Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Shumagorath posted:

I'm planning to build this over the Easter weekend, but I'm stuck on either the 3080Ti for hypothetical 3x1 27" 4K 120Hz monitors I don't yet have, or a 3070/Ti (depending on availability) for my existing 3x1 1200p 60Hz set and upgrading the GPU when I replace them.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700KF 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor ($483.95 @ shopRBC)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12A chromax.black 60.09 CFM CPU Cooler ($169.95 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS WIFI D4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($349.00 @ Canada Computers)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($220.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN850 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($359.00 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: ADATA XPG 8100 4 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($529.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING LE iCX3 Video Card ($1839.99 @ Memory Express)
Case: Fractal Design Define 7 XL ATX Full Tower Case ($279.99 @ Memory Express)
Power Supply: EVGA P2 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($254.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Optical Drive: Pioneer BDR-212DBK Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($94.99 @ PC-Canada)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro OEM 64-bit ($160.50 @ Vuugo)
Case Fan: Noctua A14 PWM chromax.black.swap 82.52 CFM 140 mm Fan ($33.08 @ Amazon Canada)
Case Fan: Noctua A14 PWM chromax.black.swap 82.52 CFM 140 mm Fan ($33.08 @ Amazon Canada)
Total: $4908.73
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-04-03 21:29 EDT-0400

If someone can make a compelling argument for 1440p VRR over 4K I'll happily listen, as anything would be a huge QoL improvement at this point.

You could save a decent chunk of cash rethinking your CPU cooler, case, optical drive, and fan selections.

Ex. Noctua NH-D15S chromax.Black or Dark Rock 4 instead of the U12a. Or consider getting an external writer and smaller case so you don't have to worry about cooling the giant unused area that the drive cage occupies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Shumagorath posted:

What does the cooler get me besides price? I thought the 12700 was crazy hot? Ditto with the fans - I'm loyal to Noctua but how much could I save at the same performance?

If you're really worried about heat generation, the Deep Cool Dark Rock Pro 4 or Noctua NH-D15S chromax.Black are both cheaper and have better performance than the Noctua NH-U12A.

quote:

I liked working in the 7 XL for a friend a lot more than my own R5, and if I have top ventilation is that a huge concern? The 7 XL also allows sideways mounting of the GPU (assuming Fractal put a 4.0 bridge out).

The issue with a big-rear end case is that you have a big-rear end volume that you need to move air around. You're going to fill what, one of those drive bays and everything else will be empty space? Sure, that will make the case "easier to work in", but it's not like you're re-building your computer every week.

Why not an external housing for the drive and a smaller case, then?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Shumagorath posted:

Hmm, not a bad idea; I could run the drive up to my desktop.

Noctua's own chart says that cooler is supposed to be top-tier. What am I missing?

The NH-U12A's biggest strength is that it's compact and cools well for the size. You can get better (or at least similarly) performing air coolers for cheaper, but the tradeoff is that they'll be larger. Since you seem to favor larger cases anyways you can save some cash on your cooler and put it towards the GPU.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Shumagorath posted:

How re-usable are the thermal adhesives that come with motherboard M.2 heatsinks, or can I easily get new strips? I realized my M.2 slots are almost all out of the way of the GPU, and I could have bought the WD model with its own and used the stick-on one for the ADATA. All this does is simplify the drives' replacement in the event of their deaths, but I've also never used thermal adhesive and opted for silver paste going all the way back to my first ZIF chip.

As long as you don't tear them and they still stick, they'll be fine.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Shumagorath posted:

As someone who just installed a D15S: Get the U12A if you're working in anything less than a full tower and can spare the extra fifty bucks. Getting the fan clips back on in a Torrent would have sliced me up good if I hadn't worn gloves, and even connecting the fan header was annoying. Auxiliary board power cabling will be a fun time, surely.

Simpler solution: Attach the cooler before installing the motherboard in the case.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Then pick it up with one hand on the cooler! It's not going anywhere, especially with Noctua's mounting hardware.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

bi crimes posted:

Running FFXIV in 4k, my 2080RTX memory is sitting at 90C, with a hotspot max of 95C. That's probably making the smell! I swapped in my radeon RX 580 and there wasn't any smell.
The case is clean and there's no dust build up. I have the sides of the case taken off, it is h500 which runs hot but this is ridiculous. The RX 580 was running FFXIV in 4k at 30fps and peaking at 70C

You're probably going to have to remove the cooler and install/re-install thermal pads on the memory. If you look online you should be able to find the correct thickness for the pads you need based on the model, otherwise you can try to measure it if you have a very accurate set of calipers.

You'll also have to re-apply the thermal paste on the processor as old paste tends to become brittle, and removing the cooler will break the bond.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Shumagorath posted:

Fractal's fan controller wants me to plug the CPU HSF into it then plug the controller's wire into the CPU fan header, but there's no way the HSF will reach. I plugged the fan controller into CHA2 and everything is spinning but the RPM isn't getting through to the BIOS. Is that normal? It makes sense since between the 180mm and 140mm fans I'll have different speeds, but what will Qfan or Argus do?

This is normal. RPM sensors send a pulse twice per rotation, and having fans with different rotational feeds will garble that signal to the point that it's unusable. Different software is unlikely to help because it all has to be read by the motherboard first anyways.

A lot of PWM splitters only have a sensor pin on one output for this reason.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Peachfart posted:

So I'm getting close to purchasing a new build and I realized that I had an old case that was practically unused sitting around. It is old but would this case work?
https://www.newegg.com/black-corsair-carbide-series-air-240-micro-atx-mini-itx/p/N82E16811139044?Item=N82E16811139044
If it looks fine, it looks to be only for micro and mini ATX motherboards. Is there a recommended mini-ATX motherboard & cooler to go along with a 12600K?

The case will work fine as long as you have decent fans. You'll also want to check the measurements of your chosen components, especially your CPU cooler height. You're probably going to end up with a lot of unused space since the case was designed to hold a bunch of 3.5" drives, but that's really only a problem if you have limited desk space.

CoolCab posted:

it's tricky, in theory the limiting factor is the opposite wall (for air at least). that looks like a pretty deep case but i can't find the specific value. it's really designed more for using an AIO, so a water cooling all in one with a radiator (240 it claims to support, so 2x120mm fans). a 240 AIO isn't super expensive i would say, but i am wary because SFF cases can be a gently caress. there's a dedicated thread for it if someone can't help you here.

Call me crazy, but I think that when a case is called "Air 240", it was probably designed around using air cooling.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Peachfart posted:

Oh, I just realized I could reuse my current case. Duh. It is a Deep Silence 4, and fits CPU fans up to 160 mm, so the Scythe FUMA should work fine!
It is still a ATX Mini/Micro case though, so any suggestions on what motherboard to get? Below is the rest of my build:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12600K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor ($277.98 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Scythe FUMA 2 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($93.38 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($87.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($124.90 @ Amazon)
Total: $584.25
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-05-02 16:40 EDT-0400

P.S. - I will be reusing my 970 until I pick up a 3060ti, and I already have 2 SSD's and a storage HDD.

Make sure you do some comparison shopping on that cooler, because $90+ for the Fuma 2 is really high.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Super No Vacancy posted:

I bought more fans

S'okay, dude. I've got 8 fans stuffed in to an M-ATX case at this point

grack
Jan 10, 2012

CoolCab posted:

more fans, more better

:hmmyes:

(I added a 9th, just for fun)

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Rinkles posted:

I think at a certain point you're just adding noise

Screw you hippy, I do what I want!

Fan nine was too noisy and I had to take it out.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I physically unplugged the LED strip on my GPU. That works pretty well

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Agreed posted:

A 12400 based build would be better. Was the ibuypower case 3-fan intake but solid-fronted mostly? :catstare:

It's even worse than you might think. With cases like that, the front fans often end up recirculating hot air coming off components, making thermals even worse. It's not so bad at the top of the case due to the vent, but it's generally pretty bad around the GPU.

grack fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 23, 2022

grack
Jan 10, 2012

If you're using front intake fans:

Putting a fan between the front intakes and the CPU cooler is counterproductive, as it will exhaust the cool air coming from the front of the case before it does anything useful.

Putting a fan between the rear of the case and the CPU cooler as an exhaust is useful - the only thing there will be hot air from components.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

tehinternet posted:

What about extra intake fans perpendicular to the front fans? I figure getting more cool air inside is good even if the direct flow to the CPU might be disrupted a bit

As long as you're not exhausting the air before it reaches components it should be fine.

Shumagorath posted:

Cases uses to do the side mount at the GPU but I think mounting on the door was just a big pain. You also up the noise profile.

My rule is blast as much air as I can through filters and don't worry about the rest.

I wish more cases would go back to side intakes. If it's implemented properly it's one of the best and easiest ways to cool a GPU.

grack fucked around with this message at 07:54 on May 25, 2022

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The case is also crap. You can get a Corsair 4000d Airflow for cheaper

grack
Jan 10, 2012

err posted:

I've never installed case fans before.

I have a Lian Li Lancool II Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case and 5 Artic P12s.

I should put 3 intakes on the front, and 2 exhausts on the top and 1 exhaust on the back, is that right?

Three intake at the front

One exhaust vertical at the back.

One exhaust horizontal at the back.

Do NOT put a top mounted exhaust at the front of the case. All you're going to do is exhaust the air coming in from the front fans before it reaches the CPU. It's at best pointless, and at worst it will negatively affect CPU temps.

I'm also wondering why you're replacing the fans that came with your case. They're pretty good quality, and if you're not going to use them you should have just bought a cheaper case .

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Its that time posted:

Here folks, got a general question before diving in the more serious hardware stuff.

I'm looking to change my rig and my question is: should I or should I wait a bit?

I'm willing to spend between 2 and 3k on a new rig in canadian dollars. Don't know if I'll get a prebuilt or not (getting a sketchy vibe on those), but I'm tempted because I don't want to deal with the hassle of building one.

Memory Express and Canada Computers have good pre-builts/build services if you don't want to do it yourself.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The most important thing to remember when building a computer is to remember to make the proper sacrifices to Chupaclops, the Mighty Spider, so that he will bless your build.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

Building the first time is not easy even if you watched 5 hours of Youtube tutorials like I did. It probably took me half a day to get mine up and running because I was nervous about the tiny wires and I had trouble with some screws on the motherboard. But my second build only took like 90 minutes and it's way easier now.

Now I feel old, I built my first computer before Youtube existed. You know, the olden days

Just to answer the obvious questions, YES we had cars, NO we didn't have to walk in front of them ringing a bell so they wouldn't scare the horses. They repealed that law a year prior.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Shumagorath posted:

I had a screwdriver slip while clipping a Thermaltake Volcano 2 onto the motherboard, because back then you just used a flathead to lever on a single latch instead of fastening the beautiful mechanisms we enjoy today.

I did this on my first build. Scratched through a couple of traces around the socket and borked the M/B completely. Still able to exchange it, though.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Racing Stripe posted:

I’m building my girlfriend’s mom a pc using my old cpu, mobo, case etc. I looked in the old case and saw that the motherboard is still in place, which should save me a little time. But, should I expect to have to take it out to put new mounting hardware on for the cpu cooler? I’ll be using a different cooler, and I’m hoping that the bracket and stuff is all the same based on the socket not the cooler.

Most cases have large cutouts in the motherboard tray that will expose the back of the CPU socket.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Crimpanzee posted:

My plan to reuse my old aftermarket cpu cooler is foiled because of course they had to changed the motherboard hole pattern. As a bonus the stock cooler that came with my 12400f absolutely will not mount to my motherboard. I can only get any two of the stupid plastic push ins to engage tenuously but no matter how much force I use I cannot get the other two in without the first ones popping out. Has anyone had this problem? MB is Asus prime b660.

Stupid question - you're rotating the tops of the push pins once you have them through the board to lock the pins in place, right?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

CoolCab posted:

i wonder, does the 24 pin goes in sideways maybe? like an itx case quirk. very weird they drew the sockets on one and not the other.

No, because the extrusion that attaches to the clip on the cable will orient the plugs regardless, and those are drawn in on both sockets.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I desperately need a new gaming computer but I'm a clueless rear end in a top hat regarding hardware beyond the most basic stuff, so I was planning on getting a pre-built, but my go-to local computer store seems to be out of commission for the foreseeable future. Anyone know of any good online deals (up to $2000) that would deliver to BC, Canada? I don't really have any specific needs or wants in mind, I just need something that isn't slamming against the wall of next-gen game requirements :v:

Memory Express or Canada Computers

grack
Jan 10, 2012

You could just mount the SSDs wherever you want with some double sided tape. They don't get hot and have no moving parts.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

wolfs posted:

heyo - I bought a Ryzen 7 5800X3D.

i have 161 mm “max cooler height” to play with per DIYPC, but would like to stay in the air cooling world, preferably single fan “low profile” style since those seem to universally screw into the mobo as opposed to using spring tension to install and keep in place. or am I wrong? I’m mostly used to stock AMD coolers.

I quite like the look of the Thermalright AXP-90 X47. But is there a better, sub-$100, option out there?

Virtually all replacement coolers will screw in to a backplate, either the original AM4 backplate supplied with the motherboard or a new one provided in the box. There's no reason to limit yourself to low profile coolers given the clearance you have available.

The Scythe Fuma Rev. B is the default recommendation, but the Thermalright PA120 is also supposed to be quite good. They'll both fit in your case and both screw in to backplates for mounting.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Here's a fun PC building issue from the "What the hell"

Built myself a new computer in March with an i5-11400 and B560M. Worked fine up until about two days ago, when it suddenly refused to POST. Did all the normal troubleshooting steps I know - checked cables/plugs, used one RAM stick at a time in every slot, removed and remounted the cooler, removed the graphics card and tried IGP, clear CMOS, updated BIOS, removed everything but core components as well as checked the socket and contacts for damage. Finally I said "gently caress it" and installed a 10100F that I had laying around and the computer booted up fine.

Contacted Intel support and they offered a warranty replacement, but asked that I set the RAM speed to 3200MHZ and tried rebooting

It worked.

I didn't even think of this because when I originally built my computer I enabled the XMP profile for the RAM I was using, which is 3600MHz. Turned out that after three months of running perfectly well, the slight overclock on the RAM (the 11400 only officially supports 3200MHz) caused the CPU to become unstable enough to prevent the system from completing the POST. Also, clearing the CMOS didn't fix the issue because for some reason it was defaulting to 3600MHz instead of 2133MHz. I didn't even think to check this because the 10100F booted just fine despite that chip only officially supporting 2666MHz.

What a pain, but it's working. Learn something new every day, I guess

grack fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 27, 2022

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqUanz860tg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2QPTcRIipk

These look solid.

These also may now be the best budget cases with 5.25" bays. Hiding them in the bottom in the PSU shroud is a smart design choice that doesn't compromise the airflow for your main components.

Yes, hiding 5.25" bays in shame is the best option.

Also I watched the GN video and it's really weird that Fractal went to all the effort of adding colour variants but didn't give the fans a mode that actually matches those variants with the built in controller.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Freakazoid_ posted:

Well this hasn't made my case selection any easier.

This looks like a replacement for the Focus G. I was looking at the G Mini specifically because I want both that size case and 5¼ bays. I can't seem to find cpu/gpu thermal information on it though. Would it be safe to assume, because it doesn't have Pop's psu shroud, which is what Steve thinks is the main culprit for warmer gpu temps, that the Focus G could handle a high-end gpu?

I don't know if one would be better than the other in stock configuration., but you could theoretically put a bottom mounted intake fan in the Focus G/G Mini that would feed air straight to the GPU.

You'd have to remove the internal drive cage as well as be pretty disciplined about your cabling to make it work, though.

Alternatively, replacing the front fans in the Pop Air seems to help (at least according the GN review), but it would end up more expensive over all.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

PSU is a 850W BITFENIX Whisper M 80 + Gold Modular, motherboard is an ASUS TUF GAMING Z690-P D4.... and I'm gonna be honest, how do I know it has an antenna hooked up? Because I can't see anything like that on the old or new PC.

The antenna should be external. If you can't see it, it's not hooked up.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Scythe posted:

I can't leave well enough alone and am thinking about building a second PC since I have two graphics cards, then repurposing my "old" one and/or selling it to a friend.

I've got a couple quick questions just to gut check my current thinking:

• CPU-wise, for 1440p gaming (mostly single player titles at ~90 FPS, no competitive multiplayer anything) using a 3080 10GB, do I need to go any higher than a 12400? My instinct is that a 12400 will be fine, but should I be considering a 12600K for $50 more?
  • Motherboard-wise, what's the current Intel ITX rec? Everything on PCPP seems badly reviewed or wildly expensive. Which chipset(s) should I be considering? Edit: to be clear, this machine will be used almost entirely for gaming; the mobo needs space for a 3080 and a single M.2 drive and that's about it. I want a front USB-C header but that's the only even kind of weird requirement.
  • CPU-cooling-wise, is there going to be an appreciable noise difference between going with something like an NH-L12S and two Noctua A14s vs. going with an AIO (either EK's 280mm AIO or an NZXT Kraken X63)? I was thinking of sticking with air on the theory it's going to be quieter (no pump noise) and easier to maintain. Especially for a 12400 an AIO seems like massive overkill, but I've never built with one, so want to double check.

You should probably pick a case first before you decide on cooling especially when you're bulding ITX. Something like a Cooler Master NR200 can support a reasonably-sized tower cooler that would work very well for a 12400.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

SubjectVerbObject posted:

So I got an I5 12400 and a MSI B660m-a pro. It has defeated me. I am unable to install the stock I5 cpu cooler. I have watched all the videos on installing the cooler - opposing sides, make sure the barbs are below the level of the motherboard, but I am coming to the point where I will damage something. I see other l1700 coolers available, but 60$ more eats into my budget. I got everything from Micro Center, so I am going to use their return policy.

Any ideas on a build that a 50 + year old with poor eyesight and manual dexterity can put together? I was under 500 if I reused HDs and video card.

If you bought the parts from Micro Center you could probably ask someone there to install the cooler for you, especially if it meant not having to do a return.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Your system bottleneck has changed from the GPU to the CPU when playing games, meaning the CPU is getting *much* higher utilization and thus a higher thermal load. The first thing to do would be to remove the cooler, clean the cooler and CPU, and re-mount the cooler using fresh thermal compound. The existing compound is probably rock hard at this point and not providing a good thermal interface.

Alternatively, get a new CPU cooler because Intel's stock coolers are poo poo.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Cable routing

grack
Jan 10, 2012

You should be fine, the temps are high but not terrible for running a stress test. If you're really concerned, get HWInfo and check the graph of CPU frequency when running something. That will tell you if your 12700K is thermal throttling, or at least not maintaining maximum boost.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I went in a similar direction but in extreme other end of the price spectrum - I rebuilt my system in a Deepcool Mattrexx 55 Mesh (goddamn does Deepcool have stupid names for their products) that I picked up for $50 CDN. Didn't come with any fans, but I had plenty left over.

It's got a lot of annoying "cheap case" features like punch out slot covers and a riveted hard drive cage, but it was astonishingly easy to build in. It's not a particularly large case, but there's a ton of room behind the motherboard tray and above the motherboard. It also supports 3x140MM front fans, which is great. The slots are currently populated by three Arctic P14s, two of which were left over from my old build. My system is basically whisper quiet now and even under gaming loads it's barely audible.

The only issue I had, and it's a weird one, is that the case really needs more cable tie-down points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

teagone posted:

Which fan control software allows auxilary fan curves set to GPU temps? My mainboard BIOS pulls temp info from CPU and some other source, but no GPU :(

Fan Control https://github.com/Rem0o/FanControl.Releases