Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Is it ever worthwhile to upgrade a torch for the fire damage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Ghostlight posted:

I finished the entire game as arcane/bleed and I have no idea what lynchpin item you're even describing.

A certain headgear, I believe.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I stumbled into the Godskin Duo fight unprepared and was able to beat them on the first try. OTOH, I am shameless about abusing Mimic Tear and was powerstancing Moonveil and a Cold Uchi, both fully upgraded.

Now, Malenia, that's a roadblock for me. Either I or my summon dies to a single combo out of nowhere.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Lawdog69 posted:

What’s the easiest way to beat Radagon + Elden Beast? I’m just losing steam on this game (great as it is) and want to finish it off before moving on to something new for a while. Have gotten Elden Beast to half a couple times now and don’t really feel like spending another 4 hours trying.

Black Knife Tiche +10, probably assisted by some black flame incantations.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Darth Walrus posted:

Apart from the Blasphemous Blade, which strength/faith weapons should I really be looking out for?

Medium Doot

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Chevy Slyme posted:

Fast travel is blocked until you reach the first grace.

I don't think I could travel out of FA until I killed the Godskin Duo.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

ZeusCannon posted:

So is the implication that Millicent invades you in the swamp and then the player is responsible for her lost arm when you meet her at the church?

If you haven't finished Millicent's questline, the answer is a spoiler.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
You can also pop runes occasionally when you find a merchant selling certain ammo types to give yourself enough to not have to think about them for a long time, with purchased arrows usually doing more damage than crafted ones.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Offensive miracles were originally very overpowered in DS2 and then were nerfed into worthlessness. 10-12 high-damage casts of lightning spear down to 3-4 which did less damage to most things than before.

I don't think it was the case right at launch, but there was absolutely a period where every boss fight with summons was just 3 dudes circling the edge of the arena chucking lightning non-stop. The nerf was officially supposed to increase the damage per cast while nuking the number of casts, but they got the numbers wrong somehow and just never fixed it.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

loquacius posted:

This feels like another of those points where this game hints that there is lore to know, but simply does not tell it to you. Who are these other Tarnished they want me to assassinate? Why do they want me to kill them? What is their end goal? Who, basically, are these motherfuckers?

Don't think too hard about it. Just go out and kill a few beasts.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Guillermus posted:

Whip (strike damage), morning star from a chest in Weeping Peninsula, Flail from Limgrave next where you get torrent...

Morningstar is extremely good at filling multiple roles in the early game without asking much in stats. Among other things, it will completely destroy pumpkinheads between the stun and the bleed.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Tolth posted:

Very Very Great Sword

Large and Great Great and Large Club Club

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Lobsters aren't enemies to be fought, they're environmental hazards to be avoided.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Why argue about the right attitude to play Elden Ring with, when you could just be playing Elden Ring instead?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Fextralife mantra. just blast out some misinformation and some of it might be right by accident

I feel like presenting video game information in a readable and accurate fashion without annoying autoplay video ads is one of those technologies that society has somehow completely forgotten over the past decade.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

The Anime Liker posted:

This is the absolute pinnacle of alpha moves

Then you flask up after regressing.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Miyazaki, lover of bare-footed giantesses, is living his best life.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Harrow posted:

For example (late game spoilers for any new players) as soon as I saw basilisks jump out of the Lake of Rot I couldn't stop laughing, it's like a perfect punchline.

It's a bit of a repeat of the same joke from DS3; I burst out laughing when I first heard that distinctive sound in the poison swamp part of the Keep.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Angry Diplomat posted:

No I agree with you, Borealis is just straight up sort of a horseshit fight. He's far from unbeatable, but his fight is not nearly as cool as it should be, precisely because it often arbitrarily punishes you in really frustrating ways that have no apparent relationship to your decisions or skill.

The other dragons are cool fights (annoying camera/targeting issues notwithstanding) but Borealis has the unique honour of being the only non-magma dragon that makes me say "ugh, do I really wanna fight this guy?" instead of "hell yeah hell yeah I'm gonna fight this guy and eat his heart".

e: it doesn't help that his stomp attacks also throw ice clouds that aren't easy to see while you're looking up at the huge fuckoff dragon trying to turn you into paste. It really feels like that fight was intended to have you eating frost boluses to manage your buildup, which is not the most practical strategy when stopping for a snack can potentially get you caught in a hitscan 360 degree AOE that damages and frostbites you regardless

I just parked Latenna on the nearby ridge and kited the dragon by riding Torrent in figure 8 in front of him while Latenna did all the actual damage.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

No Dignity posted:

It's like the Platonic Saint video

Doesn't contain either the Dungeon Master voice or references to people requesting that he do the Dungeon Master voice, though.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

No Dignity posted:

Elden Ring felt more like a new beginning that an end

Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

distortion park posted:

giant enemies just aren't that fun.

The Medium Doot makes giant enemies quite fun.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

feelix posted:

I'm really not, apparently. Do you have any comparable examples? I like Frazetta's art, but that does not seem like his style at all.

It's not exactly the same, but Death Dealer 6 strikes some similar notes (without the gigantism/dead horse). And you can't really call Death Dealer "conventionally attractive" when he doesn't exactly have a face.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Is 146 too high to summon people for Malenia? Not seeing any signs (yes I activated the Marika thingy and used a remedy).

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Still couldn't get any summons for Malenia, but I ended up brute-forcing it through the power of a Mimic Tear dual wielding greathammers, one of them being a Great Stars with Prelate's Charge so the mimic would occasionally heal itself.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

khwarezm posted:

Also he constantly, pointlessly refreshes his Carian Phalanx despite his previous instance of the attack not being used instead of doing an actual useful attack, which struck me as a pretty noticeable hole in his AI.

Rogier (Twitch mod ver.) does something similar, although his does have a powerful followup thrust.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Why bother crafting a short-duration weapon buff when the key component is extremely rare in the world and can't be purchased?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Bloody Slash hits like a truck in the early game, and a lot of enemies walk right into it.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

bear named tators posted:

Also any favorite STR/FTH weapons/gear/spells/etc?

Medium Doot.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
There's a breakable statue in the Stormveil courtyard with an Omen right by it, but the Omen can't actually break it. You'd have to fight through a bunch of barrel-throwing birds to reach a giant, then kite him back to the statue to break it for 5x SS(1) and 1x SS(2). I really don't think it's worth the effort.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

DoubleNegative posted:

They also destroy those summoning pots in the chariot catacombs. The shackles are fantastic.

Specifically Margit's, it has a much larger range than Mogh's.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Last Celebration posted:

It’s in Gaol Cave, a mine near the start of Caelid.

Earwicker posted:

thanks! i think i saw that one and got scared off when i was very low level, time to go back

The wyrm is in Gael Tunnel, not Gaol Cave. Gaol Cave's boss is a frenzied duelist who drops the putrid corpse ashes, then you can go past the boss room to get the Regalia of Eochaid.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
If you're going to kill Greyroll, don't forget to pick up the gold scarab and a gold chicken leg for max soul gain. If you do it early you can easily get a dozen or more levels' worth of souls.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Jay Rust posted:

especially the crystalmen.

Crystalians are as vulnerable to standard damage as they are to strike, they just resist everything except those two a bunch. The big advantage of strike weapons against them is that strike weapons usually also deal a ton of poise damage and poise-breaking the crystalians is how you make their resistances go away (and probably into the negatives).

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
To combine the subjects, Misericorde is a fairly light weapon that you can equip in addition to your primary weapon, on which you can put an Ash of War that covers an elemental or strategic gap in your spell selection, and also use for big ripostes. Flame of the Redmanes is highly recommended once you find it (and is good at setting up poise breaks to riposte), but you can also look for something that does crowd control. Ashes scale in damage with the upgrade level of the weapon as well as the stat their element is associated with, and their FP usage is usually rather low. Sacred Blade is another highly useful if situational ash that can be found very early, which will trivialize anything having to do with skeletons or other things that Live In Death.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Wow, Pest Threads with 300+ spell boost just deletes Elden Beast.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Earwicker posted:

yeah, the mimic is just as good as most rando co-op people in my experience, but i still summon because i enjoy the variety

Mimic is probably better than most humans, since it can face-tank massive amounts of damage rather than just dying to one badly judged attack, it doesn't inflate the boss's stats, and its strategy is coordinated with yours.

I'm shameless about using spirit ashes. Try the greatshield crew against Godfrey's golden ghost some time, they completely lock him down.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The archers aren't much trouble if you put up your shield and charge to the next spot in between their barrages.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Epic High Five posted:

I think there's some puzzle with the lights that you're supposed to do to avoid them, which is why it's so much funnier that absolutely everybody just employs the "hit da bricks" strategy which they've absolutely learned by now if they've gotten to that point

It's amazing how much of the game can be bypassed by hopping on Torrent and knowing where to go. Everything pre-Leyndell other than entry into Leyndell itself, Ainsel River Main (+LoR), and Deeproot Depths can be pulled off without even fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Phenotype posted:

Hey, what's the lore reason for those Cuckoo knights hanging out in the Frenzied Flame village? I remember being startled when they noticed me and started blasting flames out of their eyes at me.

Probably a subjugation squad who went mad either from exposure to the flame or from falling into despair from seeing some truly heinous poo poo.