Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Is there any point waiting for Black Friday sales here in the US to build an entirely new computer? Doing a build for a friend, who doesn’t live near micro center but does have a Newegg card. He’s pretty excited to build now but I’m not sure if there’s any big deals to be had by doing it all at that Friday/Monday period? Looks like we’re already saving enough money as it is with Newegg bundles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

MarcusSA posted:

Good points. I have an 8700k now that I’ve had for at least 5 years now so the intent is to hold on to this machine for a similar time frame.

Jesus has it really been 5 years since I bought my i7 8700 non-k?

I was wondering if mine is getting long in the tooth but im not sure if it makes sense for me to upgrade yet….I also wonder if i would make Victoria 3 run any faster lategame. PC nerds, when do I know im getting CPU bottlenecked?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

CordlessPen posted:

'sup, computer in home gym buddy!

This is the idealized version of me. Maybe one day

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

grack posted:

I like the Thermaltake Core V1 and V21 for the same reason - all the panels come off and it makes it easier to work in. Pretty good airflow, too.

V1 is a great case. Sucks that the max GPU length is pretty short though. My EVGA 1070 dual fan just barely barely fit and that’s with downsizing the front intake fan.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
So when do I start worrying about my i7 8700 non-k bottlenecking my RTX 3070 or slowing things down more in games like Victoria 3? Much like with my i5 6500, it’s a little harder to tell if/when the processor is holding things up or not.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Ughh my 6 month old SFX PSU has been getting a rattly fan noise that started off as inaudible and now progressively getting worse. Cooler Master gave this a 10 year warranty so I’m not worried about anything but it sucks that I just can’t swap the fan out without voiding it, and now the alternative is waiting however-many days without a PSU to use my computer with.

It would own bones if they could just cross ship me another PSU with a credit card hold like EVGA did with me but I’m not keeping my hopes up.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Taima posted:

Word, yeah I am, thanks!

Cooler Master does not have a good claim reputation unfortunately but you'll probably be taken care of on a longer time scale (unless they improved in the last few years)

Gah balls. Well, there’s a microcenter 45 minutes from me that has the same product there. Wonder if I could just buy it again and return it once my RMA is done. Ideally this whole thing doesn’t take a month.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I’ve had my Cooler Master PSU RMA ticket open for 7 days now with no movement, which makes me think the whole process is gonna be at least a month minimum. How involved is a PSU fan replacement going to be? Looks like I can easily find another 92mmx15mm fan online but the issue may be that the fans im finding are 4 pin, whereas the header on my PSU is apparently 2 pin?

Yet this adapter seems like it would do the trick? CRJ Mini XH-2.5mm 2-Pin Female to 3-Pin and 4-Pin PC Fan Adapter Cable (2-Pack) https://a.co/d/9kyJz76

Is this a safe bet? Also, the built in fan is DC 12V, 0.36A. If I replace the built in fan with this one that apparently has a current of 0.18, will that spin properly and activate when it should? https://www.amazon.com/Scythe-Kaze-Flex-92mm-300-2500RPM/dp/B08YR1J96F

I can also take this post elsewhere, but this seems to be the general PC thread in this forum.

e: or should I just cut my losses, find a better 850w SFX PSU, sell the refurb unit I get returned to me in a month or two whenever CM gets back to me? I’m taking suggestions.

buglord fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 31, 2023

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
2 and a half weeks for Cooler Master to acknowledge my PSU RMA, goon lord. The warehouse I shipped it to today is 20 miles away and UPS says it’ll get there by tomorrow. Maybe I’ll get it fixed/replaced within 2 weeks? Or maybe they’ll just sit on it for 2 months who tf knows.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
SFF got me into learning about undervolting/power limiting and it helps keep noise/temps down for fairly minimal real world performance cost.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Question for ya smarties:

What’s the best upgrade path from a i7 8700 non-k for ITX/SFF gaming? Will 6 cores 12 threads be enough or is 8/16 the new hotness orrr am I chasing the wrong thing entirely here? This CPU will be used exclusively for gaming, and it will likely be tweaked/power limited a bit that way it stays cooled by my NHL12S (a small horizontal tower) cpu cooler.

Im tempted to go the AMD route and get a R5 7600 non-x, though I’d have to get a more expensive motherboard. I figure maybe if I get on the AM5 platform, I could maybe keep the motherboard for 3 or 4 CPU generations like AMD says (unless I heard that wrong?)

Then on the flip side there’s Intel but I’m completely lost on their E & P core things, I have no idea how that fits into gaming. Or should I just wait another generation if possible?

If it helps, the resolution im at is 1440p with a RTX 3070, ideally targeting 90-100 fps.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Not to pick on you specifically but you’re not the only goon I’ve known who has a zillion tabs open and leaves them open. How does that work? I guess for me, even if I could open 100 tabs and all have them loaded and not worry about ram, I’d still not have enough IRL brain space to remember what’s open and why.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
e: wrong thread.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

grack posted:

New case time. Don't reuse this.

Alternatively, reuse the case and prove the haters wrong get a new case lol don’t do this to yourself

Out of curiosity Fozzy, what CPU is that? That’s such a tiny heatsink.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Fozzy The Bear posted:

WTF, I must be too old school, integrated graphics have always been associated with cheap PCs. Thanks.

I’m excited to see your reaction to upgrading from a Bush administration era PC when it all arrives.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
In my experience, the included motherboard and case manuals were more than enough. I think that combined with YouTube build guides would be sufficient.

It’s kind of hard to mess things up but by all means please take your time installing the CPU. Any video guide worth watching would tell you to pay special attention to the orientation of the CPU so pins aren’t bent (very very bad), and how to install the CPU heat sink properly to get contact (annoying if messed up but not catastrophic)

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Lawman 0 posted:

I'm looking for a checklist to follow to soothe my anxiety about doing this because I'm not very confident about doing it.

Can’t help you here either as I’m phone posting but if you’re gonna checklist anything, do it for wiring. That’s what always tripped me up on my first builds. The biggest danger with wiring is plugging RGB cables into the wrong headers which can apparently damage them, but if you aren’t worried about RGB for this build you’ll be fine. Another danger is mixing and matching PSU cables from different PSUs. This can kill entire components/systems. Luckily, it sounds like you are starting fresh. Only ever use the cables that came with your PSU with that same exact PSU. Never ever mix and match between two PSUs.

I know my next sentence is gonna sound very jarring: aside from that, wiring is pretty low risk. If you mess something up, the machine will either refuse to turn on or not boot all the way. Then you locate the thing that wasn’t plugged in and it works.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Professional tea leaf readers, your time has come. What year (and time of year for extra bonus points) should i expect to see AMD RX 8000 GPUs and R5/7 9000 CPUS? Hoping maybe my i7 8700 won’t get murdered by starfield, and hoping my 3070 won’t choke on 8GB VRAM.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Zen 5 CPUs (Ryzen 8000) are rumored to be arriving Q1 2024, and RDNA4 (Radeon 8000) have no rumored arrival date, but Q3 or Q4 2024 seem likely to me.

lmao, no, do not do this. they are not reliable, especially not RGT.

Yeah I know of those other sites, but I can only follow so many rumor sites actively (macrumors my beloved). Looks like I'll probably pounce when Zen 5 releases and see if the hypothetical 8 core R7 8700 is a big enough upgrade over my i7 8700 and see how it compares to the then older 7800X3D. And hopefully by that point AM5 ITX boards have come down in price too.If I post in this thread about my shiny new CPU before this period, you'll know I failed the mission of waiting.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I have some Western Digital M.2 SATA SSD. is that forwards compatible with NVME M.2 slots or is that a no-go? I’d like to keep using that in a new itx motherboard instead of having to upgrade (especially because it appears that the gap between SATA and NVME seems pretty minor in game load times).

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Zero VGS posted:

Jeez, I just checked out the mini-ITX AM5 boards and they're all like $250.

Also, why do all of them have fans on their chipsets? I thought they sorted that poo poo out with the 500-series AM4?

edit: wait, can't tell if those are all chipset fans or M.2 SSD fans. SSD fan is stupid but at least that's optional

Yeah ITX tax for AM5 feels particularly awful. Dunno what happened there.

On the subject of M.2 fans, do they have any effect on performance when your workload is gaming? I feel like loading a level wouldn’t require active cooling the same way moving hundreds of gigabytes back and forth or render avocados or whatever people to do push them

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
How much of a dingus am I if I get a 7800X3D then put it in 65w eco mode so my itx cooler can handle it? I was initially hoping to slide through with a 7600 or 7700 but I play Paradox games a lot and apparently the X3D stuff makes a big difference in those kinds of games.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
PSA for people buying Starfield promo AMD CPUs from Microcenter. I didn’t get a redemption code at the register (not sure if they’re supposed to provide one there or not). I went onto Microcenter’s website and used their live chat tool to message a rep. They confirmed the phone number tied to my microcenter account, then sent me my starfield code to an email address I provided.

So yeah, simple fix. Now I can get hyped for this game since I didn’t have to pay for it.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
So with the new platform upgrade I did, im deciding how to sell my old CPU+mobo+SSD+RAM as a combo.

I want to sell this locally and am thinking of how to price it best.

I know eBay prices are a bit "inflated", in that you're paying a higher price for buyer protection and probably shipping, so Craigslist/Offerup would understandably be cheaper right? Here's what the bundle includes and what it costs, because I can't be arsed to part things out:

i7 8700 (sold used on ebay for about $90)
WD Blue SATA III M.2 1TB (sold used on ebay for $50)
32GB (16x2) Corsair Vengence DDR4 2666Mhz RAM (sold used ebay for $40)
ASUS Z370-I ITX Motherboard (sold used on ebay for $150)

Total comes out to $330 separate, but since im selling it all as a glued together combo that's priced to move, maybe no lower than $250? Is that reasonable or am I out of touch there?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Having issues with no display after doing a platform upgrade.

Existing components are GPU (3070), PSU(SFF Coolermaster 850W), case. Everything else is new:

7800X3D
32GB Corsair DDR5 6000
x2 Samsung NVME M.2 SSDs
MSI MPG B650-I WI-FI

I assembled the entire PC, then put a flash drive in the back with the BIOS file, did a BIOS update with the machine off, waited for the red flashing light to finish. I was left with a no display and a green error light which means that a boot device was missing (I figured it would at least let me go to the BIOS, but I guess not so I loaded windows onto a flash drive and stuck it in. Windows does like a 2-3 part install which requires some reboots, but this time I can’t get any video out and I’m left wondering if I knocked something out while moving the computer. No error lights on the motherboard. PCIE riser is tucked in nicely, all the power slots in the motherboard were where they should be…but I have no idea what I’m missing here because I was able to see the display.

I’m kinda stumped but also really tired.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
So I think I figured out the cause, since using the integrated graphics worked but the gpu didnt.

My computer has a PCIE 3.0 riser cable. My BIOS has “PCI_E1 Gen Switch” set as Auto. When I switch it to Gen 3, the gpu actually works.

This should leave everything else intact right?

buglord fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Aug 2, 2023

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Ah, yeah, that will do it. That's a common issue when using riser cables. The rest of those options should stay as they are. Also make sure EXPO is enabled for your memory.

Yeah I definitely enabled that. Since I’m heat constrained too, what’s the MSI equivalent bios setting that keeps all these CPU cores running at 4.20ghz? I remember ASUS had some “enhancement” feature that did that so the cores would stay constantly pegged for reasons I can’t fathom.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

power crystals posted:

I like having the igpu around to fall back to if things are behaving weirdly but if you have a dedicated GPU you don't need it, no.

I thought I was too cool for a iGPU but the 7800X3D having one made it way easier to solve a problem when my new build was POSTing but didn’t display video.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
My RTX 3070 runs at 100% when in BG3 and the temps go to 90C. No other game does this to my GPU. not to say you shouldn’t upgrade your computer, but this game stresses my GPU in a way that other games (Cyberpunk, Red Dead Redemption 2, Horizon Zero Dawn) don’t.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Ever since upgrading my PC I’ve noticed that sometimes my keyboard and mouse acts up and start skipping in their tracking or typing. Both are wireless, connected by two 2.4ghz recievers. My new motherboard only has USB 3.0 ports. Apparently, these two things don’t mix so nicely. Anyone else run into this problem?

Some searching suggests getting a little USB 2.0 dongle and have both receivers connect to that behind my motherboard. But the only things backing up that idea are Reddit posts so I’m not sure if throwing $10 at the problem makes for a great first step.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Friends asked me to price out a PC for them that I will hopefully have the honor of building. I want you to tell me how to make this better.

What country are you in? USA
Do you live near Microcenter? Yes
What are you using the system for? :pcgaming:
What's your budget? ~$1000 with flexibility.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? 1440p 60hz, existing Mac monitor. Desired graphics settings and FPS is at least exceeding a current gen console experience.

Proposed build:

Corsair RM750e 750 Watt 80 Plus Gold $99 @ Microcenter
Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 1TB M.2 NVMe $55 @ Microcenter
ASRock AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT Challenger D Dual-Fan 12GB $329 @ Microcenter
AMD Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI B650-P Pro WiFi, G.Skill Flare X5 Series 32GB 2 x 16GB DDR5-6000 Combo $399 @ Microcenter
Fractal Design Meshify C Tinted Tempered Glass Midtower ATX Case - Black $99 @ Microcenter
Windows 10/11 key from our SA guy $15

Pretax Total, minus CPU cooler: $996

Several questions:

1) What CPU cooler should be added to the 7700X? This will be running at stock settings. Initially I wrote up this build for the 7700 non-x, but we would lose out on the bundle offer.
2) Any issues with a PCIE 3.0 vs a 4.0 SSD at this budget level?
3) Any alternative GPUs I should consider? Will spending $X more give me more leeway?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Yudo posted:

The Thermalright Peerless Assassin is cheap (~$30) and can handle that CPU easily.

No, with a drive as fast as the 970 Evo you won't notice any difference. I have the 2tb version of that drive, and one of the fasted PCE4 NVMEs on the market. The number of times I noticed any difference I could count on one hand.

The 6700XT is roughly equivalent to the PS5. To get something more performant, you would need to spend at least $100 more on a AMD 6800--25% faster on average, for 23% more money. After that, the rest of your options are $500 and up (in order of raster performance, the 6800xt at $500, 4070 at $590, and the 6950xt also at $590). If you are willing to buy used, there are some nice prices on 3080s out there, though I can see why you might be reluctant to go that route. It really comes down to what games you want to play, and how much you are willing to stretch your budget.

Edit: also, where is the PSU? Are you recycling and old one? If so, how old is it?

It’s the Corsair at the top of the original post. I realize now how weird it is to post the PSU first.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Yudo posted:

Sorry, missed it. Long day.

They want to do a prebuilt instead off Craigslist :negative: :negative: :negative:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

sponges posted:

I don’t have a specific refresh rate or resolution in mind.

I play games like Elden Ring.

Resolution and refresh rates can easily throw a build several hundred dollars one way or another which is why we’re asking. It’s mostly for the benefit of your wallet. The horsepower to play a high budget game at 1080p 60fps (your standard office monitor) is gonna be vastly different than 1440p or 4k 144fps.

If possible,I’d see if a friend has a high refresh rate monitor and let them show you what a 60fps vs higher setting looks like. I wouldn’t really bother comparing monitors side by side at a big box store because they’re almost always running poorly configured demo reels at the same refresh rate and resolution, if they’re even turned on.

Some people care more than others. If you’re coming from a console, even a locked 60fps instead of 30fps (the way consoles are trending back towards) is going to be an improvement. Some people can appreciate the difference playing a game at 60fps vs 90 or 144 (I’d say I have fairly average eyes and can stop spotting changes past 90)

If your monitor is something like 24 inches, you could probably be fine sticking at 1080p. At 27 inches, you might want to try 1440p but even then my friend couldn’t tell the difference inside games at 1080/1440p at 27 inches, and I’d say he’s lucky for that, because that saves him money.

Based on your posts, I’d wager you’d have an excellent time playing Elden Ring on the cheap with a RX 7600 GPU running at 1080p60, but we also don’t want to assume and give you something underpowered for your needs (or make you spend too much money if you don’t need the bells and whistles)

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Family friend needs a new PC for work. Lots of excel, chrome, etc windows open at once. They want it to be paired with a 34 inch 3440x1440 monitor.

The answer is extremely likely going to be “prebuilt” but the question is which (especially because it appears that many motherboard-video-out ports max out at an insufficient resolution)

Microcenter nearby: yeah, though the person im planning this out for is 3 hours away. I’m visiting home in a few weeks, so there’s always the option of her waiting until I deliver it.

Purpose, resolution: MS Suite office productivity, plenty of multitasking and chrome tabs firing at once, 3440x1440. No 3D/rendering/photoshop/gaming.

Budget: “no budget” (let’s be reasonable though)

Special asks: at least 4 USB ports, though a dongle could work. Windows as an OS. Smaller footprint preferable, but doesn’t need to be “portable”.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
https://x.com/AshenCant/status/1751761841208869144

(Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth)

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Canna Happy posted:

I have an older sandwhich case with a 3.0 riser that won't display anything without first selecting pcie 3.0 in the bios. Maybe your terra cable has issues booting in 4.0? From here, it looks like everything is powered properly so the next step is to take everything out and try and boot without the riser cable imo.

I had to do this when I swapped to my new motherboard since I was (and still am) using a 3.0 riser cable. My CPU has onboard graphics so plugged video cable into the motherboard slot to do that bios change.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
*laughs in cooling a 7800X3D with a NH-L12S*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Unlucky7 posted:

I kind of have the upgrade bug now that I installed my 7800x3D, so I want to ask: How long is my RTX 3070 good for in terms of 1440p gaming? I am sort of trying to talk myself out of upgrading for now.

Sup 7800X3D with 3070 at 1440p gaming buddy. Like you I did the 7800X3D first, then got the itch and upgraded my card to a 7900XT.

Honestly, the upgrade was nice. My new baseline framerafe in a lot of games was significantly higher, like BG3, Metro Exodus, and I have everything maxed out but realistically I should have waited longer. I was already at smooth frame rates and decent settings, and now I get smoother frames and better settings (but it’s kind of that thing where High to Ultra is less impactful from Low-Medium)

It’s definitely a nice-to-have boost, and I guess I’m future proofed for GTA6 or something, but fairly marginal in the grand scheme of things when I’m still playing ancient/2D games most days.

I’d say hold off if you can, unless there’s some game currently that’s kneecapping you hard because of the 8GB VRAM.