Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Calaveron posted:

So, that encounter in Raya Lucaria with the giant jar and the three wizards spraying you with magic huh?

If you get one of the abilities that lets you reflect magic you can flip the table on those assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I really want Bluepoint to do a Bloodborne remake, but they better not gently caress it up like the DeS remake. I swear to god if they don’t keep it at an inconsistent 20-45 FPS then it will completely ruin the vibe of the original.

Here's what I want for Bloodborne:

1. PC release
2. Good frame rate

The end. I really wouldn't want some complete visual overhaul like they did for Demon's Souls.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Blue Raider posted:

Do you all feel like this game is more generous with graces than other Soulsborne games? The only other one I’ve played at any length is DS1, and it was was less forgiving with bonfires iirc.

Yeah, it might be an effect of the open world necessitating lots of places to spawn to so that you don't have to walk for ages.

And that's not even mentioning the stakes of Marika.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

As the official opinion haver who speaks for the Bloodborne community, we will boycott Bluepoint if they alter the frame rate from the original version. We will not abuse another Demon Souls incident.

You joke but I bet there's people out there that think that Blighttown should still have single digit frame rate and any change is a travesty to the integrity of the series.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I remember when Nier: Automata was in development, Yoko Taro talked about toying with "deliberate" glitches as a hazard or status effect. Maybe they could try something like that if they ever get around to making Elden Ring 2/Dark Souls IV/Bloodborne Revengance.

In the DLC for Elden Ring they'll have a rematch with Malenia where her Waterfowl dance will also uninstall the game and hijack your computer to mine bitcoin.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Oxxidation posted:

i think every Fromsoft DLC involves time travel, given how all their settings had wacky stuff happening in the distant past

Sekiro probably would have had it too, with how often it brought up Tomoe

Sekiro already has it since the sequences in Hirata Estate are meant to be memories of the past where you can go back and interact with events in different ways.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Farum Azula already introduced time screwery but so many souls game had time travel DLC didn’t they? Or am I just remembering Ds1, Bloodborne, and the couple of levels Sekiro did with it

I would not be surprised to see time travel dlc rematches when the demigods are at their peak

It seems to be generally agreed upon that the end of the Ringed City in DS3 sees the Ashen One get transported to a time when the endless repetition of the linking of the fire has reduced literally everything to a wasteland of ash.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 9, 2022

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Sekiro has a multiple really obvious sequel hooks depending on the ending they want to use and I could easily see Tomoe showing up as a major character in the next game.

Even with Dark Souls you could argue that the Nameless King was teased since the first game.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

styls trill epic posted:

How is this thread still so active wtf

Game's huge dawg.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Frankston posted:

The best boss in Elden Ring is the ghost boat man who does rad drifts and poo poo

He's trying his best, bless him.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

RBA Starblade posted:

The loathsome god eater

YoooOOOOuuuu Jooooin the dung king as familyyyyy, together we will devour the very gods shiiiiit!

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

freebooter posted:

Really stuck on Commander Niall and I'm only remotely getting anywhere using the bewitching branch cheese (I wouldn't even call that a cheese), but I still haven't beat him despite using up:

- All the bewitching branches that merchant sells you
- All the bewitching branches I could craft after scouring the entire loving world for every last Miqullon's Lily on Fextralife, and as far as I can tell those lilies don't grow back.

Am I hosed?

I'm sorry if this is too close 'git gud' but what really got me through that fight was having nailed down most of the parry windows for the knights that you face in the game. For Niall himself, he really hangs back while both the knights are alive and when he becomes more active, when he's doing his lightning slam attack so long as you are in front of him you can also parry his flagpole attacks that come out right after reliably, and he gets put into a riposte state with only one parry.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

satanic splash-back posted:

Both his knights poof if you get him to phase 2 by doing half his life or so

Yeah but I found it easier to focus down one of the knights, specifically the two swords one who has some nasty combos, quickly, and at that point the sword and shield guy was a cakewalk. I think that's a better strategy then letting three enemies hack away at you at once.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

freebooter posted:

Thanks for the tips on Niall, will give them all a crack. To be clear it's his summons I'm having issues with, not Niall himself - when I still had bewitching branches and could force him to kill them off I was pretty reliably getting his health down to just a tiny fraction before losing the fight.

If you want to try my parry strat there's another one of those double sword knights from the back of the grace site in castle Sol's church if you go around a little tower there with the two crossbow guys, he could be useful to practice on.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Maxy Boy posted:

Godwyn's corpse in Deeproot also has a mermaid tail - wonder what the aquatic imagery is about? It gives me Bloodborne's Fishing Hamlet vibes

Something that's been pointed out is that in Elden Ring flowing water is symbolic of staving off stagnation and decay, notably Malenia learned her style of combat, especially the waterfowl dance, from a blind blue swordsman who is said to have sealed away a god of rot, and his sword and clothing highlight how he was a force that worked against the rot that would afflict the land and Malenia in particular. In that sense Malenia is almost like a shark, she has to keep moving, or flowing, to stay abreast of the effects of the scarlet rot. Accordingly, the scarlet rot pools in lakes and swamps with little to no flow, we can see that in Caelid and the Scarlet lake of rot underneath the surface. In comparison the underground rivers are free from the rot.

To bring this around to Godwyn's corpse, I think it might be because his death signified a strike against the stultifying, stagnating influence of the Erdtree and the Greater will, so his remains started to take on the physical features of something that would live in clean water, a fish. And its interesting that the general setting of deeproot depths is dominated by a massive waterfall, the largest movement of water in the game which makes it shockingly lush for somewhere with little access to sunlight. That's just a theory though, I know its all very tenuous.

Blue Raider posted:

Yeah, Rykard is one of the oddest things in the game and one of the least explained, relative to other shardbearers. Except maybe Mohg, but there’s not a lot to say about him.

I think Rykard is meant to be a twisted version of Ranni, like his sister he looks for any way to strike against the Greater will and powers that be, but his method in doing so has led him to become completely twisted and obsessed with his own gluttony and power. He starts to recreate the worst tendencies of the powers that he opposes and seems set on becoming an all consuming tyrant, as opposed to Ranni who seems to want to see these kinds of all controlling forces fade into the background.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Apr 10, 2022

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Mescal posted:

how do i avoid the draconic knight's lightning?

If you mean the homing lightning attack, you can roll it, but you pretty much have to do it the moment he 'fires'.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Bloodborne is big on the idea of “kegare” which is like stagnation from lack of movement.

Yeah I also remember seeing a really good analysis about this in DS3, and how it applies to the concept of the Deep and the environs in and around the Cathedral of the Deep in that game, and IMO the Cathedral is one of the best locations From ever came up with.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The trick with EB is to get good At radagon. And then you have lots of flasks to tank through EB. His attacks hurt but they're not as fast and punishing as the rest of the bosses, so you've lots of time to heal. His grab is pretty obvious when his hand starts glowing. The tricky attacks are:

his sword sweeps that shoot a Holy arc - you can roll through these at a distance, but he does speed up through the combo.

The elden ring that drops down and then shrinks - you need to get out of the ring ASAP. Just start running and jump over the shrinking ring. Even if it hits you it's not as damaging as the explosion, so just roll like mad and get out.

When he stabs the ground and his sword ignites and blasts you with radiation - run the gently caress away and hit him in the tail.

And stack as much holy resist as you can - armour, haligtree talisman, that Lords resistance Incant.

Radagan is also extremely susceptible to parries, though he takes 3 to put him into a riposte state. If you stay close to him most of the attacks that he does are parryable and its pretty fun seeing him charge one of his big area slam attacks thinking 'Get outta here Tarnished I'm about to gently caress you u- oh no, my super attack bounced harmlessly off your shield!'

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

that's boring, way too loving close to see their tell animations in full, and not even really safer given if you go a pixel too far back they'll do tail sweeps or take off and breath attack straight down and poo poo

also it means you're not aiming at their head so all your attacks are doing, like, half damage

e: this isn't Dark Souls 3, bows are real weapons now, greatbows especially, you're not loving "plinking", you're hitting for huge chunks of life on their weak point like Bard the Bowman or better yet using Arrow Rain / Radahn's Rain like a giant arrow shotgun

I don't know about other people but the Dragons in this game seem easy when you understand their moveset, just stay on Torrent and stick in front of them, you can hack away at their heads for extra damage and run away when they start doing things like breathing fire.

The dragons based on Ancient Dragon Lansseax are a lot tougher and I found it better to stick to their feet since their heads never seem to be in a location where they can be hit, especially when you don't have access to the horse. Fighting those guys on foot in Farum Azula was really annoying.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Oxxidation posted:

something i haven't heard mentioned before re: maliketh: killing gurranq in the beast chapel reveals that he knew all along marika had betrayed him and shattered the ring, but he stayed loyal nonetheless

this story is not kind to Good Boys

Does Maliketh, especially in his beast clergyman form, have different dialogue depending on whether or not you completed Gurranq's quest? When I fought him I think he did compared to what I saw on some people playing on youtube who didn't finish Gurranq's questline.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
The loving bears in this game give me a small taste of the horror that must be Alberta.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Phenotype posted:

The bears are not as terrifying as those awful mutated bird things imo. I still don't know how to deal with the ones in Mohg's lake of blood if you can't pop them in the face with a bow from a mile away and trick them into running off a ledge. And they are insanely aggro from long distances, can close ground insanely quickly, and will never stop chasing you unless you can break LOS and somehow keep it broken. I still don't know how I managed to juke the one that was chasing me on the last White Mask Invader -- legitimately brilliant move, btw, to have these nightmare crows chasing you and then hahaha gently caress you out of nowhere your horse disappears.

I actually didn't find the crows too bad, even the blood ones. I found if you stay on your horse they tend to whiff a lot of their attacks if you stay very close to them, but you need to high tail it out of there when they drop on the ground and do that repeated pecking when they are on their bellies, but even then when that attack is over its a great opportunity to hit them in the head.

The thing about the bears is that, in addition to every other attack hitting like a freight train and having huge hitboxes, they have that one lunge attack that seems to come out of nowhere.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i don't understand how anyone can dump on DS2 and praise Elden Ring as one of the best. take either side of the love or it hate it argument, i'm not gonna wade into that, but they're incredibly similar in terms of what they get right and what they grievously gently caress up

like it's almost literally just DS2: 2

The big setpiece bosses and areas are much better than their counterparts in DS2. In fact I think that the level design in places like Raya Lucaria and the other legacy dungeons are the best that From has ever done.

Its just then you have the rushed gank fights and copypasted dungeons between that stuff.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 10, 2022

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

the level design is an absolutely massive step down from DS3, especially in terms of the layout accommodating and supporting multiplayer

I'll say this now that I think about it, there's specific areas in DS3 that are really good in terms of their layout, I'm particularly thinking about the Cathedral of the Deep and Grand Archives where they are big sprawling areas with tons of secrets and side routes but still find a way to converge everything around 1 bonfire that you unlock different routes too. Its some of the best 3D level design ever. I think that's something I would have liked to see in at least one legacy dungeon in Elden Ring, the Grace placements really end up feeling willy nilly in this game and it would have been cool if there was a few areas that were designed around a single Site of Grace rather than vice versa.

Jeez, people always mock DS3 for some awkward Bonfire placements but apart from some bizarre situations that seem to be borne out having a bonfire dropped beside every defeated boss, namely the walk from Dragonslayer Armour to Grand Archives, some areas are actually really well designed around careful Bonfire placement.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

stev posted:

That's a tiny portion of Raya Lucaria and it's fine. All the stuff with the water wheel and the academy itself is great.

And the Capital and Elphael are both top tier. Volcano Manor is good and the Blood Palace is also in the game.

Farum Azula could have been awesome if it weren't so loving grey, like its layout is quite interesting with lots of hidden paths leading to cool things like Alexander's last stand or Dragonlord Placidusax.

I also think that Stormveil is a great initial dungeon. I've seen people say that it and its surroundings are basically an extended tutorial to teach the player how to approach the game and I think its alongside the Undead Burg as a fantastic first area.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 10, 2022

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I dunno, I did my entire playthrough of Elden Ring without being invaded once in 200 hours because of the change in the rules. It sort of feels like it takes some colour out of the old formula where its previously more unpredictable nature made it more memorable.

I just find that idea of another player being part of the potential hazards of going through a level such an interesting concept but its not really something you have to worry about in Elden Ring. Although 9 times out of 10 I would lose PvP fights in the Souls games.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Lord_Magmar posted:

I wonder if it’s a cultural thing, I feel like a lot of Japanese multiplayer games don’t have good anti-troll systems (Master Duel for Yugioh still struggles with self-killing decks) because that sort of behaviour is less common in Japan due to cultural politeness norms.

I mean its very much built into the core of those games both mechanically and in terms of in-universe justification that invading players are preying on those weaker than them. The troll-ish nature of invading always struck me as the intent from the start.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

someone made a really good post about a thousand pages ago about how that's not necessarily the case, and that if you look at Demons' Souls it's more that invading was supposed to be one of the only ways to get extremely limited resources that you needed to survive -- desperation and scarcity, rather than trollishness. it's just that a) that didn't really work out in practice to begin with and b) it's definitely been abandoned since

Dark Souls 3 is usually the one most seared into my mind and I'm reminded of how Ringfinger Leonhard, who's basically the tutorial for invading, is just straight up telling you to attack and gently caress over other people for your gleeful benefit. It very much feels like its meant to counter the cooperative nature of the online element with summons, instead of helping somebody get past a hard boss you elbow your way into their game and ruin their day.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Lord_Magmar posted:

No I meant the actual passive rune farming thing that amounts to dicking people over with zero intention of engaging with any part of the game.

I was responding to the discussion of people hiding in actual tiny impossible crevice locations and using taunter’s tongue and farming runes when invaders leave in frustration.

Eh, I'd put that kind of stuff down to poor balancing and the intrinsic difficulty of corralling players the way you'd like. I used to play Team Fortress 2 and there were always greifers who'd do things like grab the intel and deliberately never actually cap it so that the entire game would stall and nothing would happen, its hard to control without putting in increasingly stringent rulesets.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Lord_Magmar posted:

The idea that challenge requires punitive results for failure is interesting, because I would argue that Dark Souls as a series never punished you for failure ever. Not really, you never lose progress in a meaningful way.

Losing Souls has never actually mattered in these games, Hollowing etc is more tangible but also is generally a singular on/off statement and the games are designed that you can do them without using humanity. The worlds are generally non-linear, and to my mind actual proper progress has always been about your own knowledge and understanding of the world.

So I’ve never felt punished by failure, because I don’t feel that I have ever failed whilst playing these games. Died sure, but that just means I need to be better and take that knowledge to keep moving forwards. To me the challenge is in engaging with the game on its terms and triumphing, misery would be anathema to that because why participate in something that makes you miserable.

Losing souls is certainly a major punishment, and I'm not just saying that because I fell off a cliff and lost all of the souls I got off Malenia. But going back further, think of the curse mechanic in the first game. That was ridiculously punishing, especially for players who were new and didn't know how to mitigate it.

I think its also important to think about it in comparison to other games. People always say stuff like 'Losing souls doesn't matter, you can just grind more' but I can't think of any RPG or similar game that has anything close to that level of lost progress in a mainstream space, its not like Fallout 4 has a mechanic where you can lose experience you've already gained. I feel like I have to go back to something like old Sierra adventure games and their situations where the game was fundamentally incompletable that could be triggered by events hours earlier you had no idea about when it comes a degree of the player getting potentially screwed over in a mainstream title.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Mr. Crow posted:

Many of the most celebrated RPGs of all time require you to go out of your way and grind for hours to progress because of literal mechanical road blocks, and your arguing these games are better because sometimes (never) you might have to spend 10 minutes grinding to recover lost souls???

That's different though, its not really lost progress, its just crappy progression.

Also what games are you really talking about? I like oldschool RPGs and there aren't many where I feel like there was pressure for me to mindlessly grind for hours, maybe an MMO or something but that's not my taste.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

stev posted:

How do people ever lose the souls you get from bosses? You can put them into levels immediately after you fight them. What else do you need 450,000 for?

I'm just the worst when it comes to spending souls, I get obsessed with seeing numbers go up so I tend to wander around after multiple bosses holding off on using the resources until it reaches the next nice round number.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

This stresses me out.

Imagine how I feel!

On a related note, the Twiggy Cracked Tear physick is incredibly useful for somebody like me, its like an endlessly reusable sacrificial twig.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Like grinding is established enough in the Souls games that we already have memes about that crow in Mohgwyn Palace.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 10, 2022

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

stev posted:

As much as I respect speedrunners there's something especially soulless about these zip runs. They don't fight a single enemy. Within a week they'll have found a zip that takes you straight to the end and the WR will be under 30 seconds.

Hopefully once they've done that the community will move on to try some actually good speedruns that involve playing the game (I know there's a sub-90 minute glitch free one - more of that please).

I'd say they'll come up with an all boss run to account for this, like that's one of the most popular categories for the other Souls games precisely because of this.

Though they'll have to determine which bosses really count as 'true' bosses because there's no way anybody is doing all like 100 bosses when you include the mini bosses.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Apr 11, 2022

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Its one of those things where you wonder what should and should not be patched from the POV of making a cool looking speedrun.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I didn't find Subterranean Shunning grounds that difficult, it seemed on the same level as Leyndell, Royal capital.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Could you imagine how many tens of millions of lives could be saved if anyone in the Dark Souls or Elden Ring universes learned to put barriers beside deadly drops?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Calaveron posted:

Isn't the goal in all the soulsborne games to make it so that people can start dying again? Safety rails would just prevent that goal

Sadly the curses mean people don't stay dead so there should a pile of mangled moaning bodies clawing at the player at the bottom of every cliff and valley.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I don't know I would say that Elden Ring is harder than DS3 since they have added the spirit ashes.

Though if you are trying to avoid using both ashes and regular summons, and maybe also avoiding some of the more broken int/dex builds, I would absolutely say its a harder game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
DS3 embering you after a boss fight is pretty genius, you think 'hey cool, free health!' and it can be seen as part of the reward for the fight, but it leaves the door open for you to have to handle an invader, especially since you're usually pressing forward into an area where you haven't killed the next boss, but with it being unlikely you'll find that boss for quite a while.