PSU is appropriate for this system. I've seen recent advice being to get something overspecced for when (if) the GPU market stabilises and more power hungry cards come out, but given the CPU is so low power draw I might be fine with an sf600 instead? Also I'd like to replace the CPU cooler, I'm tempted to go with a sidemount AIO water cooler (despite that being overkill :v:), any recommendations there would be appreciated.

I have a 5600x and 3080 in the nr200 running off the SF600 no problem. My normal power draw is around 450, with undervolts it’s more like 400.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Cyberdud posted:

Comments? Suggestions? Pre-builts are getting alot of attention now cause they seem to be the only way to score a nice card but i've heard alot of mixed signals from stuff coming out of NZXT or Artesian builds.

With your budget you absolutely should be getting a new monitor/s as 1080p@60 is considered low end these days. Hop into the monitor thread but 1440p@144hz is the sweet spot at the moment and absolutely drivable with the kind of build you were recommended.

Don't bother with separate NVMe and SSDs as they're so similar in cost as to make that pointless. The SN550 you were recommended actually comes in a 2TB form if you can find that. If you can find and afford a 3080 at close to RRP then you absolutely should, given your budget, as while expensive it performs like it and would be a great match with a 1440p high refresh rate monitor for years to come. Otherwise the 3070 is also a great card.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

How does this prebuilt look? I know it doesn’t come with an SSD, but I have an SSD already form my current desktop that I could add:

https://deals.dell.com/en-us/productdetail/9pv7

To add to the hypothetical discussion, the parts worth taking out of that (CPU, GPU, RAM and HDD) would run you around $730 at RRP. If you bought it and found the internals are too proprietary to let you install an SSD, or the performance was lacking, it would take you buying some non-poo poo parts such as in this list I quickly put together for another ~$330 to unfuck it.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Waroduce posted:

Yeah, the laptop thread discussion sent me here. I need a device now unfortunately since my personal is on its last legs. The laptop I was eyeballinng has a Ryzen 9 which is pretty sexy and a 3070 at right around 1800$ but just tracking this conversation I guess the PC pre-built would be nice to get in on and than part upgrade in the future.

Are there any major concerns with this pre-built? The only thing I hit on was the processor being a bit older

Just for clarification, laptop parts and PC parts are not equivalent so a laptop 3070 will perform nowhere near as well as a fullsize 3070 in a PC, ditto the CPU, because if you had the same TDP parts in that small of a frame it would likely set on fire. So the 'Ryzen 9' in whatever laptop you're looking at will absolutely perform worse than the 5800x in a full size PC.

Also it's better to step away from 'Ryzen or Intel 5/7/9' terminology as that tells you basically gently caress all about the component. For Ryzens at least, Ryzen 9 could mean a Ryzen 3900, a 3950, a 4900H, a 5900, a 5900X, a 5950X, it's a clusterfuck. Generally the number denotes the number of cores but that's not always consistent either. 'Ryzen 5' usally means 6 cores but has meant 4 cores in mobile versions, 'Ryzen 7' usually means 8 but has meant 4 cores in mobile CPUs, and 'Ryzen 9' can mean 8, 12, or 16.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jul 16, 2021

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Waroduce posted:

oooo thats nice! ill uy this late est or tomorrow if no one cautions me in the interim

While the case has more airflow and the parts are all decent, the 3700X is strictly worse than the 5800X. It won't make much of a difference for purely gaming at higher resolutions, mind.

If you wanted the project, you could transplant all the parts from the cyberpower pc into a better airflow case, but it would require a decent amount of work and research if you don't know what you're doing already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I was surprised to see the O11 Dynamic in the #2 spot. I know it has a lot of appeal for not being lame gamer aesthetic and having a minimal modernist look

Lol, looking at that case I'm pretty sure it's as high up as it is because it allows for the maximum amount of RGB unicorn vomit fans to be on display at once