Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
After much suffering at her hands, I am now power tripping in my Malenia costume in NG+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
nvm

snoremac fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 31, 2022

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Can the waterfowl dance be completely dodged? I could dodge the second and third phase fairly often rolling forward to her right. The first phase I never worked out.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

Congrats on discovering the true secret to defeating a tough boss - complaining on the internet
I complained about Malenia a lot before success. I credit failing so much that I finally chose to use something other than my heavy giant crusher (which replaced my heavy hammer since the start of the game). I used... a cold giant crusher. And I was stunned to see what frostbite can do, 145 hours in!

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I ignored the summon ashes on my first playthrough. Which ones do I want to beef up for use in NG+?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

Ye. Run from the first volley, dodge through her on the second, walk away from the third.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72_yLXmIJN4

Note: it's not nearly as easy to pull off as this video makes it look, but her start-up is slow enough that I've never had trouble getting away from the first round and could usually keep the second and third to only a few hits.
Ah okay. I thought she'd just zipline to where you are before flurrying.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Don't From have a B team that made Dark Souls 2? Need new game. There was only a year between 2 and Bloodborne and DS3!

snoremac fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Mar 31, 2022

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

IIRC from what people were saying earlier, more DS2 people worked on this game than the "A-team"
Oh that makes sense unfortunately.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I'm a pathetic explorer, completely missed Jarburg on first playthrough.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Has there been any kind of BotW/Elden Ring map comparison? I feel like BotW would be the bigger of the two despite getting more playtime from ER.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Kalsco posted:

Okay so I'm going to blunder in here and complain about a boss fight:

Malenia. What the gently caress am I supposed to do during the blade flurry? Is this a "better get a greatshield buddy" because rolling seems completely pointless and it basically one shots me unless she decides to do it to my spirit.

None of the other fights I've done feel as cheap as this.
The second and third flurry can be rolled through. Someone in this thread recommended running away before the first one but I didn't do that and just ate it.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Are there enough hidden paths and such that keeping messages on is worth it? I've played before but don't remember. Just don't want them there otherwise.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

What's the most OP dexterity and/or faith-based weapon in the early going?

Trying to have a peaceful as can be run but still feel dirty using spirit ashes. I used them against Margit and was so ashamed I leapt to my death to end the fight.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Vermain posted:

aside from the stock standard uchi having a good mix of physical damage and bleed, i'm a big proponent of the great epee early for DEX builds. highly versatile weapon and you can slap endure on it to trade counter hits with bosses like godrick for an easy win
Thanks, I'll seek it out.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

You can get a Guardian Swordspear off basic mobs in weeping and I think it has the best dex scaling of any weapon in the game, and gets some cool ashes since it's a halberd. Scaling doesn't mean much early on but I've heard it spoken of highly, quick for its class with a good moveset

Also in weeping is the Winged Scythe, a scythe with a solid ash of war and demanding both dex and faith and with bleed buildup in the bargain. These both use different upgrade mats so either or both would be fine.

edit - both of these also look sick as hell which is important. Great Epee is a bit more boring, but its default ash is one of the more underrated ones in the game, you can buy it from Limgrave Bernie to make it keen or sacred/flame art for faith
Cheers. Looking it up, the GSS seems a bit harder to obtain than that and you have to farm erdtree guardians to get it. It sounds the most interesting though so I might do that. I'll get all of these recommendations today anyway.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

This could apply to any game but it does particularly to ones like this. I wish you could easily google a question like how to further a specific NPC quest or what some lore is without being led to sites where ads are smashed all over your phone screen as you try to read the thing. That's just modern Internet but it's such a drag.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Does the map alert you when NPCs are now in areas you've previously visited or does it only record it when you see them?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Does anyone enjoy the dungeons with those fuckin little imp dorks

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I enjoyed all of the dungeons but not the fact that an entire class of them only gave out spirit ashes as rewards.
Yeah, as someone who never uses them it's always disappointment, though I do like reading the descriptions.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

I like the dungeons, but hate the imps.
Yeah, this is more what I meant when I brought this up. You have to enter most rooms wary of an imp ambush and I simply don't enjoy it.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I wonder if we ever see a game of Elden Ring's production value that is just as big without copy pasting dungeons and bosses, or if that's an investment a corporation would never allow due to time and money.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I thought Radagon and Marika were one and the same.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I’m sure this is not supported by The Lore or whatever, but I always imagined it as Gideon being stuck on the Godfrey boss fight until you show up, and Godfrey being stuck on Radagon/elden beast until you beat Gideon.
Is a lore reason given why you cannot really die like with bonfires in Dark Souls? Does that apply to other tarnished?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I love when the treespear stun locks a boss. Scaling isn't great but I'm enjoying it around the midpoint.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Mentat Radnor posted:

Treespear is a really fantastic DEX/FTH weapon for both PvE and PvP even at late game levels. The poise damage of it's heavy and jumping attacks is surprisingly high and you can buff/grease it.
I'm wondering what I'm gonna swap it with eventually. I initially chose DEX focus to use some small cool weapon, since my first playthrough I was all-in on strength and wound up with the giant hammer, but I think I naturally gravitate to big powerful weapons because they feel nice.

What's a neat mid/late game small cool weapon I can check out?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I don't like how if you fall a damage-causing distance and use Torrent's double jump it ignores the shift in momentum and damages you the same!

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Death is just a mishap in From.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Gatto Grigio posted:

Once I learned to use Rainbow Stones my deaths from falling damage dropped dramatically
I know you can drop them from the horse but in the moment, you just wanna see what happens

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I wonder if pre-rot Caelid was nice

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Oops, rounded a corner on a roof and there was a guy and I stabbed him off the roof and it was Gastoc.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Mustached Demon posted:

I only recently played through ds1 and enjoyed the 30 hours of fun and adventure.

Now doing it again because I didn't know defeating the end boss was the point of no return. Wanted to do the dlc too.
This was my first of these games and counting the DLC I was at 80+ hours. It's interesting how mileage varies depending on order, but what was I doing in all that time, just throwing myself at bosses and Blighttown again and again and again and again?

I did play Demon's Souls and the remake much later and had a similar 30ish time. The answer obviously is that you learn From's design and it crosses over games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I did spiritcaller cave today and when there was the pause after defeating the godskin noble I freaked like there was actually gonna be a third boss and was so relieved that it was just a stupid snail